SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Colonoscopy?

Nikki

Alex...

I recently had the routine colonoscopy and the Propofol agreed with me. I was very worried it would not.

As for your upcoming procedure....my suggestion would be to stay put at your current dose from now until after the surgery. Tell the anethesiologists about w/d. Tell the surgeon as well.

Do what you can and turn the rest over. Coach yourself into believing the outcome with the w/d and anesthesia will be okay.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

In my limited experience, benzos are frequently administered for 'minor' procedures like an endoscopy or colonoscopy.

In my first try, docs felt surgical anesthetic unnecessary. Attempted to put me out with a narco-benzo drip (phentanyl and versed). This was not effective. They were shocked that I entered the procedure room in full conversational mode. So the procedure was aborted and rescheduled.

Propofol worked well for me and without adverse effect. Also they didn't administer a benzo, which I would today decline b/c of my benzo history. Plus its entirely unnecessary with a surgical anesthetic so I don't even know that they are paired.

In the future, I will insist on propofol even if it means (as it did before) that the hospital must bring down an anesthesiologist as well, which did complicate things a bit last time. But it's benzofree and agreed well enough with my CNS.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Alex...

I recently had the routine colonoscopy and the Propofol agreed with me. I was very worried it would not.

As for your upcoming procedure....my suggestion would be to stay put at your current dose from now until after the surgery. Tell the anethesiologists about w/d. Tell the surgeon as well.

Do what you can and turn the rest over. Coach yourself into believing the outcome with the w/d and anesthesia will be okay.

Hugs

Thanks for the hugs and advice, Nikki. Happily, I don't have any surgery upcoming. I think I did start this thread but it was back in October.

I'm glad you got the propofol for your colonoscopy. It was for a colonoscopy that an alternative approach was tried (unsuccessfully) on me some time ago.

- Zimmerman

In my limited experience, benzos are frequently administered for 'minor' procedures like an endoscopy or colonoscopy.

In my first try, docs felt surgical anesthetic unnecessary. Attempted to put me out with a narco-benzo drip (phentanyl and versed). This was not effective. They were shocked that I entered the procedure room in full conversational mode. So the procedure was aborted and rescheduled.

Propofol worked well for me and without adverse effect. Also they didn't administer a benzo, which I would today decline b/c of my benzo history. Plus its entirely unnecessary with a surgical anesthetic so I don't even know that they are paired.

In the future, I will insist on propofol even if it means (as it did before) that the hospital must bring down an anesthesiologist as well, which did complicate things a bit last time. But it's benzofree and agreed well enough with my CNS.

Alex

Thanks so much for the info! I have surgery coming soon &I will talk to my doctor & anesthesiologist about it. I just hope they take me seriously.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• 2 months later...

Alex I had colonoscopy and few months back and the anesthesia is what concerned me, not what they would find. AD's have given me issue with anesthesia.

I was given propofol and much to my surprise I was A okay with it.

I did not have a hangover or any other issues.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Alex I had colonoscopy and few months back and the anesthesia is what concerned me, not what they would find. AD's have given me issue with anesthesia.

I was given propofol and much to my surprise I was A okay with it.

I did not have a hangover or any other issues.

Hugs

What painkillers did they give you after the surgery?

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Dani after a colonoscopy no pain killers are required. There is no pain involved.

The prep is miserable, but painless.

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Dani after a colonoscopy no pain killers are required. There is no pain involved.

The prep is miserable, but painless.

Hugs

I need to have a myomectomy done for fibroid tumors & the removal of an ovarian cyst. I'll be in the hospital a few days. They will basically do like a c-section cut so I'm sure I'll need painkillers during recovery. :(

• 9 months later...

I've been off meds for 9 months now and experiencing major G.I. issues for the past 3.5 months. I follow the SCD diet which helps, but I still have diarrhea, gas and a noisy digestive system which gets worse in the evenings. I've lost around 8 pounds recently which is a lot for me as I am quite slim already. The gastrointestinal distress causes me great anxiety especially at work and at social gatherings. The queasy, noisy digestion is unpredictable, I never know when to expect it. Homemade goat yogurt actually feels soothing to my system. Lately I eat pureed carrots, chicken, fish, eggs, steamed veggies and nuts. This has been probably the worst symptom of withdrawal for me. I am at my wits end trying to figure what to eat. I have an endoscopy procedure in two weeks with a G.I. doctor. I'm cancelling the colonoscopy because the prep the day before involves taking laxative stimulants and a lot of chemicals to clean out my bowels. I know any stimulants and prescription medicines would wreak havoc on my system right now.

1993-2003 Prozac 20mg
2003-2010 Zoloft 10mg
2010-2012 Zoloft 10mg to 1mg (taper)

July 2012 - Drug free!

• 5 months later...

Hi all- I would like some advice please. I am due to have a colonoscopy next month. I am having withdrawal symptoms- anxiety, burning in the arms & neck etc. I am concerned about the drugs that they give to sedate during this procedure. Will this compound the w/d? Thanks in advance. This forum has been a true blessing for me. 

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't feel at all capable of giving advice about this since I have no medical background.  Can you talk with your nurse practitioner or doctor about this? Perhaps they can use an anesthetic that will be minimally upsetting to your system, or perhaps the procedure can be postponed for a bit.  Personally, I would hesitate to have any medical procedures that aren't urgently necessary during withdrawal, especially anything that involves an anesthetic, but that's me and my individual health history speaking.  There may be very good reasons for you to go ahead.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

It is just a routine screening - though I'm late in getting it done. I will probably reschedule it. Thanks for the input.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

• Administrator

I put off a colonoscopy because I didn't want to deal with the medication. Usually, they give you a benzo, Versed, rather than an anesthetic.

In Japan, they don't use drugs at all for colonoscopies. I talked to a woman recently who had a colonoscopy without sedation or anesthetic (in the US) and she said it wasn't bad at all.

I corresponded with a man with long-term withdrawal syndrome who had a colonoscopy with Versed and he said he didn't have any problems with it.

There's a lot of discussion in gastroenterology about how valuable a colonoscopy is and whether alternative methods, such as ultrasound, might be used.

I discussed this with my internist and she agreed a stool sample test was just as good. If it shows anything suspicious, then you have the colonoscopy. Ask your doctor about this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I don't have any opinion, but I did have a colonoscopy this spring while withdrawing from Wellbutrin. Because of that, and because I was on a benzo, they used Propofol. Everything went fine...it was so nice to have a little nap! Just not so nice to think of what they did while I was sleeping. The prep was the hardest part because just drinking Gatorade made me hypoglycemic (backlash from too much sugar) or something. I did much better when I switched to water and bouillon, or whatever it was they allowed.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thank you- that is a good option 

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

I also went with propofol since I was tapering Valium at the time and didn't experience any problems.

2.5 tapered to .75 mgs ativan (7 months) c/o to 7.50 valium tapered to 0 (15 months) benzo free 12/2011!<p>1500 mgs gabapentin microtapering, down to 1350 as of 1/5/2015, 1225 as of 11/1/2015

Thank you! I love this site- everyone is so helpful!!

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

• 2 weeks later...

I have massive stomach problems and not so sure how to correct it. My doctor wants me to go for a colonoscopy but i am too scared. I always feel bloated, everytime i eat or drink something i have heart palpitations, stomach swells up uncomfortably (Lots of gas build-up) i have pains everywhere, i feel nauseous and i struggle with constipation. This is just not normal for a 24 year old....

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• 3 months later...

I had a colonoscopy shortly after my final doses of Klonopin at end of long taper...they used Propofol, and I had no problems all.

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

• Administrator

I am planning to have one in 2 weeks with no sedation or painkiller. They say it's like menstrual cramps -- I have 40 years of experience with that!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Had the colonoscopy yesterday.

