SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ lobster: fight or flight

lobster

Thanks lobster for the info!

So you were on

5mg for 7 months,

2.5 mg for about 6 months,

2.5 to 0 slow taper in 17 months

Since off completely, tough for the first 4 months,

Now you are off for 5 months Windows and waves pattern

This sounds heart hardening, as you were on very low dose for a short time and tapered very slow but still landed rough and sis still ongoing. Do you have any other symptoms except for the sleep issue?

On the other hand, you survived the most difficult phases and I'm sure the waves are on their weak tail, you should be seeing huge improvement and full recovery.

The sleep issue is the biggest one . No sleep last night at all , It's gone from bad to worse . I can hardly function at this point . I just lay there and my body would just twitch and No sleep even though I was tired, at point's through out the night . I don't even yawn now , my body isn't even trying to initialize sleep . My eyes are pretty blurry to now it seems. I have also been having memory issues and pretty foggy head . At this point I'm not even sure if what I'm going threw and have been is WD or something else . I fear at this point there isn't much I can do about it . I closed my eyes last night and tried to sleep , I had a Adrenalin surge and I saw all kinds of visions, bright lights patterns every thing was moving fast . I was aware of my hands tingling to . I knew if I opened my eyes it would stop but I decided to let it go for as long as it would and  see where it went . It went no where,

lasted maybe 10 seconds then just back to black . Weird lol. I thought maybe a seizure but I have the visions some times with out the Adrenalin surge  .  I never had them before 5 years ago . I just wish I could have my old life back , I don't know how much more my body can take of this . 

Lexapro 1 1/8 mg and 10 mg Propranolol. I jumped down to 2.5 mg lexapro from 5 mg on oct 2 where I had been for 7 months and went from 2.5 mg to 1 1/8 mg not sure when maybe around nov 2 went back up to 2.5 mg December 30 . May 13 small cut lexapro 2.5 mg down to 2.4 mg 9/4/14 dropped 8.33% to 2.2 mg 10/13/14 dropped to 2mg lexapro. Back up to 2.2 mg 10/15/14. Dropped to 2 mg lexapro 11/26/14. Dropped 10% to 1.8 mg lexapro 1/11/15. 2/23/15 . Cut of 5%.

3/11/15 cut of 5% 5/3/15 cut of 5% 6/3/15 cut of 5% 7/19/15 cut of 5%. Continued small cuts of 5% every six weeks or so untill October 8th 2016 ,last dose . Last dose was 0.8mg. Currently taking 10 mg propranolol in the afternoon. 1400mg fish oil. 250 mg magnesium, 250 mg L-Taurine, 500 mg Tumeric. 40 mg Zocore simvistatin.

• Mentor

Hi lobster, I'm very sorry you are still struggling!

Trying to figure out where you are right now in terms dose of lex. It seems the last update in your signature says you were still on a tiny dose in 2015.

Are you still taking any of it? What happened since 2015?

I'm in a similar situation, not copping and considering reinstate tiny dose. Would like to know your situation.

Lex

If I recall I went to fast and had to reinstate in 2015 . Then I did slow reductions of 10% then at one point did 5% reductions every six weeks . I have not taken any Lexapro since October 8t 2016 so a little over 5 months . 

from what I've read on here, it's not unusual to have a flare up of symptoms roughly 5-6 mos out after completely stopping the drug.

If you can hold out, I think the symptoms will resolve on their own in time.

Have you been doing anything different lately, like eating foods you don't normally eat, or drinking caffeine (assuming you gave it up at some point) or alcohol or really, just anything different?

I totally relate to the sleep issues, that's been an issue for me for a long time.

I don't know if reinstatement would help your sleep at all, it didn't for me. Reinstatement in Oct helped me with a lot of the other symptoms, but didn't seem to make any difference with sleep.

If I were you, I'd try to talk yourself down as much as you can from the anxiety, look into meditation and mindfulness, and just try to accept that you'll have some nights with disturbed sleep, but trust that  it WILL get better.

the more we stress about a symptom, the worse it seems to get, I think.

I hope a mod comes along with some suggestions, as that's all I've got.  :/

sorry to hear you're having these issues but I really think they'll sort themselves out in time.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

oh no:( I am very sorry, your sleeping/ anxiety issues sound very horrible. I had these symptoms as well going into WD but luckily they vanished after a few months. But I remember very vivedly. Of course a night of no sleep or poor sleep is very hard to handle!!!!

When you say you got diagnosed with PTSD - do you think that's correct, or is it just some lable you got by some doctor? and is it something they told you before or after you started medication and/or WD.

do you think moving would be possible/helpful - or putting more pressure on yourself?

If it's something that sounds appealing than maybe it would be good? If not- than maybe you can try to change your sleeping place a little? change the room, paint it, get new matrazes or a new bed? new bedsheets? just for tricking yourself into feeling like you're in a different place/having a fresh start?

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

oh no:( I am very sorry, your sleeping/ anxiety issues sound very horrible. I had these symptoms as well going into WD but luckily they vanished after a few months. But I remember very vivedly. Of course a night of no sleep or poor sleep is very hard to handle!!!!

When you say you got diagnosed with PTSD - do you think that's correct, or is it just some lable you got by some doctor? and is it something they told you before or after you started medication and/or WD.

do you think moving would be possible/helpful - or putting more pressure on yourself?

Hi lobster, I'm very sorry you are still struggling!

Trying to figure out where you are right now in terms dose of lex. It seems the last update in your signature says you were still on a tiny dose in 2015.

Are you still taking any of it? What happened since 2015?

I'm in a similar situation, not copping and considering reinstate tiny dose. Would like to know your situation.

Lex

If I recall I went to fast and had to reinstate in 2015 . Then I did slow reductions of 10% then at one point did 5% reductions every six weeks . I have not taken any Lexapro since October 8t 2016 so a little over 5 months . 

from what I've read on here, it's not unusual to have a flare up of symptoms roughly 5-6 mos out after completely stopping the drug.

If you can hold out, I think the symptoms will resolve on their own in time.

Have you been doing anything different lately, like eating foods you don't normally eat, or drinking caffeine (assuming you gave it up at some point) or alcohol or really, just anything different?

I totally relate to the sleep issues, that's been an issue for me for a long time.

I don't know if reinstatement would help your sleep at all, it didn't for me. Reinstatement in Oct helped me with a lot of the other symptoms, but didn't seem to make any difference with sleep.

If I were you, I'd try to talk yourself down as much as you can from the anxiety, look into meditation and mindfulness, and just try to accept that you'll have some nights with disturbed sleep, but trust that  it WILL get better.

the more we stress about a symptom, the worse it seems to get, I think.

I hope a mod comes along with some suggestions, as that's all I've got.  :/

sorry to hear you're having these issues but I really think they'll sort themselves out in time.

If it's something that sounds appealing than maybe it would be good? If not- than maybe you can try to change your sleeping place a little? change the room, paint it, get new matrazes or a new bed? new bedsheets? just for tricking yourself into feeling like you're in a different place/having a fresh start?

Lexapro 1 1/8 mg and 10 mg Propranolol. I jumped down to 2.5 mg lexapro from 5 mg on oct 2 where I had been for 7 months and went from 2.5 mg to 1 1/8 mg not sure when maybe around nov 2 went back up to 2.5 mg December 30 . May 13 small cut lexapro 2.5 mg down to 2.4 mg 9/4/14 dropped 8.33% to 2.2 mg 10/13/14 dropped to 2mg lexapro. Back up to 2.2 mg 10/15/14. Dropped to 2 mg lexapro 11/26/14. Dropped 10% to 1.8 mg lexapro 1/11/15. 2/23/15 . Cut of 5%.

3/11/15 cut of 5% 5/3/15 cut of 5% 6/3/15 cut of 5% 7/19/15 cut of 5%. Continued small cuts of 5% every six weeks or so untill October 8th 2016 ,last dose . Last dose was 0.8mg. Currently taking 10 mg propranolol in the afternoon. 1400mg fish oil. 250 mg magnesium, 250 mg L-Taurine, 500 mg Tumeric. 40 mg Zocore simvistatin.

Thank you every one . I haven't changed any thing in my Diet . I don't consume caffeine or any thing like that . I have been having some stress. Sick kid, I have a chest cold not bad though . I have been out side today getting sunshine and things like that :) I guess my main problem now, I missed a night of sleep is, that it will continue and I will spiral out of control end up delirious and die or something like that. I know it's not very rational . In the very beginning I didn't sleep for 3 days and ended up being in observation where they used so many drugs to try and get me to sleep it was a very scary situation and I have severe issues with that, being afraid I will end back there. If I had trust I would eventually pass out, before I went crazy or died then I would be ok it all comes back to fear and it's a vicious cycle and it has ruined my life :(  I also have Hypnic Jumps constantly and that activates the Adrenalin. I really don't want to take any thing for sleep tonight but am afraid of not sleeping again tonight . I feel way to tired and to much Adrenalin to sleep if that makes any sense . I still have sleeping Meds from along time ago I never got rid of but don't want to use them . I never had a problem with sleep until My father passed and I was under huge stress . One night i had my first panic attack ever and it was in my sleep and it snow balled out of control from there and I ended up under observation at a clinic . I feel lost at the moment . Thanks for listening.   

Hi Lobster,

you are not going crazy and you are not going to die from these symptoms. Do you live alone with your kid or you habe a partner on your side?

About the stress: I am off meds a little over a year now and if theres one thing I can't handle at all- it's stress. Any kind of stress???? what I am trying to say: As I understood you are 5 months off meds and you had stress about a sick kid- that's most probably what pushed you into a bad wave. But you know.. this can pass within a few days. That's just WD. drives you crazy and makes you doubt everything when in a wave and gives you great hope when you're in a window. What sometimes helps me when in the middle of horrible anxiety symptoms is that I sort of imagine myself seeing an illusion. Sort of like im a fairy tale or in XMen, when Prof X gets fooled by the lmutant in the weelchair? (maybe you know the movie);)) so I am telling myself- this seems all too real and horrible, but I am save!

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm really sorry you are struggling and glad so many people offered support. When I'm in a similar state the worst thing is fear. I was going to your recent posts and found this one:

Good morning every one. So I went from sleeping decent, to last night of having panic attacks and a little bit of very light sleep with visual hallucinations at sleep onset. I'm really wondering if I should stay the coerce or up dose a little bit? I'm almost seven weeks off lexapro. My last dose was 0.10 milligram and I had been there for 6 weeks, any suggestions would be appreciated thanks ....   

it shows that things got wavy but than you got better again. This seems to be just another wave although a very, very strong one. People can go without any sleep for quite some time. It happens that throughout the night our brain just shuts off for short periods of time without us being aware of it. I also had insomnia and it is one of the worst symptoms but it is important to remember that it can't hurt us the way it feels to us.

When I can't sleep I remember what other fighters here said that they just accept that they won't sleep and decide to just rest and pass the night as peacefully as possible. We once advised meditation and you said that it doesn't agree with your personality. I could say the same but when I'm really desperate I find it very, very agreeable. It seems that as a last resort you put your trust in pills. This still happens to me: if I wake up in the middle of the night in panic my first thought is "i must take more xanax'. But then I remember that there are a lot more beneficial methods. I learnt to trust the meditation to 'save' me. Yu just have to find what works best for you and what suits your personality most. Just give it a try.

I'll put down a few of my favourites: www.calm.com has a few free ones. There is a body scan that takes only 3 mins. It's very grounding and relaxing.

When I had trouble falling asleep this worked:

It helps to hear: here you are safe because i'm just so scared.

There are loads of others and sometimes I would spend the whole night listening one after the other.

When I need to hear the actual calming words I resorted to an incredibly gentle and calm guy called Mooji:

One of the things he says is: don't do anything about it. It's very useful! It will pass and it will pass sooner if we just let it go.

Please try some of this and let us know how it goes. This is a wave. It will pass. Hang in there.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Mentor

that's great advice bubble and it really does work

if you can just try those things, Lobster, I really think it will help get you thru

also, are there any "warm lines" in Maine?
as I understand it, your PTSD is actually from those days when you could not sleep and ended up in hospital?
 if this is true, it may  help you greatly to talk to someone who will understand how traumatic that is to you.

I know resources are bad in ME, as they are here in NH too (although maybe not *as* bad as ME) but there may be some call lines that might give you some reassurance.

I'll look around and see what I can find.

UPDATE: I found this, not sure if it's any good but you might want to give it a try..?

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/samhs/mentalhealth/wellness/warmline.shtml

One thing that has helped me with PTSD is a line from a song, that goes "Once somebody hears, listens to the fear, it's gone"

I try to find someone who is likely to be understanding, and I confide my fears to that person. often I may feel like crying when I do, which is good, it's good to cry and it's good to have empathy or even sympathy for yourself, for what you went thru.

Trauma is a terrible thing; it makes us more vulnerable to stress and anxiety.
You did not deserve what happened to you, and you should not have to suffer this additional pain and fear because of it.

Let yourself feel sorry for yourself, it *may* help get your mind on something besides the fear. That will make you calmer and you can then face the fear head on and realize, it's just a FEELING. it can't hurt you, as much as it seems like it can.

Going without sleep is awful, I know- I have not slept for more than 4 hrs per night for about 6 mos now (ok there's been a few rare occasions when I got a wee bit more than that) it's awful to wake up and be sweating and have those cortisol rushes with the pounding heart beat, I know.

when it happens, try to just take a breath and pay attention to where you feel it in your body. Don't try to fight it, don't get upset about it, if you can manage that (I know, it's hard) watch one of the videos linked in bubble's posts, If nothing else, they will distract you and give you time to talk yourself down and realize that the fear is just another feeling, like all feelings- it will NOT hurt you, you are safe, and the feeling will go away in time.

my heart goes out to you, but please know, you ARE going to get past this, and you ARE going to get back to being able to sleep well again.

tell yourself that over and over again, and let yourself believe it, because it's true. I am so sure of this, I would bet money on it, and I don't have much money, so..! I'm serious.

is there something that you esp enjoy doing? if you do wake up, try to think about the things that bring you joy and fantasize about doing them.

tell yourself that you have this extra time to savor your dreams or to reminisce about happy times, or to read, if you have something you'd enjoy reading.

if you are watching the news or reading newspapers, my advise is, don't!! put them away for awhile. It's too easy for the bad news (which is the only news they report) to take over and add to your fears.

you are just going thru a wave, it will be over soon and you will probably feel even BETTER than you did before this wave. The symptoms mean that your brain is working to put something else back the way it was before you took the drug; chances are good that you are going to be feeling better or thinking more clearly very soon.

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

I'm really sorry you are struggling and glad so many people offered support. When I'm in a similar state the worst thing is fear. I was going to your recent posts and found this one:

Good morning every one. So I went from sleeping decent, to last night of having panic attacks and a little bit of very light sleep with visual hallucinations at sleep onset. I'm really wondering if I should stay the coerce or up dose a little bit? I'm almost seven weeks off lexapro. My last dose was 0.10 milligram and I had been there for 6 weeks, any suggestions would be appreciated thanks ....   

it shows that things got wavy but than you got better again. This seems to be just another wave although a very, very strong one. People can go without any sleep for quite some time. It happens that throughout the night our brain just shuts off for short periods of time without us being aware of it. I also had insomnia and it is one of the worst symptoms but it is important to remember that it can't hurt us the way it feels to us.

When I can't sleep I remember what other fighters here said that they just accept that they won't sleep and decide to just rest and pass the night as peacefully as possible. We once advised meditation and you said that it doesn't agree with your personality. I could say the same but when I'm really desperate I find it very, very agreeable. It seems that as a last resort you put your trust in pills. This still happens to me: if I wake up in the middle of the night in panic my first thought is "i must take more xanax'. But then I remember that there are a lot more beneficial methods. I learnt to trust the meditation to 'save' me. Yu just have to find what works best for you and what suits your personality most. Just give it a try.

I'll put down a few of my favourites: www.calm.com has a few free ones. There is a body scan that takes only 3 mins. It's very grounding and relaxing.

When I had trouble falling asleep this worked:

It helps to hear: here you are safe because i'm just so scared.

There are loads of others and sometimes I would spend the whole night listening one after the other.

When I need to hear the actual calming words I resorted to an incredibly gentle and calm guy called Mooji:

One of the things he says is: don't do anything about it. It's very useful! It will pass and it will pass sooner if we just let it go.

Please try some of this and let us know how it goes. This is a wave. It will pass. Hang in there.

Thank you Bubble :)  I will give the meditation a chance . I fell asleep for a few minutes  in my chair this afternoon and that gave me confidence. We had a wind and snow storm the other night and I had to get up every three hours and keep the generator going . That gave me a lot of anxiety then the next night My son was sick and I had to get up with him in the night . The time changed and messed up my Schedule of when I usually get to bed so I haven't been sleeping great . Throw in the panic attacks in my sleep and then me having a sore throat and sore chest , not sleeping at all last night it was almost more then I could handle . I fell a little better after the 10 minute nap in my chair even if I did wake up with heart palpitations . Thanks again I really appreciate it and every one that has helped me today :) You made me not feel alone and that is very important to me.  

that's great advice bubble and it really does work

if you can just try those things, Lobster, I really think it will help get you thru

also, are there any "warm lines" in Maine?

as I understand it, your PTSD is actually from those days when you could not sleep and ended up in hospital?

if this is true, it may  help you greatly to talk to someone who will understand how traumatic that is to you.

I know resources are bad in ME, as they are here in NH too (although maybe not *as* bad as ME) but there may be some call lines that might give you some reassurance.

I'll look around and see what I can find.

UPDATE: I found this, not sure if it's any good but you might want to give it a try..?

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/samhs/mentalhealth/wellness/warmline.shtml

One thing that has helped me with PTSD is a line from a song, that goes "Once somebody hears, listens to the fear, it's gone"

I try to find someone who is likely to be understanding, and I confide my fears to that person. often I may feel like crying when I do, which is good, it's good to cry and it's good to have empathy or even sympathy for yourself, for what you went thru.

Trauma is a terrible thing; it makes us more vulnerable to stress and anxiety.

You did not deserve what happened to you, and you should not have to suffer this additional pain and fear because of it.

Let yourself feel sorry for yourself, it *may* help get your mind on something besides the fear. That will make you calmer and you can then face the fear head on and realize, it's just a FEELING. it can't hurt you, as much as it seems like it can.

Going without sleep is awful, I know- I have not slept for more than 4 hrs per night for about 6 mos now (ok there's been a few rare occasions when I got a wee bit more than that) it's awful to wake up and be sweating and have those cortisol rushes with the pounding heart beat, I know.

when it happens, try to just take a breath and pay attention to where you feel it in your body. Don't try to fight it, don't get upset about it, if you can manage that (I know, it's hard) watch one of the videos linked in bubble's posts, If nothing else, they will distract you and give you time to talk yourself down and realize that the fear is just another feeling, like all feelings- it will NOT hurt you, you are safe, and the feeling will go away in time.

my heart goes out to you, but please know, you ARE going to get past this, and you ARE going to get back to being able to sleep well again.

tell yourself that over and over again, and let yourself believe it, because it's true. I am so sure of this, I would bet money on it, and I don't have much money, so..! I'm serious.

is there something that you esp enjoy doing? if you do wake up, try to think about the things that bring you joy and fantasize about doing them.

tell yourself that you have this extra time to savor your dreams or to reminisce about happy times, or to read, if you have something you'd enjoy reading.

if you are watching the news or reading newspapers, my advise is, don't!! put them away for awhile. It's too easy for the bad news (which is the only news they report) to take over and add to your fears.

you are just going thru a wave, it will be over soon and you will probably feel even BETTER than you did before this wave. The symptoms mean that your brain is working to put something else back the way it was before you took the drug; chances are good that you are going to be feeling better or thinking more clearly very soon.

Thank you for every thing and the words of encouragement, I really appreciate it  :) I don't have the cortisol mornings any more I did in the beginning 5 years ago and it made me sick . I have hyper vigilance  every time I start to fall asleep I'm jolted awake I have for the most part gotten used to it and can sleep at night , not so much if it's a nap . I have to wonder if its from an Adrenal and cortisol  depletion now . In the beginning it would have been to much Adrenalin but now after these years and constant stress I wonder if its depleted. If I could get the palpitations to stop when I start falling asleep I wouldn't have much of an issue . That's what started it all in the beginning , I didn't know what was happening to me and I thought I was never going to sleep again . I really think if I could fix that one issue there wouldn't be to much of a problem  .   

Hi Lobster,

you are not going crazy and you are not going to die from these symptoms. Do you live alone with your kid or you habe a partner on your side?

About the stress: I am off meds a little over a year now and if theres one thing I can't handle at all- it's stress. Any kind of stress what I am trying to say: As I understood you are 5 months off meds and you had stress about a sick kid- that's most probably what pushed you into a bad wave. But you know.. this can pass within a few days. That's just WD. drives you crazy and makes you doubt everything when in a wave and gives you great hope when you're in a window. What sometimes helps me when in the middle of horrible anxiety symptoms is that I sort of imagine myself seeing an illusion. Sort of like im a fairy tale or in XMen, when Prof X gets fooled by the lmutant in the weelchair? (maybe you know the movie) ;)) so I am telling myself- this seems all too real and horrible, but I am save!

Thank you for the words of encouragement   :)  My wife is my savior . Yes it was the stress, of time change , sick kid , me being sick, up in the middle of the night, running the generator because a storm took out our power . I am feeling better . I long for the days that I can handle stress again, to a certain degree with out coming unglued :)   

Hi every one . I'm still struggling with sleep and looking for advice . I have slept maybe a total of 5 hours in the last 4 days and not at all last night . It's becoming more allusive and I just cant sleep . I'm starting to have micro sleeps and spacing out. Every thing is becoming very unclear . I'm not sure what to do at this point . keep riding it out and see where this leads or try and do something about it, any help is appreciated. It's like my mind just wont shut off . I'm not the sleepy kind of tired if that makes any sense. Also as I suffer with anxiety almost Daley, for what ever reason this is the best I have felt in along time, with regards to the anxiety.   

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Lobster.

Sorry to hear you are struggling with the sleep issue.  I know that feeling very well and had a run just like yours last spring -- 4 or 5 days with an hour or two max. Crazy stuff and really leaves you feeling pretty awful.

The good news is that lack of sleep will make you feel like crap but it won't kill you.  In addition, some interesting studies have been done that indicate that the microsleep you get that doesn't feel very good or refreshing (and you don't even know for sure you got) does, in fact, do a lot to preserve and protect your critical organs and brain function.

What are you doing from an overall sleep hygiene standpoint?  I.e., what is your sleeping environment like -- cool, dark (blackout shades)?  Do you stay off computer equipment after dinner?  Etc., etc.  Please let us know about this as it can make a huge difference.  Have you tried the basics like 1 mg of melatonin to try to "reset" the circadian clock?

Please let us know what your routines, etc. are and we may be able to provide some more suggestions.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thanks  :) I go to bed early because I get up early . Dark room no TV , I use a fan for the air and sound . I do use my lap top, with the light turned down usually fairly close to bed time, to distract my mind off of every thing maybe I shouldn't . I have not used Melatonin in years, but I still have some if it doesn't expire . I live on an Island and we only have a little store that does not carry things like that . I'm very spacey right now and am having a hard time keeping focus for very long at all . This started a little while ago. I had to stay up and keep my generator going for the house because of a storm and after that night, it's progressed . Last night I laid in bed all night and my wife said I snored a couple times then a jolt brought me to and that's all the sleep I got . I have had a very bad chest virus to that I'm pretty much over . I'm having a hard time writing  this . I can't remember what I started with in the beginning of the conversation lol. I have never lost this much sleep . Even when my son was a new born .Thanks for the help, Oh how much Melatonin and at what time of day should i use it ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

The lack of sleep you get when your child is newborn cannot be compared to the lack of sleep from drug withdrawal.  That stems from a positive event and the "good" adrenaline and positivity surrounding it allows you to deal with the sleep deprivation in a favorable manner.  There is no positive tied to drug-related insomnia.  It just makes you feel like crap so there's no reason to try to compare.  

I (and many of us) are all too familiar with the "hypnic jerks" that come as your head is about to hit the pillow and leave you bolt upright with adrenaline coursing through your veins.  It's not a pleasant situation but rest assured that you are not alone and this will pass.  

Taking about 1mg of melatonin about 2 hours before bedtime is worth a shot in my view.  Melatonin may be just enough to get you over the threshold into sleep and give you some relief.  It is NOT however a magic pill.  It is something to take a couple of times a week in my view, as regular and unabated use leads to a paradoxical stimulation of the CNS in some people. In addition, if the body gets too reliant on any external source to help it sleep, there is a dependency that forms and standalone sleep gets that much harder.

Given where you are, I would try it and see if it helps.  I would imagine that your body will come to a point where it needs sleep badly enough that it will overcome the jerking and other things preventing sleep and you will get some relief.

Keep us posted. and try not to get second fear over sleep.  That was the worst -- being afraid of the bed.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Mentor

info on melatonin and the best dose etc

0.3mgs is the best dose, they think- and should not be used regularly

http://news.mit.edu/2001/melatonin-1017

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/melatonin-dosage-and-risks_us_56deff8ce4b03a40567a1e1e

• Moderator Emeritus

0.3mgs is the best dose, they think- and should not be used regularly

The lowest dose that can be effective is worth trying.  Most people do not have .3 melatonin available to them as it usually comes in 1mg or 3mg (or more).  I used to use that as advice, but I think if you can find it in 1mg that is decent place to start.

See the following from the Mayo Clinic (indicating different mg usages for different sleep related disturbances).

Bottom line is it is an art -- not a science.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/melatonin/dosing/hrb-20059770

Best,

Andy

The lack of sleep you get when your child is newborn cannot be compared to the lack of sleep from drug withdrawal.  That stems from a positive event and the "good" adrenaline and positivity surrounding it allows you to deal with the sleep deprivation in a favorable manner.  There is no positive tied to drug-related insomnia.  It just makes you feel like crap so there's no reason to try to compare.  

I (and many of us) are all too familiar with the "hypnic jerks" that come as your head is about to hit the pillow and leave you bolt upright with adrenaline coursing through your veins.  It's not a pleasant situation but rest assured that you are not alone and this will pass.  

Taking about 1mg of melatonin about 2 hours before bedtime is worth a shot in my view.  Melatonin may be just enough to get you over the threshold into sleep and give you some relief.  It is NOT however a magic pill.  It is something to take a couple of times a week in my view, as regular and unabated use leads to a paradoxical stimulation of the CNS in some people. In addition, if the body gets too reliant on any external source to help it sleep, there is a dependency that forms and standalone sleep gets that much harder.

Given where you are, I would try it and see if it helps.  I would imagine that your body will come to a point where it needs sleep badly enough that it will overcome the jerking and other things preventing sleep and you will get some relief.

Keep us posted. and try not to get second fear over sleep.  That was the worst -- being afraid of the bed.

Best,

Andy

Thanks, I have been in this situation before and always reached for meds . I took them until I realized I was sleeping some naturally and vowed not to take any thing again That was over two years ago now. The first night was a little rough but I did sleep and my sleep kept improving . This time how ever I have not take any thing and gone this long with this little sleep and am a little nervous of taking something for sleep,  if I am sleeping natural even if for a few minutes.I don't want that feeling of dependency  But I may have to. I feel like I have gone to long with out sleep and may not be able to initiate sleep it's like I'm to tired to sleep . I'm not afraid of the bed but afraid of not sleeping , Thanks .

• Mentor

Bottom line is it is an art -- not a science.

oh I agree, I think all of medicine is both art and science

yes, you need to get like a 1mg tablet and cut it up to get the smaller dose (that's what I did) but I didn't see any benefit at all. too afraid to try a higher dose :/

• Moderator Emeritus

This time how ever I have not take any thing and gone this long with this little sleep and am a little nervous of taking something for sleep,  if I am sleeping natural even if for a few minutes.I don't want that feeling of dependency  But I may have to. I feel like I have gone to long with out sleep and may not be able to initiate sleep it's like I'm to tired to sleep . 

I think it important to distinguish between "taking something to make you sleep" and "taking something to encourage your body to produce the chemicals it produces for sleep,"  Ambien, Lunesta and the Z drugs generally, as well as the antihistamines and benzodiazepines all fall into the former category and are destined to create a long-term problem.  Melatonin is in the latter category and, taken on occasion, at very low doses, should not lead to the kind of dependency you rightfully fear.

Best,

Andy

I have 3mg, but the bottle says it expired a couple years ago, they have been in the medicine cabinet and I can't get any for a while . I'm not sure if that is really an issue or not?  I could cut the pills if need be. 

• Mentor

I have 3mg, but the bottle says it expired a couple years ago, they have been in the medicine cabinet and I can't get any for a while . I'm not sure if that is really an issue or not?  I could cut the pills if need be. 

I have no idea if expired melatonin is any good, but if you want to PM me your address I can send you a brand new bottle, I got two by mistake. It's Nature's Bounty brand, 1mg and it's a pretty good sized tablet so it can be cut up into pcs if you wish to do that.

if you'd rather not give some random person on the forum your address, I understand.

I can go to the PO tomorrow.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would say that Catnapt's FREE bottle of melatonin sounds pretty good, but that the attached article seems to suggest that 90% of all meds are still good 15 years after their purported expiration date.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/drug-expiration-dates-do-they-mean-anything

I can't say for sure if it will work as well as a brand new bottle but I highly doubt it would have any adverse effect.  Cutting off a small piece to try (given that it is 3mg)  would seem like an option.

Best,

Andy

This time how ever I have not take any thing and gone this long with this little sleep and am a little nervous of taking something for sleep,  if I am sleeping natural even if for a few minutes.I don't want that feeling of dependency  But I may have to. I feel like I have gone to long with out sleep and may not be able to initiate sleep it's like I'm to tired to sleep . 

I think it important to distinguish between "taking something to make you sleep" and "taking something to encourage your body to produce the chemicals it produces for sleep,"  Ambien, Lunesta and the Z drugs generally, as well as the antihistamines and benzodiazepines all fall into the former category and are destined to create a long-term problem.  Melatonin is in the latter category and, taken on occasion, at very low doses, should not lead to the kind of dependency you rightfully fear.

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy . I have taken Xanax , Ellivil , trazadone, seraquil , rispidolol, zyprexa. In the past but only for a very short time and I would switch because I didn't want a dependency and I didn't end up with one . You can maybe see why I'm nervous about taking any thing again . Melatonin I'm more comfortable with because it's a natural thing in the body . They wanted me to take Xanax for a couple months and I refused . It did how ever help me the best for sleep . I would take it one night and sleep that would give me the courage to not use it the next night . That is what gave me the edge to get out of that mess . I knew I had something then to help if I needed it . These DR's in the beginning kept throwing things at me to see if any thing would stick. This was all with in a very short time  they had me cycling through meds  . I haven't taken them in years and have been fine . I have been off lexapro now 5 months and the Insomnia is back with a vengeance.  

• Mentor

oh I'm sorry, the ones I have are 1mg-

I have no idea if expired melatonin is any good, but if you want to PM me your address I can send you a brand new bottle, I got two by mistake. It's Nature's Bounty brand, 1mg and it's a pretty good sized tablet so it can be cut up into pcs if you wish to do that.

if you'd rather not give some random person on the forum your address, I understand.

I can go to the PO tomorrow.

That is very Generous of you and I appreciate it . I have no problem with you having my address . I can get some in a couple days . I was more a less wondering about trying it tonight and see if it works . I think the ones I have will work even though they are a little old . there 3mg so I guess cut them in quarters ? math is not my strong suit and with no sleep I can't think lol. 

• Moderator Emeritus

They wanted me to take Xanax for a couple months and I refused . It did how ever help me the best for sleep . I would take it one night and sleep that would give me the courage to not use it the next night . That is what gave me the edge to get out of that mess . I knew I had something then to help if I needed it . 

We on the site would never endorse as a position of SA taking a benzo for sleep (or for any other reason), HOWEVER, there are plenty of stories of people who have successfully used a benzo on a limited basis to allow them to move their taper of an SSRI forward when nothing else allowed them to do so.  Similarly, if someone had not gotten sleep in a week and came to me saying that Xanax helped them sleep in the past and they wanted to try it on a one night basis just to get their body some sleep, who am I to tell them "no"?  

You do what you have to do when you are dealing with psychotropic meds.  Nobody can tell you that dose of Xanax will hurt you, so long as you recognize nobody can tell you it won't.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

. I think the ones I have will work even though they are a little old . there 3mg so I guess cut them in quarters ? math is not my strong suit and with no sleep I can't think lol. 

One quarter would be .75 so if you decide to try it that's where I would start.

Best,

Andy

T

I would say that Catnapt's FREE bottle of melatonin sounds pretty good, but that the attached article seems to suggest that 90% of all meds are still good 15 years after their purported expiration date.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/drug-expiration-dates-do-they-mean-anything

I can't say for sure if it will work as well as a brand new bottle but I highly doubt it would have any adverse effect.  Cutting off a small piece to try (given that it is 3mg)  would seem like an option.

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy . Quarter it or still less?

They wanted me to take Xanax for a couple months and I refused . It did how ever help me the best for sleep . I would take it one night and sleep that would give me the courage to not use it the next night . That is what gave me the edge to get out of that mess . I knew I had something then to help if I needed it . 

We on the site would never endorse as a position of SA taking a benzo for sleep (or for any other reason), HOWEVER, there are plenty of stories of people who have successfully used a benzo on a limited basis to allow them to move their taper of an SSRI forward when nothing else allowed them to do so.  Similarly, if someone had not gotten sleep in a week and came to me saying that Xanax helped them sleep in the past and they wanted to try it on a one night basis just to get their body some sleep, who am I to tell them "no"?  

You do what you have to do when you are dealing with psychotropic meds.  Nobody can tell you that dose of Xanax will hurt you, so long as you recognize nobody can tell you it won't.

Best,

Andy

Thanks . Xanax did nothing for anxiety only sleep for me . Even in the beginning I had to take 1mg or 2 for that and I had never touched a benzo or any thing like it in my life prior . I was very careful with it because I was so afraid of a dependency, I think things like that can be a use full tool if and I state if used very careful. In the beginning my central nervous system was so activated I had sleep jumps non stop and wouldn't sleep period . the xanax calmed the sleep jumps and I could sleep.  But like I said I would get one night sleep and then go with out it the next night and so on . I would try something else as not to get hooked on one particular thing at least that was my theory.

. I think the ones I have will work even though they are a little old . there 3mg so I guess cut them in quarters ? math is not my strong suit and with no sleep I can't think lol. 

One quarter would be .75 so if you decide to try it that's where I would start.

Best,

Andy

I'll try it tonight and see what happens .

• Moderator Emeritus

Keep us posted, Lobster.  Good luck with it.

I am a big proponent of rotating things if you find something that helps.  That includes nights off in the mix.  

Best,

Andy

Keep us posted, Lobster.  Good luck with it.

I am a big proponent of rotating things if you find something that helps.  That includes nights off in the mix.  

Best,

Andy

Hers an update Andy . So I took some Melatonin at 6PM last night and by 7PM I was starting to get a little tired . I finally yawned which I hadn't done in days . I went to bed at 8PM fell a sleep with out to much difficulty . Slept until 12AM, woke up and couldn't get right back to sleep . Think I fell back asleep around 1.30AM  then slept until 4.30 AM and got up , some cortisol not bad . I have a headache and my chest and Throat are on fire from what I would assume would be snoring from not hardly sleeping lately . Some of what might be going on is, I have been sick with a very bad cold , sore throat fever and all that stuff , Completely lost my appetite and I eat terribly, I need to change that. A lot of carbs things like that .So I have been pretty much fasting minus liquids , I have been forcing food just to eat something .    So maybe the fact I have been fasting and the Cold plus some anxiety is what has been contributing to my sleeping problems as of late on top of the WD from the lexapro . I made my self eat more food yesterday and drink more things, to just to kind of see if that would make me tired . So bottom line, I did sleep better last night . Thanks Andy for your help it's appreciated . 

• Mentor

Completely lost my appetite and I eat terribly, I need to change that. A lot of carbs things like that .So I have been pretty much fasting minus liquids , I have been forcing food just to eat something .  

so glad you had a better night!

Oh, yes, not eating well can really affect your sleep. I am a vegan but to get thru this WD I've been eating fish once or twice a week and have eaten other meats occasionally and I've noticed I generally have a better night on those days.

I bet things will turn around for you now, and each night will get better and better. :)

Completely lost my appetite and I eat terribly, I need to change that. A lot of carbs things like that .So I have been pretty much fasting minus liquids , I have been forcing food just to eat something .  

so glad you had a better night!

Oh, yes, not eating well can really affect your sleep. I am a vegan but to get thru this WD I've been eating fish once or twice a week and have eaten other meats occasionally and I've noticed I generally have a better night on those days.

I bet things will turn around for you now, and each night will get better and better. :)

I fell more tired to day lol, I think its because my body may be crashing down from every thing and relaxing . My cold is better finally and the swelling in my throat and stuff is gone .  Yes I believe the not eating because of no appetite from every thing hurt my sleep . I think your right about getting better . I took Melatonin last night but I think I dosed off a little just after taking it, so I probably could have done with out it  . My wife says I look like wreck lol, I feel like ten miles of bad road .. But still better then I have  :)

• Mentor

aww, well, you'll be feeling *and* looking better soon enough

I have tried stuff for sleep (valerian, L theanine, etc) and I'm never sure if they helped or if I was just going to have a better night that night anyway.

I think of all of the things I've tried, the valerian seems to have a real effect, but it's more of a relaxation, not a "put you to sleep" like a sleep med would.