Alabama: Confused

Alabama

Hello,

I started treatment in 07 for anxiety and after plenty of cbt and the medication had it under control and was living life as normal. I reduced my dose to 10 mg on 2010 with no weaning just straight to 10. Only had minor symptoms foe a month or so then felt better than ever. Fast forward to five months ago. Had some stress at work and took 2 pills of lunesta over two nights. Woke up after the first night and felt like something had bad had gone wrong in my head. For the next two months suffered the following - flu like symptoms, serve anxiety that can't control, nausea, headaches, spaced out head, internal shaking, horrible sensitivity to sound and more that I can't remember. The symptoms have waxed and waned over time but never gone away, currently going through a bad period at the moment although not like at the start. Doctors say its my orginal condition coming back but I think they are wrong as anxiety doesn't cause this! I'm just looking for some advice as to what to do next. Do I keep taking the 10 mg lexapro, do I wean of it, do I increase the dose? I'm scared to change anything as clearly my system is not happy at the moment but can I heal while still taking the medication? I know it's an unusual situation and have no idea if it wasa reaction to the lunesta or both of them together but I'm just scared that this is it for me so any help form people with knowledge would be great.

20mg lexapro 07 to 2010 then reduced to 10 mg lexapro and have stayed at this dose.

10mg ambien 07 for 3 months then reduced to 5mg for another 3 months then to 2.5mg then off.

2 pills of lunesta 5 months ago over two nights then the fun began.

No other medication taken.

• Moderator Emeritus

We need to know a bit more before being able to offer much in the way of advice.  It would be good if you could add your drug history to the signature area of your profile.  Here are directions:  

How To Add Your Drug History To Your Signature

It does sound as if your symptoms are an adverse reaction to the Lunesta.  This is definitely NOT the time to change the dose of Lexapro you're taking. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but the best thing you can do is wait for these symptoms to pass. It sounds as if they're fading--slowly--from what you've posted. And yes, you can heal while continuing to take the Lexapro. In fact, changing the dose of Lexapro while your system is so destabilized would very likely make you feel worse.  If I were you, I would also avoid ever taking Lunesta or any similar drug in the future.

Welcome to the forum.  You'll find lots of good information and friendly advice here. Please continue to post your questions and comments here in your Intro thread.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hi jemima,

Thanks so much for your reply. I will update the signature later on today.

We have been thinking along the same lines regarding staying on the medication. I believe I have seen improvement but then you go through another bad period of suffering and start questioning everything. The hardest part is there is no end date and everything is so changeable, just the other week I was kinda wishing for a wave of feeling bad as usually do see an improvement once it passes. But of course once it comes you get scared it won't leave.

Luckily I haven't really suffered any cognitive problems, just fed up with the situation. Do have stupid thoughts though that it will never go away etc. The increased anxiety is the worst for me espcially when you can't control it but am getting better at accepting it and letting it pass.

I did take ambien for about 6 months back in 07 and tapered of that with no issues. Dont know if that had made me senstive to sleeping medication.

Saying you can heal on medication as eased my mind a lot.

I see you are in the Philly suburbs........ever been to Levittown....have family there.

Thanks

20mg lexapro 07 to 2010 then reduced to 10 mg lexapro and have stayed at this dose.

10mg ambien 07 for 3 months then reduced to 5mg for another 3 months then to 2.5mg then off.

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you interested in tapering off of Lexapro eventually?  I went off of it too fast in December of 2011 and am still suffering some withdrawal symptoms, mostly anhedonia and (so far)  the absence of my former creativity.  You might want to look up my intro via the link in my signature and read about how NOT to do it..

Yes, I know where Levittown is, or at least I used to know.  I had an accounting client there years ago. Small world!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hello,

before this reaction happened I was going to start coming off around April next year ( after busy period at work). Now I want to get through this, see how I am and then if well enough will do so. Have been looking on the site so plenty of info for when I need it.

Yes it is a small world! Have spent some time there visiting in the past and it's a nice area - typical american suburb yet close to new York and Philly as well.

I'm sure your last remaining symptoms will subside in time as they have for everyone else. That's what I battle with the most - not knowing when this will end or if not thinking right if it will ever end.

Thanks

Alabama hi and welcome....

Have you googled lunesta.  There are probably alot of blogs out there about it.  Sounds like you had a bad reaction.

I hope this passes for you quickly.  Maybe not a good time to change Lexapro....

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Nikki,

Thanks or the reply.

Yeah bad reaction it seems hopefully starts to settle down soon.

Wont be changing lexapro dose until over this. Just was wondering what to do as bit of a unique situation. Guess you can have a bad reaction to any drug especially ones that act on the brain. Was more concerned that continuing o take the lexapro won't allow me to heal but that seems to have been answered.

Thanks

• Administrator

Welcome, Alabama.

It certainly seems that you've had a bad reaction to Lunesta and it's destabilized your nervous system somewhat.

If I were you, I'd keep everything consistent until your nervous system stabilizes. Give it a good while.

If you wish to come off Lexapro after that, I strongly recommend a very gradual taper. Once your nervous system has experienced destabilization, it may be very sensitive to further dosage changes. (This may be a legacy of your reduction from 20mg to 10mg.) See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Please also take this as a sign that taking neuroactive substances may cause unexpected results for you in the future.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alabama, I posted an introduction earlier today and it seems we both have had a bad reaction to hypnotics. I CT lexapro and was in withdrawal and took ambien and then these internal vibration/tremors started. It feels like Parkinson's, but you can't see it. I am three weeks off ambien and they are still there...not as bad, but still there... I also started celexa due to it being less energizing than lexapro, so not sure if that is causing issues...just want to feel normal again:-(

May 2007 started Lexapro 10mg for 2 weeks and up to 20mg (Post Partum Depression)June 2009 Reduced to 10mgAugust 2011 Reduced to 5 mgFeb 2013 Quit Cold TurkeyApril 2013 Reinstated 5mg for 3 days only & Ambien 10mgJune 2013 Introduced Celexa 10mg for 5 days and up to 20mgSeptember 2013 increased to 30mgOctober 2013 Tapered Ambien and quit<p>