If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#469 KarenB

KarenB

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

You could look into a small amount of melatonin which some people do find helpful.  Have you tried all the sleep hygiene ideas in this thread?  

2010 May Fluoxetine 20mg. Raging mostly stops, become more functional.
2011 February Escitalopram 10mg (sudden switch). 2012 January Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Early June Feeling great, decide to taper. Doc advises alternate days 20mg/10mg for 4 weeks.  Late June Steady. Drop to 10mg daily. Early July Not coping, raging, flu symptoms, shaky, anxious, low, spaced-out, self-destructive.  Mid July Return to alternate days 20mg/10mg - minimal improvement. Early August Return to full dose 20mg. Lost.
2014 February Switch to Venlafaxine. (First reduced Esc. to 10mg/day for a week) Feb-April Lost, 'light' self-harm, exhausted.
April Increase Ven. to 150mg/day. Dizzy. July 75mg twice a day to improve dizziness. Deep depression remains.  2015 Feb Vigilant dose spacing partially eases dizziness. Mar Switch to Effexor 75mg 2x/day. May Cut 10% to 135mg - bad w/d 2 mths, held 1 mth.  Aug 1.3% cut - bad 1mth, held 1mth. Oct 4 wkly 0.4% cuts held 6 weeks. Jan 2016 2 wkly 0.4% cuts. 8 month hold. Sept Wkly cuts: 0.5%, 3 1% cuts.  Oct 4 wkly 1% cuts, hold 3-4 weeks.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamins E & C, magnesium, iron, MSM, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.  My story of healing: ContinuedHealing

***I am not a doctor or counselor; please do your own research and be prepared to take responsibility for decisions you make.*** 

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

#470 uncomfortablynumb

uncomfortablynumb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

In withdrawal is it normal to feel constantly wired? It is like I don't get sensations of being tired and drifting to sleep. I am feeling really sick from the insomnia - headache, nausea, weakness and muscle pain.
10/2006 - Celexa 4 wks - not effective 10/2006 - Effexor - kicked in within 4 wks at 112mg dose. Over 3 yrs worked fairly consistently well but began having relapses of depression and anxiety. Upped dose to 150mg or 187mg and was fine. On Effexor, I was always taking workout energy supplements2009 - Effexor started pooping out and tried adding Abilify to no avail. Then tried Pristiq which also didn't help.2010 - Back on Effexor at 150mg. Surprisingly worked again, but less effective. Slowly started losing Effectiveness over 3 years.2013 - tried Zoloft, Nortriptyline, and Wellbutrin. Each separately for 4 weeks. Didn't give longer because they all were causing heart and other issues. 2014 - back to Effexor and it worked just to get me functioning. 04/2015 - off Effexor after a 2 month taper from 150mg. Was doing well for 3 months off meds but still taking pre-workout supps. 07/2015 - stopped taking my pre-workout energy supplement because I was abusing it and taking it for long periods. Stopped that cold turkey and quickly fell into depression and anxiety. 07/2015 - back on Effexor. From July to August slowly increased dose to 187mg and it didn't do anything. 09/2015 - began weaning off Effexor 37mg drops every wk. Then half of 37mg for a week to nothing on Oct. 16. Cue W/D symptoms 11/01/2015 - reinstated 37.5mg Effexor for a day and quit because it made me feel worse. Then 10 beads. Gave up. 12/01/2015 - Doc prescribed Remeron for severe insomnia. Took 15mg for 2 days and 7.5 for 4 days and stopped. Realized this was not a good long term solution for a withdrawal symptom.
Experiencing severe insomnia dizziness,headache,brain zaps. Severe anxiety and depression. Mind is mostly blank - difficulty thinking/concentrating. Hard to socialize. Poor long term memory. Depersonalization/unreal feeling. Emotional flatness. No interest or motivation.

#471 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Have you seen the symptoms on this list: Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 28mg (from 3 March 17)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

I've still got a way to go ... but I've already come a long way!!!

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#472 uncomfortablynumb

uncomfortablynumb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

I read through this list. I don't know what would fit the description. It is like constant, unrelenting adrenaline pumping but I am exhausted and mental functioning is becoming really difficult.
10/2006 - Celexa 4 wks - not effective 10/2006 - Effexor - kicked in within 4 wks at 112mg dose. Over 3 yrs worked fairly consistently well but began having relapses of depression and anxiety. Upped dose to 150mg or 187mg and was fine. On Effexor, I was always taking workout energy supplements2009 - Effexor started pooping out and tried adding Abilify to no avail. Then tried Pristiq which also didn't help.2010 - Back on Effexor at 150mg. Surprisingly worked again, but less effective. Slowly started losing Effectiveness over 3 years.2013 - tried Zoloft, Nortriptyline, and Wellbutrin. Each separately for 4 weeks. Didn't give longer because they all were causing heart and other issues. 2014 - back to Effexor and it worked just to get me functioning. 04/2015 - off Effexor after a 2 month taper from 150mg. Was doing well for 3 months off meds but still taking pre-workout supps. 07/2015 - stopped taking my pre-workout energy supplement because I was abusing it and taking it for long periods. Stopped that cold turkey and quickly fell into depression and anxiety. 07/2015 - back on Effexor. From July to August slowly increased dose to 187mg and it didn't do anything. 09/2015 - began weaning off Effexor 37mg drops every wk. Then half of 37mg for a week to nothing on Oct. 16. Cue W/D symptoms 11/01/2015 - reinstated 37.5mg Effexor for a day and quit because it made me feel worse. Then 10 beads. Gave up. 12/01/2015 - Doc prescribed Remeron for severe insomnia. Took 15mg for 2 days and 7.5 for 4 days and stopped. Realized this was not a good long term solution for a withdrawal symptom.
Experiencing severe insomnia dizziness,headache,brain zaps. Severe anxiety and depression. Mind is mostly blank - difficulty thinking/concentrating. Hard to socialize. Poor long term memory. Depersonalization/unreal feeling. Emotional flatness. No interest or motivation.

#473 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

Have you had your blood pressure checked recently?  It might also be cortisol http://survivinganti...ortisol-spikes/

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 28mg (from 3 March 17)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

I've still got a way to go ... but I've already come a long way!!!

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#474 uncomfortablynumb

uncomfortablynumb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

My blood pressure is pretty low-ish 110/70 and HR is 70bpm. Not sure about cortisol levels. Maybe I could do an AM/PM test.

#475 AliG

AliG

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,354 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

UC.

I read through this list. I don't know what would fit the description. It is like constant, unrelenting adrenaline pumping but I am exhausted and mental functioning is becoming really difficult.

That sounds really normal in withdrawal. In fact it's a perfect description. You could do a cortisol test if you felt so inclined. It may be on the high side which is really no revelation. It's to be expected at this point. Maybe it will be better next year. I just had a full blood panel done - my only visit to the doctor and my cortisol has started to come right down from just a year ago.There have been many other improvements as well since I quit the drugs.

Many SSRI's &SSNRI's over 20 years . Zoloft - 7 years .  Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and many more - on and off . No tapering. Cold turkey -  Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Drug free since May, 2014
             "Find a place inside where there's joy and the joy will burn out the pain" - Joseph Campbell

#476 uncomfortablynumb

uncomfortablynumb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thanks AliG, I am really having a rough time. I am desperate for some kind of relief because I am losing it now. I can only imagine what you went through. Psyc gave me three options - clonidine, seroquel, or to tough it out. The remeron reinstatement has not helped at all. I settled on 3.75mg for the past week but it hasn't helped at all.