☼ lobster: fight or flight

lobster

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear you got some sleep, Lobster.  Sometimes all it takes is one night to turn things in the right direction.

Let's hope it keeps on the upswing from here.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Good Morning every one. Things have gone from bad to worse. I've had a complete brake down . I slept for an hour and a half , then had a horrible dream of Fatal Insomnia and couldn't tell if what I was feeling was reality or not and couldn't stop feeling numb all over and still believing that I had it . Couldn't get back to sleep at all . My head heart so bad from lack of sleep I really thought it was going to explode , I broke down and took some seraquil and got very little sleep after. In between all this My son had had problems in his sleep just like what started me on my road to hell . I can't help him If I don't understand and know how to fix my self . I cant loose any more sleep . Thinking of checking into a clinic or mental health place. We need help but I don't know how to go about it . He says When he's starting to sleep something panics him in his sleep and his head feels hollow inside . My first episode was a Jolt and I felt like I was literally standing inside my head . That was 5 years ago and I have never gotten a Handel on it and it's killing me .  He is very  fragile  right now and this needs to be handled quickly and effectively so he doesn't end up like me and that's what I fear . How can he have the same things happen to him in his sleep as me? He knows I have issues but has no real ideas of what it has been and now he has the same thing or definitely seems that way . I'm at wits end I can't live like this any more and Just need some relief and help . Any help would be appreciated .       

Lexapro 1 1/8 mg and 10 mg Propranolol. I jumped down to 2.5 mg lexapro from 5 mg on oct 2 where I had been for 7 months and went from 2.5 mg to 1 1/8 mg not sure when maybe around nov 2 went back up to 2.5 mg December 30 . May 13 small cut lexapro 2.5 mg down to 2.4 mg 9/4/14 dropped 8.33% to 2.2 mg 10/13/14 dropped to 2mg lexapro. Back up to 2.2 mg 10/15/14. Dropped to 2 mg lexapro 11/26/14. Dropped 10% to 1.8 mg lexapro 1/11/15. 2/23/15 . Cut of 5%.

3/11/15 cut of 5% 5/3/15 cut of 5% 6/3/15 cut of 5% 7/19/15 cut of 5%. Continued small cuts of 5% every six weeks or so untill October 8th 2016 ,last dose . Last dose was 0.8mg. Currently taking 10 mg propranolol in the afternoon. 1400mg fish oil. 250 mg magnesium, 250 mg L-Taurine, 500 mg Tumeric. 40 mg Zocore simvistatin.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lobster,

Sorry you had a rough night.  I would be better positioned to help you but I'm pretty sure I had less than your hour and a half last night!  The problem with this whole insomnia thing is that it is rather unpredictable.  You think you are on the upswing and, BAM, you get knocked back down.  I will say, however, that my experience, and something shared by many on this board, is that when you are "coming out" of an insomnia period, it is not uncommon to have days go back and forth with sleep/little sleep for a while before you reregulate.  I would try not to overreact to this bad night since it came after a good one Monday night.  Hopefully, you will have another good one tonight.  Try not to panic about the lack of sleep -- it is not hurting you as much as your panic about it is.

I don't know if you posted your son's age -- if you did I forgot it.  If he is on the young side, it is not uncommon for them to have some night terrors and other nightmares that they outgrow.  I don't want to try to make too many suggestions since I don't know the situation well enough.  Perhaps he should see a doctor?

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi there Lobster, 

seems like many people are having a rough time at the moment:( Sometimes I can´t help but wonder if there are some cosmic things going on making it harder to deal with ones symptoms. 
Anyway - concerning yourself: If you feel like you can´t handle the situation AL ALL any more it might be better to get help but to be honest - you´ll probably be put on who knows what pills if you go to a psychiatric clinic. In the depths of my WD I sometimes thought about staying at a clinic but I was so scared that they´d put me on pills that I hung in there. Maybe you could take a cure for a week or two? I don´t know how your financial situation is like, but if this would be a possibility for you then you could get a few days of "Vacation". Distance from your house, your bedroom, the people you feel obligated to etc? As for other tipps I can just say: Sit, breathe, take one step at a time but I know how overwhelming all of this can feel.

As for your sons story: Do you talk to your son and explain to him, what you are going through? Tell him that is´t not his fault that you´re not feeling well and all of that? I know that might be hard, admitting "weakness" to him but my father had severe depression and all kinds of psychological troubles but he NEVER told me about them. They where pretty obvious, sometimes he would´t even react to me any more, but still, as a teenager I had no idea what was going on with him. I wish he had told be because not knowing made me feel guilty and as if I was not being a good enough kid and I think as a kid you ALWAYS WANT BEST FOR YOUR PARENTS and then maybe you stat feeling similar things because you just love them so much. 
But that does not mean that he will go through the same things and hell yes I think you can help him even if you haven´t resolved your issues yet! Just knowing that you´re not alone with this i helpful. And even if you can´t help yourself from time to time, you can give him some advice on how to react in these situation. Everybody needs guiders:) Even psychologists need supervision. 

I really hope that everything will turn out to be easer soon:)))) 
Wishing you all the best, keep us postet! 

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

Lobster,

Sorry you had a rough night.  I would be better positioned to help you but I'm pretty sure I had less than your hour and a half last night!  The problem with this whole insomnia thing is that it is rather unpredictable.  You think you are on the upswing and, BAM, you get knocked back down.  I will say, however, that my experience, and something shared by many on this board, is that when you are "coming out" of an insomnia period, it is not uncommon to have days go back and forth with sleep/little sleep for a while before you reregulate.  I would try not to overreact to this bad night since it came after a good one Monday night.  Hopefully, you will have another good one tonight.  Try not to panic about the lack of sleep -- it is not hurting you as much as your panic about it is.

I don't know if you posted your son's age -- if you did I forgot it.  If he is on the young side, it is not uncommon for them to have some night terrors and other nightmares that they outgrow.  I don't want to try to make too many suggestions since I don't know the situation well enough.  Perhaps he should see a doctor?

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy . He is 15 and having the exact same things as what happened to me 5 years ago . He keeps getting jolted awake when hes drifting off to sleep because he keeps getting that feeling . I haven't been able to fix my self so I can't help him . If I had to guess with my self, there is a problem between rem and deep sleep . I really don't know what to do . 

Lexapro 1 1/8 mg and 10 mg Propranolol. I jumped down to 2.5 mg lexapro from 5 mg on oct 2 where I had been for 7 months and went from 2.5 mg to 1 1/8 mg not sure when maybe around nov 2 went back up to 2.5 mg December 30 . May 13 small cut lexapro 2.5 mg down to 2.4 mg 9/4/14 dropped 8.33% to 2.2 mg 10/13/14 dropped to 2mg lexapro. Back up to 2.2 mg 10/15/14. Dropped to 2 mg lexapro 11/26/14. Dropped 10% to 1.8 mg lexapro 1/11/15. 2/23/15 . Cut of 5%.

3/11/15 cut of 5% 5/3/15 cut of 5% 6/3/15 cut of 5% 7/19/15 cut of 5%. Continued small cuts of 5% every six weeks or so untill October 8th 2016 ,last dose . Last dose was 0.8mg. Currently taking 10 mg propranolol in the afternoon. 1400mg fish oil. 250 mg magnesium, 250 mg L-Taurine, 500 mg Tumeric. 40 mg Zocore simvistatin.

Hi there Lobster, 

seems like many people are having a rough time at the moment:( Sometimes I can´t help but wonder if there are some cosmic things going on making it harder to deal with ones symptoms. 

Anyway - concerning yourself: If you feel like you can´t handle the situation AL ALL any more it might be better to get help but to be honest - you´ll probably be put on who knows what pills if you go to a psychiatric clinic. In the depths of my WD I sometimes thought about staying at a clinic but I was so scared that they´d put me on pills that I hung in there. Maybe you could take a cure for a week or two? I don´t know how your financial situation is like, but if this would be a possibility for you then you could get a few days of "Vacation". Distance from your house, your bedroom, the people you feel obligated to etc? As for other tipps I can just say: Sit, breathe, take one step at a time but I know how overwhelming all of this can feel.

As for your sons story: Do you talk to your son and explain to him, what you are going through? Tell him that is´t not his fault that you´re not feeling well and all of that? I know that might be hard, admitting "weakness" to him but my father had severe depression and all kinds of psychological troubles but he NEVER told me about them. They where pretty obvious, sometimes he would´t even react to me any more, but still, as a teenager I had no idea what was going on with him. I wish he had told be because not knowing made me feel guilty and as if I was not being a good enough kid and I think as a kid you ALWAYS WANT BEST FOR YOUR PARENTS and then maybe you stat feeling similar things because you just love them so much. 

But that does not mean that he will go through the same things and hell yes I think you can help him even if you haven´t resolved your issues yet! Just knowing that you´re not alone with this i helpful. And even if you can´t help yourself from time to time, you can give him some advice on how to react in these situation. Everybody needs guiders:) Even psychologists need supervision. 

I really hope that everything will turn out to be easer soon:)))) 

Wishing you all the best, keep us postet! 

Thank you . We do talk and he does know that I have problems but I have never told him about exactly what my sleep issues are, as I didn't want him to think he had what I have . The bottom line is We need medication or something to calm the central nervous system down as it never settles down for me . I'm 5 years out and cant even nap because of hyper vigilance and sleep jumps. I know it's all in the mind but when you have the body going rouge and doing what ever the mind follows . My central nervous system hasn't settled down in 5 years . His is doing the same thing , He's flying on Adrenalin right now and hasn't slept and that will continue until he can see that he can sleep and not have that happen in the beginning of his sleep and I don't know how to get there from here. In the beginning of my issues I hadn't slept in days, they almost killed me with the amount of meds they gave me, trying to get me to sleep because my Adrenalin was over riding it   

Hm. What have you tried so far - other than medication - to get better? I am sorry, for sure you have written it somewhere in your thread but I can´t read through everything now:) Maybe you want to tell me. 
And did medication ever do some good for you (because so say "we need medication or or something")? I know, it totally is the worst when your body just does stuff, seems like whatever he wants and knowing that it´s all in your mind simply does´t always help. 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Hm. What have you tried so far - other than medication - to get better? I am sorry, for sure you have written it somewhere in your thread but I can´t read through everything now:) Maybe you want to tell me. 

And did medication ever do some good for you (because so say "we need medication or or something")? I know, it totally is the worst when your body just does stuff, seems like whatever he wants and knowing that it´s all in your mind simply does´t always help. 

I have tried therapy and it did nothing They gave me no answers and didn't understand. My whole problem is the disturbances in my sleep. My body feels like I shouldn't sleep and it doesn't let me . That became fear of not sleeping . When things are calm I can sleep in one place in my house and that's it . Every other place I wake after a few minutes with racing heart and that has been every time for 5 years . My central nervous system is hyper active all the time and wont slow down . The longer I go with out sleep and the more days that go by the better my anxiety feels almost non existence.   

Wow, that truly sounds awful I am very sorry that you have to deal with this! Ok, so you already had these issues before you started medication but they did not change anything? Within these 5 years there where no Ups or Downs? Always the same amount of restlessness? Did I get that right? You feel "better", less anxious the less you sleep? What kind of therapy did you go to? Have you tried all those recommended things here like meditation, autogenic training, yoga, herbals, stuff like that? Have you hears about CBD oil? I guess you must have tried many things by now ...

• Mentor

is there any chance you both could have a sleep study done?

not only would this give you a different place to sleep, it *might* show that you are getting more sleep than you think, so you could relax a bit about that, and it might show some cause that can be treated.

I know for me, I still sleep very little, however, I am now not so acutely aware of the passing of time.
Early on in WD, I was so aware of every single minute, and so anxious, those long nights were just awful and seemed even longer.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Lobster. As one who has been through the gamut in regard to sleep deprivation in withdrawal, I would say grab a wink wherever you can if at all possible. It doesn't really matter where. It's a case of whatever works. If you can sleep in one place then that's what you may have to do even though it maybe less than desirable.

When things are calm I can sleep in one place in my house and that's it . 

What non- drug techniques have you tried so far ? We need to know this in order to offer further suggestions.

Have you tried Melatonin? I had some measure of success with it in re- jigging my sleep cycle. I found the main thing was to accept and stay calm as much as possible. Worrying and stressing just exacerbates the whole process and delays progress.

Acceptance and a calm attitude is key to healing. Try not to get too worked up about this and you will probably find that eventually it starts to revert back to normal pattern. It can take some time and patience but ultimately it's worth it in the long run.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5873-mindfulness-and-acceptance/ 

I have found these guided meditations etc helpful at times :  Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

My biggest issue Is being afraid of not sleeping . In the beginning I had a issue between rem and deep sleep . I'm sure it was from stress and anxiety . Since that time it has consumed me . I can sleep in one place because I over came things in that room it was my safe spot .I learned that if I lay through all the sleep jumps and things eventually I would sleep .

Now since I have been off lexapro for 5 months It's more then that  . In the beginning it was just sleep jumps and that was a big deal but I dealt with them and under stood what was happening . Through WD I have gone from just sleep jumps to visual things in my early stage sleep . My sleep has progressively gotten worse since I stopped lexaro in October . I have lost that safe spot because of every thing going on and now I'm just not sleeping .

I actually feel better with out any sleep it's like my brain is more calm and I'm not obsessing about sleep , but my body is screaming . I have tried Melatonin and I'm working on breathing exercises and Meditation some  .I wish I could find a sleep clinic that specializes in these kinds of areas . I keep saying stay up until your body cant Handel that any more then that gives me anxiety . I feel so sick and my body and mind are  loosing the battle .

Then add my son is going through this now i can't hardly cope . I, We need to get a handle on this . I took seraquil around 2.30 AM last night and slept for a couple hours of terrible sleep . Today around 10 I fell asleep in my chair for a few Minutes , I would say that wasn't because of the seaquil from 2.30AM? It makes me very happy to know that was maybe natural sleep and I had any sleep issues for that few minutes .

I'm trying to get a sleep study for me and my son . There isn't much doubt in my mind all my problems are from anxiety about not sleeping. It's been 5 years and this is on my mind every day not a day has gone by in 5 years I don't think about not sleeping . 

Edited by AliG
added paragraph breaks

mhm, well it sounds to me like you need someone who can give you professional guidance therapy-wise. It does´t have to be classical Talking Therapy but you need someone who can handle your amount of troubles so that you can get some relief. 
It took me a while as well to find therapists who I can trust and who I work well with. Have you only seen one person? You could try someone else or a different sort of therapy? I think people here can only help in a way of sharing their troubles or understanding, but it makes a huge difference, meeting someone in person, talking, exercising different methods. There must be therapists specialized on insomnia, seeing issues/anxiety. I mean you already know you´re obsessing about your sleep troubles - so there´s gotta be a way to find someone who can help (other than taking medication) 

mhm, well it sounds to me like you need someone who can give you professional guidance therapy-wise. It does´t have to be classical Talking Therapy but you need someone who can handle your amount of troubles so that you can get some relief. 

It took me a while as well to find therapists who I can trust and who I work well with. Have you only seen one person? You could try someone else or a different sort of therapy? I think people here can only help in a way of sharing their troubles or understanding, but it makes a huge difference, meeting someone in person, talking, exercising different methods. There must be therapists specialized on insomnia, seeing issues/anxiety. I mean you already know you´re obsessing about your sleep troubles - so there´s gotta be a way to find someone who can help (other than taking medication) 

Yes I have only seen one person . My wife used to come in to my appointments with me . They ended up turning it around as Marriage counseling. It did not one thing to help my issues and i told then that . I had enough of it and stopped . I live on a Island with a day time ferry so it makes it difficult to do much . I do need help and some one who specializes in Sleep and anxiety . I don't want to take meds , I really don't .  

You could see someone and some have had success with that  - others haven't.  It's up to you. Personally , I don't have much faith in doctors. What do you want / need them to say ?

It's up to you to turn your life around. Don't be afraid of not sleeping.That just intensifies it. I found " relaxing into it " the best approach.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

well for me it was everything to have qualified therapists to help and I mainly saw a systematic coach who worked on learning to accept my feelings and symptoms with me. I agree that seeing someone who is quite "conservative" or comes from a clinical psychiatric backround who just tries to classify you and puts a label on you- that might be even more harmful:) you need someone really well

fit for your troubles, someone who helps you to gain trust in your own power to help yourself - then I am very sure that this would do a lot for you!

and by the way: I envy you for living on an island right now:D

You could see someone and some have had success with that  - others haven't.  It's up to you. Personally , I don't have much faith in doctors. What do you want / need them to say ?

It's up to you to turn your life around. Don't be afraid of not sleeping.That just intensifies it. I found " relaxing into it " the best approach.

I agree it's up to me really , I just don't know how to go about it . Truth fully the longer I go with out sleep the less I become afraid of not sleeping . But my body physically does not agree .  I have heard of sleep deprivation clinic that help people withe these things . Basically they make you stay up and deal with it . I ,a lot of the times I do relax into it and will be asleep for minutes, then have things happen that wake me up . I'm afraid of the un known I guess . I don't mind death, its the getting there part from not sleeping that worries me I know it's stupid but that's how I see it . 

well for me it was everything to have qualified therapists to help and I mainly saw a systematic coach who worked on learning to accept my feelings and symptoms with me. I agree that seeing someone who is quite "conservative" or comes from a clinical psychiatric backround who just tries to classify you and puts a label on you- that might be even more harmful:) you need someone really well

fit for your troubles, someone who helps you to gain trust in your own power to help yourself - then I am very sure that this would do a lot for you!

Your very right in your assessment. I mean I don't trust my body look what its done to me . I need help with trusting it again . It's really hard living like your one bad night away from death and really believing it. I need some help , I have fought this for years with no relief and just want it over . I'm at rock bottom , maybe now my body will be ready to make changes .

To me this has been an experiment in how much the soul / mind / body can bear . It's a lot. Excruciating but also illuminating.

What do you need to know ?  

To me this has been an experiment in how much the soul / mind / body can bear . It's a lot. Excruciating but also illuminating.

What do you need to know ?  

My first episode was a jolt's that I know was from a hyper active nervous center. I understand that , it how ever has never settled down even though I have had month's of decent sleep but only in one place why? Now I'm having sleep jolts that are triggering visions, why is that and why does it seem to be progressing into something else? What's going to happen to me if I continue not to sleep? I don't know what to expect .I feel like I have some neurological brain problem that I wont over come.   

Has any one tried CBD oil for sleep issues ? I really have no idea what I'm talking about with these kinds of things, but figured it would be worth a try and ask . 

I am not a neurologist but seems obvious to me that - even if you feel better when sleeping less- a lack of sleep will lead to more troubles and that's why your getting visions and stuff? I never had sich bad troubles sleeping but I remember when my dog was a pup and she wohld wake us every hour ar night, I fell asleep for seconds during the day, having short very very vivid dreams that felt very real and very long- even if i was only minutes.

I do have CBD oil at home and I use it from time

to time when feeling any strong kind of psychologically unpleasant symptoms - and I find it comforting. It does calm me down, specialle the body and it has no side effects so there is no harm in trying it out. My boyfriend uses it a lot for physical pain (he is a martial artist so every so often he has injuries;)), we always got some at home

I am not a neurologist but seems obvious to me that - even if you feel better when sleeping less- a lack of sleep will lead to more troubles and that's why your getting visions and stuff? I never had sich bad troubles sleeping but I remember when my dog was a pup and she wohld wake us every hour ar night, I fell asleep for seconds during the day, having short very very vivid dreams that felt very real and very long- even if i was only minutes.

I do have CBD oil at home and I use it from time

to time when feeling any strong kind of psychologically unpleasant symptoms - and I find it comforting. It does calm me down, specialle the body and it has no side effects so there is no harm in trying it out. My boyfriend uses it a lot for physical pain (he is a martial artist so every so often he has injuries;)), we always got some at home

Thank you . I have been having the visions before the sleep deprivation. Some times it has been as soon as I close my eyes , no way am I asleep and I see all kinds of things . Doesn't happen every time but more frequent now . The other night I was just starting to dose when I had a jolt and saw the visions .  They stop almost immediately if I open my eyes . If I keep them closed it last for probably 10 seconds but it's all kinds of things and they are always moving fast . The first time was a few years ago it was patterns and I hadn't had another one until December of 2016 that was not patterns but almost scenes and it's happened a bunch more times since then . I'm really afraid something is wrong with my brain and now I have stopped sleeping because of it .   

• Mentor

The first time was a few years ago it was patterns and I hadn't had another one until December of 2016 that was not patterns but almost scenes and it's happened a bunch more times since then . I'm really afraid something is wrong with my brain and now I have stopped sleeping because of it . 

this may be a long shot, I don't know, but when you said patterns, it reminded me that my daughter used to tell me about these patterns she'd see, and well, she was always a bit dramatic, so I kinda didn't believe her....

she was describing them to an eye dr, or maybe a different doctor, I forget now, but in any case, the Dr knew immediately what they were, she was having the aura that happens before a migraine headache but she never got the headache!

the things she described seeing were very bizarre, and I really just thought she had closed her eyes and was pressing on her eyelids, as I recall doing that as a child and seeing all sorts of odd things.

but nope, it's a real (and totally harmless) medical condition. It seemed she had these more when she was under stress or anxious, she had one when she got her ears pierced, for example.

Migraines can be genetic/hereditary, I think.

if I were you, I'd call an eye dr and describe what you see, and/or call a regular dr and ask them if it could be ocular migraines.

I know, it might be a long shot, but what have you got to lose, asking around about it, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

just found this with a quick google search of ocular migraines/ aura:

Ocular migraines can develop with or without the accompanying pain of a classic migraine. During an ocular migraine, or migraine with aura, you may see flashing or shimmering lights, zigzagging lines, or stars. Some people describe psychedelic images. It may also cause blind spots in your field of vision.

also found this:

Migraine aura without pain, also called “Typical aura without headache”, has visual symptoms or changes in the other senses that fully go away after a short while. ... However, what sets it apart from other types of migraines with aura is that no head pain sets in within an hour of the aura symptoms.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

The first time was a few years ago it was patterns and I hadn't had another one until December of 2016 that was not patterns but almost scenes and it's happened a bunch more times since then . I'm really afraid something is wrong with my brain and now I have stopped sleeping because of it . 

this may be a long shot, I don't know, but when you said patterns, it reminded me that my daughter used to tell me about these patterns she'd see, and well, she was always a bit dramatic, so I kinda didn't believe her....

she was describing them to an eye dr, or maybe a different doctor, I forget now, but in any case, the Dr knew immediately what they were, she was having the aura that happens before a migraine headache but she never got the headache!

the things she described seeing were very bizarre, and I really just thought she had closed her eyes and was pressing on her eyelids, as I recall doing that as a child and seeing all sorts of odd things.

but nope, it's a real (and totally harmless) medical condition. It seemed she had these more when she was under stress or anxious, she had one when she got her ears pierced, for example.

Migraines can be genetic/hereditary, I think.

if I were you, I'd call an eye dr and describe what you see, and/or call a regular dr and ask them if it could be ocular migraines.

I know, it might be a long shot, but what have you got to lose, asking around about it, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

just found this with a quick google search of ocular migraines/ aura:

Ocular migraines can develop with or without the accompanying pain of a classic migraine. During an ocular migraine, or migraine with aura, you may see flashing or shimmering lights, zigzagging lines, or stars. Some people describe psychedelic images. It may also cause blind spots in your field of vision.

also found this:

Migraine aura without pain, also called “Typical aura without headache”, has visual symptoms or changes in the other senses that fully go away after a short while. ... However, what sets it apart from other types of migraines with aura is that no head pain sets in within an hour of the aura symptoms.

Thank you :-) it could be I suppose . I'm having a real problem right now with dry skin and , trouble swallowing some breathing issues  because I feel all dry inside, even my lungs feel dry . It's like my Histamine is way up if that makes sense . This has to be from not sleeping I  would think .   

• Administrator

lobster, you've had a cold winter, is that right? When you stay inside with heating, the air gets very dry, your skin gets dry, and your nose and throat might get dried out, too.

Have you ever tried hypnosis for your sleep fears? There are therapists who specialize in that, they can teach you "self-hypnosis" so you can get past that fearful period. 

It sounds to me that meditative breathing might help you and your son. This is easy to learn, free, you can do it on your own. The difficult part of meditation is the "practice" -- keeping at it. No one ever meditates perfectly, but when you get the hang of it, you can get into the habit of calming your own nervous system with it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

lobster, you've had a cold winter, is that right? When you stay inside with heating, the air gets very dry, your skin gets dry, and your nose and throat might get dried out, too.

Have you ever tried hypnosis for your sleep fears? There are therapists who specialize in that, they can teach you "self-hypnosis" so you can get past that fearful period. 

It sounds to me that meditative breathing might help you and your son. This is easy to learn, free, you can do it on your own. The difficult part of meditation is the "practice" -- keeping at it. No one ever meditates perfectly, but when you get the hang of it, you can get into the habit of calming your own nervous system with it.

Thanks Alto . I slept most of the night last night . This every other night setup isn't great though . I think I was dehydrated . I drank a bunch of Gatorade and water last night and that feeling went away . From not sleeping and being sick . My son had a better night to , hopefully things turn around soon  :)

I also noticed yesterday after noon . My nose was very contested and stuffy , my throat was very dry and kind of closed off and my lungs were very dry . I drank a Gatorade and in about 15 minutes those symptoms seemed almost gone . That helped me be comfortable and relax and I became tired and last night I slept most of the night . I would wake up off and on for a few minutes  but then fall back asleep . This morning I was feeling that same very dry congestion and dryness in side so I took some water and added a little salt to it and that feeling is almost gone after a little bit . Maybe it's nothing but a coincident . I also notice now I'm getting hungry and I haven't been Hungry in over a week. I have an appointment with a sleep specialist this afternoon and I'm currently trying to set up some talk therapy. I am feeling  better about not sleeping at night now, after loosing nights and seeing that I'm still here and nothing bad has happened .   It's easing my fear some . The one thing that has seemed to help is Melatonin . I have been taking .75 mg two hours before bed and in about an hour after I take it I notice I feel sleepy . 

Hi Lobster, 

great that you´re taking steps to make appointments that can lead to some ease! In the end - as you already said - we all have to deal with ourselves "on our own", but we sometimes need help from others to be able to do so. 

Best, 

Pepita

Hi Lobster, 

great that you´re taking steps to make appointments that can lead to some ease! In the end - as you already said - we all have to deal with ourselves "on our own", but we sometimes need help from others to be able to do so. 

Best, 

Pepita

Thank you  :) Your right ,I'm getting ready to head to the ferry and head to the mainland for my meeting with the sleep specialist, hopefully it all goes well .

Up date . The sleep doctor thinks I have Rem behavior disorder . Now I'm worried that this has to do with the antidepressants that I have taken. I did a little research and it has a close association to dementia and eventual Parkinson ? any one know more about this then I do please chime in. It sounds like Rem behavior has something to do with serotonin and dopamine levels and I know antidepressants mess with those .     

• Moderator Emeritus

I've only checked the last couple of pages of your topic and can't see any reference to SA's sleep topics:

what-is-the-sleep-cycle

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I've only checked the last couple of pages of your topic and can't see any reference to SA's sleep topics:

what-is-the-sleep-cycle

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

I'm sorry but I don't understand what your saying ? I feel terrible because last night I broke down and took a xanax . I laid in bed for hours with muscle twitches and body jumps but couldn't get into sleep . I'm getting desperate. I did sleep after a little bit with the Xanax but I feel so guilty now . I'm very up set because I fear my natural sleep is gone . This diagnosis of RBD doesn't help . They want to treat it with nightly Clonopin or Melatonin. The problem is two fold , The RBD is made worse by anxiety. But at this point I have lost the ability to feel sleepy to go to sleep . Like I said last night all I did was twitch all over and couldn't even initiate sleep and it was  hours of trying . Before I took any thing . Tonight I'm not taking any thing I don't care If I sleep or not . I just thought it might help to get some consecutive sleep maybe not . 

What more did he say? 

What is his suggestion? 

What more did he say? 

What is his suggestion? 

I have a sleep study set up . He is almost certain I have Rem behavior disorder . I have always has little issues my whole life but nothing that would ever give concern . I remember waking up when I was young and seeing spiders on the wall that weren't there . Talking in my sleep things like that . But since the antidepressants its gone to hollering in my sleep some, to jumping out of bed and seeing things that aren't real and yelling at them .It's gotten worse since my last dosage of lexapro in October 2016  .

I don't recall doing those things before , It seems to be progressing and at this point I cant even initiate sleep to do those things . I just lay there and twitch and jump .

He never mentioned any thing about Parkinson's but I did some research and it says 49% of the people that have RBD go on to develop it .   I guess from what I understand it has something to do with serotonin and dopamine levels being low . And I know antidepressants raises them but when you stop they lower ,  that was almost 6 months ago and things just seem to be getting worse .

My biggest issue now is that I cant fall asleep naturally or get tired to do so and that may be cause by  the anxiety and is a separate issue or could be due to low levels of brain chemicals . I really don't know . I wish now I hadn't taken the Xanax last night and just not slept .

I went through something similar years ago . I stopped 20 mg lexapro cold and after a month i almost lost it and went back on 20 mg , I stopped sleeping and completely lost the ability to sleep naturally . I took sleeping pills for a month I would lye in bed for hours and nothing so i would take something . At the end of the month I started falling asleep a little and didn't realize it my wife would say you have slept a little , knowing that gave me the confidence that a little natural sleep was better then medicated so I stopped all sleeping meds and have been fine since up until now .

I have been sleeping every other day and couldn't take it any more so I took some xanax last night so I could have two nights sleep , I couldn't take the muscle twitching and jumping while I lay there last night for hours . The dr said Will probably use Melatonin at first then use 1 mg clonopin if that doesn't work at night . I really don't like the thought of nightly benzos! but I'm unsure of what to do .

My days are running together when I'm not sleeping at all nights and I'm loosing the concept of time . I am loosing reality and I need to get it back soon, My season is just staring for work and the way I feel in consumed by this . If this is caused by the lexapro I wish I has stayed on a small does for ever if needed to be .

I'm feeling hopeless . I'm not taking any thing tonight I don't care if I sleep or not . Maybe If I don't then It would be ok after a couple nights of not sleeping to take something to sleep I don't know . This is very unsettling, I'm loosing weight because I have 0 appetite  , My stomach doesn't even growl , I don't yawn any more either , I just feel numb inside and out . Thanks for listening :)     

Edited by AliG
added paragraph breaks