If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Cannabis, THC or marijuana to ease withdrawal symptoms

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#253 Pzen

Pzen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

Day 36: Not much anxiety today, and not much of an achy body. A little bit of tingling here and there, but nothing major.

Started Sertralin the spring of -13 and got up to 150 mgs (which was a mistake by my GP)

Decided to taper it form 150 mgs in sep -13 by reducing the dosage by 12.5 mgs every other week.

Got off Sertraline in Feb -14 and started noticing withdrawal after about 15 days off the meds.

Still experiencing withdrawal after 2 years and 5 months off the medicine.

#254 mickde1

mickde1

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationQueensland , Australia

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Hi i'm interested to know if there's been anyone having recent  success  with using CBD  for alleviating acute antidepressants withdrawals 

16 years of  Prozac 80mg & Moclobemide 150 mg  per day cut down to lower Prozac dose then changes to Paroxetine change to a Mirtazapine  change to Brintellix  changed to Edronax   all of low doses over a year or so i was  suffering withdrawals from the initial meds, Psychiatrist said the doses  weren't therapeutic, stopped 14 december 2015 

#255 myndfull

myndfull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, USA

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

mickde 1 -- Yes, I've used CBD for about three years with some success. THC, too.

CBD is great for high anxiety. It lowers its ceiling. It brings you down, closer to normal.

Finding the right dosage can be a problem. Twenty milliliters is about what I need.

I use a vapor pen usually (legal where I live--California), and I also use a Tootsie Roll-like candy that has a high dose of CBD, with an even higher dose of THC (Cheeba Chews -- 20 mg CBD/50 mg THC). That can be very helpful, but I have a tolerance for THC. Anyone new to THC should probably start very low.

THC = "happy." CBD = "sane." If you can find the right balance, they can bring a lot of relief to both anxiety (CBD) and depression (THC). THC sometimes can lead to feelings of paranoia. If you're feeling very anxious you shouldn't take any THC; it can make things worse.

THC and CBD work very well together. CBD alone is helpful, but less so, I think, than a combination of the two. The side effects of THC, of course, are that you get stoned. Very low dosing of THC can be very helpful.

8/20/14 Began withdrawal from Celexa -- from 20 miligrams

[...] Monthly drops

12/20/14 -- Dropped from 6.4 mL to 5.8 mL; 9% decrease.

01/23/15 -- Dropped from 5.8 mL to 5.2 mL; 10% decrease.

02/25/15 -- Dropped from 5.8 mL to 4.8 mL; 8% decrease.

03/24/15 -- Dropped from 4.8 mL to 4.4 mL; 8% decrease.

04/23/15 -- Dropped from 4.4 mL to 4.0 mL; 9% decrease.

05/23/15 -- Dropped from 4.0 mL to 3.6 mL; 10% decrease.

06/23/15 -- Dropped from 3.6 mL to 3.2 mL; 11% decrease. (Note: Somehow during this month I became confused about the actual amount on the syringe I'm using that I should drop; for part of this period I was taking 3.4 mL. So for July [see below] I dropped from 3.4 mL and not from 3.2 mL.)

07/23/15 -- Dropped from 3.4 mL to 3.0 mL; 12% decrease. (See "Note" above. As a result of my mixup in dosages, I'm currently [08/12/15] suffering some withdrawal symptoms: mostly a mild malaise, low-level depresssion.) Will probably stabilise at 3.0 for a bit longer than a month. Twelve percent was too precipitous a drop. Will continue with drops under 10%.

09/15/15 -- Dropped from 3.0 mL to 2.8 ml; ~ 7% drop.

#256 myndfull

myndfull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, USA

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Jerome, in response 209, quotes something "questionable" he found in a post that I made. I wrote that smoking medical marijuana is the best way to ingest it. Here's Jerome's quote:

"There seems to be a lot of questionable information [in this thread]. Here is the first example I noticed; I believe it's from post 190, by myndfull: 'Smoking MMJ is the best way to ingest it. A study out of UC San Diego convincingly shows that cannabis smoke is not carcinogenic.' I won't bother to refute that."

By "best" I meant (and mean) that smoking (1) has a very quick absorption rate; (2) doesn't cause cancer/kill you; (3) has more medicinal benefits than vaporization or digestion (look up "the entourage effect" in the context of medicinal cannabis use, especially in regard to the the presence of cbd in the smoked herb). The only thing questionable in my post was that the study I was referring to was not conduced at U. C. San Diego, but at U.C.L.A. The study I was referring to is called "Effects of Marijuana Smoking on the Lung," conducted by Donald P. Tashkin. Here's the link:

http://www.atsjourna...TS.201212-127FR

Here's Prof. Tashkin's abstract:

"Regular smoking of marijuana by itself causes visible and microscopic injury to the large airways that is consistently associated with an increased likelihood of symptoms of chronic bronchitis that subside after cessation of use. On the other hand, habitual use of marijuana alone does not appear to lead to significant abnormalities in lung function when assessed either cross-sectionally or longitudinally, except for possible increases in lung volumes and modest increases in airway resistance of unclear clinical significance. Therefore, no clear link to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease has been established. Although marijuana smoke contains a number of carcinogens and cocarcinogens, findings from a limited number of well-designed epidemiological studies do not suggest an increased risk for the development of either lung or upper airway cancer from light or moderate use, although evidence is mixed concerning possible carcinogenic risks of heavy, long-term use. Although regular marijuana smoking leads to bronchial epithelial ciliary loss and impairs the microbicidal function of alveolar macrophages, evidence is inconclusive regarding possible associated risks for lower respiratory tract infection. Several case reports have implicated marijuana smoking as an etiologic factor in pneumothorax/pneumomediastinum and bullous lung disease, although evidence of a possible causal link from epidemiologic studies is lacking. In summary, the accumulated weight of evidence implies far lower risks for pulmonary complications of even regular heavy use of marijuana compared with the grave pulmonary consequences of tobacco."

Here are a few links that provide more general information on this subject. Some of it is more subjective than Prof. Tashkin's work:

http://healthland.ti...ancer-or-death/

https://health.ucsd....-sclerosis.aspx

https://www.scientif...ifically-valid/

8/20/14 Began withdrawal from Celexa -- from 20 miligrams

[...] Monthly drops

12/20/14 -- Dropped from 6.4 mL to 5.8 mL; 9% decrease.

01/23/15 -- Dropped from 5.8 mL to 5.2 mL; 10% decrease.

02/25/15 -- Dropped from 5.8 mL to 4.8 mL; 8% decrease.

03/24/15 -- Dropped from 4.8 mL to 4.4 mL; 8% decrease.

04/23/15 -- Dropped from 4.4 mL to 4.0 mL; 9% decrease.

05/23/15 -- Dropped from 4.0 mL to 3.6 mL; 10% decrease.

06/23/15 -- Dropped from 3.6 mL to 3.2 mL; 11% decrease. (Note: Somehow during this month I became confused about the actual amount on the syringe I'm using that I should drop; for part of this period I was taking 3.4 mL. So for July [see below] I dropped from 3.4 mL and not from 3.2 mL.)

07/23/15 -- Dropped from 3.4 mL to 3.0 mL; 12% decrease. (See "Note" above. As a result of my mixup in dosages, I'm currently [08/12/15] suffering some withdrawal symptoms: mostly a mild malaise, low-level depresssion.) Will probably stabilise at 3.0 for a bit longer than a month. Twelve percent was too precipitous a drop. Will continue with drops under 10%.

09/15/15 -- Dropped from 3.0 mL to 2.8 ml; ~ 7% drop.

#257 flatrock

flatrock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationFlat Rock, MI

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

My two cents' worth...

I've had my medical marijuana card for about 4 yrs. I got it for fibromyalgia and it has been fabulous. Also, as I taper off of benzos, it is useful for side effects.

I just want to say that edibles give the deepest best "high" - so much better than smoking. Also, it's important to know the difference between Sativa and Indica. These are essentially the only two kinds of marijuana. Sativa is best for day time use but can cause anxiety for most people, kind of like a cup of coffee.  Indica is calming and soothing and often used for sleep. Right now I find hybrids are the most useful. As with most meds, you have to find what works for you.  I find 70%Indica/30%Sativa hybrid to feel the best right now for me.

I can scarcely feel the effect of CBDs. I know they're supposed to help with pain and anxiety - I just don't feel any difference.

I'm iffy on the idea that marijuana might be useful for coming off of ADs. Please take care with it, know what kind you're using, and keep notes. 

My overall diagnosis is fibromyalgia. I'm 63 yrs old and feeling weary!

Current: .75 Klonopin (chlonazepam), took it many years for restless legs, then increased amount for anxiety, now tapered back down. For a couple of months my psychiatrist pushed me up to 2.0 in an effort to stop tremor symptoms but it didn't help, so slowly, 1/4 pill at a time (a .5 pill), got down to .75. My psychiatrist is being supportive about my quitting Klonopin at whatever pace I'm comfortable with.

4/29/2017 was my last 1/4 pill reduction.

5/11/17: taking .25@11am, .5@11pm.  

5/20/17: TAPERING BY WEIGHT NOW:   .163g @11pm (was .166) AND .081@11am (was .083)

PREVIOUS: In August 2016, after some stressful life changes, my Klonopin use went up to about 4.0. New dr jerked me down from 4.0 to 1 mg, then grudgingly gave me 1.5 mg while awaiting psychiatrist appt. I'm still suffering from that sudden extreme withdrawal. CURRENT: Cymbalta 60mg. I'll probably be reducing this later. I use medical marijuana as needed. I take fish oil, and magnesium.