There were a few ouchy moments -- intense pangs lasting a few seconds each -- and I wouldn't say it was fun, but the procedure itself wasn't that difficult.

The staff did their best to persuade me to get the anesthesia, but I held firm. They had an anesthesia plan B ready in case I found the pain unbearable.

I saw my entire colon and chatted with the gastroenterologist, nurse, and technician throughout.

The gastroenterologist said I had the colon of a teenager. It did look pink and healthy. She praised me for being so relaxed -- she said she could see it in my colon.

The team was amazed I did it without drugs. The doctor said she was so proud of me about 20 times.

In colonoscopy, as in all things "all things must pass." Have a good attitude and you, too, can do a colonoscopy without drugs.

Had the colonoscopy yesterday.

There were a few ouchy moments -- intense pangs lasting a few seconds each -- and I wouldn't say it was fun, but the procedure itself wasn't that difficult.

The staff did their best to persuade me to get the anesthesia, but I held firm. They had an anesthesia plan B ready in case I found the pain unbearable.

I saw my entire colon and chatted with the gastroenterologist, nurse, and technician throughout.

The gastroenterologist said I had the colon of a teenager. It did look pink and healthy. She praised me for being so relaxed -- she said she could see it in my colon.

The team was amazed I did it without drugs. The doctor said she was so proud of me about 20 times.

In colonoscopy, as in all things "all things must pass." Have a good attitude and you, too, can do a colonoscopy without drugs.

I am surprised this is not offered as an option more often. I had a colonscopy in 2010 after a pelvic weight lifting injury and I negotiated for just teh propfol (no benzo) and it never occured to me to do it without the drugs. I remember seeing the scope and thinking, jeez that thing is tiny and feeling relieved because for some reason I feared I'd be assaulted with an elephants trunk. In retrospect the propofol seems downright excessive. I had a piece of my bone sawed off last December and I endured that with only novacaine.

All said, good job Alto.

On the original topic, my experience with propofol was fine, no problems. The medication was very powerful to me though. I didn't remember going under or waking up, it was like 30minutes just disappeared from my life, very uneasy feeling but I was ok a few hrs later.

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Some people love propofol. The nurse said she wanted drugs for her colonoscopy because she liked the drugs. So there's that.

I saw my gyn a couple of days prior to the colonoscopy and she said she woke up during hers and, yep, the cramps felt like menstrual cramps.

I found them a little more intense but, big deal, I endured menstrual cramps every month for decades without begging for anesthesia.

In some cases, though, the person's colon is more twisty and I guess the procedure can be a lot more painful. Supposedly it's more difficult for women because women are smaller and have more organs packed in their abdomens. But I'm a small woman and it was fine without drugs, really.

When I need to have one, I may try it without drugs also because of my sleep apnea and being so sensitive to meds.    Since I plan to use guided imagery MP3 recordings pre op and post op to reduce my need for meds when I have surgery on 3/6, I can see this working with a colonoscopy.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Thanks Alto for letting us know & glad that you did so well. I'm afraid I would be too scared to try it without some sort of drugs. Still haven't done mine yet- this will convince me to schedule it anyway :)

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

• 2 months later...

Hey all! Hope everyone is feeling ok today..

I'm doing great for the most part but I recently  had to get a procedure done (colonoscopy-oh.so.fun. LOL) - it's an outpatient procedure-all was well which is good news but the 'prep' is hard on your body, and you basically don't eat for almost 2 days, and then the procedure you're given Propofol - 

​Coming out of it I felt ok-but that night and the next day I just felt so out of it. I was in such a haze, and I felt like my thoughts and anxieties and depression were surfacing. Now it could've been my lack of sleep and just a lot my body went through but as you all know when you've been through something if you get a glimpse of the 'old you' it can be very scary!

I wonder if this is a trigger? I looked at your 'non-psych drugs with psych drug reactions' and I didn't see it on there. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

​SO SORRY if i'm posting this in the wrong place.

Today i'm feeling better, not 100% but better. I'm just getting a little scared-I hope I didn't do permanent damage or anything  :unsure: I also haven't exercised in a couple of weeks b/c i was sick, then the prep for this, new job, etc.

Thanks in advance..
Stace

stace

a friend of mine who is a nurse told me that anesthesia causes short term memory loss. 

When I had a hysterectomy in 1999 I was on Paxil.  I woke up in the Recovery Room crying.  I asked the Nurse to hold my hand.

Anesthesia yes and when I saw the Psych he told me there is a grieving period after having a hysterectomy.  The anesthesia added to the intensity.

I had a colonoscopy last year and was afraid of the outcome from anesthesia.  They use propofol.  I was fine.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have been referred for a colonoscopy. As I received my instructions today I started to worry about the effect it may have on me...

I have to use a laxative called MoviPrep. It will completely flush everything out of my body.

Has anybody had a colonoscopy whilst on SSRI?

I am thinking about cancelling this assessment...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Moderator Emeritus

I'll be looking for experienced responses, since I am due to have one myself! 

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

I may not expose myself for this extra "pain"...I have just managed to get a bit more settled and stronger...

The way I read about preparation, it takes at least of two days of complete mayhem, the side effects and drug interactions are quite worrying...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

Hi ikam,

What is the reason given for the suggestion that you have the colonscopy?

If you need to go through with it and don't have the option of postponing it, some suggestions that might make it easier.

1.    Do the procedure without any sedation.   Need to find an gastro who is experienced at doing this and will be gentle.

2.    Ask for propofol sedation.   My reasoning is that as someone who is very sensitive to meds, I have had zero problems with this drug.   Of course, your mileage will vary but the recovery is quite quick usually.   Disadvantage is insurance may not cover the drug for a colonoscopy.

3.   I saw this in the news but of course, I can't find the link.   Instead of being required to normally eat a clear liquid diet the day before the procedure, researchers found that eating a low fiber diet up until a certain hour works just as well and doesn't weaken you as much for the procedure.    Ask your doctor if this is an option.

Best of luck with your decision.

I don't need to do this urgently. My GP referred me as I have low iron. But I read about PPI use and I think this is the reason. I have been on PPI for a very long time...

I expect that I would have lots of problems with MoviPrep.

I don't think I will get any understanding from my GP...

I have to take my decision myself...and I more gearing towards not having it...

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/Drugsafety/UcM253840.pdf

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/12/09/colonoscopy-pros-cons.aspx

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

• 2 months later...

I had a consultation with gastrologist on Friday. He wants me to do CT Colonography, as he wants to find the reason for my anaemia. Unfortunately I will need to take some contrast medication prior to the procedure: https://www.drugs.co...de-effects.html

I am really concerned that this will affect me badly...

I tried to talk to him about PPI, and he said "it looks you are dependant so you will need to take it for life!"...

He was talking about anaemia and iron deficiency and did not even mention they may be a result of PPI!

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Have you looked into tapering off of the PPI to see if that improves things?  What were you put on it for?

You also might look into getting a 2nd opinion from another doctor.  How does that work in the UK?

CS

• Administrator

Good idea about the PPI, compsports. Nobody is "addicted" to a PPI. It does require a fast taper to go off. See Tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers or PPIs...

ikam, please see discussion of colonoscopy above in this existing topic. I had one without sedatives.

Also, use search in this forum to see other mentions of colonoscopy.

Thank you both. I am not going to deal with PPI as yet. Only just started Escitalopram. It will take me about two yeras or more. Dont know when to start PPI though...

I started PPI for acid reflux, I have it bad, affects oesophagus. But now I have it even worse (rebound acid) every time I try to stop PPI...

I will not have sedation. It is CT Colonography, less invasive. I need to have it done, but I think my anaemia relates to PPI, not to internal bleeding, as doctors want to see. They look for pathology everywhere, but they are "the main cause" of pathology themselves!

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy