Coconut Oil

compsports

I am wondering if the coconut oil I consumed around dinner caused a histamine reaction because about two hours later, my sinuses felt more clogged up which resulted in my unintentionally taking my mask off which led to horrible sleep? It is listed as being high in histamine so that is why I was wondering.

It is so frustrating because I snacked on vegetables and coconut oil to stave off hunger so I could eat dinner later. I am finding if I eat it too early, I want to fall asleep right away which of course messes up my sleep for the night.

Sometimes, I feel like I can't win. A big fat sigh!

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

CS,

I tried one capsule of coconut oil recently and it was very stimulating to me, uncomfortably so. I don't know if this is related to histamine or your reaction, but thought I'd throw it in.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

CS,I tried one capsule of coconut oil recently and it was very stimulating to me, uncomfortably so. I don't know if this is related to histamine or your reaction, but thought I'd throw it in.

Hi Barb,

Taking capsules has had that effect on me and in the past, taking coconut oil in the evening caused insomnia. But this seemed to be a different issue as everytime I have unintentionally taken the mask off, I have had my worst night of sleep.

CS

• Administrator

Some people have allergic (histamine) reactions to coconut or coconut oil.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

given I'm hanging out with histamine intolerant folks a whole lot lately (being I am one) I can tell you it's not very common to react to the oil...but that doesn't mean that you did not...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

It is hard to say as I would have to try it again at night to see what happens which I don't want to do. I am just wondering if my tolerance for histamine heavy foods reaches a limit around the evening based on previous food reactions.

The reverse of that is when I ate black beans for dinner last week, I had one of my better nights on the pap machine. Guess what I will be eating tonight to see if history repeats itself?

CS

• Administrator

Complex carbs such as beans at night can be a good thing -- maintains blood sugar levels.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 months later...

Well, I had vowed I was going to start eating more low carb and had purchased some coconut butter which is delicious by the way. Yesterday, ate alot of that plus coconut oil.

Had one of my worst nights of sleep in days.  Not that it has been great to begin with but on a mask I normally have lasted 3 hours of sleep on, I only lasted one hour and had a very restless short night.

I am so bleeping sick of this.

CS

.So sorry that you are having such a rough time. Hang in there. Prayers & hugs being sent your way.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

I tried coconut oil caps one time and it was too stimulating.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks Barb and Zoe.

The problem is because of my constant sleep deprivation, it is hard to tell if something is too stimulating until I try to sleep. Live and learn.

Zoe, thanks for the prayers and hugs. Didn't get great sleep last night but it was definitely an improvemnt from the night before.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/07/peanut-butter-coconut-oil-alzheimers-detection.aspx

This is about Alzheimers, but a published case report on dietary management of bipolar ll also used "therapeutic doses" of coconut oil.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting, Meimei!

It's not only about coconut oil but it meantions other supplements which have been identified on SA as very helpful.

Yet another confirmation of what what Alto recommends ;)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 6 months later...

damn that's a lot of coconut oil to have everyday, doesn't my brain realize how expensive this stuff is?

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

• 6 months later...

I am on coconut oil now and am doing much better, for what it's worth. I am also doing the supplements recommended on this site, including magnesium, taurine, and turmeric. (Not sure turmeric is officially endorsed here, but it is discussed.)

If anyone else tries coconut oil, please message me and let me know if it works for you.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Administrator

And post here!

I am dubious that coconut oil has any special properties, but it sure tastes good.

I use coconut oil and olive oil, with a little grass-fed butter now and then.

And to think I ignore all the fallen coconuts around here (they are a witch to open and I don't have an axe or a machete...)

Lots of people swear by coconut milk.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

The supposed magic in coconut oil is medium chain triglycerides. I got interested because they seem to be therapeutic in "intractable epilepsy," a diagnosis I received while coming off Effexor and ADHD drugs. I figured whatever physical syndrome I had or have were so epilepsy-like that I might benefit from it. plus I read that they can cause weight loss. So far I have no ill effects since adding the coconut oil and grass fed butter to my coffee in the morning, and the absence of the morning terror is unbelievable. I did not get this result from the various other supplements alone. Of course it could be possible that adding the oils after doing the supplements for a while means they are working together, or that the supplements took a while to start helping me, and the coconut oil isn't really doing anything on its own.

But it is so night and day since starting the coconut oil and butter that I think they must be doing something. I suppose I could discontinue them and see what happens. But I can't risk another hell-helmet cortisol morning. No sirree bob!

Epilepsy study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23515148

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

There is a new kind of coconut milk at Costco in the US. Too expensive, but the sample I had was incredibly delicious. It tasted like it just came out of a coconut. Puts the other brands to shame. Here it is for sale on a web site. I saw it at Whole Foods yesterday and looked at it wistfully. It is by Harmless Harvest. I was afraid to buy one small bottle for fear I go back for more and go broke :)

http://www.vitadigest.com/groc-859078002092.html

Hey! Whatever works! And I have friends that use it all the time, my neighbor is always collecting coconuts as well as my gf.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I'm envious that you Floridians can grow coconuts! At least we in SoCal can manage avocados, a gift from the Gods. I have a rule: never live somewhere too cold for citrus and avocado trees. :) in other words, oranges, not apples!

• 2 months later...

I have been experiencing severe brain fog for the past few days and decided to try a quarter of a tsp of coconut oil in my tea. WOW, all of a sudden the fog lifted significantly! Does anyone else have positive things to say about coconut oil during WD?

Diagnosed: Pure O Ocd, Severe Anxiety Disorder NOS, PMDD

November 2009 - May 2013- CIPRALEX 20mg

C/T off 20mg Cipralex

Went into dark depression (never experienced before med)

September 2013 - March 2014- PROZAC 20mg

Weaned down to 10mg and held

October 1st 2014 C/T off 10mg Prozac

Protracted withdrawal - 8 months of the most horrific suffering imaginable

June 1st 2015 - ZOLOFT 25mg

June 26th 2015 - Dose increase to 50mg of Zoloft (taken at night after dinner). Slowly improving but still have severe OCD/ruminating, intense DP/DR, and brain fog. Just trying to stabilize at this point.

• 1 month later...

Please have patience and read : a great Mental Health Care System indeed/Never been hospitalized prior to starting meds

-Not sure all is accurate:2005 Diag. with major depression and anxiety after second birth

-switched AD,getting worse (maybe:Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin-diagnosed with bp

-Zyprexa, stopped it fast, got hosp.,Seroquel incr. at 300mg, wors. depr, akathisia bad,

-changed dr.,dropped Seroquel 300mg to 100mg !!!-

-new dr.got me off Seroquel in 1 mth at home!!Lamictal to help...getting worse,was also taking Clonazepam

-severe muscle twiches, dp/dr,neck and shoulder muscles tight straight like cement, psychotic, bedridden for 1yr

-Got put on Zoloft in the hosp.,and 3 mg of Clonazepam, "Stabilized" some after some months, 5-6,

-Came off Zoloft by dropping some weekly, not knowing better!debilitating symptoms, got back on, tried to reduce Clonazepam after research.Prof. Ashton; hosp., asked dr. to follow Dr Ashton, he dropped 3 mg Clon. in One day!put on much less Valium...hysterical,pain,rage,couldn t breathe,akathisia etc etc

-Zoloft up to 200mg!, hyperv. muscles tight like cement...my dr., on vacation!!Other dr red.zoloft, gave me Remeron

Current meds:Buspirone 20mg,Tegretol200mg,Trazadone 50 mg,Clonaz. 3mg,Escital.15mg,Propran.20mg,Bupropr.150mg,Baclofen30mg,Gabapentin200mg, taken 4 times/day in various comb

• 1 month later...

My posts previous to yours...anyone else tried coconut oil? Trader Joe's has it.

I did it because at one point in WD I was told I had intractable epilepsy for which a ketogenic diet is recommended. (see http://www.epilepsyandbrainmapping.com/)

I have been experiencing severe brain fog for the past few days and decided to try a quarter of a tsp of coconut oil in my tea. WOW, all of a sudden the fog lifted significantly! Does anyone else have positive things to say about coconut oil during WD?

Coconuts...yum...

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

• 3 weeks later...

An article about ketogenic diets, which can accommodate a lot of coconut oil.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones

Ketogenic diets, which are very high in fat and low in carbohydrate and protein, have been prescribed for seizures for a long time.

Ketosis for the body means fat-burning. For the brain, it means a lower seizure risk and a better environment for neuronal recovery and repair.

emily-deans.jpg?itok=zUfLKwME

Emily Deans, M.D., is a board certified adult psychiatrist practicing in Massachusetts.  She graduated from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in 2000 and from the Harvard Longwood Psychiatry Residency in 2004, and was a Chief Resident at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.  She is currently an Instructor in Psychiatry, Part-Time at Harvard Medical School. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'm not sure about coconut oil. It's quite the fad now. I've added some flaked coconut to my oatmeal in the morning for the purported benefits of lauric acid, etc.

However, I think Andrew Weil's opinion is probably right:

New View of Coconut Oil? - Ask Dr. Weil

He's getting rigid.

On weight loss, he describes a silly study that failed:

The one study that carefully examined the effects of coconut oil on weight loss was a small one, with only 40 women participating. Half of them used two tablespoons of coconut oil for cooking daily while the others used soybean oil. All the participants cut 200 calories from their daily diets and exercised four days a week. After three months, the women in both groups had each lost about two pounds.

Did they fry with it or eat it? Dose too low, and study equalized calorie reduction and exercise. Let the product do its thing.

Then he dismisses the ones that succeeded:

In other studies, dieters who used MCT-rich oil extracted from coconut lost more weight than those who used vegetable oil, but the losses reported were modest.

How modest? Modest sounds okay to me. 2 pounds? 5 pounds? In what amount of time? He gave more attention to the doomed study, which he calls "the one study that carefully examined."

I can't find either one online.

From a blog:

Two researchers at McGill University published a review of the literature on MCT and LCT and their effects on weight loss in the March 2002 issue of the Journal of Nutrition. The review of these preliminary studies suggested that MCT oils produced an increase in energy expenditure and resulted in a decrease in food intake, both of which provide the potential for weight control.  More recent studies conclude that MCT oil (but not necessarily coconut oil) may improve weight loss when part of an overall weight loss plan, compared to olive oil (LCT).

McGill is one of North America's best med schools

Medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) are readily oxidized in the liver. Animal and human studies have shown that the fast rate of oxidation of MCFA leads to greater energy expenditure (EE). Most animal studies have also demonstrated that the greater EE with MCFA relative to long-chain fatty acids (LCFA) results in less body weight gain and decreased size of fat depots after several months of consumption. Furthermore, both animal and human trials suggest a greater satiating effect of medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) compared with long-chain triglycerides (LCT). The aim of this review is to evaluate existing data describing the effects of MCT on EE and satiety and determine their potential efficacy as agents in the treatment of human obesity. Animal studies are summarized and human trials more systematically evaluated because the primary focus of this article is to examine the effects of MCT on human energy metabolism and satiety. Hormones including cholescytokinin, peptide YY, gastric inhibitory peptide, neurotensin and pancreatic polypeptide have been proposed to be involved in the mechanism by which MCT may induce satiety; however, the exact mechanisms have not been established. From the literature reviewed, we conclude that MCT increase energy expenditure, may result in faster satiety and facilitate weight control when included in the diet as a replacement for fats containing LCT.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.full
Physiological Effects of Medium-Chain Triglycerides: Potential Agents in the Prevention of Obesity1

Marie-Pierre St-Onge and Peter J. H. Jones2

For Alzheimer's, he's equally negative, and offers no sources:

I've read recent claims that coconut oil benefits Alzheimer's disease patients. It is true that MCT-rich oil from coconuts has been studied in Alzheimer's patients, but this treatment has not led to improvements of the patients' scores on cognitive tests. All told, I think the jury is still out on coconut oil, and without stronger evidence for it, I hesitate to recommend eating it in quantity. (Weil)

There is nothing in pubmed, so I wonder what studies he is talking about.

Closest is this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21114897(2011)
Young coconut juice, a potential therapeutic agent that could significantly reduce some pathologies associated with Alzheimer's disease: novel findings.

"This is a novel study demonstrating that YCJ could have positive future implications in the prevention and treatment of AD in menopausal women."

Mary Newport's book on coconut oil and Alzheimer's has 183 reviews on Amazon. I collected them and counted those by families who tried it and got nothing, and those that had genuine results with dementia or improved relevant bloodwork (two of those).

Score: 5 with no result and 18 with positive results, some glowing. Impresses me, because normally when something doesn't work people rant and complain.

http://pastebin.com/U4YTeJjE

Not to mention this, being done at Univ of S Florida

Coconut Oil for Alzheimer's Disease

https://www.nia.nih.gov/alzheimers/clinical-trials/coconut-oil-alzheimers-disease

Plus, it worked a miracle for me in 10 days, and a few others in this thread got help from it too.

Does the opinion of celebrities who have no data matter?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been getting into it seriously after reading in many place that we need omega 3's to help our brains regrow , 

I'm loving a teaspoon added to my coffee twice a day , and have switched to coconut oil for cooking and using as a carrier oil with essential oils.

This is a good summary of health benefits:  http://draxe.com/coconut-oil-uses/

I've been doing it for about 3 weeks and feeling better - perhaps it's the coconut oil.  I'm sticking with it , good to know it's helping others on here.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 weeks later...

I use coconut oil for oil pulling / oral and gum health. My dentist has been impressed with the results on my gum health. I find coconut oil too heavy in drinks, but will try to incorporate it into salad dressings. I also use coconut oil as a skin cleanser, moisturiser and intensive hair conditioner to replace face, body & hair lotions with unknown / unsavoury ingredients.

Fad or not. This oil works for me in many ways :)

I use organic, extra virgin, raw oil.

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

I used to love coconut oil, and used it in the ways Tilly described above before I was in WD.

Unfortunately, I cannot tolerate it in any form right now. I made the mistake of using it on my face as a moisturizer and became very overstimulated about two hours afterwards.

Hopefully, I will be able to use it in the future.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I am a big fan of coconut products.  Of course, there are the histamine issues, but since I can't eat wheat or dairy now, coconut seems to be in "safe land" and so I use coconut chips, oil, milk, cream, water.  

I've made coconut whipped cream (no, it doesn't have peaks) and wish I could get coconut cheese.

We do all cooking with coconut, and not only is it yummy, unlike other vegetable oils, it's burn point is so high that you never cook that hot - it never burns.  

yes, my cholesterol is high, but I don't think that is the problem.

I'd rather be feeding my brain with yummy coconut products, and it feels safe, so I pursue it.  

In WW2, when all the Pacific wounded were in hospitals, they ran out of IV fluid, so they took the water from coconuts and used it as IV fluid replacement.  It contains electrolytes, and is sterile out of the coconut.  It has properties of being antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal, as well as anti-inflammatory (especially when applied to skin or mucous membranes - I've had a friend with Post Prozac PSSD, horrible irritation, and coconut oil healed her inflamed parts.).  When my cat has a herpes outbreak (On cats, this is an eye thing, caused at birth), we melt a q-tip full of coconut oil in her eye and it is better within a day (when we use the vet medicine, it sometimes takes weeks to clear, and often won't clear at all on the vet ointments).  

I've oil pulled with coconut, and it was amazing, but I had to quit because I cook and use so much coconut oil for other things, that the oil pulling made me associate the coconut oil in my food, with the gross stuff in my mouth.  That was a bit nauseating.

Naturally, if you have a negative reaction it's not for you.  But during the "low fat era" my Mom and practitioners steered me away from this "dangerous oil" that I've come to discover is one of the more wholesome things I can be doing.  BUT - in moderation!  A bulletproof coffee every day is probably more fat than we're meant to handle.  I do like to have one now and then, though, when I feel especially ragged, but want the caffeine - it makes the caffeine more gentle, less spiky, and you come down off of the caffeine in a gentle curve, not a spike.

and Histamine intolerance - it is a nut, after all - is probably not good for use of coconut.  Do I feel smarter?  Probably.  But I can still be as dense as a box of rocks.  It hasn't "cured" my cog fog, and it hasn't made my moods impervious to my usual annoyances and angers.  But it has helped.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

I tried using coconut oil in earlier withdrawal, but didn't tolerate it well, my symptoms would increase for the next day or two, just like when I tried fish oil supplements. But now I'm fine with it, although I haven't noticed any particular benefits, I just like the taste.

The link Fresh posted above has a lot of great ideas for ways to use it, apart from as food.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 5 months later...

I have tapered down to 10 mg of Remeron and 1 mg of xanax at the insistence of my pdoc. She's an idiot. I do know that. But I thought I'd try. 

Strangely I have had better success with this drop. I am sleeping well for a change. I don't want to rock the boat but it is perplexing to me that I feel better.

I have been trying to think what could be different. The only thing I can pinpoint is my recent consumption of coconut oil. Whether or not this is truly the helpful piece, I do not know.

But I'm not interested in changing anything while I am able to cut and sleep at the same time. I take 3 tablespoons full of extra virgin organic coconut oil I bought at BJs for around $10.00 for a 1.125 quart size. I am able to fast intermittently which I have not been able to do while on mirt. I am also losing weight. 

I'll take it.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

Interesting reading , I have bottle of coconut oil on my shelf and I have never opened it , I purchased it a while back as it was recommended to me for cooking with , but not got round to trying it , here in the uk it is very popular for its soothing and healing properties , I may try some see if I feel any benefits , but like everything it normally takes a few days before you see or feel the benefits,

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

I had this coconut oil in my cabinet, too, for a long time. At about the same time I was cutting I started to eat it. Around February 15th. I had come across several articles and videos of ppl suffering from Alzheimers. I wanted to help my Aunt Betty who has dementia ( she's such a delight) and had called my cousin to tell her about coconut oil. I doubt she would believe me but what's the risk? I immediately wanted to make coconut cupcakes or something sweet Aunt Betty might like. And watch for her to call me by name.  :)

Anyway, I thought well why not try IT myself? It's good for thyroid they say and my brain certainly could use some help...

I still am not sure this is the reason but I have not felt this good since last year Feb 12, 2015. I didn't say 'great' remember I said 'good' AND I'm sleeping.

The first night I slept well I had put coconut oil and cinnamon on toast for a snack before bed. I slept incredibly well. So I keep taking it. Just in case...

When I sleep well I am able to put off eating. I don't eat breakfast and eat lunch at 1 or 2 pm. I read about how fasting might be helpful. Plus, I want to lose weight.

http://www.ewao.com/a/neuroscientist-shows-what-fasting-does-to-your-brain-why-big-pharma-wont-study-it/

I also read this.

L

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy