If you find useful information here, please donate via PayPal. You don't have to be a member. Even $5 will help. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Researchers seek prolonged antidepressant withdrawal cases

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

An Italian researcher is collecting anecdotal case reports of prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome for important research papers now in progress.

Please send your case report immediately -- instructions and an e-mail address are given below. Reports may be in English, French, Spanish, or Italian.

The research effort is led by Dr. Carlotta Belaise, a colleague of Dr. Giovanni A. Fava and frequent co-author with him of scientific papers challenging the long-term use of antidepressants.

Dr. Belaise is a research fellow in the Affective Disorders Program of the department of psychology at the University of Bologna in Italy. Her research team is collecting data on antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, "which we strongly believe is a very important, common and delicate clinical problem."

"A couple of manuscripts on this important issue are in progress."

They also have been gathering anecdotal reports from Web sites such as this one.

Please send your case report immediately in an e-mail (no attachments, please), in this format:

• Your pseudonym (to use if your report is published)
  • The date of this report
  • Your current age
  • Gender (if female, menopausal?)
  • Psychiatric drug history
  • What dates and how did you taper off each medication?
  • Your symptoms in the earlier phase of withdrawal
  • Your current symptoms
  • Which symptoms have gotten better? Which have gotten worse? What treatments have been helpful?
  • Is there anything else you would like to say about withdrawal and withdrawal syndrome?

Your identity will remain confidential. Researchers may contact you through your e-mail address for clarification, if necessary, and possibly for longitudinal follow-up periodically to track your recovery. Your e-mail address will not be used for any other purpose. Your e-mail indicates your consent to be included pseudonymously in these papers.

Send your e-mail to this address:

withdrawal.cases-4.png

For some background information, see http://survivinganti...to-researchers/ If you have questions, send them to me or post them below in this topic.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#2 cinephile

cinephile

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationYour grocer's freezer

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

How wonderful this is! I'm so proud of you Alto. I just KNOW a large inspiration for this study was from you, even if it was indirectly. I just know it. This most be a very emotional time for you. I'm going to print this out and pass it around to people at the convention tomorrow and Sunday.
Been on SSRIs since 1998:
1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses
2005-present: Lexapro.
2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!
APA=FUBAR
FDA=SNAFU
NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg
11/7/10: 13.5 mg
12/7/10: 12.2 mg
1/6/11: 10.9 mg
2/3/11: 9.8 mg
3/3/11: 8.8 mg
4/1/11: 7.8 mg
4/29/11: 7 mg
5/27/11: 6.4 mg
6/24/11: 5.7 mg
7/22/11: 5 mg
8/18/11: 4.5 mg
9/14/11: 4 mg
10/13/11: 3.6 mg
11/9/11: 3.2 mg
12/7/11: 2.6 mg
1/3/12: 2.1 mg
2/2/12: 1.8 mg

#3 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

Thank you, cine. I'm sure many factors converged to make this happen. As for myself, I've been working on this, corresponding with researchers including Dr. Fava, for 5 years. The cases I collected on another site, recently deleted, are a large part of those Dr. Belaise has now.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#4 Baxter

Baxter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationBedford, MA

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:10 AM

Alto - you are a hero. One of the last still working since I came into the online in 2007...Gianna Kali, Philip Dawdy. and others have moved away from the fray. Thank you so much for continuing the battle.
ct Serax and Inderol April 2007
Cymbalta 60mg to 30mg 2007-2010
July 2010 - June 2011 on hiatus due to worsening w/d symptoms
June 2011 - 28mg Cymbalta

#5 cinephile

cinephile

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationYour grocer's freezer

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

Alto - you are a hero. One of the last still working since I came into the online in 2007...Gianna Kali, Philip Dawdy. and others have moved away from the fray. Thank you so much for continuing the battle.

Thank you for saying this. I feel the same way. The thing about Alto is she's consistent AND persistent...even while in withdrawal hell! She has survived so much and done so much. And she's so bright and focused and well-balanced. Really, just an amazing spirit that won't -- CAN'T -- be broken.

Thanks again Alto. We all appreciate what you do. And you do it well.
Been on SSRIs since 1998:
1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses
2005-present: Lexapro.
2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!
APA=FUBAR
FDA=SNAFU
NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg
11/7/10: 13.5 mg
12/7/10: 12.2 mg
1/6/11: 10.9 mg
2/3/11: 9.8 mg
3/3/11: 8.8 mg
4/1/11: 7.8 mg
4/29/11: 7 mg
5/27/11: 6.4 mg
6/24/11: 5.7 mg
7/22/11: 5 mg
8/18/11: 4.5 mg
9/14/11: 4 mg
10/13/11: 3.6 mg
11/9/11: 3.2 mg
12/7/11: 2.6 mg
1/3/12: 2.1 mg
2/2/12: 1.8 mg

#6 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:14 AM

Well, I don't know what to say. :blush: Thank you for the kind words. At least some attention will be paid to all this suffering!

#7 mcsquared

mcsquared

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

I'm wondering if you can provide an outside link for this study so people can ask questions without having to join this community first. I was hoping to spread word of this study to my network but limiting it to people on this community would give a very skewed sample.

#8 squirrel

squirrel

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

My story was on the other site. Would I need to send it again?
Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)
Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.
No other medication taken.

#9 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm wondering if you can provide an outside link for this study so people can ask questions without having to join this community first.
I was hoping to spread word of this study to my network but limiting it to people on this community would give a very skewed sample.

mc2, guests should be able to see the posting, no registration needed. They should be able to use the links as well.

Thank you for your suggestion. I've added a link. Guests may send questions to me.

What questions do you have?

My story was on the other site. Would I need to send it again?

Yes, please, it would be helpful to have the information in the format above.

#10 Phil

Phil

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

Is this only for people who are already off ssris?
Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

#11 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Is this only for people who are already off ssris?

Prolonged withdrawal syndrome follows SSRI discontinuation.

Phil, if you mean people who are having great difficulty tapering off psychiatric drugs -- personally I think those stories are valuable, too. You might send yours in and perhaps it will inspire the researchers to follow another line of inquiry as well.

#12 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

Folks who are new here may not have noticed this. If you have prolonged withdrawal syndrome, please send your case to the researchers.

#13 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Bumping this topic to bring it to everyone's attention. If you would like to post a pointer to this topic on other sites, the short URL is http://tinyurl.com/3zuaxo9

#14 jfrank17

jfrank17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Alto, I see this was posted a year ago. Do you know if they are still collecting stories?
Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001
Medication-free until 2006
In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam
Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)
Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.
Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).
Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)
May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.
July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.
July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.
August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

#15 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

The last I heard, the paper was being reviewed. I'll check to see if they still want cases.

#16 jfrank17

jfrank17

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

I would love to hear what their research has discovered.
Self-tapered off Effexor after being on for 9 years around 2001
Medication-free until 2006
In 2006 went through divorce and placed on Celexa 20 mg and p.r.n. clonazepam
Stayed on 20 mg until 2011 when began cutting in half and taking 10 mg (Didn't really notice withdrawal symptoms)
Began to plan to come off in spring/summer 2012, continuing 10 mg Jan/Feb.
Tapered to 5 mg March/April (about 1 week mild withdrawal symptoms).
Tapered to sliver of tablet, estimated 2-2.5 mg in (1-2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms progressively diminishing and then stopping)
May 18, 2012: Stopped Celexa.
July 5, 2012: Reinstated Celexa at 5 mg.
July 13, 2012: Increased Celexa to 10 mg.
August 30, 2012: Increased Celexa 15 mg.

#17 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,872 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

This paper has just been published. Free access and full text at http://content.karge...roduktNr=223864 Discussion is here http://survivinganti...mood-disorders/