SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fonz: Sick After Taking Dose?

Fonz

Moderator note - link to Fonz's benzo forum thread - Fonz: Protracted Withdrawal, anyone ?

hi,

I'm new to this forum but have put my time in on other forums. 

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with becoming sick before your SSRI dose? Within a couple hours of the dose it seems to clear up a lot.

I'm also wondering if anyone has ever became sick from taking a dose ? Like you feel alright but after taking the SSRI you become sick.

History:

I have been on SSRI's for 10 years. 18 days ago I finished my 12 month taper of a Benzodiazepine. I take my SSRI (cipralex (lexapro) at night.

Thank you,

Fonz

Edited by Shep
added link to benzo forum thread

Took 5mg Lexapro (Cipralex) for 14 years.

Did 8 Month taper, jumped off December 2017.

Took Clonazepam for 10 years. Went through Benzodiazepine Protracted withdrawal. I am five years out but still not fully recovered. I was bedridden for the first two years.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fonz

• Pugknows

• mammaP

• manymoretodays

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mentor

When I took medication it caused mild nausea for a couple hours after taking it.

I also got very sick during medication if I missed a dose and was 12 hours overdue. Only realizing I missed a dose when I starting feeling sick.

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fonz, If you feel better after your dose it's probably withdrawal, which clears after the dose has been taken.

Feeling ok but sick after a dose would more likely be side effects of the drug. Sometimes you can have both

side effects AND withdrawal as I did but side effects are not as severe now I'm almost off it. I  still get the

withdrawal when my dose is due, even when it's a miniscule dose! 

Congratulations on completing your benzo taper, have you any plans to taper your SSRI? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Welcome, Fonz.

How much Lexapro are you taking? Have you changed dosages recently? How long have you had this symptom pattern?

I'll move this topic to the Intro forum as your Intro topic. Clearly it's going to be specifically about your situation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the responces.

It may not be SSRI related but I seem to get very sick about 3 hours after taking my SSRI at night. As it's only been a month since jumping off my benzo I may be related to that. I just find it strange that it's always after my SSRI.

Mamma P  - I plan on tapering the rest of my SSRI once I start feeling better from my Benzo withdrawals. I'm thinking 6 months to a year from now I'm guessing.

Altostrata - As I cut my SSRI dose in half two years ago I'm down to 5MG. I know this is a small dose but I have proved to be very sensitive to any drugs. I have been on SSRI's for 10 years along with Benzodiazepines.

The Benzo withdrawal is HELL for me, I don't want to blame the SSRI just yet but it's nice to hear peoples input.

All the best,

Fonz

Took Clonazepam for 10 years. Went through Benzodiazepine Protracted withdrawal. I am five years out but still not fully recovered. I was bedridden for the first two years.

Hi fonz,

I am saddened that you are suffering .. :(

But you are in a caring forum, with knowledgeble people.

Please hang in there, and someone with expertise will come along shortly, to help you.

Meanwhile, you may want to look at the tapering forum, as there is alot of information there, about tapering Lexapro.

Thinking of you, and wishing you serenity, and healing.

Love, Lexicon

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fonz, I'm sorry you are feeling sick. You sound very much like I was before I started tapering effexor.

I would take it at night because it made me feel so sick, it didn't matter so much at night when I could go

to bed after taking it. I would feel lightheaded and like pins and needles in my brain when it was due then better

after taking it, 2 -3 hours later would feel sick and ill. It got better and better each time I dropped a few beads. 

I don't know anything about Benzos so can't comment on that side of it but I really hope you can feel better soon

and start to think about tapering the cipralex. There is a board here  that might be able to offer support with the

benzo withdrawal symptoms. .

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Lexicon, Thank you for the kind words :) I hope you are feeling better today!  :wub: 

mammaP - Any idea what was causing you to feel sick after you would take it ?  I like the idea of sleeping through the suffering so I am going to try and get to bed earlier now. I will certainly be looking in to getting off the SSRI once I recover enough from the benzo damage.

I think I may be able to provide good support for the people in the benzo section.

I think I need to change this topic to read "Sick after Dose". 

Take care and thank you for the replies,

Fonz

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fonz, the effexor made me sick for years, it was just the side effects.

. I thought I needed it for the depression it but couldn't do

anything after taking it except go to bed,   I couldn't sleep but I was laid down

and didn't have to do anything or go anywhere. It actually got worse as time went by

and started to ease when I started tapering.  I hope it isn't long before you feel well

enough to taper the ssri. I really feel so much better it's incredible. I thought I was

dying, literally, I felt like I was deteriorating rapidly and couldn't see myself living 

very long! 

2002  effexor. 

Im sorry to hear you had to suffer.. but happy to hear you are doing well now :)

Last thing in the world i want is to be on any of these evil drugs.

I know we are all different but im wondering what symptoms you were having when the SSRI was making you sick ?

Fonz

• Moderator Emeritus

I was exhausted all the time, if I went to the shops I would be in bed for 3 days or more after.

Flu like symptoms, muscle pain and spasms. Joint pain, I have arthritis and thought all the

pain was that but the effexor made it worse. Anhedonia, demotivated. Hearing dulled, 

headaches, really bad headaches on one side or the other. erratic heartbeat, hypertension

the list could go on! And withdrawal while tapering added to all that was horrendous.

Looking back I was really ill and kept complaining to the doctors. I had a lot of other stuff over

the years too, some life threatening illnesses and they never thought it might be the meds making

everything worse. I was manic to start , then crashed, levelled out and not bad for a couple of years,

still side effects but could cope. Then they ramped up and got worse when some of my meds changed.

It was downhill all the way after that. Eventually hardly went out, house was embarrassing, wouldn't

answer the phone or the door.  that went on for about 6 -7 years  becoming progressively worse.

Then I decided to look into the meds and discovered effexor caused a lot of the side effects, and

when meds changed from codeine to tramadol it all accelerated because they shouldn't be prescribed

together. I decided that I was going to get off them and here I am now. I'm so glad I did, the psychiatrist 

said I would be on them for life, well that wouldn't have been much longer IMO! 

2002  effexor. 

Thank you for the info mammaP!

It's unreal how many different doctors said I'd be on the medication for life.

I'm very fortunate because the doctors tried to get me to updose over and over, I always refused.

Again I'm glad you are feeling better! It sounds like you have had quite a battle as well.

All the best,

Fonz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fonz,

Thinking of you, and hoping that you are feeling much better .

Please keep in touch, and let us know how you are ..

Keeping you in thought and prayer,

Love, Lexicon

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been taking my SSRI for 10 years, 2 years ago I decided to cut it down by 50%, I was left with 5mg Lexapro which I still take daily. I'm wondering how I would know if I have hit a tolerence? Sometimes I get quite sick after taking the drug and sometimes not.

Thanks,

Fonz

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fonz,

Welcome to our forum, thank you for posting.

I'm not certain about this, but I think the term tolerance is used more with relation to benzos. It means the current dose is no longer  strong enough to suppress the anxiety, so anxiety symptoms return, and often, a higher dose is then needed for continued anxiety suppression.

SSRIs work a little differently, although I don't think anyone really knows exactly how they work.  They certainly 'poop-out', but usually with SSRIs, increasing the dose doesn't actually work and often a doctor will try a different kind of SSRI or an SNRI, or add another drug to the mix.

If Lexapro is now making you sick, its probably a sign that you are having an adverse reaction to it, a side effect or an unwanted effect.  The longer we stay on these kinds of drugs, the more side effects seem to start appearing because they cause changes in various systems all over the body.

If you would like to safely taper off the rest of your Lexapro, we can help you do that.  There are healthier ways to manage the difficulties and stress of life which can cause anxiety and depression.  Psychiatric drugs don't cure anything, in some people, they can mask symptoms for a while. But I don't think anyone does well on them long term.

When you say you get sick, what side effects are you actually having?  How long after you take your dose do these symptoms occur?

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Fonz, I merged your topics. Only one topic to a customer in the Introductions forum. Please bookmark or follow this topic and add to it.

How does 5mg Lexapro make you sick?

I don't think you need to worry about tolerance.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Fonz, you are in benzo withdrawal, and it sounds like you may have come off the benzo while still in withdrawal from cutting the Cipralex down, so I am not surprised that you are having some symptoms. 

You might want to try dividing your daily dose into two doses twelve hours apart. If we have a thread on escitalopram (Cipralex) check and see if you can cut the tablets. This could help in two ways: you will keep blood levels stable so perhaps you will not feel sick when you are getting close to the next dose, and you will be taking a smaller amount at each time so perhaps you will feel less sick after the dose as well.

I should add that when I was still on higher doses and in withdrawal, what you are experiencing was normal for me: withdrawal when I needed to take my next dose, followed by feeling like crap once the drug got into my system. 

I think this will fade as you recover from your previous withdrawal. Please do not reduce your daily dose of Cipralex. If I were you I would wait a year before changing anything. However, you might try splitting it up. I hope that helps you.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I am in deseperate need of help.

To make this short, I am a survivor of severe Benzo withdrawal. I am two years off and although I have improvements I am still unable to work and still find my self quite ill.

I am here because I am taking 5mg of Cipralex (Lexapro) which I have been on for 12 years. I am concerned my SSRI may be part of the reason I am still so sick.

Unfortunately the benzo forums can no longer help as some of my symptoms are not recognised with Benzo WD.

The catch is I was waiting to be healed from Benzo WD before starting the SSRI Wd.

As soon as I see people Chime in I will provide more info and answer questions.

Thank you all!

Fonz

Hey Fonz--welcome to the group.  Congratulations on getting off of the benzos, but sorry to hear that your feeling so badly.  I'm not the benzo expert but I would suspect that they are still a strong contributor to what you're feeling.  Also having been on a set dose of Lexapro for so long it is probably starting to loose its effectively, which is pretty common around the 10 year mark.  This thread should help you sort out some of what is happening;

What is withdrawal syndrome?

A couple of others that would be good to take a look at are;

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

That should give us a starting place to get things figured out.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you for the info.

I will go update my info and see who chimes in.

Cheers,

Fonz

Hello everyone,

Sorry I didn't reply, I have been through some serious hell off and on the last two years. I am nearly 2 years off the Benzos now.

My current issue is the strange episodes of illness I have been getting.

I get episodes that feel like an electrical storm in my brain. Everything becomes hazy and i become ill feeling and I must lay down. My brain turns to mush and I can no longer do simple tasks. I can do nothing but wait for these dreadful episodes to pass. They are very scary and it's interupting my entire life. I also get preassure in my upper jaw and my brain vibrates and pulses badly.

Although they can happen at random times the most common is either 1 hour prior or 30-60min after taking my daily dose of SSRI.

It is very possible I am still experiencing issues from the Benzo Withdrawal but I can't help but suspect the SSRI is playing a role.

My brain vibrates constantly, it's been nearly two years. No doctor can explain it and most don't believe me.

Any ideas folks?

Fonz

Fonz your photography is incredible

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

So sorry Fonz..

Same story with doctors everywhere unfortunately..

You couldn't make this stuff up!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Administrator

Fonz, please keep detailed notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern, when you take your drugs, and their dosage.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Thank you LoveandLight :) 

I only take Cipralex. I do not take any other form of medication, for anything.

Tonight I became ill about 30min before my dose which is always 8pm. I felt better about 40min after my dose.  

I have the odd night where I don't get symptoms at all but it's mostly after my dose or prior.  I can understand withdrawal and the drug causing illness but what confuses me is when its random during the day.

• Administrator

Please keep detailed notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern, when you take Cipralex, and its dosage. Over a week or so, this will help identify the source of your symptoms.

Will do! I will report back when I have findings.

Fonz

I'm very confident in saying the SSRI makes me ill.

I accidently missed a dose and I felt like I had a horrible hang over feeling the next day. I also felt increased anxiety and a horrid headache. After getting my dose I felt some relief.

Each and everyday I get ill feeling around 40min prior or after my dose. Most times I feel ill after my dose. I took my dose 20min ago and I'm feeling the exact same symptoms as I get daily.

Every 3-5 days ill have a day or two where I get no symptoms at all.

So what are my options for stopping this from happening? Updosing is not an option for me.

I was thinking splitting my dose or slowly tapering off.

Fonz

• Administrator

What do you mean when you say you feel ill?

Did you split the dose as Rhi suggested back in January?

* topic/posts moved from symptoms forum

Hello everyone.

I picked up my refill tonight and noticed the price dramaticaly dropped. I asked the pharmacist and they just said that's the new price.

The pills look identical but the name on the bottle is a little different.

The brand use to be Cipralex, now it is Ran-Escitalopram. I realize they are both Escitalopram but I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with such a change?

I took my usual dose tonight and for nearly two hours I felt quite sick, brain symptoms like zaps and disoriented.

I need to take note that I always feel sick after taking my dose but tonight was much different.

Cheers,

Fonz

Edited by Petunia
added note

I have not split the dose yet. I may try it, I just need to build the courage to do so as any change always makes me sick.

When I say sick I'm refering to the odd brain symptoms I have listed above.

The Pharmacist seems to have switched brand names and I felt sick but different after my dose, I'm hoping this is temporary. I felt very disoriented and had plenty of brain zaps & pulsing sensations. All I could do was lay down and it lasted for a few hours.

Fonz

Hi Fonz,

So sorry you are suffering. I followed your posts on benzo buddies. You went through the ringer coming off benzos, and finally healed. Congrats!

You will find a lot of support on this forum as you taper off your AD. I wish you the best!

Love, Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Just noticed how long you've been a member on here. A lot longer than I have. You are a seasoned pro!

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

I definitely started having some difficulties when esctalopram went generic.  And the pharmacy did indeed keep on switching generics for the lowest price outcome.  I did manage to do okay with it though.......back when I was on a 5mg. dose.........over time and all.  I also wouldn't recommend taking that med. in the evening either, as it is kind of stimulating......or was to me.  I did find I could forget a dose sometimes.........being in a rush getting out of the house and onward.........and would usually do just fine.......no immediate withdrawal or anything.

I have expressed myself to the pharmacist as to........that this leads to difficulty in some consumers.  I don't know that he/she has much say in it though.

I have also heard other people on psycho meds have the same problem when switching medication manufacturers(not by their own choice).  So much for FDA regulators, huh.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks for the reply.

I have been taking my dose in the evening for roughly 12 years. I'm currently taking 5mg and would like nothing more than to get off.

I'm wondering if one can get use to generic, it would certainly save ne some money but I don't want to me messed up from it.

I took it 4 hours ago and I still feel crappy.

Thanks from dropping in Pug!

I have been a member here for a while but I have not been posting as I was more focused on the Benzo's. Although I have a lot of healing to do I'm nearly 2 years off and there are huge improvements.

I'm having some issues and I'm starting to see the SSRI is playing a big role. I need off.

All the best,

Fonz