SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Alpha-Stim, Fisher Wallace Sota Biotuner, PoNS, & similar "brain stimulation" devices

meistersinger

• Administrator

Thanks for the update, BentBuddha. I hope you'll find the residual symptoms fade in time. Please visit us and let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is an obvious scam. It looks like a device for treating TENS. Supposedly, the FDA cleared it for treatment of anxiety and depression.

i have one of those. helps with stress and stuff. cant say for sure about depression bc of my withdrawal syndrome. My brother used it and he has never been pn psych drugs and said it made him feel funny. But, i do still use it for stress, anxiety, and mood. Does help me

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• 2 months later...

Hi all- My psychiatrist prescribed the Fisher Wallace stimulator for me around 2 weeks ago. I did a search for it on this site and see it mentioned a few times (along with the alpha stim and I think another electrical stimulation device). Ive been using it at around 8pm and then in the middle of the night, around 3am, when I wake up and it seems to help me fall back to sleep.

Im somewhat scared of this machine, though. I can't find the long term effects mentioned anywhere or any mention of what it does to the body's natural ability to regulate neurotransmitters on its own. Is anyone aware of a withdrawal effect from these electric stimulator machines? Im so wary of "quick fixes." I emailed the company this morning, so hopefully I get some sort of response (not holding my breath for something all that helpful though).

Thanks for any info you all have!

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

I have been using one on and off for about a year. It does seem to help calm me down, but I cant say it ever did much for the depression caused by withdrawal syndrome. I personally feel as though this device is safe. It is a form of energy/electrical medicine and there are many energy type treatments available from acupuncture, to reiki, to zero point energy, to grounding. I personally think I get more benefit from grounding that from the fisher wallace. You should try this grounding thing, its great. You can buy a grounding pad for sleep, or you can go to the park or somewhere in nature , take off your shoes, and walk around on the grass/dirt (no concrete) and lay down if you wish. I feel great when I walk for a few minutes then lay down on my back for about 20 min. It brings a sense of calmness. Another device worth trying is the Bob Beck brain tuner which I read a comparison on and this particular person found it produced better results that the fisher wallace.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• 6 months later...

Hello -

I am about ready to give this a rental try out, but wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with this. I did have a Biotuner, which is a less expensive unit and I didn't find it helped with much of anything, but this one is supposed to be better.

I'm just wondering if it wouldn't help provide a little stimulation massage for the angry brain trying to withdraw from AD's.

Thank you,

Cat

http://www.alpha-stim.com/as100/

Finished slow taper on 4/6/14 from 20 mg to 6 beads over period of almost a year on Cymbalta and then quit cannabis around the time I DC'd Cymbalta.

Tried to go off completely 8/13 - 8/20 (didn't work) - Reinstated 10mg on 8/21/13

Off Adderall (2010 -2013) after 3.5 years since July 12th, 2013

Taking Tramadol 50 mg since 2007 for chronic pain

Lamictal 450 mg (from 2007 - 2009)

Lexapro (2004-2007 30 mg?)

Ambien (2009-2010)

Trazadone (2010-2011 for sleep)

2008-2010 -Trials of Wellbutrin, Paxil, Ritalin, Concerta, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Seroquel, Trileptal

Earlier history includes - long courses of Tricyclics, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil. Serzone, Celexa, Remeron, Zoloft for shorter periods.

Haldol, Lithium, Stelazine. Xanax, Clonipin, and Ativan have been used on and off, mostly Clonipin. Went through serious Xanax withdrawal a couple times in my life so far. Methadone (2003-2005 - psychiatrist/pain management doctor decided that was the first thing I ought to try for moderate chronic pain).  MS Contin 2005-2007 (aka Morphine)

I don't remember the name of the one I had a few years back.  I purchased it from the therapist I was seeing for EMDR therapy for the WD from Lexapro....

It was very good.  It was instant calmness for me.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I used to use the Biotuner and didn't think it helped much, but then at some point, my dog chewed the ear clip off of it and I need to get another set of ear clips from the company. I will do that tomorrow and when I get it going again, I'll give it another try and report if it works or not after a few times.

I am glad this sort of thing helped you!

Finished slow taper on 4/6/14 from 20 mg to 6 beads over period of almost a year on Cymbalta and then quit cannabis around the time I DC'd Cymbalta.

Tried to go off completely 8/13 - 8/20 (didn't work) - Reinstated 10mg on 8/21/13

Off Adderall (2010 -2013) after 3.5 years since July 12th, 2013

Taking Tramadol 50 mg since 2007 for chronic pain

Lamictal 450 mg (from 2007 - 2009)

Lexapro (2004-2007 30 mg?)

Ambien (2009-2010)

Trazadone (2010-2011 for sleep)

2008-2010 -Trials of Wellbutrin, Paxil, Ritalin, Concerta, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Seroquel, Trileptal

Earlier history includes - long courses of Tricyclics, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil. Serzone, Celexa, Remeron, Zoloft for shorter periods.

Haldol, Lithium, Stelazine. Xanax, Clonipin, and Ativan have been used on and off, mostly Clonipin. Went through serious Xanax withdrawal a couple times in my life so far. Methadone (2003-2005 - psychiatrist/pain management doctor decided that was the first thing I ought to try for moderate chronic pain).  MS Contin 2005-2007 (aka Morphine)

I think I paid about $300 for it and that was back in 2007.  It did break in  short time.  Trying to substitute Mindful Meditation for the machine.  It really did help and right away too.  They are more money than that now.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 9 months later...

Hi all, I've been off Prozac for 14months and Trazodone 8months.  I don't feel depressed but still have quite a bit of anxiety and insomnia. I was on meds for over 15 years.  I was doing some research and decided to give the bio-tuner a try. I thought I would log my experiences as it has greatly encouraged me reading others logs.

So I started today after work at 6:30 setting 1, it's 7:10pm now and I'm a bit spacy so bear with me. I felt a tingling sensation on my ears even with the tuner turned pretty far down. It was as if I could feel a sensation even in my brain it didn't bother me just  felt funny.  I read somewhere that setting 1 and 4, 3-4 hours before sleep was optimal. I'm already tired and ready for bed I hope I sleep well. The last few months I've relied on over the counter sleep aids because I am determined to not go back to prescriptions if at all possible I sure hope this works :)

Last night my muscles were completely relaxed.  I was rear ended 3 years ago and got whiplash so the chiropractor recommended I become a back sleeper...I've slept on my side my entire life. :unsure: Anyway, try switching to your back when you have insomnia! So, long story short, I've developed a way to be comfortable I have this pillow at my feet to keep the blankets from pushing my feet forward that was really bothering me. UGG

Back to the bio-tuner. My husband sometimes snores and he did last night. I woke up but I think I would have woken anyway. I typically wake 4 times a night...

So at 12;45 I decided to give myself another session because I wasn't tired enough. I still had to take more melatonin but no gaba. I still woke up a few times but not fully. My husband gets up at 4:15 so the alarm woke me usually he sleeps hard and wakes before the alarm so I usually don't wake up. Looking at this it's no wonder I don't sleep! I am investing in a better set of earplugs today so I can give this bio-tuner a fair chance at keeping me asleep.

This morning I feel calm and still a bit tired I would have slept longer but was awoke by my alarm at 7 because I have a dentist appointment.

I'd love to get to a place where I go to bed a 10 and wake at 6:30 with no alarm... :D

If anyone else has some info or has tried a similar device I would love to hear your experiences.

Oh Ya the reason I brought up my sleep position is because I was so relaxed last night I didn't stay in my robotic position with my feet and it didn't bother me at all!!!!

• Administrator

Hello, kels. Are you using this device because sleep has been a problem?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Altostrata,

I have an update for you. First off I guess it takes 3-4 weeks to help with chronic insomnia and anxiety.  I mean to get the most benefit from the boituner. I'm already seeing huge changes and it's only been 3 days. So day 2 (Wednesday) I still didn't sleep great but was much better than before the biotuner. I still woke up and needed to take melatonin in the middle of the night to fall back asleep.  I still had a much more relaxed state of being though and less anxiety upon waking. Yesterday (Thursday) I didn't feel as good was a little tired throughout the day but then again really no different than I always am. I had a break during the day and came home and tried the setting #2 that is supposed to give some energy and calm, I went back to work and did fine (I do hair) so this was a little risky LOL! It didn't give me energy but calmed me down a ton. Then when I got off work at 6:30 I did another session on setting 1 and forced myself to stay awake until 11pm. I slept straight through until 5am and didn't take any melatonin at all. I was able to doze of a here and there until 7am. Today so far I feel fantastic! Full of energy and calm. The only side effect...I did get a headache last night and today but I guess this can happen at the beginning of treatment. It's still worth it even with the headache (that's how bad I felt). So I hoping the headache will go away as my brain adjusts to the treatment. Also I've done 2- 20min sessions each day for 3 days, so maybe that was too much at first for me. Another really cool thing that I noticed is yesterday something happened that would normally leave me in a panic and I was much more calm about the situation.

I'm so excited because this is about the only thing that has worked for me!!!

Kels

• Administrator

Interesting. Keep those reports coming, Kels!

I came across this device on the internet.  I am seeking feedback on it.  Especially on it's use for insomnia.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience with this device?

http://www.fisherwallace.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranial_electrotherapy_stimulation

Ziprexa 5 mg for about 4 years from 2009 to end of November 2014 stopped abruptly

third week of December horrible withdrawal insomnia began

tried different medications and natural remedies to sleep, nothing worked

started Xanax 0.5 mg about a month ago (beginning of March 2014 

get a few hours of sleep

very concerned about taking a benzo but its the only way I can get some sleep for now

Started Ziprexa reinstatement 0.1 mg end of March no improvement

currently taking 1.25 mg since April 2, 2014

Considering adding some GABA

considering increasing Ziprexa dose if don't see some improvement soon

• Moderator Emeritus

Solang was using one, but she hasn't posted for a while.  She was documenting her experiences in her thread, the link to her thread from where she starts writing about it is here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5663-solang-new-hope/?p=75982

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thursday night I slept great, Friday night I didn't sleep as well but my husband was snoring. Saturday night was ok and Sunday night was great. I find if I do a 20min session in the am setting 2 or 3 (I like 3 better) and do 20 min session an hour before bed. This works good for me. My sleep has been a bit up and down but much better than last wee before the biotuner.  I don't take any gaba, melatonin, or sleeping pills like I was and my sleep is still much improved. So basically I quit all meds and am sleeping better. Can't wait to see what the next 2-3 weeks holds! Hopefully I'll feel 100% back to normal!

• Administrator

Merged several related topics so we can see all the accumulated wisdom on this things.

kels, please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum so we can get to know you better.

OK, I don't know how to link to specific posts, so I just copied your link from above...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5663-solang-new-hope/?p=75982

<p>On Zoloft (sertraline) since 1995, Wellbutrin added in 1999. MOST RECENT TAPER HISTORY:APRIL 20, 2014: 50Z, 300W // APRIL 21, 2014: 43.75Z, 300W, 2X20 mins FW on 4 // JUNE 19, 2014: 37.5Z, 300W, Discontinued FW // AUG 20, 2014: 31.25Z, 300W // SEP 24, 2014: Accidentally decreased W to 150mg and had suicidal ideation and crying spells (didn't realize I had done this until Oct 9) // SEP 27, 2014: 34Z, 150W // OCT 9, 2014: 34Z, 225W // OCT 25, 2014: 31.25Z, 225W // NOV 22, 2014: 31.25Z, 187.5W // DEC 28, 2014: 28.12Z, 187.5W // JAN 31, 2015: 28.12Z, 168.75W // MAR 02, 2015: 25Z, 168.75W // MAR 30, 2015: 25Z, 150W HALFWAY DOWN ON BOTH!! // April 6 added Fisher Wallace setting 4X20 mins at bedtime for insomnia // April 29 discontinued FW // MAY 7, 2015: 22.5Z, 150W // JUN 10, 2015: 22.5Z, 131.25W // JUL 15, 2015: 20.25Z, 131.25W // AUG 13, 2015: 20.25Z, 112.5W // SEP 10, 2015: 18Z, 112.5W // OCT 13, 2015: 18Z, 93.7W // JAN 23, 2015: REINSTATED TO 20Z, 75W - HOLDING UNTIL MAY DUE TO POSSIBLE SAD

• Administrator

That linked to your post of 05 February 2014.

Click  on the tiny number in the upper right corner of any post, that will allow you to copy the link to a post.

<p>On Zoloft (sertraline) since 1995, Wellbutrin added in 1999. MOST RECENT TAPER HISTORY:APRIL 20, 2014: 50Z, 300W // APRIL 21, 2014: 43.75Z, 300W, 2X20 mins FW on 4 // JUNE 19, 2014: 37.5Z, 300W, Discontinued FW // AUG 20, 2014: 31.25Z, 300W // SEP 24, 2014: Accidentally decreased W to 150mg and had suicidal ideation and crying spells (didn't realize I had done this until Oct 9) // SEP 27, 2014: 34Z, 150W // OCT 9, 2014: 34Z, 225W // OCT 25, 2014: 31.25Z, 225W // NOV 22, 2014: 31.25Z, 187.5W // DEC 28, 2014: 28.12Z, 187.5W // JAN 31, 2015: 28.12Z, 168.75W // MAR 02, 2015: 25Z, 168.75W // MAR 30, 2015: 25Z, 150W HALFWAY DOWN ON BOTH!! // April 6 added Fisher Wallace setting 4X20 mins at bedtime for insomnia // April 29 discontinued FW // MAY 7, 2015: 22.5Z, 150W // JUN 10, 2015: 22.5Z, 131.25W // JUL 15, 2015: 20.25Z, 131.25W // AUG 13, 2015: 20.25Z, 112.5W // SEP 10, 2015: 18Z, 112.5W // OCT 13, 2015: 18Z, 93.7W // JAN 23, 2015: REINSTATED TO 20Z, 75W - HOLDING UNTIL MAY DUE TO POSSIBLE SAD

• 7 months later...

http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/how-your-brain-heals-itself/

Have u seen this? I'm curious whether to this device could have any effect on anxiety/depression/wd symptoms.

The article also talk about "reframing" symptoms as an opportunity, and taking advantage of the brain's neuroplasticity to heal yourself.

"A small, pocket-sized device, part of which went into the mouth and rested on the tongue and part of which stayed outside—144 electrodes that fired off electric pulses to activate the tongue’s sensory neurons. After two weeks of sessions with it, a voiceless MS patient could sing; a woman immobilized by Parkinson’s could walk; a stroke victim who couldn’t understand a newspaper article could read whatever she wanted.

All this because the tongue, Doidge says, “is the royal road to the brain”—with no dead skin and a moist surface making it an excellent conductor, and rich in sensory preceptors for touch, taste and pain that lead directly to the brain stem. “The PoNS turned out to be a very good stimulator for the whole brain.” Doidge thinks it clears up “noise” in the brain caused by disease or injury. “People tend to think neurons are either dead or alive afterwards, but actually many are firing at an irregular or wrong rate. Incoming information is thus chaotic and noise-filled, with even the healthy cells unable to communicate.” The PoNs, via the tongue’s access to the brain stem and hence the entire brain, can reset the circuitry, allow effective electrical communication and return the brain to a state of equilibrium. That’s why the application is so wide-ranging: with the noise gone, the brain starts working with what it has, in whatever condition it finds itself."

2003 - Seroxat (Paxil) for 2 months

2004 - switched to Effexor XR 37.5mg

2008 - failed cold turkey attempt

2011 - failed accelerated taper.

2013 - started gradual taper, counting bead method

Jan 2015 - current dose 7 beads

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7955-intro-nvbar/

• Moderator Emeritus

I just received Doidge's book in the mail today, "The Brain That Changes Itself."

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

I definitely will! Since my attention span and cognition right now in withdrawal are not as sharp as they used to be, I am sort of skimming information and moving through the book rather quickly without worrying about absorbing every single detail comprehensively, but so far everything in there points to hope, hope, hope. The brain can change, adapt, and learn new skills.

It also seems that thinking positively or negatively are skills in and of themselves, so if we think positively, we truly do exercise our brains into healthier thinking for our own healing and withdrawal. So many people and their recovery stories say to let go of the negative thinking, and they are right, and this book kind of helps explain the science behind it.

Basically, if we don't use a part of our brain, we may lose that skill, and that includes positive thinking. If we don't exercise positive thinking in our brain, we will lose the skill of positivity.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

i read the PoNS article and thought it sounded really promising - i thought maybe we could put our TENS machine on our tongues!

surely if the results Doidge writes about are factual the implications are incredible

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm thinking of buying a Sota Bio Tuner, but can't seem to make up my mind.  I've watched videos and read reviews and it seems these things do help some people, but is it just placebo? Do they do anything really?

If you have bought one of these devices, are you glad you did, even if it hasn't been a miracle cure?  Or do you wish you hadn't wasted the money?

I've read through this whole thread and still can't decide :unsure:

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Petunia, i bought the biotuner a few years ago and i don't think it did anything at all - i did like the feeling that it gave me - a sort of vibration in my ears that i found quite relaxing, but in terms of any kind of clinical benefit i don't think there was any.  I don't even know where it is at the moment!

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

A reddit with loads of info on tDCS.

I ordered this today. Here is a link to everything I ordered (you need a battery, the bottle tells you how to make the saline solution and I got a better headband for keeping the electrodes in place.)

A blog with a lot of info and the link is to a recent New Yorker article.

I am pretty desperate at this point to break the cycle of the ruminative negative thinking and crushing depression. Maybe the low current will enhance the otherwise slow healing that has already taken place

I'll probably post in my thread how it turns out. There do not appear to be many articles about downsides and negative reactions. At the worst, a company in CA providing a USA made and assembled product makes a bit more cash and I can feel good about that.

I have to admit that the 48% number in this article kinda suckered me in.... hope I'm in that percentage that gets some benefit.

Edited by brassmonkey
Revised link to artical

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I've had a rough time of things the last three weeks, and my doctor prescribed the fisher wallace stimulator.  I think I will give it a try this week.  Read through this thread, and lookie here, cw5600 is here! 

Best I can figure is that these devices are extremely unlikely to do harm.  So, lets see.

1983-1995: On and off several tricyclic ADs
1995: Quit alcohol, started Prozac
2003: Stopped Prozac; 2004: Started Effexor XR 225
2014: Tried and failed three rapid tapers; stopped cold turkey March 11, 2014, eight days of Prozac as a bridge.
March 19, 2014: SSRI/SSNI free; four weeks acute withdrawal, then five month window of minimal symptoms.

Sept 2014-June 2015: Delayed, prolonged severe withdrawal from Effexor. Roller coaster, way up and way down.  Symptoms swing widely. Clear improvement in Mar-Apr, but still much hell. In May symptoms shifted to insomnia and depression, less HA, tinnitus and brain fog.

July-Sept 2015: After two weeks of using CES device, tremendous relief of insomnia, depression and other symptoms. Feeling much better, finally! Symptoms still come and go, good and bad days.Sneaking up on return to good health.  Alto gave me a 'Here Comes the Sun'!!!  ☼

Oct 2015-Feb 2016: Difficult several months, some good days but the bad days felt like I'm moving backwards.  Struggling after steady improvement, but hanging tough.

Current supplements:  Mg-Threonate; glutathione; krill oil; borage oil; phosphatidyl choline; multivite, vit B12, vit C, vit D vit E; OTC meds pseudoephedrine in the AM and benadryl at bedtime.  Clonidine 0.2 bid for high blood pressure.

Filled with hope, courage and self-appreciation.

Never know who you'll run into in the backwaters here.....

You'll be doing CES, I'll be doing tDCS. I decided on it because CES is only available by script (I don't want to go to a doctor) or else I have to get one from Canada, I don't buy from Canada anymore. (PITA).

We can compare notes.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi all ,     I've been looking into CES since reading bloodrush's thread , he had 3 weeks of treatment and feels cured.

I've been reading a site www.bulletproofexec.com in the Brainhacking section , and am going with the Oasis Pro CES.   

It ships from California without a doctors script.   I had read that if you get them from health sites like www.stens-biofeedback.com

you don't need a doctor involved.

Looking forward to comparing results - I figure it can't hurt   :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I am posting so I can get forwards when you folks add to this thread I want to keep an eye on it in case it is a miracle. :) 

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Oasis Pro CES.    It ships from California without a doctors script.

Made in Canada so any repairs have to go back there. I won't deal with Canadian customs again. I paid 3 times what an item cost because I had to return it as it was the wrong one, this was for a cheap extension power cord for a device.

From their site:

For warranty repair, return to:

Mind Alive Inc.

6716 – 75 Street, NW

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

T6E 6T9

I have read the bp forum also, but more for the tDCS info. That one seems to be more specific to what I want, to target activation/deactivation (as it were) to a specific area of the brain as opposed to brain-wide changes via entrainment. Be interesting to see how the results differ.

Could you please link to the info you found about evading the need for a prescription? From what I have read, the USA is the only place where a script is required because the FDA has classified it as a medical device (you would not need a script in AU). The Sota device (I believe if I remember reading right) can be purchased from them w/o one as they are a Canadian company and scripts are not required and they will ship to USA (I guess it's because of the way they describe their device or something). You have to sign up to gain access to this info on their site.

I also found a site where AU people can rent a device for ~$100/mo instead of buying it.

Found this on the FW site about a way to circumvent script requirement from your doc for USA (links removed):

How do I purchase a device

Before you purchase your device, we must receive your prescription / written authorization from a licensed healthcare practitioner. Practitioners who may authorize a purchase include: General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Acupuncturist, Chiropractor, Nurse, Physician Assistant, OBGYN, and other health professionals licensed in the state that they practice.There are two options for this:

Use Your Own Practitioner...

Have your practitioner (Primary Doctor, Psychologist, Psychiatrist, OBGYN, Chiropractor, Acupuncturist, Nurse or Physician's Assistant) fax or email this form or a prescription to orders at fisherwallace.com.

...Or Call the Following Practitioner

For over-the-phone authorization, you may call the office of Sandy Root, L.Ac, seven days a week: 516.847-5277. Sandy Root is not compensated by Fisher Wallace and charges a $50 fee. If you reach voicemail, please leave a message and your call will be returned.

They also rent the devices for $200/mo.

I think if the device works (has ANY beneficial effect you determine) we all can safely ignore this bunk on their site for what it does:

"Our patented device treats depression, anxiety and insomnia by gently stimulating the brain to produce serotonin and other neurochemicals that regulate mood and sleep."

Right?

I am posting so I can get forwards when you folks add to this thread I want to keep an eye on it in case it is a miracle. :)

peace

I do not think this can be construed in any way shape or form as a miracle.

You'll be getting anecdotal reports from pharmacological casualties so ymmv.

I wanted to wish everyone good luck with your devices as I hope they provide the relief you are looking for.  I will anxiously look for this thread to see your results.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy