Randomguy needs some help and support

randomguy

Hi everyone,
This is the first anxiety/SSRI related site I've ever joined and am looking forward to being part of the community.

My history with anxiety is actually fairly brief.  In 2005 at age 17, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks.  One day, I really just felt like something "snapped" in my head and I had a mental breakdown.  I saw a psychologist and was recommended I take 10mg Lexapro.

Eight years later, I'm still taking it.  I've tried going off it a few times but each time I end up reinstating  after anxiety returned.  After reading thru several of the posts here and looking back, I'm guessing I really didn't taper off like I should have (I did 5mg for 2 weeks, then cold turkey each time).  Honestly I feel very blessed that my anxiety has been kept in check and that for the most part I've had a winning battle with anxiety and it hasn't affected my life too badly...up until now.

About 2 years ago, I started having chronic migraines that have been worsening.  Recently, it's been 3-4 migraines per week.  My doctor prescribed Imitrex (which works) but cautioned me about the risk of seretonin surge.  I lowered my dose to 5mg of Lexapro just to be safe and noticed my migraines dramatically decreased.  After 3 weeks at 5mg, I went off Lexapro completely and no migraines!

I thought I was in the clear and doing well...but then after 3 weeks I had a panic attack and started feeling dizzy/lightheaded a lot (which of course just fueled the way for more anxiety).  I reinstated 5mg of Lexapro and the symptoms subsided but the migraines returned after about a week back on Lexapro.

That brings me to today.  Last week I saw a psychiatrist (for the first time in 8 years) and she put me on 25mg of Zoloft.  I'm on day 3 of Zoloft and I feel terrible.  The psych had me cold turkey off the Lexapro and immediately start the Zoloft and I feel like I'm about to come unglued.  I am panicky, nauseaous to the point I really don't want to eat, and feel hyperaware and unable to concentrate on anything.  Worse yet, I only have 3 more sick days left at work and really can't take time off.

I can't tell if my feelings right now are due to withdrawal from Lexapro or the side effects of Zoloft.  I don't know whether to stop the Zoloft and go back to the Lexapro and properly wean off it or if I should follow the psych's directive and hope that the side effects go away.  I'm really struggling and just don't want my life to come crashing down around me!

-Started 10mg Lexapro in 2005

-Tried to go off in Sept 2006 - had bad heart arrhythmia when I went off and reinstated 10mg Lexapro after 2 months

-Stayed on Lexapro from Nov 2006 until April 2010 - had bad gastro-intestinal issues and reinstated 10mg Lexapro after 4 months

-Continued on Lexapro from Aug 2010 to Nov 2013 - weaned from 10mg to 0mg over 8 weeks by cutting dose in half every 2 weeks

-Currently on nothing but not doing very well - family doc prescribed Celexa, first visit to new psych prescribed Zoloft, not on either

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Randomguy, I'm sorry I can't advise on the best way forward because

I know nothing of the drugs you have been on but just wanted to say hi and welcome to SA.

Someone will be along very soon who can advise you on the best course of action to take.

You are in the right place here and I'm glad you found us . 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, Randomguy.

It is indeed possible to have withdrawal symptoms from one SSRI even though you're on another. These symptoms may go away within weeks or they may last for months or years. Your doctor should have cross-tapered the Zoloft rather than made you cold-switch from Lexapro.

What are the symptoms you have?

If they are withdrawal symptoms, reinstatement of a very small amount of Lexapro, 1mg-2mg, might make them go away. After a month or so, you can taper very slowly off the Lexapro.

Lexapro comes in a liquid form that makes this fairly easy. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to post an update here.  So I ended up taking Zoloft for only 3 days until I couldn't take the side effects any more.  I reinstated 2.5mg of Lexapro (rather than 5mg I was taking) and that resolved my withdrawals.  I've been on 2.5mg for 3 weeks now and am getting ready to reduce the dosage to 1.25mg.  For some reason every time I attempt to stop Lexapro or lower the dosage, it's always at the 3 week mark that I start to get withdrawal symptoms so I'm especially nervous now about withdrawals...almost seems like my worrying about withdrawals is worse than the actual withdrawals!  Anyways, I've had caffeine for the first time in a while for the last 3 days and it definitely seems to be causing large increases in anxiety so it's definitely something I'm going to need to stay away from.  I'm a little wary of lowering the dose after these couple days of caffeine induced anxiety but the daily migraines are also terrible...I wish I could do the liquid Lexapro and ween off 10% a month but these migraines are so bad that I feel like I sorta have to rush it.

Anyways, just wanted to give you an update.  If anyone has advice on handling Lexapro or positive stories to share, I'd love to hear it! 

-Tried to go off in Sept 2006 - had bad heart arrhythmia when I went off and reinstated 10mg Lexapro after 2 months

-Stayed on Lexapro from Nov 2006 until April 2010 - had bad gastro-intestinal issues and reinstated 10mg Lexapro after 4 months

-Continued on Lexapro from Aug 2010 to Nov 2013 - weaned from 10mg to 0mg over 8 weeks by cutting dose in half every 2 weeks

-Currently on nothing but not doing very well - family doc prescribed Celexa, first visit to new psych prescribed Zoloft, not on either

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd give the 2.5mg more time and plan a much more gradual taper, even off 2.5mg.

If they are withdrawal symptoms, reinstatement of a very small amount of Lexapro, 1mg-2mg, might make them go away. After a month or so, you can taper very slowly off the Lexapro.

Lexapro comes in a liquid form that makes this fairly easy. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a thought: Alto doesn't write long rambly posts like mine, but every word she writes counts. She's the smartest person I know (anywhere, and that includes any expert whose stuff I've read or heard) about AD withdrawal. So, just, you know, be aware that her advice is pretty much golden and not something a person wants to toss away without serious consideration.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

If I were you, I'd give the 2.5mg more time and plan a much more gradual taper, even off 2.5mg.

I wish I'd been given this advice, back in 2010 when I came off Lexapro exactly the way you are planning on doing it.  Its been over 2 years and I'm still in protracted withdrawal.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

I wish I had time to write more!

Just a thought: Alto doesn't write long rambly posts like mine, but every word she writes counts. She's the smartest person I know (anywhere, and that includes any expert whose stuff I've read or heard) about AD withdrawal. So, just, you know, be aware that her advice is pretty much golden and not something a person wants to toss away without serious consideration.

Yeah, I've seen her posts everywhere, even on other sites.  She's definitely an expert on this.

For an update, I decided to drop to 1.25mg (before I saw Altostrata's post) and have been on that for 4 or 5 days now.  The MAJOR (cannot emphasize enough) difference is no more migraines.  The main rush to get off the medicine was to be rid of daily migraines and apparently 1.25mg is low enough to not cause them.  I'm planning on staying on this 1.25mg for at least a month to make sure nothing bad happens.

Also when I dropped to 1.25mg, I started daily exercising which I'm hoping will help as well.  I feel like I'm so close to being free but know I still have a ways to go.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help.  As I mentioned above, the reason I went off Lexapro is due to daily migraines.  I finished my tapering on Nov 10th and have been off Lexapro for 2 weeks now.  For the first 10 days of no lexapro, I had no migraines at all.  It was wonderful...but now I'm getting them again.  The migraines have changed though...they're still bad headaches/migraines but the way they come on just feels different.  I'm assuming this is a common side effect?  Any idea how long it will last?  The only other symptoms I'm having is a mild-to-moderate increase in anxiety and some gastro-intestinal distress.

I keep staring at the bottles of Zoloft (that was prescibed back in October and only took for 3 days and then found this forum) and Celexa (my family doctor prescribed after Lexapro because it's similar and she thinks it might not cause migraines...haven't taken any).  Anxiety issues run thru 4 generations of my family and I worry that I'll never be ok unless I take an SSRI, but I so cannot stand headaches.  Should I try another SSRI or stick this out for a while?  I am so confused right now.  Honestly I don't feel comfortable with any of my doctors now (my old doc moved away).  I feel so lost and directionless and no idea what to do now.

• Moderator Emeritus

You were on 2.5 mg on Nov. 4th, is that correct? That's only 21 days ago. I wonder if you took it a little too fast?

Would you consider going back to maybe 1.5 mg and hold there for a good long while?

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

You were on 2.5 mg on Nov. 4th, is that correct? That's only 21 days ago. I wonder if you took it a little too fast?

Would you consider going back to maybe 1.5 mg and hold there for a good long while?

RU

No, as of Oct 31st I started on 1.25mg.  I planned to stay on 1.25mg until the end of november but unfortunately I was still getting daily migraines even at 1.25mg and couldn't take it anymore and stopped taking it on Nov 10th.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Randomguy,

I'm sorry you are suffering with these symptoms.  Its confusing as to why your headaches have returned, now that you are completely off Lexapro.  Are they as bad as before and are you getting them daily?

Did you ever get migraines before starting on an SSRI?

No one really knows how these  SSRI meds work, so I would think its possible that migraines are a side effect, but also a withdrawal symptom, as our nervous system and chemistry is struggling to re-balance.

There is another kind of medication which is sometimes prescribed to prevent migraines, you take it every day at a low dose and its supposed to reduce the frequency and severity.  It also can reduce some of the physical symptoms of anxiety.  Here is a link for some information about it:

http://www.drugs.com/inderal.html

Maybe this would temporarily enable you to go back on a low dose of Lexapro and taper slowly, without getting daily migraines.  There is no knowing how this might effect you though, now that your nervous system is destabilized from withdrawal.

I don't like suggesting another medication to deal with the side effects of a first medication, but that's the only thing I can think of, hopefully someone else will have an alternative idea.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I don't remember getting any migraines prior to taking SSRIs.  Honestly I feel like Lexapro plus some sort of migraine medicine might do the trick but unfortunately almost all migraine medicines interact with SSRI's so I feel like I'm trapped without any good options.  Right now I'm just crossing my fingers and praying the Lexapro withdrawal won't last long and that the headaches will go away then.

• Administrator

Did you go off 1.25mg all at once or did you step down?

Maybe even .25mg Lexapro would help. You'd be surprised.

I went off 1.25mg all at once.  1.25mg was the smallest dosage I could break the pills down into.  Dr. won't prescribe liquid lexapro because she doesn't see a need.  I saw there's directions on making my own liquid but I'm scared I'll mess it up or not dose it right.  I'm willing to try it if you think it's worth it.

• Administrator

I can't predict if it will be the solution. It may help, it may not. You'll have to decide if it's worth it for yourself.

I can't tell if I'm recovering or not...each day seems random.  Yesterday I had the first day since I went off Lexapro that I actually felt like myself.  I had a great day; no migraines, no anxiety, no "fog" in my brain, I truly felt good.  Then today on Thanksgiving on almost had a panic attack with my family around.  My stomach has been in knots all day and I feel mentally "disconnected" so to speak.  I was so hopeful yesterday that I was on the road to recovery and then today it came crashing down.  Should I take it as a good sign that I had a good day yesterday or not?  It just seems every morning I wake up and have no idea whether my day will be pain filled, anxiety filled, both, or neither.

I booked an appointment with the psychiatrist for Monday.  I was doing some research and it looks like Elavil (amitriptyline) is used as both a tricyclic antidepressant and as a migraine preventative.  I really don't want to be on medicine but if I had to, how bad is Elavil?  It'd be the first tricyclic I'd ever be on and from what little I know about those types of drugs, I know they're harsher than SSRI's.  I like to at least have some idea of what my psych might recommend...which since it's a doctor will of course be more meds.  I just don't know if I should be hopeful after having a great day after 2.5 weeks off Lexapro or if I should be going back on something to try to grab control of my life again.  I'm just so confused right now...

• Administrator

Randomguy, believe it or not, you are experiencing the normal "waves and windows" pattern of healing. That good day is a good sign.

We haven't seen any consistent results from taking another antidepressant to counter withdrawal syndrome. Sometimes it works, sometimes it makes symptoms worse. We cannot recommend this.

If I were you, I would firmly insist on liquid Lexapro.

• Moderator Emeritus

From my own experience,I would also recommend you very warmly to read carefully what Alto wrote for you.

Withdrawal symptoms don't always start immediately upon discontinuation but they get worse over time,in my painful experience with Lexapro...

I see that you were given advice several times to go slower and more gradually but you felt confident and went faster...

If I were you I would strongly advocate with my pdr for a liquid Lexapro.It's your health and your life so your say should be more important.If the dr still refuses,you can always find a new one.

Best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Any M.D. can write the prescription. If you have a good relationship with your GP, you can ask for a prescription for liquid Lexapro.