SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Colonoscopy?

Nikki

Hi Ikam,

You might want to see if a low carb diet would help your acid reflux.   I have a book by a scientist (sorry can't find it) in which he cured his by doing that.   So when you are ready to taper the PPI, you might find it easier although obviously, since I am not a doctor, I offer no guarantees.

Best of luck to you.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Yes, you need to taper a PPI when you go off, or you may get rebound reflux.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Ikam:

I had colonoscopy last year. I was scared also because I was having uncontrollable diarrhea. They gave me versed and fentanyl which neither put me in la la land because I was taking Valium at the time. The dr and nurse talked me through the whole thing. They showed me everything. I did experience a little discomfort but nothing too bad. The good thing was I got to go home right away (my fiancé drove) because I was wide awake and don't have to go through it again for 10 years!

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I had a consultation with gastrologist on Friday. He wants me to do CT Colonography, as he wants to find the reason for my anaemia. Unfortunately I will need to take some contrast medication prior to the procedure: https://www.drugs.co...de-effects.html

I am really concerned that this will affect me badly...

I tried to talk to him about PPI, and he said "it looks you are dependant so you will need to take it for life!"...

He was talking about anaemia and iron deficiency and did not even mention they may be a result of PPI!

Wow the doc should know that.  Also, SSRI's can block iron absorption.  I know that Zoloft does, so even though I was not technically anemic by doctors testing, my acupuncturist treated me for it.  Made a world of difference. I took Floradix for four months, a liquid iron supplement.  Maybe you should take in an article on SSRIs and anemia.  Or maybe find a new doc.  He sounds like a real loser as most GI docs do NOT recommend PPI's for life.  So many reasons that I won't bother to list them.

Began Paxil for situational panic attacks in 2000. Then psych put me on Prozac to transition me to Lexapro in 2008. I forget the dosage of Paxil and Lexapro. Switched to100mg Sertraline since 2011.

75Mg taper began 06/21/2016. 67.5 mg taper began 07/10/2016. 61mg taper began 08/01/2016. 54mg taper began 08/24/2016. 48mg taper began 09/06/2016. 44mg taper began 09/20/2016. 40mg taper began 10/11/2016. 35mg began 10/25/2016. 25 mg began 11/15/2016.  20 mg began 12/03/2016.  12.5 mg began 12/22/2016.  DRUG FREE JANUARY 16, 2017!!

Began daily meditation 12/01/2016.  Very helpful!!

Prayer, always, and Acupuncture, as needed.<p>Isaiah 50:7 (NLT): Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be dismayed. Therefore, I have set my face like a stone, determined to do his will. And I know that I will triumph!

I was surprised when he said that "I am dependat and I have to take it for life" .

​I will make my own decision at some point, as I have done with SSRI...

I told my GP about that iron deficiency may be related to PPI, so she said she has other patients and they don't have anaemia, so I must be bleeding internally...

I will get this CT scan, just to have them to reconsider other aspects...I am not scared of the procedure. I am scared that the meds they asked me to take as a preparation may interact with Escitalopram...

I am not going to get sedated...I did not with endoscopy and survived...

This has become real "medical fashion", they sedate everybody...

I will at some point get on low carb diet...I will find  my way...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

I was surprised when he said that "I am dependat and I have to take it for life" .

​I will make my own decision at some point, as I have done with SSRI...

I told my GP about that iron deficiency may be related to PPI, so she said she has other patients and they don't have anaemia, so I must be bleeding internally...

I will get this CT scan, just to have them to reconsider other aspects...I am not scared of the procedure. I am scared that the meds they asked me to take as a preparation may interact with Escitalopram...

I am not going to get sedated...I did not with endoscopy and survived...

This has become real "medical fashion", they sedate everybody...

I will at some point get on low carb diet...I will find  my way...

Dr.s now days seem to say whatever the pharmaceutical company wants to hear in my opinion. You will make the right desicion for you and your body. Good luck!

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I had virtual colonoscopy monday, and it was one most horrible and brutal experience of my life. The preparation was brutal, the laxative I used called Lovol dyl and Lovol Esse( I think is the same of miralex) give me 18 discharge of bloody diarrhea, They have strongly inflamed my hemorrhoids, now I am dehydrated, and I can not drink a lot because my stomach and intestines are really inflamed, I can do only small drinks.

2001, Amisulpride (deniban) - 3 months, I taper in some weeks

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

around more 10 years drug free

4 December 2013, 7 drops of citalopram , adverse reaction

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

After December 2013, Im drug free.

The Nurse also Injected me with buscopan without my permission, and I am really sensitive to the meds, I had hallucinations and drowsiness for a day, now I have cramps shortness of breath, decrease urination(now improved) pain in the stomach and the lower part of the intestine, and I'm afraid that the two laxatives may have damaged my kidneys, I didn't want take them, but in the small hospital where I had virtual colonoscopy was not there an alternative preparation, I believe that magnesium citrate would be much better than they Lovol Esse (polyethylene glycol). I still have nightmares of 18 discharges of diarrhea and to all the blood I lost from my inflammed hemorrhoids.

2001, Seroquel, 4 weeks - quit cold turkey, 2001. Efexxor,  one pill adverse reaction

2002. Amitryptaline (mutabon mite) - 4 months, I taper really faster in some weeks

December    2013, Italian supplement called serenplus with tryptophan, 9 pills adverse reaction, quit cold turkey.

• Administrator

Unfortunately, it seems there is no way around taking the laxative chemicals to clean out the bowels in preparation for a colonoscopy. I investigated this myself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Unfortunately, it seems there is no way around taking the laxative chemicals to clean out the bowels in preparation for a colonoscopy. I investigated this myself.

Where I live, they had 4 different ones to choose from. I got the one you only had to drink 2 glasses, but the dr said I was so clean he could see everything. I will never use that golightly again that is the worst!

Yes this is true but some people They have lost their kidneys from some synthetic laxatives and they and needed a transplant.

Yes this is true but some people They have lost their kidneys from some synthetic laxatives and they and needed a transplant.

Wow I didn't know that good thing I don't have to have another one for 9 years!

I have CT Colonography without the use of laxatives. But I will have to use- Omnipaque
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/omnipaque-300-side-effects.html

My procedure has been scheduled for 21st September...

I am still unsure what to do...

I did refuse Colonoscopy, but I think I cannot refuse this one...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

I have virtual colonoscopy i think is the same, but they forced me on simethicone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fear  the virtual colonoscopy has caused me acute diverticulitis, for the cramps and spasms i have in the intestine, especially when I sit and when I eat the salad.

http://blogs.jwatch.org/gastroenterology/index.php/can-colonoscopy-cause-diverticulitis/2011/02/14/

October 3 I have an appointment with the gastroenterologist .

I guess I was lucky with my colonoscopy. I had no polyps. The only bad thing was they could not get me sedated. They gave me all the meds they were allowed and I was wide awake. The dr talked me through it and I went right home. I don't know why I'm even on omeprazole and ranitidine, I never had GERD I went in for a stomach ache 10 years ago and came out with those meds. Time to go off. Living on a pretty bland diet but am off in about 3 weeks and haven't been sick yet. The dr. hasn't ever mentioned an endoscopy and hope he never does. But I don't have any symptoms. New dr. Believes only do it if you're broke lol...

Take care...

For my virtual colonoscopy is bad and painful like traditional colonoscpy,  the nurse inject me Buscopan without my consent , since then I have shortness of breath, The first day I had hallucinations and extrapyramidal effects.

During  WD, except for type series conditions like rectal bleeding advise everyone to stay away from this procedure.

Colonoscopy prep definitely takes away the desire to the eat for at least a month and more, like SSRIs WD.

Colonoscopy prep definitely takes away the desire to the eat for at least a month and more, like SSRIs WD.

I totally understand that. I'm WD from Lexapro and just have no appetite. I force myself to eat just small things.

• 3 months later...

they insist i have it done...i will ask to have it done with no anasthetic and sedation...

what I am concerned about is the medication i have to take to prepare my bowels...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

they insist i have it done...i will ask to have it done with no anasthetic and sedation...

what I am concerned about is the medication i have to take to prepare my bowels...

I had one done a couple of years ago, no sedation. It was uncomfortable, but didn't kill me lol...

The stuff I drank cleaned me out, but didn't affect me any other way.

You will be fine.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Administrator

It is possible to have a colonoscopy without the sedatives. Discuss this with your gastroenterologist. If you want to do this, it helps if your gastroenterologist has done colonoscopy without sedation before.

Some people do have colons that are convoluted and find the procedure too uncomfortable to do without sedation. Small women are the most prone to this condition. However, I am a small woman and I had no problems whatsoever without a sedative. (You can't avoid the laxatives beforehand, though.)

My appetite was excellent after the procedure.

Had the colonoscopy yesterday.

There were a few ouchy moments -- intense pangs lasting a few seconds each -- and I wouldn't say it was fun, but the procedure itself wasn't that difficult.

The staff did their best to persuade me to get the anesthesia, but I held firm. They had an anesthesia plan B ready in case I found the pain unbearable.

I saw my entire colon and chatted with the gastroenterologist, nurse, and technician throughout.

The gastroenterologist said I had the colon of a teenager. It did look pink and healthy. She praised me for being so relaxed -- she said she could see it in my colon.

The team was amazed I did it without drugs. The doctor said she was so proud of me about 20 times.

In colonoscopy, as in all things "all things must pass." Have a good attitude and you, too, can do a colonoscopy without drugs.

THANK you Alto...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

I will be discussing with my gastroenterologist on how to do my second screening colonoscopy. First one was in 2003. Tried to get one in 2013 and was informed Medicare didn't pay for it. This is simply not true. Medicare does pay for colonoscopy every 10 years or more frequently if needed. If anything abnormal is found i will be contacting legal services.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

• Administrator

In the US, non-invasive stool screening tests https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/tests.htmare approved. You get a kit to use at home, then mail a sample to the laboratory. This does not involve any pokes from instruments, laxatives, or sedatives.

If the screening test is positive, meaning blood in the stool, you need to get a colonoscopy even if the blood might be from hemorrhoids. But if it's negative, no further investigation is needed for this round.

Ikam:

I will wish you the best in what ever choice you make. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am reading posts about the side/after effects of the cleansing agents and sedatives for colonoscopy and now am more afraid of them than the experience of having the endoscope inserted!

Thanks for all the helpful advice above.

My situation: I am on Efexor XL (max dose) and loraxepam and mirtazapine. I have been super constipated by Mirt since I started taking it in 2014, so I take senna tablets or tea each day, 2 psyllium husk tablets, cut out all gluten from my diet last September (2016), and am cutting down on caffeine. I also have tapered down Mirt from 7.5 mg/day to 3.6 mg/day over the last 9 months. All this is helping me to get my bowels moving a bit. BUT my psychiatrist recommended that I have a colonoscopy to check if there is anything else causing the constipation/bloating with wheat/hemorroids when I am constipated. I told him and my own general practitioner (family doctor) that I did not see any point in undergoing such an unpleasant and invasive procedure until I had fully withdrawn from Mirtazapine. However, my doctor has booked me a colonoscopy for mid February.

My gut feeling (!) is that the combination of meds, especially Mirt + Lorazapam, is causing sluggish digestion, and as I keep tapering, this will subside more. 

I know that the decision is mine only, but I really don't want to have to go through the procedure to be told that I have hemerroids and some IBD, maybe a few polyps...

I also know that bowel cancer is a killer and can go unnoticed...

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jan 2023: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms

Dec 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg. HRT stopped for hysterectomy surgery 5 Dec 22 (potential clotting risk)

September 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms, Progesterone 100 mg.

Apologies but I can't remember or find details at the moment, but I slowly reduced Venlafaxine and Lorazepam through 2020-2021-2022.

Jan 2022: HRT increased by GP for unknown reason to oestradiol patch 100 microg, progresterone 100 mg

June 2021: started HRT (oestradiol patch 50 microg, progresterone 100 mg). 

August 2020:  Made a 16% reduction in Lorazepam at psychiatrist's recommendation (1.25 mg) while holding Venlafaxine at 150 mg.

March 2019 - March 2020: Venlafaxine  XR tapered from  337.5 mg  to 150 mg (60% reduction), while continuing 1.5 mg Lorazepam.

March 2016 - January 2019: Mirtazapine taptered to 0, while continuing on 1.5 mg Lorazepam and 375 mg Venlafaxine XR.

Feb. 2015: 7.5 mg Mirtazapine + 1.5 mg Lorazepam + 375 mg Venlafaxine.

HI,

How old are you and is there a history of colon cancer in your family?  If you are 50 and older and the answer is yes for a positive history, I would advise you to have it.   

As one who has an appointment with a gastro this month to schedule a colonoscopy, I am not looking forward to it so I understand your trepidation. But with my family history of colon cancer and being way overdue, I gotta suck it up.   Sorry bad choice of words.:)

Hi Platinum star, I am in my mid-40s and am not aware of a family history, but will have to ask to confirm.

Reading up about it, it sounds beneficial in that if any small polyps are found, they can be cauterised during the procedure, and larger ones can be biopsied for checking in the histology lab.

It is kind of a chicken and egg thing - my body has been given meds to help with some issues, but slowing down my bowel may cause other serious problems..

If I did not have constipation or hemeroids then my doctor would not have reccommended this procedure for me, but since I do,  the sluggish bowel and straining may cause polyps that require the procedure to investigate. Arrgh! 

I could put off the procedure for a couple of months while I keep tapering, but don't think that will make much difference in the long run.

Jan 2023: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms

Dec 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg. HRT stopped for hysterectomy surgery 5 Dec 22 (potential clotting risk)

September 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms, Progesterone 100 mg.

Apologies but I can't remember or find details at the moment, but I slowly reduced Venlafaxine and Lorazepam through 2020-2021-2022.

Jan 2022: HRT increased by GP for unknown reason to oestradiol patch 100 microg, progresterone 100 mg

June 2021: started HRT (oestradiol patch 50 microg, progresterone 100 mg). 

August 2020:  Made a 16% reduction in Lorazepam at psychiatrist's recommendation (1.25 mg) while holding Venlafaxine at 150 mg.

March 2019 - March 2020: Venlafaxine  XR tapered from  337.5 mg  to 150 mg (60% reduction), while continuing 1.5 mg Lorazepam.

March 2016 - January 2019: Mirtazapine taptered to 0, while continuing on 1.5 mg Lorazepam and 375 mg Venlafaxine XR.

Feb. 2015: 7.5 mg Mirtazapine + 1.5 mg Lorazepam + 375 mg Venlafaxine.

Tough call Bridgetini.   Good luck with your decision.

I had an appointment with a gastro last week to schedule a colonoscopy but could not get to the appt due to severe storm flooding and road closures. Called to reschedule and was told the office would call to reschedule. It took two months to get an appointment. I don't want to wait another two months. Might try the Cologuard and if anything shows up will get in right away I would hope. Has anyone tried Cologuard?

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

How about whatever was given to empty your colon the

It is possible to have a colonoscopy without the sedatives. Discuss this with your gastroenterologist. If you want to do this, it helps if your gastroenterologist has done colonoscopy without sedation before.

Some people do have colons that are convoluted and find the procedure too uncomfortable to do without sedation. Small women are the most prone to this condition. However, I am a small woman and I had no problems whatsoever without a sedative. (You can't avoid the laxatives beforehand, though.)

My appetite was excellent after the procedure.

Had the colonoscopy yesterday.

There were a few ouchy moments -- intense pangs lasting a few seconds each -- and I wouldn't say it was fun, but the procedure itself wasn't that difficult.

The staff did their best to persuade me to get the anesthesia, but I held firm. They had an anesthesia plan B ready in case I found the pain unbearable.

I saw my entire colon and chatted with the gastroenterologist, nurse, and technician throughout.

The gastroenterologist said I had the colon of a teenager. It did look pink and healthy. She praised me for being so relaxed -- she said she could see it in my colon.

The team was amazed I did it without drugs. The doctor said she was so proud of me about 20 times.

In colonoscopy, as in all things "all things must pass." Have a good attitude and you, too, can do a colonoscopy without drugs.

Hello - what about the substance they gave you to empty your colon the day before, no issues with that?  

day before, no issues with that?

1996-2014 - 3mg Clonazepam - Started weaning off in 2010, took 4 years.  All is fine.

2010-2014 - 30mg - 180mg percocets per day.  Quit CT in 2014.  All is fine.

2010-2014 - Mixed in Suboxen while not on percs... 8mg-32mg per day.  Quit CT in 2014.  All is fine (I think)  Opiates don't fully work yet.

2015 - Quit smoking weed, all is fine.

2015- Stopped drinking, all is fine.

2015-  Stopped drinking coffee, all is fine.

2010-2014 - 10mg of Lexapro for first 2 years, then 15mg for another 2 years

Quit over 3 week period - still experiencing bad withdrawal, but very slowly getting better... too slow.  

9/4/2015 - Reinstated 1mg liquid Lexapro.  So far, it's not helping... maybe hurting but not sure yet.

9/5/2015 - Stopped the 1mg, made it worse.  I will ride it out, currently drug free.

"The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory"

• Administrator

You cannot get around having to take the laxative.

• 5 months later...

I've been scheduled a colonoscopy for the increasingly severe bowel problems I'm having. There's no way I'd take the sedative. As an alternative they offer a nitrogen rich 'laughing gas' Entonox, which apparently acts as a painkiller and leaves your system very quickly. It also can apparently reduce your vitamin B12 levels. Has anyone had any experience with this? I could have the procedure with no drugs. Also do the laxatives effect your micro biome?

The Gastroenterologist ordered this non urgent test due to the generic bowel distress that I'm having; industrial quantities of foul smelling wind, gurgling noises and physical bubbling sensations, as well as painful/sore bowels. I think this is all down to my micro biome being way off; I've had green stools for over 6 months and am malnourished due to an almost aversion to food, with the slightest sugary/carb rich food making things much worse, ruling out the energy rich medical drinks I used last year to arrest the weight loss. A separate private urinary organic acids test from Great Plains Laboratory in the US has shown that I have significant Candida overgrowth and the bacterial markers aren't good either. I've also got very high oxalic acid levels and almost no Glutathione levels as well as no Vitamin C registered, and some very low Vitamin B levels. Many other markers are bad as well. So I'm unlikely to risk the colonoscopy, I just can't see what benefit it might give.

Dec 98; Paroxetine 20mg, quickly increased to 40mg for mild situational teenage depression which I didn't even go for.

Spring 99; Paroxetine reduced back to 20mg over four weeks after mild depression passes.

Autumn 99; Paroxetine reduced down to 14mg, slowly, as initial 10mg reduction was far too much.

Start of 2000; Paroxetine increased back up to 40mg after a 'relapse' and the most severe depression imaginable. No life.

Late 2012 to early 2013, Paroxetine reduced from a bit above 40mg (perhaps close to 50mg) back down to 40mg.

October 2015; tapered off Paroxetine by 5ml/10mg every 2 weeks after finally had enough of years of constant instability. I never did 'get better' as the doctors said to wait for. Never had remotely normal adult life, cared for full time at family home.

Start of August 2016; tried reinstituting Paroxetine at 1mg for 4 days, disaster; shopping list of physical symptoms develop.

Also taken Proton Pump Inhibitors on and off since early 2003, continuously since 2013 for severe upper GI issues

Took Cyclizine 50mg up to 3x daily since 2013 for crippling nausea from severe GI issues, stopped at start of August 2016.

Propranolol 10mg on occasion since May 2016 for extreme stress/racing heart, stopped at start of September 2016

Omega 3, Magnesium, Zinc, stopped Vitamins B complex, C, D3, multivitamin, probiotic, garlic, digestive enzymes

• 1 year later...

Hi all – I’m in the middle of a pretty bad wave and scheduled for a colonoscopy this Thursday.  I have put it off for over a year and I’m at the age when my father was diagnosed with colon cancer (he died from it).  So I can’t really put it off any longer.  I’m very nervous about the sedation and its potential impact on my situation.  It sounds like propofol is the gentlest option?  Any thoughts are much appreciated.  Thanks. 

21 years of daily SSRI use in total...

Paxil                                                                                                                                                 1995-1998

Zoloft (50 mg)                                                                                                                                 1998-2002

Lexapro (10 mg)                                                                                                                              2002-2015    (**August 2015, Lexapro “stopped working" after near death of my 1.5 yr. old son**)

Lexapro (15/20 mg) - increasing dose only made SEs worse                                                     Nov 2015 - Mar 2016

Zoloft (25/50 mg) - made derealization worse                                                                            Mar 2016 - Jul 2016

Celexa (20 mg) - made symptoms worse                                                                                    Oct 2016 - Jan 2017

Remeron (7.5 mg) - helped me eat and sleep for 4 nights, then went bad                               Jan 2018 (stopped after 2 weeks)

Lamictal (5.0 mg) - horrific withdrawal                                                                                        Jan 2018 - Oct 2020

TODAY - 100% DRUG FREE 

(Trialed Prozac, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta - severe reaction, couldn't tolerate longer than a few days)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy