Abilifyneedhelp88: Here for information and support......

Abilifyneedhelp88

Hello All,

I am glad I found this site because I have been at wits end trying to find someone who has information/experience about withdrawing from the drug abilify I was put on it after a brief hospitalizatioon in May 2013 for a suicide attempt/depression side of bipolar. I also take Trileptal 900mgam/pm.  

On Abilify I have experienced anticholinergic effects, orthostatic hypotension, and a sedated kind of doped out feeling and thoughts are not always clear. It is my desire to get off Abilify because of its dangers of more intense SE's as time goes on and the desire to prepare my body for pregnancy. My husband and I are currently trying now. I am 43 and believe my childbearing years are waning.

I recently discussed my situation with my doctor in letting him know about my feelings, etc. At that point we made the agreement not to get off just yet because I had been studying for an RN refresher course and had a huge exam in which I took two days ago. I had been searching all over the internet and making calls to detox centers and no one has heard of abilify detox. I regret going on the abilify and think a lot of these drs are very quick to prescribe anything for any little thing.

My doctor likes to tell me "You are doing better than you think you are" and I have to disagree. I canceled my appt which was a day before my exam with him specifically bc I did not want to get into a stressful conversation with him before my nursing exam which was a wise choice on my part. My next appt with him is Oct. 2.

I am tired of being convinced that I need to be on it and leaving his office with yet another prescription for 15mg of Abilify. And when I discuss all the dangerous SE"s with him that e could possibly happen he just says Oh that's a small percentage and the drug company has to put that on the list because there's a 0.1% chance of that happening. This really bothers me.....And I am not sure how any Dr. can consciously and ethically prescribe this drug knowing all the possible things that could happen. (See Drugs.detox.com)

I just want to get off of it safely and I honestly don't think most Dr's know how to do this or even want to. The last time I expressed getting off a regime before he wanted me to sign a liability waiver. I am not sure how to approach this subject again with him and I am tired of being "compliant" He has made so much money off of me visiting him every two weeks.

And to complicate matters since I was hospitalized the state board of nursing put me on a 5 year probationary  status where I am tied into seeing this Dr. and they are looking for compliance. But does compliance mean doing everything the doc says? My doctor believes that the only possible reason to give the board as to tapering down is a possible pregnancy since he has to report to them every 90 days. (He seems to dismiss any of the SE's I am experiencing as a reason to discontinue) And I'm afraid if I get pregnant then he's going to want to take me down fast. So I need to know how to propose to him taking me down BEFORE I get pregnant. 

I feel like a gullible fool for him making me believe I need this and me knowing all the dangers associated with it but I know there is a physical dependence going on here. And I'd l to like to know how others have done this and approached their Dr's on this issue (of getting off) I'd like to know the best way to self advocate....and how I can guide my doctor into the best way of tapering down and what is that? I have heard the 10% rule but a lot of these docs want to go down 30 to 50% within a week to four weeks and because I have an upcoming hospital clinical in the next two months I don't want to attempt a drastic change.but the need for me to get off this is very strong......Any suggestions of how to handle this next appointment? My nephrologist says that I should be political, about it but I am not sure exactly what that means or how to go about it.  (Help!!)

Edited by scallywag
tags; prev. added paragraph breaks for easier reading

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abilifyneedhelp88

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

• Edted

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what to tell you about handling your doctor.  Most of them are just clueless about antidepressants and antipsychotics because they get most of their information from drug company reps.  You can imagine how little incentive "detail men" have to tell the truth. As for detox centers, there are no such things in the USA that I know of.

Here's our topic on getting off Abilify:

Tips for Tapering Off Abilify

And also the more general topic on tapering by ten per cent:

Why Taper By 10% of My Dosage?

Fifteen milligrams is a very high dose of Abilify, so you'll want to come down from that very gradually. Ten per cent is the maximum amount anyone should taper at a time, but many of our members have found that 7%-3% works better for them.

One of our moderators is especially well versed about the atypical antipsychotics and I'm hoping he'll be along to advise soon. It would be very helpful if you could add your drug and drug withdrawal history to your signature.  Here are directions:

How to Add Your Drug History to Your Signature

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of good information and friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome, Abiifyneedhelp.

Your nephrologist has given you good advice. What I would do is not argue with your doctor. That is not politic. Rather, point out that since you're doing so well, you'd like to go down to the lowest effective dosage for your safety and the baby's. Tell him you' d like to very gradually reduce so as to carefully monitor for relapse. He is concerned about relapse.

Don't ask his permission to go off. Set the agenda in a cooperative way.

Few of us have found we can communicate with doctors about going off psychiatric drugs. They have an almost religious faith in them.

PS Can you get your case transferred to one of the doctors on this list http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi,

Alto,

I think at this point that is the best advice I have right now in trying to talk to my doctor. If he says that 15mg is the lowest dose at all possible for me and will not budge on a decrease, I will have no other choice but to seek out Debra London M.D. who is about an hour a way versus the 5 min for my current doc. and hope that she will be willing to decrease me and would be willing to make reports to the State Board as to my condition. I am not sure how to bring up that state board situation with a Doctor because they seem nervous about that and I do not want to ruin my chances in developing a new relationship with a new Doctor such as Dr. London. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle that part of it with a new doctor? I do feel that another woman might be able to understand my reproductive wishes.  My current Dr. seemed so concerned about what he was going to tell the board when I told him I didn't want to be on the Abilify long term. And it seemed that pregnancy was the only justifiable reason, not because it makes me drowsy, somnolent, spacey, dizzy, tired and over-worried about TD, NMS, serotonin syndrome, etc. and how I feel I am playing Russian roulette when I take it. I will approach my current doctor with your advice on the 2nd, then make my decision to see Dr. London after that. Also I was thinking of emailing Dr. London-How would one go about discussing a new case? Its been so long since I have been to a new Doctor. I know she is not in my insurance plan so financial discussions would be in order. Please let me know your suggestions in how to go about introducing self and situation. Also to the first poster- In order to make 10% decreases you would have to get a Dr. to prescribe liquid abilify Which may be difficult if he does not want to decrease in the first place. How do you convince your doctor that is what you want if he is so afraid to do it? Are others making this decrease on their own? And how are they doing it with all of the different dosages? One would think you need a Dr's order and follow through...Please advise on how to proceed with the new doctor as far as introducing my case and my wishes. Thanks..I don't want to scare a new doc off with the State Board situation....And what would I tell the state board as to my desire to change? They are just as strict in the medical model and ingrained in modern psychiatry...

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

7/12/14-3.75mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I like Alto's approach, something like this: I am doing so well on this wonderful miracle psychiatric drug that is so great, and it's fixed me so well I'm stable now, but I'm wondering if a somewhat smaller dose might be just as effective and maybe safer since I want to have a baby. So I would like to taper down a little bit and see if I can be just as stable on a lower dose. And I want to do that very slowly, monitoring all the while for possible relapse, and staying at the lowered dose for a while to make sure I'm going to stay stable.

(I can't say about the stuff with the board, I don't understand the concerns or ramifications about that. But I would expect that if you couch things in these terms, as Alto said--emphasizing the concern about relapse and the concern for your baby--those are things the medical establishment does consider legitimate, unlike side effects.)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

I've only corresponded with Dr. London via e-mail. She seems very understanding. You might e-mail her and suggest a phone call.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Alto,

I am going to try the advice that was given on my current doctor,then make a judgment accordingly after the appointment. I will keep you updated on what the outcome is after the Oct.2 appt. Meanwhile my mother conveniently told me about the Treatment Advocacy Center's involvement with 60 minutes on Sunday....She's so gung ho about them....

I like Alto's approach, something like this: I am doing so well on this wonderful miracle psychiatric drug that is so great, and it's fixed me so well I'm stable now, but I'm wondering if a somewhat smaller dose might be just as effective and maybe safer since I want to have a baby. So I would like to taper down a little bit and see if I can be just as stable on a lower dose. And I want to do that very slowly, monitoring all the while for possible relapse, and staying at the lowered dose for a while to make sure I'm going to stay stable.

(I can't say about the stuff with the board, I don't understand the concerns or ramifications about that. But I would expect that if you couch things in these terms, as Alto said--emphasizing the concern about relapse and the concern for your baby--those are things the medical establishment does consider legitimate, unlike side effects.)

Are you being sarcastic about the "wonderful miracle psychiatric drug that is so great" ? I better be a good actress....lol

7/12/14-3.75mg

Dear abilifyneedhelp88:

I would have responded earlier, but lots goin' on right now. Please read my intro so you know where I'm coming from. Given the huge variability in individuals, the "your mileage may vary" is always in play. So here's what I think.

Doctors rarely have any insight into the drugs they prescribe for "mental illness". Of all the countless reports of people coming off drugs, I've never run across one that said the doctor knew what he was doing. Withdrawal doesn't care about your time frame....it takes the time that it takes.....sounds cold, but it's true. Liquid Abilify is much easier to use for tapering (my son used the excuse to his psychiatrist that the liquid seemed to smooth out the initial slam 3 hours after taking it), but there are plenty of other justifications you could provide.

This brings up the moral/practical question, of honesty with your psychistrist. My son made the decision some time ago that nothing would outweigh his pursuit of his mental health. That's totally your call. It shouldn't be that way, but...

You haven't been on an atypical very long. It is generally thought that the longer one is on a drug, the more problematic the withdrawal. Again (and again, and again) that is a generalization. Please be careful. You'll find a re-current theme from people who've attempted (successfully and not) that one's system has been sensitized by exposure to these drugs and one needs to be careful not to let the withdrawal get ahead of the healing.

My son 's experience with Abilify was that (after testing the water) he needed time to adjust to the switch from pill to liquid. A test reduction from 15 to 14 went well (one month wait time). He was fairly aggressive in reducing to 5Mgs, often moving by 2Mgs per month. Remember please that this was one persons experience,

There is some possible rationale for this particular drug in that it has a very high receptor occupancy at 5 Mgs. After 5Mgs he is limiting himself to no more than a 5% per month reduction. His taper will take him more than 5 years.

Your journey is your journey. With the variability between individuals, some generalizations still hold up.....I think...: never try to tough it out (re-instate, to somewhere between where you were and when things got worse within days of the difficulty), take the time to map out withdrawal effects brought on by other things (diet, sleep, exercise, life), treat yourself like you would a friend, live healthy.

OK, I've droned on and on, but Abilify is an extremely powerful drug, even in low doses. My son seems to have found a protocol for tapering that is working, but he suffered horribly from protocols that failed when he didn't go slow enough to allow his mind to watch over his brain.

Be well,

Ed

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph breaks for readibility

Hi,

I recently was on Just Answer talking to one of their Psychiatrists about this and he said he had withdrawn hundreds and hundreds of patients on Abilify using the following method:

From 15mg to 10mg for one week, then maintain on 5mg for one week, then maintain on 2mg maintain for one week, then take 2mg dose every alternate day for one week, then stop the drug altogether. He said that this strategy would help me to come off the drug without any possible withdrawal effects.

Any comments on this one?

7/12/14-3.75mg

There is no way to guarantee any strategy will be free of any possible withdrawal effects. I took abilify and thought it was a horrible drug. If I were you I'd start to taper. I tend to think the first cut allows a lot more leeway and I also value being off the medications as soon as possible, within reason. I know I tapered about the equiv of 5mg of abilify per cut and I did have some w/d symptoms. I think you are going to experience some w/d symptoms no matter what. That doesn't mean it's going to be horrific or anything though.

I find it terrifying that your much of the decision making rests in your doctors hands. I know how desperately trying it can be to feel misunderstood and powerless. I also agree with some posters who encourage you to take back your authority. You are in charge of your healthcare and you don't need a doctor's permission to do what you want to do nor do you have to do something you don't want to do because doc thinks you should. Please make doctor aware of this, adopt this attitude and work towards reclaiming your freedom.

Like I said I think tapering is a something worth starting asap. Of course I'd rather be damned for doing rather than not and you only know how you prefer your damning, should it come to that.

Good luck. I think you're really likely to get through it though and put this whole nightmare behind you. Believe in yourself, trust yourself. You know a lot more than you think and your doctors are not able to help you, remember that.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Hi,

I recently was on Just Answer talking to one of their Psychiatrists about this and he said he had withdrawn hundreds and hundreds of patients on Abilify using the following method:

From 15mg to 10mg for one week, then maintain on 5mg for one week, then maintain on 2mg maintain for one week, then take 2mg dose every alternate day for one week, then stop the drug altogether. He said that this strategy would help me to come off the drug without any possible withdrawal effects.

Any comments on this one?

In my opinion, that would most likely be a recipe for a big time disaster because the tapering pace would be way too fast.  And taking a drug every other day puts your body into withdrawal.

Personally, I would listen to the experts on this thread who have advise you to taper very slowly.

Best of luck.

CS

PS - You might want to search the archives of all the people who ended up on this board due to doctors like that who suggested a fast tapering schedule just to see how well they fared. They didn't.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

At least that psychiatrist sort of tapers for a month.

Strongly recommend trying our very gradual approach at the beginning to see how dosage reductions affect you.

Also, you have no idea what this doctor considers a successful taper. Could be he routinely misdiagnoses withdrawal symptoms as relapse and re-medicates.

Hi,

Thinking ahead here, Does anyone know if you are in the middle of a prescription (Abilify) say I have about 16,17 pills left and I change to liquid, how do I get my insurance company to pay for that? I know sometimes they will not let me refill until I only have a few left. What do you do in that instance? My original prescription was approved to 2099.

7/12/14-3.75mg

Dear Abilifyneedhel88:

I don't know about your insurance coverage, but under my son's plan, if the medication is changed, it doesn't matter where he was with the old med. I'd get the new scrip filled and if there's any problem when you go to pick it up, leave it until you get it squared away with your insurance co.

Ed

I am an RN, and I may have bipolar...I've been surely treated for it!

A couple of thoughts....sometimes pdocs talk of taking people off these drugs, but they are really switching them to something else, either within the class or to another class. Big difference.

What are you thinking about the Trileptal?

Do you know what happened that led to your depression and hospitalization (you certainly don't need to share that with us)? If I was your new doctor, I would want to know that as part of the decision matrix.

Best!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi Fellow RN,

I have been on Trileptal for three years being switched from Lithium. My attempt was basically feeling so tired about being tired from all these drugs. I felt like I had no life left in me and although I can see it as an impulsive action, I do not believe all of this should be treated with such strong drugs. I think Mental illness is very overrated. We never hear about this from the 50's. I just want to be free of mind altering drugs-prescription...as do most people on this board. I see my Doctor on Wednesday who is making 6 figures and I have probably been guilty of paying for his kids education in treatment fees. I just want my brain back and intend to muster up the courage to self advocate for myself for a decrease bc this drug is making me sick. My life depends on me getting off of this Abilify and I thank God I found this board. These Dr's are getting rich off us and have a salesman like attitude. I'm just not buying it anymore after what I hear about them giving Abilify to children and 30 percent of nursing home residents are on antipsychotics even though the black box warning warns against it. I  have been on these drugs one kind or another for 28 years and I can tell you it has done nothing to improve my life but give me kidney disease, mess with menstrual period, my hormones, etc. I won't be convinced any more because I am the only one who knows how I feel. I plan to counter any possible withdrawal symptoms with natural supplements. And I WILL not allow him to switch me to something else..I have had enough. And my organs are telling me so...After becoming an RN you see the other side of things and you realize how much this is a money making business. I do believe people are helped through this but honestly I don't want my moods altered anymore. The risk is too great. And I want to live for at least another 30 years and do not see that happening on Abilify. I would be careful of the Lthium........

7/12/14-3.75mg

• Administrator

Trileptal will need tapering, too.

One at a time Alto, One at a time....

7/12/14-3.75mg

Hello All,

So now my journey begins.....Spoke with Dr. Mercedes Benz, Yes he has a 100K car. I rehearsed what I was going to say today and made up my mind I was not going to leave that office without a prescription for Liquid Abilify. Turns out, Yes he was going to decrease me from 15mg to 10mg because he said Abilify just doesn't come in smaller increments and that is when I said, "Oh well the oral liquid you can make smaller increments and I am only interested in decreasing 1.5mg to see what my reaction would be and that I would feel more comfortable decreasing gradually. When he was talking larger increments, he said that if I relapsed it would take even more medication to get me stable...I told him I was responsible for my own behavior and this is why I want to decrease even more gradually. He said I probably would not feel the decrease and it is only when you get lower do you start feeling the withdrawal. He said that he knows I am under stress and that he didn' t think it was the right time...and that he didn't want to see me not get a job or lose my nursing license. I said that I wanted to get pregnant in the next 1.5 years and that there really is no "right time". (Like I want to stay on Abilifiy and have an MI or a stroke which is a concern) I told him I didn't like the drug and I wanted off...So now my insurance company wants to precertify which could take 7-14 days after the Dr. and insurance company go back and forth with the oral solution. My doctor said he would do what I wanted. And he didn't have me sign a liability waiver so he seems to go along with this. Now my question to those who have been reading this thread..After the month at 1.5, and things seem to go ok hopefully, what is the next step? I am appreciative esp. to Alto and Alexjis to encourage me to take back my authority which is exactly what I did. I went in assertively looking like I was going for a business interview and laid it all out for him. He took his best shot in trying to get me to stay on it which is exactly what I expected from a Drug Salesman. But I didn't give up..........................................So it all begins here for me now. Oh and for those who want to know the cost of this killer drug...its 780.93 a month without approval...How they can do that is more insane than any mental illness....So I had success and I would like to hear from others on how I should proceed...I did also tell him that if I became pregnant while on this drug I would have to accelerate the process. And he did make some mention about the Trileptal but I said my main concern was getting off the Abilify first.....Comments....???

7/12/14-3.75mg

• Administrator

Good for you, you got what you wanted -- and educated Dr. M Benz!

After a 1.5mg drop, you would drop again, by 10%. That would be 10% of 13.5mg, or 1.35mg -- and so forth.

Hi,

I have been recently reading the posts about feelings about doctors and I have to say how angry I am at my doctor for prescribing me medication in the past (Risperadone) which closed me off from being able to have children because it suppresses the ability of a woman to have her period by increasing the prolactin level. For three years I believed him that I needed to be on this and that I had a "chemical imbalance" Even my mother ingrained it into my head by saying I had a "brain disorder" And "modenkrn medicine seems to support the idea of bipolar disorder. My husband believes I have it, my doctor, my mother, etc. And even I believed it for a long time and that is why I allowed myself to be medicated. My doctor thinks I will fall apart without the medication because he says he "knows" me.....And has seen me go through other challenges..

I remember a saying that says " True strength is staying together when everyone thinks you are going to fall apart" I guess this bares true here. Does anyone else have a problem with the way society, the medical field and family and most of everyone else believes that bipolar disorder exists? I have had my situations in hospitals but I think it was more of family stress and I resent my mother taking me to a psychiatrist when I was 15 who sent me to a behavioral health hospital then instead of a GP. Thats where it all began and now professionally I have to admit to having a 'mental health dx" when I don't 100% believe that is true in my heart of hearts. I have spent my time in hospitals but mainly they were because of other people's fears about me having the "disorder" and also my own belief in thinking...Oh I have a disorder, Oh no I just had a suicidal thought...That means I need to be in the hospital....Christ!!! How many times did I think that? Now I don't believe one has to be "medicated" for a suicidal thought and how I could kick myself for taking my self to the hospital for that....I just want to get off this merry go round of Doctors, therapists and medication, of people who act like they know everything about this illness and push it on you when in reality they know nothing but how to control for their own financial benefit. I have been on some form of medication because I was told I had a life long illness and would never be free of medication. And all I can think of is "What the Hell are they doing to my brain? And I am allowing this???? And this has been going on for almost 30 years...How could I have been so naïve? Going to the Pool to Cool off... My life could have been so different....I just want off but everyone KNOWS I have a "mental Illness" and this is "always treated with medication and therapy" When am I going to get off this Merry Go Round???? Need to relax now....I can feel my bp rise...

Edited by Abilifyneedhelp88

7/12/14-3.75mg

How long will it take me to taper off of 15mg of Abilify? What am I looking at? And how does one come to terms with that if their goal is to get pregnant within 15months .?

My biggest fear is that if I do become pregnant during this time, my doctor will drop me down quickly, I'll have symptoms and have to go on even more drugs which Is NOT my path. How can I avoid this? My liquid abilify should be here in about another week to start reductions. Edted- I know your son has been reducing very very slowly but I do not have 5 years to get off this drug due to my pregnancy plans...And I understand your son is in a very  different situation than mine....Anyone?

7/12/14-3.75mg

I think you have 3 big goals: reclaim your life from excessive (or any)pharmaceuticals; get pregnant really soon, deliver a healthy baby, and successfully navigate the delicate post-partum period; and establish your nursing career. I think you realize those are all huge. It seems to me that you need a doctor, or a therapist, or someone that you really trust who is right there with you, seeing you in your totality. Are you going to use reproductive medicine? They might have a psychiatrist they work with. The problem with going fast is that if you run into trouble, you'll just have to start back over again. I hear your anger, and I know the sadness of not having a baby when you long for one.

One of the doctors on the SA list, in New York, is an integrative psychiatrist who specializes in women's issues. Sorry I don't remember her name, but you could at least sign up for her emails. I also found the article Harm Reduction helpful. It's at theicarusproject.net in the resources section.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Hi Meimi and others,

Although it would be nice to see someone in New York, it is just not practical for me to travel two hours on an ongoing basis. There is someone who is an hour away from me who is an integrative Psychiatrist but she is out of network on my insurance plan, and asks for payment upfront which would be a financial strain being that I am not working and on my husbands plan. My current psychiatrist seems willing to work with me but of course informed me casually about just saying it was not wise and that I could decompensate. He is five minutes away from me in the same town but after reading this board my trust in him is about 75%. He is difficult to reach in an emergency and I have had in the past to make medication adjustments on my own with the help of my husband and I discussing what to do. I do feel more empowered after my last visit with him and feel more in control of my life. I do have concern and fears after reading a lot of the experiences on this board and wonder how I will fare. I currently have the following doctors: primary care, psychiatrist, nephrologist, urologist, therapist, chiropractor, ob/gyn and on this tues a fertility doctor. If I could find a way to consolidate all of these, it would be more manageable and less taxing on me and of course my insurance company would love me. I will ask the fertility doctor if they work with certain psychiarists or if they would be willing to work with the current one I have. I have been with this current psyche for about 3 years and up to now I have been letting him have control because I thought  he knew what was best for me and  I had trust in him but after my own research, my own knowledge, this board and my gut feelings and how I feel on these meds and the harm reduction guide, my own goals, I have to be extremely careful about this and everyone's experiences here have taught me that. I do have access in my town of someone who practices integrative medicine and integrative holistic and I am wondering if I should see him? Could he replace some of these other practitioners? Can someone give me an opinion?  Google: ( steiner medical in Phoenixville) He is not a Psychiatrist but he may be helpful in "looking at me in totality" and take a look at what I am currently doing for my health and what my goals are of pregnancy and reducing meds. My agreement with the state of PA outlines my current tx but if I do decide to change dr's I have to let them know within 14days. Well I am tired now and going to bed but please someone give me your opinion on this Ira Cantor of  Steiner Med. Thanks....Oh and I have not made a decision of reproductive medicine yet but like all dr's they push their own tx....... 

7/12/14-3.75mg

Does anyone know if the Antidepressant checklist have a sister component for Antipsychotics?

7/12/14-3.75mg

Ok it really sickens me that when I opened my medicine cabinet there is Abilify 15mg, Latuda 80mg, Seroquel XR 100mg, and Risperadone 4mg.....Jesus Christ....My husband has been saving this just in case I needed it and needed to switch back. I went from Risperadone 4mg to Latuda40 to 80mg to off Latuda CT  because of movements to Risperadone 4mg to 1mg Risperadone to off in a week to on Abilify 10mg then on 15mg while reducing Lamictal 150 and increasing Trileptal from 150 to 1800...All in One year...And to think, I consented to all of this but was it informed consent?? No,

I was on between 1mg and 4mg Risperadone for three years while taking Trileptal 1800mg and also in between that time I was also on Remeron 30-45mg and Wellbutrin 150mg at different times. Came off Wellbutrin (unknown period of time) Sometime in 2011. I was on Lithium the longest (25 years)unaware of what it was doing to my kidneys. with times of Seroquel and Zyprexa.  And when I was a lot younger I was on Prozac for a shorter period of time. Been through 19 hospitalizations in 30 years from other people and my own stupidity of going there myself and admitting myself at least 4-5 times...been shot up with Haldol in the hospital when I refused to take medication. Had Ativan at my request.

What the "F" are they doing to us? And why are we letting them? Is it because when we are in distress, we go to them and they offer it to us and we will try anything? Stevie Nicks once said that the biggest mistake she ever made was going to a Psychiatrist....I think these drugs not only interrupt basic processes in the brain but cause memory problems, encourage suicidality, cloudy thinking and make a mess out of our nervous systems by anticholinergic effects, orthostatic hypotension, and the list goes on... anyone can read the inserts........I feel like a victim to the profession but I knowingly went to these doctors even when I knew the risks .People were telling me I needed this. Doctors were only looking at the diagnosis itself and clinically treating it not viewing the person in entirety and keep adding more and more even when the body naturally rejects it by experiencing side effects. And now I can't take back those years....and fear I am physically dependant on this drug Abilify and Trileptal.....I need hope that I can get off of this and hope that my journey will not be debilitating....My emotions go from disgust to concern to anger to concern to fear and some embarrassment that I let it go on for this long. I feel deceived in some ways and angry that I lost all that time and allowed people to do what they did to me....Age 15-Thorazine to a teenager??? Restraints and even a straightjacket at age 15. Why on earth would someone do that to someone so young? And to think my mother gave them consent to "treat" me to go into ogurlyraric crisis. Now Doctors think they are suppressing behaviors indicative of psychosis when they could be indeed perpetuating them by their powerful drugs??? When is this going to stop?

7/12/14-3.75mg

Does anyone feel like their head is being squeezed or that they just have a numb feeling in their head? That is what I am experiencing today and I haven't even decreased anything......Has anyone felt like that? What is that?

7/12/14-3.75mg

• Administrator

ANH -- I moved your post here. It's unlikely many people are taking Abilify and Trileptal and would be able to answer your question.

It's very possible it's some kind of drug interaction. For drug interactions, see http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Interactions between your selected drugs
Posted Image oxcarbazepine ↔ aripiprazole

Applies to: Trileptal (oxcarbazepine), Abilify (aripiprazole)

OXcarbazepine may reduce the blood levels and effects of ARIPiprazole. Contact your doctorPosted Image if your symptoms worsen or your condition changes during treatment with these medications. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

There are interactions that aren't listed because they're more subjective feelings.

Liquid Abilify Day One-13.5mg head numbness- almost like dull headache. Swam 6-7 laps, Went to chiropractor, muscle pain in back-Dr. said it was from the change of slouching to sitting up straighter. Used heating pad this am. Still terrified about the possibilities of Abilify dangers. How could they possibly market this drug and why I did I get on it in the first place? Wanting to decrease at faster rate. Do not want to be on this for the next 10 months withdrawing. Must play it smart however. Praising God for Husband's insurance...Will change at the end of this month. Went to fertility doctor and said my best chance to get pregnant was using donor eggs. Went through preliminary bloodwork. Costs 30K. Don't know where that is coming from...Insurance Good but does not cover donors....Might look for that in next insurance. Two homeopathic remedys I got for anxiety which had Kava in it actually interacts with dopamine agonists and the other has too much alcohol in it 60% which could offset my drug screens so I will be taking Benadryl for sleep. Still very concerned about Abilify's deadly side effects. Wanting to decrease at higher rate...Don't want to be on this forever. Had ***** session with therapist about how I feel about being on drugs and Psychiatry and having a mental health label which I don't 100% believe in and how it has stolen 30 years of my life...and how I feel these drugs caused most of my problems as far as depression and people who thought I was Psychotic. Want to believe that getting off the drug is the right thing to do and that I will not have psychosis or anything such...Eating a lot more healthy. Extremely tired of wearing Mental Health label because it is someone else's opinion....Think Psychiatry should be labeled as a crime.....since they have us dependent on these drugs....

Fertility doc wants me to obtain medical releases from my Psychiatrist, my nephrologist and wants me to see a High Risk Maternal Fetal doc. My life seems like it revolves around docs and I can't seem to get my nursing career off the ground because I have been labeled by the state board....and my days are full of appts, exercise and some friends...then a lot of time alone....besides nights with my husband. By the way the Fert. Doc said my husband and I had a less than 1% chance of conceiving on our own..Been having some strange sensations on the top of my head like tiny little pains here and there....Seeing Intergrative Medicine doc on 22, urologist on 29 and Psych on the 16. When do I have time to work? Geesh...I am apprehensive about seeing my psyche bc I need to ask him for the medical consent for pregnancy which I believe he will give. What if he doesn't? I know if I have any symptoms he will not be of any help but to give me more drugs so I believe the intergrative doc might be able to help with that and may be able to offer me some help...mainly in the sleep area. Still waking up 2-3 times during the night to use bathroom. Nephrologist says that is good bc he knows my kidney are functioning. Had pains here and there today around left lung base when breathing in and sensitivity in ovarian area. Not making any decisions on Fertility arena until DX tests come back. Doctor said twice that we had "good insurance" Red Flag? Going now to see if Benadryl interacts with abilify or Trileptal....Will write more on Day Two...

7/12/14-3.75mg

Day Two- Still feeling angry that I have been under psychiatry nose

for so long.....spoke to Otsku Pharmaceuticals this am...they

don't even know how to discontinue...gave them my list of SE's/felt empowered.

Went to chirpracotor for back pain today, day two of 13.5mg...tasted better today...

Reading posts at Mad in America

Glad I am on the way off these Drugs!!!

Feel Alive...

On way to yoga...

Has anyone used the Road Back Program?

Why or why not?

7/12/14-3.75mg

• Administrator

Use search to find our discussions of the Road Back. We do not recommend it.

Day 3 Feel bad today

Not so good...fleeting suicidal thoughts, anxious and nervous, dizziness, headache, muscle stiffness, feeling like memory is affected, a little down.

Had lunch with a friend, then went swimming and had a pleasant conversation with a nursing student. Two other plans with friends fell through for tomm and next week, disappointed.

Feel as though I do not know what to do for myself nutritionally as far as supplements go, know it is very important in withdrawal...Guess Road Back is out, there is point of return-Has anyone heard of that? And I see the Integrative MD on the 22nd. I need to be nutritionally supported. Not sure where to go with this?

What are other people doing? And please if someone who can answer this question related to antipsychotics...

7/12/14-3.75mg

I have noticed that everyone who has made it back from major drugging has adopted some type of whole food eating plan. Decisions about meat, grains, gluten, high-histamine foods, dairy, can be really different. Veggies important to everyone. Also, info seems to be coming out constantly about the llink between bacteria in the gut and mental health. I TRY to work with my family on the Weston A. Price Foundation eating recommendations, and I also get (more) tired if I eat much gluten. Mercola.com has a lot of info on nutrition and mental health. Beyondmeds.com also has info.

Many people don't tolerate supplements well in withdrawal, but someone anecdotally reported that if you start the supplements before withdrawal, they may be better tolerated. Personally, I feel if supplements really work, they are making cellular changes, so need to be handled very carefully, like a drug. But this website strongly recommends fish oil and magnesium for everyone as they are almost impossible to obtain adequately from normal eating, and are important for mental health. Vitamin D also needs to be adequate, from sun or supplements. The big advice here on supplements is start small, one thing at a time, so you know the source if you have a reaction.

I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly already...you can up dose if you need to.

56 years old

Correction: ALMOST everyone who has made it back...

56 years old

Day 4

Still despising taking antipsychotic and struggle emotionally every time I have to pour that liquid bc I know that it is damaging my brain and I can even feel it now, the sedation, the haze, the less than clear thoughts and the orthostatic hypo., just feel like I am drinking liquid cyanide. But despite the SE's and what it is really doing to me, I had a pretty good day today. I made a schedule for myself which I kind of stuck to. But the spontaneous part of me kicked in and I altered it a bit by foregoing swimming for a holistic health fair, then a firehouse turkey dinner and then a childhood cancer cure festival. Oh yes and a 2o minute walk this morning. Had a interesting experience on the John of God crystal bed in which spirits are supposedly supposed to be working on you with 8 or so crystals beaming above you in tandem. Felt some strange sensations with that. Have full schedule tomm. with church, again the holistic fair to finish seeing the exhibits, then maybe some swimming as I would like to and then to an Icarus support group in Philly tomm. night. I find that keeping as busy as possible keeps my mind off my withdrawal. It is only when I tend to not have much to do that I start thinking about all of this Psyche stuff which makes me angry, bitter. But when I see that liquid cyanide get lower and lower its a little bit of a conquest even though I am putting it into my body. Met someone at the fair who suggested "energy work" and I am pleased to know that six of my seven chakras is open with the root (grounded) is somewhat closed. Some "interesting" people at the fair. Considering getting some chakra stones to keep them open while this decrease is going on...Will report later as to how this is going. Still in rhomboid, back and neck pain which does nothing to help me. Seeing chiro on Monday...Met a crystal vendor who had been on an antidepressant and used chakra stones and energy medicine to help him with getting off medicine. Maybe something for someone out there...

Heather

7/12/14-3.75mg

• Administrator

Please praise yourself for working on minimizing the Abilify instead of struggling with the process. You will feel better about it.

Good to hear you had a good day.