Burjennio: Hi all. My heads a marley

burjennio

Hi guys,

I put my brief history in my signature as advised, hopefully you guys can advise me on the correct thing to do here:

I have been trying to break away from Lexapro dependance for the last 6 weeks to 2 months, via trying to alter daily doses. I have dropped from 20mg, down to 10mg, finished on 5mg and have now been cold turkey for less than a week and I have been experiencing some of the pretty horrible effects associated with SSRI withdrawl.

The side effects I suffered on the drug were an annoyance, from constant tiredness and oversleeping to a number of the common sexual dysfunctions associated with Lexapro - but they really pale in comparison to the cavalcade of horror that I am currently beset with. 'Brain Zap', shivers, hopelessness, suicidal thoughts, flu-like muscle pain, dizziness, a total lack of concentration and an intense desire to eat anything that is not nailed down - and there are probably more I cannot even think of due to the constant brainfog.

After coming across the information contained on this website I realize that I tried to break free of this drug far too quickly, and even more frighteningly that the common GP is woefully unaware of the serious side effects associated with an abrupt discontinuation of Cipralex. Would it be practical for me to return to my original doseage, hope these symptoms clear up and arrange an appointment with my GP, or should I 'tough it out' so to speak and attempt to ride out the worst of it?

I should note that I have recently began University as a mature student and have been trying to cut out the Lexapro since I started, but as a result of this extreme tapering I have missed a considerable amount of classes due to insomnia, hypersomnia, low mood and pretty much feeling like a sack of crap, especially after dropping below 10mg (it was around this time that my appetite went through the roof as well). I contacted the disability office and have to see someone in their office next week, but Id rather not be falling behind at such an early stage and having to rely on 'special circumstances' to play catch up yet again, as I feel that would render any improvements in my mood over the last year null and void and I would pretty much be 100% back to where I started before I began taking the drug.

Any advice appreciated

David.

Edited by Petu
Added member name to title

Started Lexapro on March.

Tried to come off 20mg dosage for last 4 weeks

Too much, too fast.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, David.  I'm sorry that you've been hurting.  The symptoms you describe are classic withdrawal symptoms, as you have already observed.  

Would it be practical for me to return to my original doseage, hope these symptoms clear up and arrange an appointment with my GP

More than practical, this is probably your best course of action.  There's always a risk that rather than subsiding the withdrawal symptoms will go on for some time (as they have in my case).  We normally suggest to people in your position that they reinstate the anti-depressant at a low dose and work their way back up to a level that alleviates most of their symptoms.  Since it's only been a week you might try taking 10 mgs and seeing how you feel.  After stabilizing we suggest a decrease of 10% of the medication every three to four weeks, though of course you can adjust the rate depending on how you do throughout.

You may find these threads on reinstatement and tapering helpful:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Welcome to the forum, I hope your'e able to see some relief soon.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Thanks Narcissus,

I consider myself fortunate to know that my current physiological and psychological symptoms are a direct result of my body reacting to the withdrawal of a chemical. I dare not imagine the train of thought of a person who was unaware of a such a thing and the potentially catastrophic consequences that could arise from it.

Too much, too fast.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you found the forum and welcome. You will find plenty of support here & good for you to recognize that a drug is causing your problems.

The good news is that 1) you're young 2) you have only been on one drug & 3) you've been on it a short time .

Welcome.

RU :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Glad you found the forum and welcome. You will find plenty of support here & good for you to recognize that a drug is causing your problems.

The good news is that 1) you're young 2) you have only been on one drug & 3) you've been on it a short time .

Welcome.

RU :)

Thank you, I should state that I'm actually in my 30s and have been on several different antidepressants since my late teens at one time or another and for different durations. I had never experienced severe withdrawal symptoms until starting the Lexapro though, I accidently went through a withdrawal back in July due to having an surgical operation and went without the pills for a week - it was the first time I experienced anything like it and informed my GP, who told me that it was probably the result of a sudden stopping of the drug. This is the reason I knew I had to try to taper off it gradually, but as I mentioned, I was not aware of just how slowly you need to do that to be safe.

Too much, too fast.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi David, welcome to the forum, I'm glad you found us only a week out and are still able to reinstate.

I have dropped from 20mg, down to 10mg, finished on 5mg and have now been cold turkey for less than a week and I have been experiencing some of the pretty horrible effects associated with SSRI withdrawl.

When did you start experiencing the SSRI withdrawal symptoms?  Did they kick in at 10mg, 5mg or not until you were at 0mg?  As Narcissus suggested, going back on a small amount might relieve your symptoms so that you can continue to function.  Perhaps 5mg might be enough to do the trick, then you will have less to taper from.

If you do decide to reinstate, it may take a while, possibly several weeks before you feel better.  Please let us know what you decide to do and keep us updated of your progress.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

The full effects (brain zaps, muscle pains) didnt start until I completely stopped taking the drug, but from dropping down from 20mg to 10mg there were noticable issues almost immediately. Somnolence/Hypersomnia, lethargy, poor concentration etc.

I took 10mg last night before bed and the zaps and muscle pains have reduced significantly, as well as my desire to eat everything. Concentration has improved as well. I have to ring my GP in the morning as I could not get an appointment for several weeks so I'll just give him a quick explanation of whats been happening and ask him if I can start getting prescribed the liquid Lexapro that others have mentioned on here, so I cant taper correctly.

Too much, too fast.