SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

doref11 want to share

doref11

how is that the psychiatrists do not know about the Withdrawal from effexor is so difficult and the body is

get use to it and is Addictive?

they need to know this is their Profession

I think they do know. 

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Because to absorb how toxic these drugs are undermines their life's work. And because their underlying belief is that patients need drugs...symptoms coming off proves the patient needs the drug.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Doref, they really should know but always seem to blame return of illness for withdrawal!  

My psychiatrist did tell me it was difficult to stop and would need tapering but didn't tell me HOW 

difficult or that it would take years rather than weeks. They all need educating! 

These drugs need a long slow taper to avoid the withdrawal nightmare.  :(

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Because to absorb how toxic these drugs are undermines their life's work. And because their underlying belief is that patients need drugs...symptoms coming off proves the patient needs the drug.

Exactly. To admit how severe it can be would destroy their belief system.... what are, or are not, safe drugs, etc. Withdrawal is only one piece of the big picture. The damage that the drugs are doing is a whole other mess.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

All I can say is Joanna Moncrieff MD...Critiquing Psychiatry...A psychiatrist not afraid to tell the truth....wrote " The myth of the chemical cure".....I wish she was my Psychiatrist.....One of a kind....

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

I believe my psychiatrist knows. I really want to say that he wants me to stay on the drugs because he believes the alternative is worse. I can't say that though. I think he wants me to stay on them because he doesn't know any other way to help me and can't accept his own limitations. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

i asked my psychiatrist  about effexor Withdrawal and he Saying that he never heard about it. and he think that my huge and Powerful Anxiety Attack

is my Nature with out the drug. but i know that befor i strated with that drug i was never felt  Anxiety Attack so Powerful. i am thinking that this drug is Addictive and now my body need that drug forever. i dont understand how my doctor do not know about addiction. he suld know this is his Profession 

• Administrator

Effexor withdrawal symptoms are well documented in the medical literature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Effexor withdrawal symptoms are well documented in the medical literature.

Could you please tell me where exactly, i. e., which book or author. Or is there already a thread/topic where I can find this information?

Best wishes

Melinda

2005-2008 Cymbalta 60 mg
2008-2011 Cymbalta 30 mg - w/d during several months by skipping days, last pill in October, severe w/d syndrome (no sleep, flu for weeks, muscle pain for months, brain zaps, dizziness etc.)
April 2012 St. John's Wort 900 mg, reducing step by step, now 37,5 mg
April 2012 Trimipramine 25 mg (only 3 days), then 12,5 mg, reducing step by step, now 3 mg

i used effexor for a two Years but i never Really felt and thought that this drug help me or Effective. but now I stopped using effexor a Three months ago. From then until now i filing powerfull  Anxiety And panic.

so strong. and a huge depress i never felt so bad Before. so i thinking that maybe this is the Proof that this drug did help me  and effective. but maybe it is just the Withdrawal Symptoms? i cant know what is Right. what is your Advice shuld i need to go back this drug or Continue that Withdrawal?

Hello doref, first of all, yes, you are having Effexor w/d.

It is not a good idea to quit Effexor suddenly.

How long have you been off?

Depending on your time off, you can think of reinstate the dose and start a SLOW taper.

It is important that you write here your story, so people here can give you a better advice.

Shalom.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Hello and welcome

Effexor cause intense WD for most people.  You can try going back on.....it does take some time to feel better again.  WDfrom suddenly going off a medication like Effexor can go on for a long time.  You can go back on.  Stabilize.  Stay put and then think about getting off of it.

Then again there are people here who continued with the WD state.  Sorry you are experiencing this intense anxiety, panic and depression it is an awful feeling.....all of us have gone thru it....

Other members will be along to help you out with more information.  Hang in there.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Doref, I agree that it does seem very likely to be withdrawal. This drug is a nasty one for withdrawal. I am tapering from it

myself and learned the hard way like yourself that cold turkey is an absolute nightmare! 

There are no guarantees after 3 months off  but you could try reinstating at a smaller dose than you were on when you stopped.

Wait a while to see if there is any improvement then taper off slowly . 

In the tapering forum there is a thread about reinstatement and tapering. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

And one on tapering effexor. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

It would help too if you can put your drug history in your sig line, just your dosage and when you stopped and started them, it makes it easier to help

without having to search through your thread for info. 

I hope you can find some relief , it won't be like this forever.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Please see the Journals forum. Also search http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

for Effexor discontinuation, Effexor withdrawal, venlafaxine discontinuation, etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Welcome, doref. After 3 months off, you might want to try reinstating a very small amount of Effexor to see if this reduces your withdrawal symptoms. Were you taking the XR type, with tiny beads in a capsule? Also see these topics about withdrawal syndrome:What is antidepressant withdrawal syndrome?

the Problem is: i did Stopped slow and taper. a two Months of a slow taper befor the total stop.

maybe this drug is good for me and i need it, i do not know

• Administrator

Even with a 2 month taper, it's likely you tapered too fast and your symptoms are withdrawal syndrome rather than relapse. After 2 years, the drug has changed your brain quite a bit.

Please read the articles.

It is annoying like you People saying:

''Generally, prolonged withdrawal syndrome is not recognized by medicine You will find very few doctors to diagnose it and still fewer to treat it''

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Doref, I merged your last post with this thread, the introduction board is 1 thread per member and 

is good for everyone to check on how we are all doing. 

You are right it is VERY annoying! One day the medical world will find out exactly what these drugs are capable of.

The manufacturers don't make that information available and it is they who are educating the doctors  :(

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

It's more than annoying, it's a public health danger.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think SSRI are bad for withrawal symptoms, but in my experience Effexor, (SNRI) has been the worst by far for withdrawal .

I've been on many different types of anti depressant including SSRI and the Effexor has been a nightmare until I learned 

about tapering properly, and even then it has been difficult at times. There may be others that are more difficult but

this is  my personal experience.

2002  effexor. 

these sort of questions are useless really as every individual has their own journey and while some generalization might be able to be made about this or that drug as opposed to that other drug, the fact is we don't really have any reliable data and it's clear from being around people coming off drugs for close to a decade that any given individual on any given drug can have a really nightmarish experience (regardless of which drug) or a very easy time of it (again, regardless of which drug)

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

which Group of anti depressants has the most Difficult withdrawal? and what is the most Specific drug with the worst withdrawal?

Hi doref,I merged your new topic with your first. This is YOUR journal. Please add any questions, comments, updates to this topic. We are limited to one topic per customer in Intro. It's impossible to give a specific answer to your question. What's difficult for you may be a breeze for me and vise-versa. I've never had a problem stopping an SSRI, I went off Celexa a couple or three times without issues. I didn't know the horror some people experience until I left off Risperdal (an anti-psychotic). Others can leave off Risperdal and be fine.

can the body get recover? or the damage is irreversible?

After I stopped with the drug i am feeling the Withdrawal Symptoms For three months already but i am Wondering if the Anxiety and Depressionand and the other Withdrawal Symptoms will Pass in the Future or my body will stay like that Forever

Hi Doref11

I sometimes wonder if my body will completely recover when I am finding the withdrawal symptoms hard to cope with. The withdrawal symptoms are signs that the body is healing. I had huge anxiety for months after I stopped, then one day I woke up and the anxiety level was much much lower. It is hard, and frustrating and scary, but it does get better. There's a book called "Recovery and Renewal," by Bliss Johns, and she got through withdrawal and wrote a book about it. I read the book and it gives me hope.

Best wishes

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((

09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.

<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Doref11.  It would be very helpful if you'd put your drug history in your signature (directions here: How To Add Your Drug History To Your Signature) and tell us more about yourself.

Yes, people can and do recover from bad experiences with antidepressants.  If you quit your drug(s) cold turkey, three months is not a long time to experience withdrawal symptoms.  Personally, I've been going through withdrawal from a too fast taper off Lexapro for nearly two years and am just now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Please take a look at the topics in the 'Symptoms and self-care' discussion area for ideas on how to feel better without drugs, and read some of the 'Introductions and Updates' to get an idea of what others have experienced.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Doref,

I merged your last post with this thread, the introduction board is 1 thread per member. 

Please use the reply button at the end of this thread to add posts, you can use this thread as your own ongoing journal and the community can keep up with your progress.

How are you feeling now?  Did you give any more thought to reinstating a small amount of Effexor?

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I think they do know.

I think they know, too, and want to keep us coming back for more scripts. My psychiatrist gave no refills and wasn't willing to even talk about me stopping the meds.My GP didn't know Risperdal could be difficult but was aware that "most people have trouble stopping Celexa."

you said: ''generally, prolonged withdrawal syndrome is not recognized by medicine You will find very few doctors to diagnose it and still fewer to treat it''.

It does not make sense. I am skeptical that the ssri/ snri Withdrawal have not been investigated.

I'm sure that the adf Would know if the ssri/snri Really addictive. and They were reported to physicians and doctors.

These drugs exist for years.

my doctor Would tell me if the drug are addictive but he said it  is not addictive. and he not Lying  Because he cares about me and likes me.

I want to add my 2 cents here.

I want you to sit and think, for a couple minutes, how much money these types of drugs bring in.

After thinking about this for a couple minutes, ask yourself this question.....Why would the pharmaceutical industry want you off these meds?

Pharmaceutical drug reps visit Doctors and push drugs...these doctors are in turn given bonuses for handing out these drugs. Unfortunately the doctors are not properly schooled on antidepressant usage. 

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Doref, I have merged this topic with your introduction. One topic for each person in this part of the forum.

If you do a search with any of the search engines you will find lots of evidence. 

Also look at the topics here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/16-from-journals-and-scientific-sources/

and here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/23-controversies-events-actions/

The information leaflets included in the pack also has a section on withdrawal, but does not state how bad it can be. 

There are 2,108 members of this form, all experiencing withdrawal and that is just a tiny amount of people suffering.

I just did a search and found 3 forums in 2 minutes, each with the same stories you see here. This is the tip of the iceberg.

I really wish doctors would do the same research, or just listen to their patients, so they are aware of what these  drugs do 

when stopped suddenly.

2002  effexor. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience With edronax withdrawal and nri? did the nri have a hard withdrawal  like ssri?

I started now to use this drug Because i have  a hard Depression. but i am Worry about the withdrawal  when i will stop that drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Doref, I have merged this topic with your introduction. One topic for each person in this part of the forum.

Doref11, please use the reply button at the end of the page to add posts to your thread, rather than make new topics.  Its easier for everyone to keep up with your progress and situation, and add suggestions and comments.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes