Shanti

Cannabis, marijuana, THC, or CBD to ease withdrawal symptoms

263 posts in this topic

This has been debated on a lot of WD forums, and the short answer is I don't know. The long answer is it may help some people, but it depends on how you react. All of us are sensitive,

Thank you all for your responses ...

I live in a place where medical cannibis is legal...

and I'm trying to gather all possible resources/ helpful information

BEFORE I begin my taper ...

I've been thru 3 horrible experiences with stopping AD meds over the past 15 years ...

each time my shrink just put me right back on/ various drug cocktails .... never once did any dr who prescribed these meds seem to have ANY knowledge of the withdrawal nightmare...

sorry for rambling... but honestly,

I'm scared,and the more I research , the more I question my ability to do this...

This site is a gift ... to be able to talk to people who know exactly what I'm going thru...

thanks again for being there ,

xoxo,

findingme

I am someone who had a reaction to cannibis (In a cookie) in early withdrawal.

I wouldnt risk it and would never EVER touch Cannibis again in my entire life. 

I don't believe marijuana is a silver bullet for withdrawal symptoms. Like everything else, it can make symptoms worse.

findingme, your very best bet is to do a slow taper following the advice given on this forum. It's not perfect, but it seems to me that the slow taper is the best way to minimize withdrawal symptoms, and works better than any drug or supplement for that. Do you have a thread in the Intro section? Also, please add your drug history in your sig line when you get a chance. 

You can do this. It's just going to be more involved and much slower than you probably hoped. But it can totally be done.

Does anyone know of reputable (I use that word loosely) research that has been done on this subject? I have no intention of using, however my son is trying to convince me that it would help with my symptoms. Really he is looking for a way to justify/get permission for his use. That's not going to happen either, he is 16 and it is not legal here (yet). He's bringing me studies of people using it to control seizures. While I can point out that he doesn't have seizures I'm not finding much to come back with saying that pot is "all that bad". .  

There's no evidence, even anecdotal, that marijuana consistently helps withdrawal symptoms. Some people claim it does. Others say it was harmful.

I tried it myself some time back and it scrambled me pretty badly, intensifying depersonalization and disorientation. It was not a good feeling. I would say it made my symptoms worse.

I asked a knowledgeable psychiatrist about trying medical marijuana and he advised against it. He said it causes "neurological chaos", not a good thing when you're trying to stabilize the nervous system.

Thanks Alto

I used to smoke when I was a teenager and pretty much it just numbed everything down. Dumbed everything down too. He doesn't see that yet.

Does anyone know of reputable (I use that word loosely) research that has been done on this subject? I have no intention of using, however my son is trying to convince me that it would help with my symptoms. Really he is looking for a way to justify/get permission for his use. That's not going to happen either, he is 16 and it is not legal here (yet). He's bringing me studies of people using it to control seizures. While I can point out that he doesn't have seizures I'm not finding much to come back with saying that pot is "all that bad". .  

Hello Amy, I don't know of a reputable research to tell you about, but can give you my own thoughts on using marijuana.  My husband uses it to help with his appetite after going through stage four throat cancer.  He had 35 sessions of radiation and 3 sessions of chemo.  He lost about 90 lbs during this time.  He has a lot of throat scaring from the radiation and has a tough time eating, and has no appetite to speak of.  When he smokes a little, maybe two or three puffs, it does help him want to eat, and also relaxes him.  I'm going through getting off of Pristiq by switching to Effexor.   I have months to go as I am cutting down a half tablet at a time. My WD symptoms are extreme tinnitus, vision problems, headaches and not being able to sleep well.  I decided to try a little marijuana like my husband does, using only 1 or 2 puffs, and have found that it does help me to be able to relax more and the tinnitus is less noisy and bothersome.  My eyes also seem more able to focus.  I believe that using it in very small amounts like my husband and I do has helped us both. I don't ever feel "high" or not able to function, just relaxed.  I think most people who use it, use it to get really high and can't really function because of smoking to much.  I believe it is useful for some people but you must be careful about using to much.  I also use some supplements, meditation, epsom salt baths, and listen to meditation music.  Hope my comments give you another point of view.  Namaste, Littlered

Findingme, PLEASE don't resort to marijuana to get of psyc meds!  It is addictive!!!  You'd be trading one problem for another even IF it did help you, and that's a big if.  That would be like a benzo patient using alcohol to get off prescription drugs.  It doesn't even make sense to consider it.  Please consider the wisdom behind all the replies here.  I realize you're probably scared and suffering, but marijuana is not the answer. 

From longstanding personal experience, I would say marijuana incurs physical dependency much, much less often than any psychiatric drug.

I don't want to or plan on using marijuana. My youngest is trying to convince me to use. He says he thinks it will help. I am hoping to find a way/ways to show him that pot is not completely "harmless". For me I have to agree with Ellen, I believe that I would just be trading one addiction for another. I used way to much as a teen to believe that I wouldn't fall into that pattern of using to escape everything. 

I found that it did help the ease of nausea and cured boredom during WD but it then turned into paranoia and anxiety. Also I thought " I am trying to get healthy yet I am sabotaging my lungs it didn't make sense. One joint is the equivalent to a lot of cigs. Health is wealth. Stay clean :)

I've read about medical marijuana and that it helps psychological disorders with very small amounts. but in bigger amounts it actually has the opposite effect, of making things worse. I'm kind of curious about medical marijuana (not smoking pot). maybe something for future, when I have exhausted other options.

I won't touch the stuff at moment but when my brains healthy again i no doubt will do again, as for me it is not a medicine but just a bit of relaxing the brain for a night..

I hate smoking and hate how it is hard to measure how much your having when eating or the strength of the weed, so i make cannabis capsules. One will give you a very mild high and two if i want to get a properly high, the key is you know exactly what your getting and can control it.

It's just 7 grams of coconut oil (very good for you) and 1.5 grams of mulled bud (makes about 12 capsules) put in an egg cup in the slow cooker for two hours. Then use a syringe to put the oil in some jel capsules (great to use these for something better than sorting out your med doses for once) 

Weeds funny because most of the time i'm just way to scared to use it just encase it enhances my anxiety or something, but when i finally do i wonder why i was so worried and feel great.

It's pretty interesting seeing how attitudes vary about this subject from person to person and from geographic area to geographic area.

In the US we finally have a bit of movement towards legalization or at least decriminalization. I was visiting my kids in Washington state this past weekend. Voters approved legalization there a while back, but the state still has not finalized the system of licensure, etc. I keep hearing there will be stores opening soon, but nothing much seems to be happening yet.

Except this: everyone who was in prison for marijuana only, in the state, has been released. I was so happy to hear that!

I personally would like to hear peoples' experiences about cannabinoids if they have medical access and have found them helpful in withdrawal. I wonder if the more sedative cannibinoid compounds (not the THC or the ones that make you "high") might be medicinally useful or helpful in withdrawal.  Just curious, really. It's not something that most people have legal access to, and there are so many unknowns, I certainly wouldn't recommend trying it for withdrawal at this point.

In the UK cannabis was decriminalised some years ago but it didn't last and it became illegal again.

I can't remember the details because it didn't affect me, but a family member was using it for medicinal

reasons following a car accident and it enabled him to keep working.  He grew 2 plants while it was

decriminalised but was rumbled when it was recriminalised and he was prosecuted. 

He tried to get the medical version from the doctor but it was only passed for use with MS. 

I wonder how much influence big pharma has in all this?  They wouldn't want anyone using something

easily available when they could become addicted to their toxic drugs for a lifetime! 

Merged similar topics

While reading through introduction threads I've been noticing people casually mentioning cannabis use. This may be contributing to increased symptoms.  Even though, in some people it may temporarily reduce withdrawal symptoms, its still a powerful psychoactive substance and not recommended for a person who is tapering, experiencing antidepressant withdrawal and possible nervous system destabilization.

Marijuana adds more confusion (literally and figuratively) to the neurological situation. It also has a very long half life. If you have a bad reaction, it could go on for a day or so.

There's no evidence, even anecdotal, that marijuana consistently helps withdrawal symptoms. Some people claim it does. Others say it was harmful.

I tried it myself some time back and it scrambled me pretty badly, intensifying depersonalization and disorientation. It was not a good feeling. I would say it made my symptoms worse.

I asked a knowledgeable psychiatrist about trying medical marijuana and he advised against it. He said it causes "neurological chaos", not a good thing when you're trying to stabilize the nervous system.

"THC has been shown to increase the release of dopamine from the nucleus accumbens and prefrontal cortex. This effect, which is common to many drugs of misuse (including heroin, cocaine, amphetamine and nicotine), may be the basis of its reinforcing properties and its recreational use. It is reversed by naloxone, suggesting an opioid link.

Cannabis affects almost every body system. It combines many of the properties of alcohol, tranquillisers, opiates and hallucinogens; it is anxiolytic, sedative, analgesic, psychedelic; it stimulates appetite and has many systemic effects.

Once absorbed, THC and other cannabinoids are rapidly distributed to all other tissues at rates dependent on the blood flow. Because they are extremely lipid soluble, cannabinoids accumulate in fatty tissues, reaching peak concentrations in 4-5 days. They are then slowly released back into other body compartments, including the brain. Because of the sequestration in fat, the tissue elimination half-life of THC is about 7 days, and complete elimination of a single dose may take up to 30 days. Clearly, with repeated dosage, high levels of cannabinoids can accumulate in the body and continue to reach the brain. Within the brain, THC and other cannabinoids are differentially distributed. High concentrations are reached in neocortical, limbic, sensory and motor areas.

Cannabinoids are metabolised in the liver. A major metabolite is 11-hydroxy-THC which is possibly more potent than THC itself and may be responsible for some of the effects of cannabis. More than 20 other metabolites are known, some of which are psychoactive and all of which have long half-lives of several days."

Pharmacology and effects of cannabis: a brief review

"Cannabinoids exert various physiological effects by interacting with specific cannabinoid receptors (CB receptors) present in the brain and periphery....

...There is an endogenous system of cannabinoid receptors and anandamides, which normally modulate neuronal activity by its effect on cyclic-AMP dynamics and transport of Ca+ + and K+ ions. Although the physiological implications of these ligand-receptor interactions are not completely understood, it is suggested to be connected with opioids, GABAergic, dopaminergic, noradrenergic, serotonergic, cholinergic, glucocorticoid and prostaglandin systems. The many effects of exogenous cannabinoids derived from cannabis result from perturbation of this complex system, but the exact mechanism is not clear."

Chemistry, Metabolism, and Toxicology of Cannabis: Clinical Implications

.....He said it causes "neurological chaos", not a good thing when you're trying to stabilize the nervous system.

what Petu said

i had one of my cannabis capsules a couple weeks ago, it was great for relieving the symptoms and helped me sleep.

I definitely would not recommend it though as even though it relieved my symptoms, it put my mind set all out of whack and i ended up with what felt like a huge step backward in the getting better process.

If anyone was going to ignore everyone's advice i would say smoke or have a capsule. Its too hard to tell how much your having with hash food and it's in your body for a long time afterward. :lol: I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than cannabis cookies while trying to tapper off anti depressants. There's a big difference between one puff of a joint and having your brains turned to mush with a cookie.

I think that strain they grow in america with just cbd and no thc(stuff that gets you high) might be something specia thoughl... could even be the answer ya never know, i'll leave that up to the scientists for now

Yes, I've wondered about the possible uses for other cannabinoids like CBD (and there are others, I think there are a lot of them). But the research isn't there, so anyone who experiments is their own guinea pig. And I suspect that once the research begins to be done it will be taken over by Big Pharma, so the data will be manipulated and the studies will be slanted and if they don't like the results they're getting they will stop the studies and bury the results, just like they do with the other drugs they develop. 

I have a concern about this thread, though. Although we don't recommend cannabis in withdrawal, I would like to be cautious about sounding judgmental about cannabis use in general. I would like for participants in this forum to still feel safe to talk about their use, if they use it or have used it in the past, without feeling that they're going to be criticized or made wrong for it.

There is so much controversy about marijuana in general, from people who consider it to be an evil drug to people who consider it to be a harmless pleasure to people who consider it to be a miracle healer. Wherever you fall on this spectrum, please respect the feelings of others. You may be certain that you're correct, but from what I can see of what is coming out of the various studies and data on the subject, there are pluses and minuses both and the jury is far from in at this point.

I would like for people to be able to be comfortable sharing about both good and bad experiences with cannabis, and neutral ones for that matter, on this forum. If anyone does experiment with CBD or anything else, I would like them to feel comfortable sharing that information and their experiences with us here, whatever those experiences may be.

The problem with studies is that you can cook a study to say anything, I have come to believe. It is hard to believe we will see really big expensive studies like we see in the antidepressants because marijuana is a plant that can not be patented.

As for my opinion regarding the marijuana buzz, I used to really enjoy it before the psych meds. I even think it could help with some symptoms of w/d possibly but I think its got a lot of downsides beyond adverse reactions.

And more generally I support the legalization to a degree because the people that smoke it will at least be able to grow their own plants because right now a big problem w. pot is that is grown often by completely shady groups who are using terribly toxic fertizilers and pesticides and they do not care at all about the end buyers health. On the flip side I also respect the cowboy element who fights the man to make a living w. marijuana and it will be sad to me when phillip morris is harvesting pot on plantations in SC. Plus I've been to jail and rehab and there aren't that many pot smokers in prison (for smoking pot) or at least I've not known any here in Texas. So the issue is a push for me with positives to legalization and positives to keeping things the way they are.

Keep in mind that a trip to ovenight jail in acute w/d is NOT A FUN experience. This is reason plenty for me to avoid carrying marijuana in places where it is illegal to have on one's person.

I personally have no plans to consume marijuana from here.

And more generally I support the legalization to a degree because the people that smoke it will at least be able to grow their own plants because right now a big problem w. pot is that is grown often by completely shady groups who are using terribly toxic fertizilers and pesticides and they do not care at all about the end buyers health. On the flip side I also respect the cowboy element who fights the man to make a living w. marijuana and it will be sad to me when phillip morris is harvesting pot on plantations in SC. Plus I've been to jail and rehab and there aren't that many pot smokers in prison (for smoking pot) or at least I've not known any here in Texas. So the issue is a push for me with positives to legalization and positives to keeping things the way they are.

Yeah the laws surrounding pot in my country are ridiculous. They have been selling this legal synthetic pot here which is much much worse and 100 times more addictive. It has been ruining peoples lives. and they still won't even consider ​decriminalizing real cannabis 

Yeah the laws surrounding pot in my country are ridiculous. They have been selling this legal synthetic pot here which is much much worse and 100 times more addictive. It has been ruining peoples lives. and they still won't even consider ​decriminalizing real cannabis 

I have no doubt that synthetic pot -- and I don't have any clue what it might contain -- no doubt at all that this is far more dangerous than actual pot.

And furthermore people who manufacture knockoff drugs to sell in head shops are literally some of the most predatory people in the world. When I was a drug abuser the 'bath salts' werent around, thank god. The bath salts caused so much damage to so many people who fooled themselves by saying hey, it's legal!

At this point in history the 'legality' of the anything is less relevant than ever to the things value or safety, IMO.

I have have been using using legal medical cannabis oil for WD symptoms.

It is very high in the compound CBD (cannabinoids) which soothes anxiety

and very low in THC which gets you high. After a very low dose (one drop)

I've found my high anxiety goes away, my mind stops spinning dark thoughts,

and I feel calm and grounded.

I'm not aware of feeling stoned. Just calm.

It also helps me get back to sleep when I wake around 3 am.

I tried it a couple months ago , and although the high itself was okay , the next day i got hit with a really bad wave. Plus a setback of earlier symptoms. I tried it a second time , and the same thing happened. So for me smoking cannabis is a big NO. I even threw my stash away , something i would never do before withdrawal.

I also smoked a couple of times last year , and then i didn't had such a bad reaction the day after.

So i think it is because my nervous system is way more sensitive right now, i have such bad reactions the day after.

I really wouldn't do it if you have a very sensitive nervous system..

Shamaan,I am not talking about smoking marijuana. My guess is you would have an entirely different experience

from medical cannibus oil formulated to have high CBD and very low THC.

As I said above, it does not get you high. It's just calming.

There are likely a number of factors at play when using street-bought cannabis. One is, you know nothing about what chemicals have been used in growing. Another is you have no idea what might have been added to it. I believe intention in using it is an important factor. When I've used it in very small amounts over the past 2 years (infrequently too), my goal has not been to get high...but to help mitigate the symptoms. It's not something I would recommend to anyone else, because I think there are also many potential risks.

Medical cannabis, especially formulated for treating specific symptoms is entirely different than smoking what is bought on the street. Most pot these days has extremely high THC...which most likely is not beneficial for a sensitized nervous system...

I'm still working on how I can gain access to medical cannabis. The cannabis I currently use is purchased through a friend. The grower does not use chemicals...but I don't feel it is the best possible choice for symptoms I'd want to treat (pain mostly). I'm not looking for the high that most people are, but more the sense of calm that Indigo describes.

Freespirit, the place where I get my cannabis oil has been treating pain very successfully

for decades. They grow all their own and it's all organic. Wish you had access to this.

Indigo,

I just found out there's a local shop that purchases only organic cannabis. I contacted them to get more information as to what they need from me. On their website, it says that bringing in your medical records will suffice..even without a doctor's prescription. That sounds good, but I want to know if they are just going to look at my records or expect to keep them. I'm wary of just handing out my medical history. I haven't heard back yet. I also found there's a compassion group on the mainland, where I could use a note from my naturopath...but it would mean traveling over there each time I wanted to purchase..which is both expensive and a long trip. But at least I feel as though there could be some possibilities.

Miraculous short term results here in kids with intractable epilepsy........just the cannabais part.  So it must work like an anti-seizure somehow.  I mean I am still on a little bit of Trileptal......and maybe it does keep me calmer about this all????

The THC part though is probably the biggest risk.

So I feel like I should weigh in on this subject, because I have a very real (and very painful) experience with trying to use marijuana to help "escape" from my miserable WD symptoms.  I was 10 months out, and WELL on my way to recovery.  I was writing competetively again, and feeling well sexually, my memory was returnign in bouts, and I felt like I'd be fully recovered within a year or so.  Then one night my colleagues invited me to a party, where people just so happened to be smoking marijuana.  As it turns out, I smoked some of that pot, and become disoriented after the first hit.  Consequently, I smoked wayyyy too much the next 2 hits (my colleague later indicated that he never saw someone take as big a hit as I took).  After that mega hit (which I honest to god thought wasn't very large) I immediately started having a panic attack, and unfortunately because of my fear of drinking and doing benzos, this panic attack continued to last for the better part of 12 hours or so. 

I'm not sure if anyone here has ever had a TWELVE hour long panic attack or not, but I didn't even know that much adrenaline existed in my adrenal glands.  I'm not someone who's ever had a panic attack before, but it just kept going and going and going, like one of those rollercoasters you don't like the minute you step on, but it just keeps going and going and going.  I spent the better part of that night laying in a half full bath tub, forcing myself to vomit (to try to get the parasympathetic nervous system activated), and then laying in that vomit water in an attempt to calm down. 

The next morning, after the terror had subsided, I was so utterly disoriented, weak, and numb, that I seriously felt like I'd never recover.  Suicide was on my mind quite a bit.  To my chagrin, I didn't just fall asleep the next night, but I stayed up, dreamless, in a shallow anxiety state, feeling worse than I ever have in my entire life.  This didn't really get much better the next night either.  I had terrible terrible anxiety for WEEKS afterwards, dry mouth so bad I couldn't eat, no appetite, no ability to calm myself down - everything in the world seemed foreign, twisted, evil, and sinister.  Dealing with these effects would have been hard enough for even the strongest of people, but in addition to these pot-induced psycological issues, I now found myself with severely worsened SSRI withdrawal symptoms - worse than they had ever been.

I knew that I had made a very profound mistake.

---

To make a long, long, painful (but interesting and meaningful) story short, the recovery timeline went something like this (time since smoking pot):

-45 days NO sleep whatsoever, just constant shallow thoughts and anxiety, quite psycotic

after about 60 days I started to get some sleep here and there (4 hours a night or so), major panic attacks

-90 days - still very anxious, severely depersonalized, miniature panic attacks every day

-6 months - able to get 8 hours of sleep every night, symptoms started to get better, but life was still a living hell. 

-9 months - panic attacks stopped, DP/DR got much better, but I still had a LITANY of lingering symptoms that made my life awful

-12 months - haven't had a panic attack for a long time, DP/DR continues to improve, sleep 8+ hours a night most nights, still a long list of lingering issues.  Virtually no psychotic like symptoms.

-14 months - Still pretty messed up physically - lots of pain, tingling numbness, etc that was not there before I smoked the pot.  Memory still worse than before the marijuana.  Not much anxiety these days, but I still have many of the symptoms I listed in my "introduction thread".

----

This might sound outlandish, but I'm a very real person who has been suffering from a bad reaction to an SSRI for about 2 years now.  The marijuana I smoked was too strong too quick and my nervous system went completely chaotic and I STILL (14 months and counting) haven't even gotten back to where I was before I smoked the pot. 

The pain and suffering I've endured because of my terrible decision to smoke pot on May 4th (How could I forget it?) is almost completely unimaginable.  I honestly did not realize how much pain and suffering a human being could endure until I went through what I did over the past year.  I'm still in it too, that's the not so happy ending to this story - but I'm MUCH improved, and on my way to recovery.

Just to add to my above post, I would like to add a couple more things.

If you INSIST on smoking pot be very careful about your dosage.  That's all I can say.  VERY careful.  Have someone monitor the dosage for you - because when you smoke one hit, you become unaware of how much you're smoking on the next hit, meaning you can take in WAYYY too much pot all at once and overdose, and end up like I was.  There's no way to tell when a sensitive nervous system has had "too much" pot, so I'm not sure what to recommend here - maybe just one hit and see how you do for the rest of the night.

Unfortunately, there's no quick fix or magic bullet that's going to somehow make SSRI WD less miserable, at least not one that I've found.  Marijuana isn't going to do much for you, the high only lasts for a few hours, then you're left with the chemical in your bloodstream for the next month or so.  One can build tolerance to pot quite quickly, which requires more and more to get the same effect.  People claim pot isn't habit forming, but that's nonsense.  Sure, it's not AS habit forming as something like opiods or benzos, but an experienced pot smoker will tell you that if you smoke 2 days in a row, the second high isn't going to be as strong.  It might not be very addicting, but marijuana is definitely causing changes to occur in your brain.  Moreover, it's quit common to get depersonalization disorder from smoking pot or ingesting pot, or THC, and considering that most of us already suffer from this disorder, marijuana may make things worse.  In my case it sure did.

This isn't meant to scare anyone, well maybe it is a little - a little healthy fear.  The point was mostly just to share my experience, and thoughts on the subject.  I don't know if what happened to me will happen to you, but if there's a chance my story can help someone out there, I think that it's important to provide this information in that case.

Oh, and if you're already someone who smokes pot and hasn't had much of an effect, well neither did I.  I had ingested a pot brownie and found it to be quite helpful for my WD symptoms, WHILE I was high.  That was about 2 months prior to my smoking pot.  It was such a good experience that I wanted to get more brownies and just use that to make the weekends go by quicker.  So 2 months later, when I was offered to smoke pot, I thought "oh boy, this is great, I'll feel good again and make the weekend go by quickly".  Wrong.  Same person, same chemical, WILDLY different reaction.

As for other chemicals, I drank very heavily one night early on in my WD process, and I ended up more or less messed up for about a month or so.  I also had a bad reaction to clonozepam, which messed me up for about 2 weeks or so.  Those reactions PALED in comparison to smoking pot.

Best bet:  avoid all drugs.  There's no escape.  No quick fix.  Drugs are bad, and make WD much more difficult.

I'm not saying this is going to happen to you - but it could.  I figure that SA should be aware that at least ONE person has experienced a horribly profound reaction to marijuana, that made my WD symptoms like 10X worse for a long time.

Love and hugs.

oskcajga, that doesnt sound outlandish, but is some truly heavy s***.  ive read about several experiences like that online before i considered trying it for myself years back, and the notion has stayed with me.  for myself, in withdrawal states, ive found that one big hit can do more damage (short or long term upset) than smaller successive hits---your giant hit was the maximum possible damage there, probably...just 2-3 seconds is enough time for your system to adjust a bit before further chemical inundation.

before i was in withdrawal, i took in way too much at once (more than ever before in my life, probably, of the strongest weed i had ever smoked and kept around because i loved its high THC register)...it was a homemade rig (and also a small 4/20 observance in the middle of the night), and i went into a state i had never even encountered before then, or after to that extent.  a new dimension, like i was inside a black hole.  i had a lot of crazy psych and medication experiences in my many years of being sick, but that was a new one, and supremely terrifying...it was beyond the experience of panic attacks or fear states or anything like that---it was a new dimension that was basically like a portal to hell.  and i was telling my friends that i was trying to keep myself closer to this end of it instead of letting my mind get sucked down into the vortex, because, whatever was there, i didnt have any confidence i could ever return.  it subsumed my entire field of vision, thought processes, emotions, and memory...essentially a spiritual experience except that the environment was utterly acidic.  it might have just been my own psyche---i was rather self-loathing in those days; maladaptive.

your statements should definitely give some notion of gravity to the people who would take withdrawal smoking casually, though i dont usually read of that anywhere on here.  i also wanted to say, i can definitely relate to a 12 hour long panic attack.  i had a 72 hour long (three solid days, my longest ever before withdrawal) because of geodon, an antipsychotic.  after like a day or two, i wrote my psychiatrist an emergency email.  he said NOT to reduce the dose, and to KEEP TAKING the medication.  lunacy.  i had a fit of laughing for 30 minutes---no pauses whatsoever.  i nearly passed out and my muscles were sore for days and days because of the contractions involved...the hardest and most ceaseless fit ive ever experienced.  i might have vomited, i dont even know anymore.  i had a 2-3 week long panic attack in the first few months of total withdrawal, but i had little rest periods in there (a few minutes a day, if i was lucky) so it wasnt the same as 72 straight hours of pounding.

drinking can also be a problem for me (tolerance got tanked in withdrawal, even before i tapered off the last few meds).  and i agree that its important to note that weed can cause the same kind of neurological dependency as antidepressants.  it has fewer side effects and greater benefits for many individuals, but it is a psychotropic substance---just like psych meds in that it musses around in our brains, and continual use does create a physical or even psychological dependency in people.  it can be very mild for some, but i had a friend who smoked at least once pretty much every day for a good many months (for anxiety and depression), and she had a debilitating withdrawal reaction when she was unable to get any for a few days.  she got really sick, and didnt previously know that it was addicting in that sense, but anything modulating your internal chemistry on a continual basis is bound to be capable of that.

i rarely smoke these days, as i rarely see the risk as being justified since it can touch off a less than ideal reaction that i cant always predict the potential for (and thus just avoid if i can).  but i do try to cope with the dystonia, dopamine crashing, or other symptoms with it on occasion, and it works like nothing else has for me (supplements, psych meds, foods, exercise, rest, etc).

------------------------

as for the other posts...scientists dont yet understand the architecture behind seizures, but some strains of weed have shown to help stave off or reduce the severity of many peoples seizures.  its a lot like the situation with 'belligerent' autistic kids.  i figure that most neurological issues are somewhat related, and since weed is a very multi-focal drug, it can influence the healing of a variety of situations.

hash oil can be created at home, though its a bit labor-intensive and also requires at least one small specialized item.  it can be a little complicated to refine properly, and youd still need CBD-predominate bud to start off with, and so i dont imagine its necessarily an option in limiting circumstances.  i also dont want to suggest potentially illegal ventures or procuring of paraphernalia in bulgaria.

weed couldnt really be patented (im not sure if new hybrid formulae can be---maybe only methodology), and thats part of why prohibition began in america after weed was legal for such a long time: there are ties to lobbying against the competition of hemps industrial applications (nothing to do with smoking) in addition to the temperance movement type ideology.

there are CBD-only pills available clinically in some places, but that is not really the same as a CBD-heavy or "CBD-only" marijuana dose.  isolating the CBD both reduces its effectiveness and also its reach---so you can minimize some of the potential side effects, but at the cost of efficacy or thoroughness.  isolating it can also have formerly unseen effects, positive or negative, because thats taking a fish out of water, essentially.

"synthetic marijuana" is basically satan and i dont advise even healthy recreational drug-lovers to try it.  terrible ingredients, terrible reactions, and also nothing like pot at all.  it was basically just marketed that way to fill a void created by the legal system, kind of like other dangerous drug switch-ups we observe when enforcement cracks down (or the boon in street sales of prescription medications---the legalized forms of generally illicit substances like amphetamines, opioids, etc).

so far as i understand, most pot-related incarcerations are due to the person holding over a certain amount (a lot of legislation revolves around escalating weight categories), or having paraphernalia around that can get them nailed as distributors, or crossing boundaries (like state or county lines, school zones, whatnot) with personal stashes or the aforementioned suspicious, framed, or truly entrepreneurial setups.  our jails are so full that we are releasing many small-time offenders, and some cops will let a small pot violation go if you arent being a d*** about it (though my experiences largely revolve around medical-legal states, and some areas are WAY less tolerant, in america and abroad).  sometimes they wont even confiscate what you have, though some are in a position of legal obligation they intend to uphold due to personal or social accountability.  pot-related stuff is a common add-on charge to make sentences more severe (or more likely), or to try to get otherwise uninteresting criminals off the streets for a while, so that is much more common than a marijuana-centric rap sheet in convicts not running a serious grow, transport, or sale operation.  they (the feds) really like to jail the medical marijuana doctors and cooperative managers when they attract more than just a small clientele, though, regardless of their level of legitimacy...  obama said hed be hands-off, but has the pattern of waffling on his hardline issues (not a political statement, just a relevant point, and largely a product of a multi-party system of government).

theres a nice variety of discussion in here; im glad people are hitting so many different angles of the issue, and sharing their positive and negative stories.  i guess i had unfollowed this, so...pardon the catch-up.

Just to repeat . . again. . smoking marijuana at a party is not the same as being prescribed a measured dose of organic cannabis oil from a cannabis strain specifically developed for soothing anxiety by a legitimate medical marijuana collective that has been administering to sick people for decades. Frightening people away from trying this cannabis oil to sooth WD symptoms by telling  horror stories about smoking too much pot (from who knows where) at a party is not helpful.

Shamaan,I am not talking about smoking marijuana. My guess is you would have an entirely different experience

from medical cannibus oil formulated to have high CBD and very low THC.

As I said above, it does not get you high. It's just calming.

yeah i was talking about smoking. Never tried an oil , but i wouldn't do it either at this moment. It is still cannabis , and much more than solely THC and CBD. It has a lot of other cannabinoids in it too. So for me , too big of a risk..

Just to repeat . . again. . smoking marijuana at a party is not the same as being prescribed a measured dose of organic cannabis oil from a cannabis strain specifically developed for soothing anxiety by a legitimate medical marijuana collective that has been administering to sick people for decades. Frightening people away from trying this cannabis oil to sooth WD symptoms by telling  horror stories about smoking too much pot (from who knows where) at a party is not helpful.

Obviously these are not the same things, and no one claimed for them to be the same things.  I do think that taking drugs to alleviate withdrawal symptoms carries risks, however, especially if you're someone who's hypersensitive to medication.  The oil might be worthwhile to try, so long as it's carefully supervised and at a low dose.

Alto mentions it in her posts from time to time, that when trying supplements or drugs to help alleviate withdrawal symptoms, start at a very low dose.  This is very good advice.