SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fluoride

aza

The use of Sodium in our water supply has never received FDA approval as a Drug. This policy of medicating our drinking water with sodium fluoride was never put to a puplic vote it was done without the publics concent.

Fluoride content in Food

Children, diabetics and people with kidney disease are especially at risk of Fluoride poisoning.

Children and sodium Fluoride

Here is a study on the effect of Fluoride on children's IQ.

Childrens IQ and Sodium fluoride

More to come later.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for this, scary stuff.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Administrator

Fluoride as a component of antidepressants has nothing to do with their adverse effects on the nervous system.

Fluorine occurs naturally in water.

There are many, many alternative medicine myths about dangers to our health, and the fear of fluoride or fluorine is one of them.

The fear of fluoride or fluorine in psychiatric drugs is misplaced. Their risks are unrelated to fluorine or fluoride. If you have withdrawal symptoms, you have much more important things to worry about.

PS My town was one of the first to get fluoridated water, I've been exposed to it since I was a small child and, at 62, my teeth are in terrific shape.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I filter the flouride out of my water...in my town they were putting more than average and we had a number of neurological illnesses tied to it...this is documented and in our local papers...I will not drink water with flouride in it, nor bathe in it either...I've got enough of a toxic load in my body so anywhere I can minimize it I do.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Aza,

It might ease your mind if you limited yourself to filtered or spring water. You can buy a shower head filter as well. I had one at my old house ....

best,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Aza,

It might ease your mind if you limited yourself to filtered or spring water. You can buy a shower head filter as well. I had one at my old house ....

best,

Alex

Thanks every one. I plan on purchasing a Reverse osmosis counter top Water filter in march. And I'm giving the one I use now to a friend of mine, not as good as the RO-75-90 but good enough to filter out the Fluoride.

See ya

I was reminded recently that my grade school gave fluoride tablets to all of the kids (1970s). Disturbing.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I was just talking to my husband this morning about this. I'm so disappointed that the new town we live in puts floride in the water. It does pose health risks long term, especially with over exposure.

But at least we won't have bad teeth.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Amazed our town recently took it out...sent out a flyer saying it was costing $20K/year, and everyone could make their own choice about fluoride, listed other ways to get it.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Amazed our town recently took it out...sent out a flyer saying it was costing $20K/year, and everyone could make their own choice about fluoride, listed other ways to get it.

Fantastic!

This is the way it ought to be, we have the right to choose ye or ne on this and not have it forced on us. I just purchased a non Fluoride tooth Paste, first time I hope this works out for me.

I see Colgate finally has a young childrens non-fluoride tooth paste. There must have been some bad press for them to bow to the consumer like that.

I remember growing up and seeing the Colgate comercials on TV, back in the 50's they used monofluo-phosfate (MFP) now I see they use (Sodium Fluoride) you have to wonder why if they use fluoride why they don't use calcium fluoride. Our bodies are better able to tolerate it (the natural fluoride) and it is not as easily absorbed into the body.

Aza,

best,

Alex

Hi Alexe,

I did a search pretty comprehensive for fluoride shower filters and the only one to claim to remove fluoride used a kinda metalic ring around the water pipe to deionize the fluoride to render it harmless. It's still in the water isn't it?

Plenty of filters for chlorine but not fluoride (right or wrong) that was my conclusion. I'll continue my search, I may have to invent one, LOL.

Cheers

I was just talking to my husband this morning about this. I'm so disappointed that the new town we live in puts floride in the water. It does pose health risks long term, especially with over exposure.

But at least we won't have bad teeth.

For the record:The Deep Dark Secret Finally Exposed

• 2 months later...

Fluoride as a component of antidepressants has nothing to do with their adverse effects on the nervous system.

Fluorine occurs naturally in water.

There are many, many alternative medicine myths about dangers to our health, and the fear of fluoride or fluorine is one of them.

The fear of fluoride or fluorine in psychiatric drugs is misplaced. Their risks are unrelated to fluorine or fluoride. If you have withdrawal symptoms, you have much more important things to worry about.

The e-book on Prozac mentioned here hurt my brain. This is how conspiracy theories start and keep going, imho. The author is a PhD and I'd need to see his creds as a bona fide researcher/reporter of the results of scientific studies before I take anything he says as the truth. I skipped to the end, no citations to actual studies anywhere. I underlined Alto's comment in the quote because I that is where the focus belongs. I think I'll stay out of the off topic area.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Totally agree with Alto.

I used to have perfect teeth before my dental hygiene became horrible. And then when I went on psych meds, it didn't matter how great it was as because of the dry mouth they caused, it was impossible not to have problems.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I read parts of this letter and it does indeed have citations to studies. Date of her letter is 1999. Studies done in mid 1990's. Last citation is to this: "17). Declassified letter. April 29, 1944. "Subject: Request for animal experimentation to determine central nervous system effects," from John L. Perry, Captain, Medical Corps".

A line in the letter caught my eye:

"A common theme in these reports was that fluoride exposure impaired memory and concentration and that it caused lethargy, headache, depression and confusion. The depression is not something to ignore because suicide occurs more frequently than expected in populations of fluoride workers (7)."

Citation is to this: "7). Grandjean, P., Olsen, H., Jensen, O.M., Juel, K. Cancer incidence and mortality in workers exposed to fluoride. J. N. Cancer Inst. 84: 1903-1909, 1992."

Huh? I'd have to read the study to see how she was able to make the mental leap to formulating the sentence tying depression and suicide together from a study on cancer incidence.

I have a theory that if you have a theory you can find evidence to bolster/refute it on the web, so easy now but in the 90's she may have had to get her research by hand and spend a lot of a$$ time reading it all.

Now I think I can move on.....

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

Believe me, the amount of fluoride in an antidepressant is tiny and not responsible for any brain-disabling effects of the drug. Other stuff does that.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I believe fluoridated water has a detrimental impact on all of us and is a contributing factor to our deteriorating health. The link below is an example of some of the research showing the dark side of fluoridated water.

Letter from Phyllis J. Mullenix, Ph.D.

A small excerpt from the letter from Phyllis J. Mullenix, PH.D. ,

"Unfortunately, the link between fluoride and the brain does not end with the above mentioned studies. In 1993 while studying the neurotoxicity associated with the treatments of childhood leukemia, we demonstrated that the fluorinated steroid dexamethasone disrupted behavior in rats to a greater degree than did its non fluorinated counterpart prednisolone (14,15). This finding prompted a clinical study of children treated for leukemia, where it was found that the fluorinated steroid was more detrimental to IQ than the nonfluorinated steroid, in particular reading comprehension, arithmetic calculation and short-term working memory deficits were greater (16). In short, this finding has fueled a growing concern about the contribution of fluorinated pharmaceuticals to the total body burden of fluoride."

And here,

"As you decide whether or not to fluoridate the water supplies of Fort Detrick, it is imperative that you consider the impact on total body burden of fluoride. The soldier today is a different individual, facing a very different situation than that encountered fifty years ago when fluoridation was promoted as a "safe and effective" means to protect against tooth decay. The difference stems from the fact that 1) fluoride exposures today are out of control, well beyond the dose touted as optimum for caries prevention; and 2) people today, especially soldiers, are exposed to substances and conditions that will interact with fluoride exposure and magnify harmful effects (i.e., exposure to beryllium, lead, strontium, aluminum, cholinesterase-inhibiting pesticides, uranium hexafluoride, stress, nutritional deficiencies, increased water consumption due to extreme exercises, fluorinated pharmaceuticals, and nerve gases including sarin)."

And finally,

"Therefore, in good conscience I can only discourage the notion of fluoridating the water supply of Fort Detrick. The evidence against the safety of this public health policy will keep mounting and never disappear again. My ignorance of fluoride in the beginning was a matter of chance. If you ignore this evidence today, it will be a matter of choice. Good luck with doing the right thing."

Fluoride accumulates in the body over time, why add more to the fluoride burden if you don't have to!

• 2 weeks later...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 5 months later...

I don't know if this has been talked about yet but In the last couple days I've had a light bulb turn on as far as my struggle goes.

I lived in an area that did not fluoridate their water. I moved from that area in Aug. 2012. The city I currently live is is fluoridated. Since I've lived here, I've gotten progressively worse. 

(My daughter has been experiencing some health issues since living here too, but it could be purely coincidence)

I understand fully that withdrawal from prozac was/is the catalyst for my health issues. But I am very concerned that through the withdrawal process that I've become over sensitized to fluoride.

Prozac contains active molecules of fluorine. It is bonded with carbon and not supposed to metabolize in your system though.......but it can. 

(I'm probably saying this wrong. I'm terrible with this science stuff. Just do a google search.)

Many antidepressants contain fluoride and many of them are the ones that typically carry a hefty withdrawal punch....like paxil.

I don't want to start a nasty debate, but I personally feel that fluoride is poison and shouldn't be ingested, period. 

Now since weaning (probably since the first time I tried) off prozac I'm terribly sensitive to all kinds of things. Fluoride is one of them I'm sure of it.

Now I can't escape it. It's in my food and water. Lately I've been having a difficult time after warm showers. I now suspect that I'm having difficult time with hot teas both because of the fluoride in the water but also maybe because of fluoride in the tea leaves. (depending on where it comes from)

I sincerely hope it's not the case... but now certain things make sense.

I'm scared that I'm essentially being poisoned on a daily basis.

Has anyone else looked into this?

I remember a similar discussion has been here before. Indeed some of the antidepressants contain onw or more fluorine atoms: Prozac and Paxil both are organic fluorine compounds.

But Effexor, also one of the most notorious, does not contain fluorine.

Many medicines, including statines, contain fluorine. In organic cpmpounds, fluorine atoms are used to "tune" the electron distribution in the molecues and therefore its biological reactivity.

I do not really believe this is the reason for the terrible WD of the SSRI's. Also organic fluorine  cannt be compared one-to-one to inorganic fluoride as it is added to most tooth pastes.

But I do agree with you that AD's are poison and we are badly damaged by them...

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

I don't really think it's the main cause of bad withdrawal either but it would make sense that it could cause problems if they are living in a fluoridated area and are getting too much.....or develop a major sensitivity to it upon weaning.

I have a weird feeling about flouride and heavy metals, specifically lead. I have bone problems and notice that my problems are exacerbated w/ tap water, particularly showering. The feeling at the moment is that it's related to the flouride but I am not sure. I got a shower head filter that claims to remove 90% of flouride and I hope to get it onto the shower head this weekend. Maybe that will help.

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

There's a lot of paranoia about fluoride. In terms of the amount of it in psychiatric medications, fluoride is probably among the least problematic ingredients.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3895-fluoride-a-key-dumbing-down-ingredient-of-prozac/

Alto-no doubt there are other ingredients that are more worrisome. My main concern though is- Could I have (through weaning and withdrawal) developed a sensitivity to it? I know there is really no way of answering this. 

At this point, I just want to know what questions to ask and what decisions need to be made to improve my quality of life....because it's very bad.

I'm trying to figure out the right way of bringing this up to the neurologist. 

I'm really thinking I've developed a sensitivity to it. 

Bottom line for me is....I feel there is something wrong and I don't want to ignore it.

I have a weird feeling about flouride and heavy metals, specifically lead. I have bone problems and notice that my problems are exacerbated w/ tap water, particularly showering. The feeling at the moment is that it's related to the flouride but I am not sure. I got a shower head filter that claims to remove 90% of flouride and I hope to get it onto the shower head this weekend. Maybe that will help.

keep me posted. 

My husband and I have been discussing things we can do to improve our water at home. It's quite expensive! 

Sadly, I'm not the only one in my household whose health is struggling since we have moved here. I'm sure they are for different reasons but still an odd coincidence. So we are motivated to figure things out.

I found this too. http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/fluoride/136264.html 

Not sure If you can give this too much credit but....it's difficult to find good info on the subject.

Duner-

If you think fluoride is causing problems for you you can try to limit exposure to municipal water. The Rainshower filter claims to remove 90% of fluroide and is inexpensive. Drinking spring water is more expensive but not prohibitively so. I buy 2.5 gallon bottles of spring water. I like this brand personally

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1FS0F42377&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Diet+%26+Fitness-_-9SIA1FS0F42377

But any one that you like is probably okay. There's a lot of good, I'd guess, sources for local spring water in your area. If the fraking industry from the Dakotas hasn't polluted it yet.

Overall, fluoride sensitivity of a severe nature is only going to happen if you have other health issues, IMO, and these beyond taking a lot of prozac. Most people drink fluorinated water and suffer little negative effect from it. But it probably bothers sick people. It bothers me.

- Zimmerman

Overall, fluoride sensitivity of a severe nature is only going to happen if you have other health issues, IMO, and these beyond taking a lot of prozac. Most people drink fluorinated water and suffer little negative effect from it. But it probably bothers sick people. It bothers me.

This is a very good point. This is why I am going to see someone again and get some tests done.

• 2 months later...

I was given these tablets for years since the age of 3 because our town water had no fluoride in them. I wonder if this had any contribution to my GAD that ive had my whole life

I was reminded recently that my grade school gave fluoride tablets to all of the kids (1970s). Disturbing.

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• 5 months later...

I just found out some new information by googling... prozac contains fluoride? what do you think of that?

it would totally explain many things for me....

i.e. this link, but it's not the only source http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/anxiety-disorders-discussions/general-support/1150319-the-deadly-toxic-fluoride-in-your-antidepressent

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Here's a good article http://www.robertgammal.com/Fluoride/PoisonSympsFl.html

and this here explains the link with thyroid and tiredness http://www.naturalthyroidchoices.com/Fluoride.html

I'm totally devastated. fluoride poisoning totally explains all my symptoms - disrupted sleep and extreme tiredness. i need to get off this drug NOW, at the same time the withdrawals are so bad that I just can't go faster! I'm furious! and sad :'(

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Administrator

rapunzel, please use search before starting a new topic.

As I said before, there are other ingredients in psychiatric drugs that are a lot more worrisome.

It is unlikely that fluoride alone is responsible for your symptoms. You still need to taper carefully.

sorry, I was so blown away that I totally forgot that maybe somebody has already written about it here.

what are the other ingredients that are more worrisome?

• Administrator

The active form of the drug, for one.