SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Pokeshaw: tapering off Lexapro

Pokeshaw

Wondering if anyone has had problems with switching to liquid lexapro. i have been tapering off 5mg of lexapro (after 7 yrs at 10 mg i stopped too quickly 2 yrs ago and got very sick).  over the past year i have gone from 5mg tablet to 1/4 tablet (1.25 mg) and now trying to use liquid. feeling more muscle tension, jaw clenching, carpal tunnel. i also am still dealing with gut issue. been tested for everything and all is good but 2-3 hrs after a bowel movement i can have dizziness, nausea, reflux, anxiety and increased hot flashes. days that i am constipated i have very low symptoms.

tried Dr. Hinz amino acid protocol for 10 months and it was interesting, i had some very good days but ended up being very up and down on it  so tapered off. it seemed to help some because once i got off it i felt better. now just trying to find some level of lex to feel ok on so i can continue with taper. i was playing around with cutting tablets up but hard to be accurate with that so my holistic dr. gave me script for the liquid. been 5 days at .70 mg and not sure if i need to go up a bit or just stay here for awhile. confusing since the muscle and gut sympoms are aggravated.  when i initially went off 10 mg lex one thing i noticed was that the muscle issue and constipation went away. but then i got really sick - like really sick. so now i am perplexed as to why the muscle issue has returned. it was pretty low when i was tapering from 5 mg. had some ups and downs with it on the amino acid protocol. i am a bit freaked that my nervous system is damaged and really want to believe it can heal. it certainly has healed some. i am much better than i was a year ago when i couldnt even work.

this is my first post - so alot of info. thanks!

Edited by JanCarol
tags added

7 yrs Lexapro 10 mg. Mar/2011 - 1 month taper. Severe W/D. Multiple symptoms.Gallbladder and parathyroid surgery in Aug and Oct. Disability 3 months.  Dec/2011 reinstated 5mg Lex and went back to work. very bad shape.

By Aug/2012 - self tapered to 1.25 mg cutting pills. -very bad shape. Nov/2012  Dr. Hinz neuro-replete. up and down. Aug/2013 at aprox 1.0 mg Lex stopped neuro-replete ~Oct 2013 Found this site  ~ began using compounded Lexapro and have been micro tapering since then and holding as needed.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

2/1/2018 - .135 mg  Now reducing 5-10% per month 

4/1/18 - .1 mg

4/17/18 - changed delivery from compounded individual caps to aliquot. went from .1 mg to .09 aliquot

7/4/2018 - .09 mg Holding due to wave of W/D symptoms

7/22/18 updosed to .1 mg aliquot

9/30/18 - reduced to .0975 aliquot

2/1/19 - updosed to .1 mg aliquot due to instability bad wave W/D

9/12/19 - back to .1 mg individual caps since could not get stable using aliquot

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pokeshaw

• bubble

• Rhiannon

• LexAnger

Also curious to know if anyone ever tried dr. Hinz amino acid protocol.

7 yrs Lexapro 10 mg. Mar/2011 - 1 month taper. Severe W/D. Multiple symptoms.Gallbladder and parathyroid surgery in Aug and Oct. Disability 3 months.  Dec/2011 reinstated 5mg Lex and went back to work. very bad shape.

By Aug/2012 - self tapered to 1.25 mg cutting pills. -very bad shape. Nov/2012  Dr. Hinz neuro-replete. up and down. Aug/2013 at aprox 1.0 mg Lex stopped neuro-replete ~Oct 2013 Found this site  ~ began using compounded Lexapro and have been micro tapering since then and holding as needed.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

4/17/18 - changed delivery from compounded individual caps to aliquot. went from .1 mg to .09 aliquot

9/12/19 - back to .1 mg individual caps since could not get stable using aliquot

• Administrator

Welcome, cjv.

We have some discussion of Dr. Hinz here -- use search and you shall find.

Also see our Lexapro tapering topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you! good to have found you all. really a godsend.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

I have reduced lexapro to what looks like 1/8 of a 5mg tablet, so aprox .60 or .70 mg but having trouble cutting up tablets.

Tried liquid lexapro for 1 week but had very bad side effects. anxiety/wired/no sleep/ extreme muscle cramping and return of gastro symptoms-reversed motility, reflux etc. hot flashes.....

so - back to tablets

any help with how to work with tablets for slow taper and get close to accurate amounts?

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

You might want to try making your own liquid.  Here's how:

How To Make A Liquid From Capsules Or Tablets

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 1 month later...

I have recently started taking compounded version of Lexapro but finding some symptoms aggravated. i could not tolerate liquid lexapro - got very wired/anxious and increased muscle clenching. the same thing happens when i used the generic tablets.

wondering if anyone has experience with the compounded version. i have list of the ingredients

Lexipro

Microcrystalline cellulose

methocel E4m (med viscosity)

Food color

Also, as a new member, should i be using the original intro i created and adding to it? or create a new topic each time? i cannot figure out how to find and update my original intro - to add to it like a journal.

thanks!

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Hi, cjv.

Please add to your existing Intro topic.

What are your symptoms? You may wish to adjust your dosage of the liquid. It could be it's a little too strong for you.

(Also, screen names are required to be 4 characters or more. Please send me a personal message with the longer screen name you'd prefer.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

HI All - please note that my screen name has changed from cjv to Pokeshaw.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Altostrata - You asked what my symptoms are.

My general up and down symptoms are

Constipation
or, if bowels move and even if normal i can have dizziness, nausea, reflux  (have been checked by holistic gastro MD for everything under the sun and he agrees it is a motility issue caused by the lexapro)
muscle clenching - neck/arms
Eye twitch
hot flashes
trouble sleeping
anxiety
OCD
confusion

Over the past yr i have tried to slowly taper down from 2.5 mg but i have had a lot of fluctuations and trouble finding a delivery method for the lexapro that allows me some stability.
in the past few months i have gone from cutting up lexpro 5 mg pills to try to get to aprox 1 Mg and lower, to trying the lexapro liquid, to where i am now which is -
taking 0.6 mg compounded version of Lexapro brand (not generic) in capsule form. the capsules are time released.

I feel like i have been all over the map over the past few months and i now realize from reading at this site that i have   likely been responding to the fluctuations in dosage even though they are small.

for instance, i went from (not very accurately) cutting up the pills to aprox 0.6 - 0.8 mg
to trying the liquid and starting that at 0.7 mg. I tried it for a few days and got very wired and the neck muscle clenching and pins and needles got extremely bad so i lowered to 0.5 mg but that didnt work so I went back to cutting up the pills. 

the doctor thought the increased symptoms on liquid lexapro was due to the liquid being too fast acting so we decided to try compounded capsules which are time released.

At first they gave me the generic 0.6 mg which i took for a few days then realized it was generic and switched to brand since generic in tablets always made me more anxious. 
but i got more depressed when i switched to brand so went back to generic and stayed on it for 3 wks.
mood was ok but constipation and muscle clenching and pins and needles was bad.
after 3 wks on 0.6 compounded generic i tried lowering from 0.6 to 0.5 but i got very sick for a few days. bowels started to move a bit but all the gastro symptoms increased and i became very anxious. so after 5 days at 0.5 mg  i went back to 0.6 but this time using the brand -
I have now been on 0.6 lexapro compounded capsules for 5 days and doing sort of ok.  i will see if i can stabilize here awhile before decreasing and when i do i will only taper to 0.55

it seems to me that the constipation is worse on the compounded time released lexapro.  I wonder if the time released ingredients are causing me problems?  the ingredients are:
Lexapro
Microcrystalline Cellulose
Methocel E4M Premium(med viscosity)
food color

There is very little i can take in terms of supplements that might aid with the gastro issues. i get very sick if i take probiotics (have tried several types)

still not sure what would be the best way for me to take the Lexapro. the only thing i havent tried is making my own liquid solution. But i think i should probably stick to one thing for awhile. i also understand now that each time i reduce dosage i might have a transition period of a few days to a week before stabilizing again. i think i have done alot of switching things after 2 or 3 days because of symptoms.

i get that I need to stick with one thing for awhile, which i will try to do. but would appreciate any advice!

this has been a very intense journey. i am much better than i was 2 yrs ago when i couldnt work and had been thru 2 surgeries while in severe  withdrawal and was going from doctor to doctor to try to figure out what happened to me.  Unfortunately i was off the lexapro for over 9 months before reinstating, so i was in pretty bad shape.

i am so grateful to have found this forum.Yet it is difficult for me to spend time here. i get very rattled. funny, because i can go to work and multitask all over the place but focusing on this really stirs up the 'bad place' i was for so many months.

thank you so much for reading my long post!

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I have now been on 0.6 lexapro compounded capsules for 5 days and doing sort of ok.  i will see if i can stabilize here awhile before decreasing and when i do i will only taper to 0.55

it seems to me that the constipation is worse on the compounded time released lexapro.  I wonder if the time released ingredients are causing me problems?  the ingredients are:
Lexapro
Microcrystalline Cellulose
Methocel E4M Premium(med viscosity)
food color

If it were me and I noticed that the .6, compounded capsules seemed to be ok, I would stick with them for a good , long while before I changed anything else.

I doubt very seriously if the above listed ingredients are causing any sort of problems, including constipation. Look on any labels of food stuff in the store and you will see Microcrystalline Cellulose

Methocel … it's actual;ly just plant- based fiber used as a filler. You might get a kick out of the fact that Citrucel , a leading powder laxative has made up of those same ingredients but of course in much higher quantities...

In my opinion it is likely the uneven dosing, going back and forth with delivery systems ( tablets, liquid, capsules & even generic ) are causing you some problems and that now hopefully the .6 capsules will help settle things down.

Maybe all of that switching has caused some gastro problems as well… I don't know. But there are simple, healthy alternatives to help with constipation. I had significant problems while I tapered xanax & changing my diet helped a LOT and I feel better too. 

I cut out ALL processed foods ( it's easier than you might think) including bread, crackers, pasta and replaced them with potatoes & rice instead. I switched to a diet high in fiber.. eating lots of RAW vegetables, lots of fruit… at least 5 helpings a day. 

I put beans on salads and potatoes… I buy humus. I eat lots of nuts. I  make a lot of soup with chicken , beef, pork… adding vegetables like celery, carrots, peppers, potatoes etc etc… There is an endless way to get a diet high in fiber.

The EASIEST way to get bowels moving and get all that fiber in is making smoothies. Toss some ice in the bottom of a blender, add a banana, two apples, some 
orange juice, water, a flavored yogurt, and several hands full of raw kale or spinach . Blend it 'till smooth & drink. Tastes good, good for you ...

Well now I'm hungry…. NO CHRISTMAS COOKIES or refined sugar… stick with honey.  Good luck and I really hope that sticking with the capsules and changing your diet ( oh yeah….. WALK….) will take care of you. 

Congrats on getting that Lexapro down. That is very, very awesome.  You'll figure it out… and good for you to keep on the job… also very admirable. A little constipation? pshawwww…. that's peanuts . Oh. Eat peanuts…any nuts...

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

Magnesium glycinate and drinking a good amount of water can relieve constipation.

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum for suggestions about ways to deal with other symptoms.

Thanks RU!  i appreciate your response. 

i agree that the uneven dosing and various delivery systems are likely the cause of alot of my ups and downs. interesting what you said about the ingredients.  The pharmacist says that what he has made for me is time released so i thought one of the ingredients had to do with that.

i currently and for a long time have eaten a very healthy seasonal diet. no dairy, vegetarian and fish and white meat, alot of veg's, no sugar, very little flour. so it is not diet that is causing the constipation.

what happened is that i stopped the Lexapro due to constipation and within days i started having normal bowel movements.  but after 3 months off the Lexapro i began to have very bad anxiety, reflux, burning stomach and it was all worse after bowel movements which became loose. then i had a gall bladder attack. tests showed no gallstones. i got sicker and sicker, could not eat at all. bowel movements caused me to writhe on my bed in severe chills and all the other gastro symptoms including nausea. further tests showed my GB was not functioning and i was sent to hospital to have it removed. all while i was in what i now know to be A/D withdrawal. what a nightmare..... i was skin and bones.

anyway, after several months i went back on 5 mg of Lexapro because i was out of work and practically suicidal.  slowly i began to feel a little better , enough to work. it was that or return to Canada and live with my family on disability.  gastro stuff continued but slowly the constipation returned. as did the neck pain and carpal tunnel.  i was tested for everything under the sun by a very well respected Dr. of integrative medicine who specializes in gastro issues and he found nothing wrong. he agreed that it was a motility issue caused by the Lexapro and agreed that i should taper off slowly. there are days when i think that the biliary dyskenisia was caused by the lexapro as well. but not much i can do about that now.

the thing that most affects the gastro is the lexapro. if i take less - bowels move but then gastro symptoms get worse. if i take more then constipation returns.

so here i am ~~

happy to have found this sight and getting clearer on what i have to do. you are right - i need to stay on one dose, one delivery system for awhile. then slowly taper.  it is a delicate dance right now. constipation is no fun of course but compared to where i was it is manageable. and i am so grateful!!

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

Also curious to know if anyone ever tried dr. Hinz amino acid protocol.

``

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Use search on this site for discussions of Hinz.

Magnesium glycinate and drinking a good amount of water can relieve constipation.

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum for suggestions about ways to deal with other symptoms.

Thanks Altostrata - have taken it before but higher dose and it worked but aggravated symptoms. i will try it in small dose. 25 mgs and see how it goes.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• 5 weeks later...

I have been at 0.55 mg of compounded Lexapro since 12/20/13. was dealing with constipation which seemed to worsen as i micro tapered. it's like the motility just shuts down. I tried a small dose of Mag citrate but it aggravated my stomach and symptoms.  so once again I tried probiotics. this time a soil based probiotic since others cause me alot of symptoms. it didnt really do the trick so i introduced a small amount of sauerkraut which worked but then with bowel movements, even normal ones, come all the symptoms - from anxiety to reflux, chills, depression, insomnia, vertigo, muscle tension. when i stop the fermented food the symptoms calm down.

i originally stopped the Lexapro due to constipation and severe neck/arm hand numbness and pain. all of these things went away but i had severe w/d symptoms - most were gut related. as i have said in original post, i suffered intensely, lost my gall bladder and i had a lot of tests only to find that all is ok gastro-wise and integrative medicine doc says SSRI's affected my gut motility. i was never so sensitive to probiotics or supplements of any kind before. i had a slight tendency toward  candida overgrowth which i treated by avoiding dairy, excess carbs and sugar which i still adhere to. it just amazes me that a small amount of sauerkraut or certain types of probiotics will tip me over into scary w/d symptoms again like this past week.

i think i will stay at 0.55 mg another month to see how it goes and maybe just take a very very small amount like a couple of drops of the sauerkraut juice.

i understand from alot of reading that serotonin is produced in the gut and definitely affects motility. I only hope that it will heal. for awhile i tried Dr. Hinz's neuro replete program of high doses of amino acids to restore the serotonin but my symptoms fluctuated too much on it and the cost was very high.  he seems to believe that is the only way to restore the serotonin that he says is depleted by long term use of SSRI's. That makes sense to me but I have to believe that my gut neuro system will heal.

I just wanted to post an update.

besides the above, i continue to work and am grateful that i can work from home as needed. i try to go in to the office as much as possible but am very grateful that i can work at home on difficult days. i still have trouble with doing much more than work and cooking good food and the basics. i used to do alot of music but i am having trouble getting back to creative or social activities. i do a little here and there. mostly i try not to fret about what happened over the last 2 -3 years. i guess i will come out of it stronger in many ways!

thank you for being there. this site has been a life saver for me. just knowing that i am not alone is truly a blessing!

P

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes… the gut heals. It took a good 3 months for my digestive system to become normal again. I did it as I described in an earlier post.

For me complex carbohydrates  are a killer. Or enriched, processed flour or something but if I eat saltine crackers ( like half a pack) or as I did over christmas, just plain pretzels ( 3 big handfuls) … I will be in such pain that I think I am having a gallstone attack. 

These two episodes were MONTHS apart and very similar in presentation. The body is a strange thing.

Glad that you are doing well. 

RU

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

I've found ground psyllium works well for constipation. It adds bulk. Be sure to drink plenty of water, too.

thank you both for replies!

So after stopping the probiotics and sauerkraut a few days ago i am now still having daily bowel movements, which is good. The problem is that with movement of bowels comes the symptoms - anxiety/panic, OCD, restlessness , chills and some reflux which leads to inflammation. it's as if the motility wave goes backwards after the bm. all the energy rises. when bowels slow down those sypmptoms are way low.

it was bad the last few days but a little better today.

it feels to me that it is definitely related to changes in dosage. and not really a diet issue. i am  very careful about my diet.

like when i first went off the Lexapro too quickly i was so sick gastro wise. any activity of the bowels, even digestive movement caused problems. as i said, i was tested very thoroughly for everything under the sun. and i tried very careful, simple diet. nothing helped. i kept telling doctors that it had to be related to stopping the SSRI since that is when it started. most of them looked at me like i was nuts. except one integrative med doc who specializes in gut issues. he agreed. got me on glutamine to heal the inflammation so i could finally eat again. of course by this time i was back on the Lexapro but i had been off it for about 9 months before reinstating.

so my fear is that the damage done to my gut will never heal. i know it is not true since i am in much better shape now than i was 2 yrs ago. but wow - still extremely sensitive to the lexapro and any changes. Higher dose = constipation, lower dose= no constipation but awful symptoms of reverse motility.

over the past few months i have had a lot of fluctuation of dosage. now at 0.55 for 22 days and bowels are moving. I want to stay on same dose for at least a couple months.  just keeping my fingers crossed that bowel nerves calm down. i am very frightened of going back to where i was 2 yrs ago when i couldnt eat and was in serious discomfort all the time.

i dont mind going back up to 0.6 but wondering how long i should wait? seems it took 3 weeks at 0.55 for bowels to start moving. my hope is to find a happy medium where bowels are moving and symptoms are tolerable. today so far is tolerable. yesterday was not. 

thanks for reading my tale! 

Pokeshaw

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Sounds like you are having some windows at .55mg. This is a good sign.

It does sound like your bowel nerves are sensitized -- but getting better. Please consider a small amount of ground psyllium husk (like a half-teaspoon per day). I've found it to be very gentle.

Thanks Alto.

Yes i have definitely experienced windows. will stay at 0.55 for awhile before and reduction.  i know psyllium can be a bowel normalizer, so do you think i should take it if bowels are moving or only if constipation returns?

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

There's no guarantee but it might help normalize the motility. I'd try a tiny bit, perhaps 1/4 a teaspoon. If it doesn't feel right, quit.

• Administrator

Before you try the psyllium -- are you finding roughage makes you feel better or worse?

Hi Alto,

No issues with roughage. havent tried the psyllium.

past few days have been taking  very small amount of sauerkraut juice, like 1/8 tsp daily along with introducing 2 tablespoons plain Kefir 3 times a day.

Getting good results so far. meaning - today  had pretty normal BM with low symptoms after. will see how it goes and will keep doses very low for awhile since using probiotics and fermented foods in the past have resolved constipation but usually ended up working too well and all symptoms got aggravated especially anxiety, panic, dizziness, nausea, reflux and inflammation in stomach.

i seem to be able to tolerate the Kefir since it is basically lactose free. dairy products have been a problem for me most of my life and i generally dont eat them.

Starting my second month on compounded 0.55 mg lexapro (brand)

Will try to be patient and go SLOW!

Thank you so much for being there!

Pokeshaw

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Yes, if you have those reactions to fermented foods, you might want to minimize them. They contain something call tyramine, which can be activating.

Thank you, Alto. now i understand the headaches i was getting.  I have been keeping the fermented foods to a minimum as suggested. constipation again as i do so but will go slow and see what happens. Have been doing fairly well. holding steady at 0.55 mg compounded Lexapro. 

actually spent the whole day out yesterday and saw friends and shared some music. had a bit of a crash emotionally and then had a long subway commute home but realized i had stayed out past my limit. still tend to get overstimulated by social activity and city. luckily had today to myself and can work from home tomorrow.

Pokeshaw ~

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

actually spent the whole day out yesterday and saw friends and shared some music. had a bit of a crash emotionally and then had a long subway commute home but realized i had stayed out past my limit. still tend to get overstimulated by social activity and city. luckily had today to myself and can work from home tomorrow.

Pokeshaw ~

It is very common to "overdue" once one starts to feel better….. it is just such a relief to finally feel good. 

It's really great that you experienced this phenomenon & can adjust accordingly. 

It's just plain great that you are feeling better. I am soooo happy for you!! Nice work!! 

RU :)

Pokeshaw ~

It is very common to "overdue" once one starts to feel better….. it is just such a relief to finally feel good. 

It's really great that you experienced this phenomenon & can adjust accordingly. 

It's just plain great that you are feeling better. I am soooo happy for you!! Nice work!! 

RU :)

Thanks, RU. i so appreciate hearing from folks here. it really really helps. today was rough after overstimulation of yesterday. But compared to where i was 2 years ago at this time it is SO much better. i couldnt leave the house then without a major panic attack.  i feel hopeful these days. the windows really help me keep the faith!

Pokeshaw.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• 1 month later...

So - here is an update and a couple of questions.

i have been one month at 0.50 mg Lexapro compounded and previously i was about 6 weeks at 0.55.  up until a couple weeks ago i was still experiencing bad constipation but the last 7-10 days that is resolving. The problem with that is that with the bowel movements come all the after symptoms. my story tells the details of how bad it was when i first went off Lexapro. but mainly dizzyness, nausea, reflux, chills and Anxiety -

So now i am afraid/not sure about staying at 0.50 to see if it evens out or if i should consider either going back to 0.55 or maybe 0.525 if symptoms are too much. clearly my gut nervous system was seriously impacted by the withdrawal 2 yrs ago and will take time to heal. as i have said - i had no significant gut problems before taking Lexapro. but i am definitely experiencing alot of sensitivity and symptoms as i do this micro taper.

at this point all i am taking is the lexapro and 1000 units of vit D which i have been taking for a few months without any obvious issues.

Thanks anyone who can advise!

Pokeshaw in Bklyn

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Yes, those sound like withdrawal symptoms. Did they start about a week ago? Is there any pattern to them?

Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Hi Alto,

It is just the last couple days that the gastro symptoms have returned. once i had tapered down to 0.5 then the constipation slowly went away and now i feel like i am back where i was 2 yrs ago when i had severe symptoms after daily bowel movement.  i thought maybe it would be a good idea to go back up a bit - to 0.525 and see how that goes.

when i was at 0.55 i was still experiencing constipation. it wasnt until after about 2-3 weeks at 0.5 that bowels started to move and that was ok for a few days but now all the after symptoms are back. not as bad as 2 yrs ago but enough to scare me. it doesnt help that i seem to have alot of work stress now as well. i was dealing with it ok until this change. I have also been feeling more wired, hard to sleep this week too.

i havent tried fish oil yet. i am not sure about the magnesium. i am pretty sensitive.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I think it's up to you whether to stick it out at 0.5 or maybe go up to 0.525.  From 0.55 to 0.50 is a 9% cut, which may be too large a cut for you now. Whatever dosage you choose, stick with it without changing it for at least six weeks. You may even want to try eight weeks just to see how much of a difference the longer hold makes for you.

The description of what you're experiencing now sounds very much like your withdrawal symptoms that you have described previously.

Keep in mind that 10% is based on your current dose, so at a dose of 0.5 if your next cut is to 0.45 that will be a full 10%. You may want to consider trying a smaller percentage cut, maybe to 0.475 (5%), just to see what kind of difference that makes for you.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi Alto,

It is just the last couple days that the gastro symptoms have returned. once i had tapered down to 0.5 then the constipation slowly went away and now i feel like i am back where i was 2 yrs ago when i had severe symptoms after daily bowel movement.  i thought maybe it would be a good idea to go back up a bit - to 0.525 and see how that goes.

when i was at 0.55 i was still experiencing constipation. it wasnt until after about 2-3 weeks at 0.5 that bowels started to move and that was ok for a few days but now all the after symptoms are back. not as bad as 2 yrs ago but enough to scare me. it doesnt help that i seem to have alot of work stress now as well. i was dealing with it ok until this change. I have also been feeling more wired, hard to sleep this week too.

i havent tried fish oil yet. i am not sure about the magnesium. i am pretty sensitive.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

Also, i seem to be having trouble updating my signature. i have tried editing it down but still get a Whoops error. 750 character limit.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I use magnesium "oil", to absorb it through the skin. That might help with avoiding some gut issues, although I don't know if it will help with constipation.

I'm sorry you're suffering again--hang in there, I really think it's probably just an acute reaction to your latest cut, in which case it will resolve over time.

It's not unusual for people while tapering to sometimes have a strong reaction to a cut and to be afraid that they're going to go back to their worst times and be stuck there again. Remember that you're doing things differently now so you have every reason to expect a different outcome.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks for replying, Rhi.

I have ordered the 0.525

it will not get to me til Tues so i wont be able to start it til wed. i'll see how i do between now and then.

i still have some of the 0.55 if it gets bad but i would rather not jump around.

this is so tricky.  i've been on 0.5 for about 6 weeks and it took  almost 4 before the constipation started to lessen.  it seems that i should stay a couple of months at one dose before making any changes.

today is not good - feeling that sick all over feeling.  need a good night's sleep.

I so appreciate you being there to check in with.

P

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg