SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Hypersensitivity to drugs, foods, and supplements?

Altostrata

• Administrator

What we've seen is that going on and off psychiatric drugs and having adverse reactions such as withdrawal symptoms can make your nervous system hypersensitive to drugs and sometimes supplements and even foods.

Please post about your experiences with supplements here.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody found themselves sensitive to magnesium? Curiously enough, it *might* be the case with me. I say it *might* be, for the chances are that one of the bad waves in the past coincided with my taking magnesium, and magnesium is not culprit here.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Hi Neuro,

Yes i had an awful problem with magnesium citrate, i used to take the chelated mag through a lot of my taper with zero

problems, and decided as it was very calming and helped with sleep issues for me once, that i would restart.

On going to the store to get a refill, i was informed they were out of stock, so decided to get the Citrate instead.

I started that last saturday night.

By sunday morning i felt like every nerve in my body was jangling, i was so jittery and shaky and felt pretty unwell,

and stupidly put this down to wd from paxil, and continued to take the citrate until wednesday of this week, with virtually

zero let up in symptoms. Then i had a " lightbulb" moment, maybe it was the mag!!!!!!! so i stopped it.

Thursday wasnt too good, and friday was even worse with bad panic/anxiety, shaky, dizzy, lightheaded, faint feelings.

So of course, id stopped the mag, so then decided to miss a night of my sliver of paxil too, just to make sure id got the

correct culprit.

Today has been better in many ways, not perfect, but then ive been out, and the anxiety has been at a much lower level

than it has at any stage this last week.

Could it be the mag??? these shaky jittery feelings didnt start until i took the mag!!!!

Or could it be the missed dose of paxil thats stopped the insane anxiety!!!!

This has been my experience this last week, i spoke to my doctor on thursday, and he says that when we reach a low level

in tapering, sometimes we are just too hyper sensitive for any suppliments.

Hope this helps!!!!!!

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• 10 months later...

I had a horrible reaction to magnesium a few years back. I remember only taking it for one day and ended up with major anxiety and brain fog which lasted around 4 days. Can't remember which form of Mg but was quite disappointed because I had read (and still do) so many beneficial things! It was definitely the Mg because I wasn't taking any other supps at the time.

Depends on the mag and the day. Somedays have been better than others for my sensitivity.

Mag glycinate is very sedating. Useless, wakeuphungover, sedating. Mag Chloride (dermally only) given me skin rash, other times I've been fine. Mag Citrate tolerated fairly well but it was the last to get a try so I'm probably less sensitive generally. Mag sulfate (epsom bath) is okay for me. Sedating but in a pleasant, anxiolytic way.

Alex

ps- I believe my hypersensitivity is improving. I feel less at risk of a freak adverse reaction and have been more successfully in gradually increasing doses of previously problematic foods and substances. Still, I remain cautious.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I only take Magnesium Oxide with Calcium since 1) it has the highest amount of Magnesium of all the types out there, 2) it is what my neurologist recommended for chronic headaches and 3) I have read that Magnesium is most effective when compounded with calcium.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

• Administrator

Mag oxide, though, is one of the types less absorbed.

However, if it works for you, it works!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 9 months later...

Hello - Yesterday I took Magnesium for the first time and about an hour or so afterward as I was trying to rest, I started having body jerks, which I rarely get anymore. They lasted while resting and then again at bedtime as I was trying to sleep. This was surprising to me as I thought the Magnesium was supposed to relax our muscles...I am not going to take it today. The plus side of this is that I woke this morning with no cortisol shaking...so don't know what's up with this. Any thoughts on this or anyone experience the same thing? And if I keep taking the Magnesium, do the body jerks just wear off?

Thanks I've learned alot from this site...lots of good information...the fish oil is my next thing to try.

Sally3

Have been on .125Klonopin for 17 years....was tapered off rapidly (3 weeks)from a 6 week updose of 1.50 K....went back on .125 K and tapered off there in 3 weeks - September 7 2010...horrible w/d sx. Have been suffering ever since, although do get windows.
Was put on 20 mg Prozac back in 1993 also...no issues ever with the prozac. Was told last summer to get off the Prozac by a psychiatrist who thought that my benzo w/d was really due to the Prozac i.e., jitteriness, shaking, nervous, anxiety and depression. He wanted me off in 3 months. I started decreasing 1 mg per months - am now down to 9 mg Prozac....feel like I have been tapering incorrectly.

Introductory Post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2439-sally3-i-am-new-here/page-1

I had the same problem with magnesium. It also gave me breathing problems/apnea during sleep. (Maybe I should say it worsened existing withdrawal problems.)Magnesium glycinate is the worst for me. I don't seem to have any problem with magnesium (Epsom Salt) in the bath, or foods that contain magnesium. Very low amount of mag citrate in my multi-vitamin seems to be OK, but I don't take it regularly. I avoid D3 for the same reason, except in small doses.

I've always gone with the jerking...it feels like it's releasing tension to me...it makes me think of neurogenic tremors which animals do to release trauma...after I let them do what they want I feel better...

Anyway...it may not be a good thing for you...but for me I've always interpreted the jerking as a sort of "kriya" energetic release...I imagine if they scared people they might work the opposite way and make things worse if it resulting in tightening up or getting more tense...

in any case, it's possible we are not experiencing the same thing as well...just wanted to share my experience.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thank you for your responses....Gia - they don't scare me at all...mostly annoying when trying to rest... but they have been gone pretty much but returned when I took the magnesium. Puzzling to say the least....and also no morning cortisol this morning and just makes me wonder if that was from the magnesium or just my lucky day....

Thanks

Sally3

Have been on .125Klonopin for 17 years....was tapered off rapidly (3 weeks)from a 6 week updose of 1.50 K....went back on .125 K and tapered off there in 3 weeks - September 7 2010...horrible w/d sx. Have been suffering ever since, although do get windows.
Was put on 20 mg Prozac back in 1993 also...no issues ever with the prozac. Was told last summer to get off the Prozac by a psychiatrist who thought that my benzo w/d was really due to the Prozac i.e., jitteriness, shaking, nervous, anxiety and depression. He wanted me off in 3 months. I started decreasing 1 mg per months - am now down to 9 mg Prozac....feel like I have been tapering incorrectly.

Introductory Post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2439-sally3-i-am-new-here/page-1

• Administrator

How much mag did you take? Maybe it's too much for you.

It sounds like it set off a paradoxical reaction (too much mag) and when it wore off, it was beneficial.

A lower dose might suit you better. People can be hypersensitive to magnesium, too.

(Sally, I'm moving this to the Symptoms and Self-Care forum. Only one topic to a customer in the Intro forum.)

Thanks Alto - I don't know my way around this forum very well so forgive me...just don't know exactly where to go to ask a question...the magnesium I took was 100 mg...I'll try it again in a day or so but just take half the dose...

Sally3

• 1 year later...

What are your reactions like to what, how long do they last, etc? Also, how far are you into your recovery? Please provide details, if you can.

I'm almost 5 1/2 years into my recovery. I still suffer a great deal daily, but even more, when I have my menstrual cycle, which is irregular now.

Any supplement or drug I take, including ones I've taken before withdrawal without problems, makes me feel much, much worse. This is especially true for vitamin D, which I really need to take, because my level is very low, and antibiotics, among a few other things I've tried to tolerate taking, all at low doses too. Kefir is the only food that really stands out as me reacting poorly to, but then again sometimes it helps me. There may be others though, which are mild or I'm just not making the connection with them.

I haven't tried taking very many supplements and drugs nor have I followed a special diet. All I know is my bad reactions, to what little I have tried taking, really bothers me a lot, as I thought, by now, they would be gone or at least better. This prevents me from not taking anything I don't just have to take, which might could help me.

I wonder, will this ever go away for me? If it did for you, how long did it take?

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

Hi Christina,

I am sorry you are suffering so much.   Words fail me regarding your situation.

Regarding vitamin D, is there any way you could start very gradually to get your level up?  Since you are deficient, I wonder if you would feel better once you reached the desired level.  Also, some brands are better than others so you might want to experiment to see what works.

Unfortunately, as one who is nearly 4 years off of a cocktail of psych meds, I don't have any answers for you.   And I am about to become an unwilling test case when I have surgery for a deviated septum and turbinate reduction next month.  I say unwilling because I don't have any other choices since I have been unable to tolerate the pap therapy that this operation should help me with.  

But because of my history of adverse drug reactions, I am scared to death and will discuss with my ENT whether there are alternatives for some of them.   Working on getting the correct phrasing down:) since these guys don't like to be questioned.

And even though many supplements that I am allowed to take can allegedly with help with anesthesia and drug reactions,I am very sensitive to alot of them and seem to get the unusual reactions so I have to be very careful.   It is a tough situation.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

this is a nice little thing that explains what hypersensitivity (to pretty much anything) is very well in my opinion...

The autonomic nervous system regulates those aspects of the body that occur automatically such as circulation, breathing, heart rate, digestion and blood pressure. It is also known as the involuntary nervous system and it is comprised of two parts known as the parasympathetic nervous system and the sympathetic nervous system.

In our brain we have toxin receptors, called xenosensors. Toxins of all kinds; pesticides, cologne, laundry soap, bacteria, lyme, yeast, heavy metals, etc. are able to cross the blood brain barrier, which then triggers these receptors. These receptors have one of two roles. One, they trigger the locus ceruleus in the brain stem that a threat exists (the toxin) and the locus ceruleus releases norepinephrine to ignite the fight/flight system otherwise known as the sympathetic nervous system. Norepinephrine is an excitatory neurotransmitter and although crucial for survival, it is toxic to the brain in excess.

Once norepinephrine is released, then it stimulates the amygdala into action, which triggers emotions like fear, anxiety or anger, and the hypothalamus which triggers the pituitary to release ACTH to stimulate the adrenal glands to release cortisol and then preganglion sympathetic neurons stimulate the adrenal medulla to release epinephrine.

It was once thought that the hypothalamus was what set off the stress response system, then later it was believed that it was the amygdala. What we know now is that it is neither one of them. It is the locus ceruleus that sets off the stress response system. The amygdala fires off in response to messages from the locus ceruleus via norepinephrine.

This is called the stress response system and it is activated anytime we are under stress of any kind. Environmental toxins are one kind of stress that we are all exposed to on a daily basis, this is called toxic stress. The more toxins you are exposed to, the more often your sympathetic nervous system is called into action.

All toxins trigger this fight or flight system/sympathetic nervous system. This includes environmental toxins like pesticides, air pollution, heavy metals, food additives, etc., as well as toxins released from viruses like lyme and bacteria like h pylori or yeast like candida, as well as metabolic toxins like ammonia if they aren't eliminated properly.

The fight or flight system or sympathetic nervous system is designed to protect our survival. It is activated anytime there is a threat to our existence. It's our most basic survival mechanism and runs on an unconscious level. Earlier in our evolution as a species it would protect us from predators like a tiger. If confronted by a tiger, then the stress response system would jump in to provide us with the resources to either fight the tiger or run.

Once we escaped the tiger, then the fight or flight system would return to its normal pre-stress state, known as the parasympathetic state. Now, in our modern day life we don't typically face any "real" tigers while walking down the street, however we are surrounded by many different types of "tigers" like pesticides, heavy metals, air pollution, poor diet, cell towers, financial difficulties, working two jobs, traffic jams, raising a family etc. These are all types of stress that trigger our stress response system.

The sympathetic nervous system is part of the autonomic nervous system and it works in tandem with the parasympathetic nervous system. This process takes place in the area of the brain called the limbic system, sometimes referred to as the old brain or the paleomammalian brain. Now, what it is supposed to happen when all is functioning as it should, once the threat to our survival is gone, (the toxin) the parasympathetic nervous system is supposed to take over and turn off the sympathetic nervous system.

So basically, the sympathetic nervous system is the accelerator of the nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous system is the brakes.

When the sympathetic nervous system is dominant, ie we are in fight or flight mode, digestion and circulation are impaired, pupils dilate, blood pressure and heart rate rise, cognitive abilities and memory may be impaired, we are hyper alert and given a boost of energy, blood sugar rises, hormones are disrupted, sleep and the detoxification system are impaired, there's a decline in immune function, neurotransmitters are used up, all of our senses, (particularly our sense of smell, taste and sound) are heightened and there are high levels of fear and anxiety.

(You should take note: don't the symptoms of the sympathetic nervous system arousal look strikingly similar to the symptoms experienced by those with MCS, EHS and CFS - Adrenal Fatigue?)

All of this occurs so that we are capable of coping with the threat or stressor at hand. The sole purpose of the fight or flight system is to prepare our body for a violent confrontation or to run.

Once the threat (stressor or toxin) is over, then the parasympathetic nervous system restores the body to normal. Heart rate, digestion, circulation, blood pressure, senses etc. are restored to normal. We are in a state of rest and relaxation. The body actually prefers to be in the parasympathetic state. It is our normal state.

The sympathetic nervous system or fight/flight is intended only for brief emergencies. If we remain in that state for too long then our health begins to deteriorate. Conditions like multiple chemical sensitivity, chronic fatigue syndrome - adrenal fatigue, EHS, FMS, depression, anxiety, hyperactivity, insomnia, heart disease, high blood pressure etc. begin to develop. This is known as dysautonomia or autonomic nervous system dysfunction.

Additionally, when we are consistently in the sympathetic state, this puts excessive stress on the adrenal glands. At first this causes high levels of cortisol and if this continues for a long period of time, then eventually cortisol levels become depleted and can no longer meet the demands of stress. Cortisol is critical in supporting the body during times of stress. If you don't have sufficient levels of cortisol, then you aren't going to be coping well with stress. This is when adrenal fatigue develops.

The sympathetic state is degenerative when we remain in it for a prolonged period of time because it breaks us down. The parasympathetic state is regenerative. In order to regain health or heal from "any" health condition, the body must return to the parasympathetic state. Dr. Gant told me that I had MCS because something was keeping my body in a state of sympathetic stress and in order to recover I needed to identify the factors that were in play and eliminate them.

In the case of chemical sensitivity, chronic fatigue syndrome (adrenal fatigue), electromagnetic hypersensitivity and other similar conditions, something even more complex is taking place in the autonomic nervous system. The system is remaining in a hypersensitive state even when the original toxin or stressor is removed and it becomes a habitual response that spreads to other toxins and stressors. Smaller and smaller amounts of toxins or stress set the sympathetic nervous system into action.

Even when we remove ourselves from the toxin or stressor, our autonomic nervous system continues to believe that smaller and smaller levels of toxins and stress are "a threat to our survival." When the brain thinks there is a "threat to survival" then it remains in the sympathetic fight or flight state. When we are continually in the fight or flight state, this creates all the symptoms that are associated with MCS, EHS, CFS (adrenal fatigue) etc.

The limbic system can become impaired by a one-time event to a very big stressor or chemical like a car accident, the loss of a relationship, death of a loved one, being a victim of violence, spending the day in a mold infested building or a room with a plug-in air freshener, being in the presence of a pesticide or herbicide application or the accumulation of many low-level stressors or toxins that take place over time. Thus, explaining why some people seem to develop these conditions overnight, while for others it comes on gradually.

we can retrain our nervous system by doing all the healthy things we talk about on this site...it's a slow process but it's totally doable. 

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thank you very much Compsports! I tried taking a very small amount of a good vitamin D supplement awhile back and it made me worse, so I guess my body is still too hypersensitive right now, so I must wait awile longer before I try again. Good luck to you with your surgery! I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Please keep me updated! I think you're doing the right things by questioning the doctors and doing your research beforehand.

Thank you very much GiaK! That information was very informative and definitely worth saving! I think it would be worth showing to my doctor too, as they are very holistically minded and practice a lot of alternative and complementary medicine, per say. I will definitely check out the link you provided! Do you have any links to anymore information about things I can do to help my nervous system to not be so hypersensitive anymore? If so, would you mind to please let me know what they are? I'll do anything I can to help myself in this area and I trust that, with your vast amount of knowledge in this area, which I've seen you post here, you can really help me with this, so any help you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated!

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

Thanks Christina, I will definitely keep people posted.   I know that having to have surgery is frightening to many people on this list for obvious reasons so I will  let people know how it goes so if god forbid, someone is in a similar situation, they can learn from my experience.

I sure hope you can take vitamin D in the future as that is a hard supplement to get in food and it is so crucial.

Much continued healing to you.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

here is more info I've shared on my site:

●  Protracted psychiatric drug withdrawal syndrome, chronic illness, CFS, Fibromyalgia. Yeah, they all have things in common.

●  Autonomic nervous system dysfunction, protracted psych drug withdrawal, CFS, Fibromyalgia and why I still limit engagement on the internet 

and really LOTS of things help us retrain our brains...for me  I do yoga, meditation, contemplation...I listen to music and sounds that I find therapeutic...the sounds can rewire the brain too...dancing...all sorts of things...really my whole blog is about finding what combo of things might work for you

and this is a collection of sound therapy stuff...honestly it's been amazingly helpful...and I do what my body wants when I listen to this stuff...(might be dancing wildly, or alternately might be laying down in deep contemplation) http://beyondmeds.com/2013/12/23/chilling-me-out/

and yeah...also just go to the top of the page and visit the drop down menus for info on other self-guided healing techniques.

• 3 years later...

Could mct oil have been too activating for me? I’m not even sure if I had any but I know my mother inlaw cooks with it ALOT and we had dinner with her tonight. I started having diarrhea and my heart will not stop racing, I almost feel as I did in the beginning. Did I just ruin whatever recovery I’ve made this far?? I haven’t had any problems with insomnia but here I am at 2 in the morning. I hope I didn’t start something new ): I have two babies who are going to be wide awake first hung in the morning and idk how to deal with this 

October 30th, 2017 one dose of 50 mg sertraline at night before bed. 

Coconut oil tends to rev me up if I have too much,however a tiny dose like say 1tsp helps to clear my brain fog I get here and there,maybe go easy on the MCT for now

• 2 months later...

I wanted to revive this thread as I have had a terrible reaction to magnesium glycinate also.  Was on it for a year and did not know that it was mag glycinate that was causing the jerks.  I also had apnea, head click and other head noises, and an alerting sensation in my head when I took it. 

Did some research and found that glycine can cause myoclonic jerks.

Was taking 200 mg at night and 200 upon awakening in the mornings. Went away immediately upon discontinuing.

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

1 minute ago, Survivor1 said:

I wanted to revive this thread as I have had a terrible reaction to magnesium glycinate also.  Was on it for a year and did not know that it was mag glycinate that was causing the jerks.  I also had apnea, head click and other head noises, and an alerting sensation in my head when I too it. 

Was taking 200 mg at night and 200 upon awakening in the mornings. Went away immediately upon discontinuing.

That's great to hear!

I can't remember what type magnesium I was taking, but it started making me nauseous so I quit taking it. I've had an upset stomach a couple times since.

I'm so glad you figured it out! Now for some sleep!  😴😴😴💤💤💤

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

1 hour ago, Survivor1 said:

Thank you for posting this! There are so many different kinds!

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

• ChessieCat changed the title to Magnesium & body jerks

If you're looking for an easy to stomach, non-glycinate magnesium source, I'd recommend - Nature Calm (no affiliation).

I think it's "ionic" magnesium citrate, which means almost nothing to me other than it being a highly absorbable source.

Taper commencing 14/06/18:

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

Medication / withdrawal history:

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

NatureCalm Magnesium, Glycine, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Schisandra, Melatonin.

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

• 3 months later...

Hi all- it’s been a while since my last post and I plan on updating my signature when I get a chance. I’m back on Lexapro 4 MG and I recently started taking 100MG magnesium glycinate to help me sleep. Since then, I’ve had pretty consistent feelings of breathlessness, heart palpitations, anxiety etc.

Is it possible that those of us with a destabilized nervous system can have a paradoxical reaction to magnesium? I’m going to stop taking it as that’s the only thing I can equate to the issues I’ve been having. 

I appreciate anyone’s advice in advance!

2005- 2008: Lorazepam (max dose- 1 MG daily)

2008- 2016: Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

January 2017- March 2017- Pristiq (max dose- 100 MG daily)

April 2017- June 2017: Trintellix (max dose- 10 MG)

July 2017- October 2017:  Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

November 2017- April 2018- Luvox (max dose- 100 MG)

May 2018- Zoloft (max dose- 18.75)

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

"The Journey is The Reward"

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi ryan,

I've moved your post to an existing topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat changed the title to Magnesium sensitivity / bad reaction?
On 3/16/2018 at 4:17 AM, NobodySpecial said:

If you're looking for an easy to stomach, non-glycinate magnesium source, I'd recommend - Nature Calm (no affiliation).

I think it's "ionic" magnesium citrate, which means almost nothing to me other than it being a highly absorbable source.

I could not find NatureCalm Magnesium.  Could it be Natural Calm?  I am looking for magnesium that won't cause side effects for me.  I experience a swollen, irritated tongue whenever I take Magnesium even in small amounts.  I have tried staying off it for quite a while, and that symptom disappears.  When I resume it, the irritated tongue returns.  Thus, I'm pretty sure the magnesium is what causes it.

Thanks,

RM

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

On July 5, 2018 at 7:39 PM, RealMe said:

I could not find NatureCalm Magnesium.  Could it be Natural Calm?  I am looking for magnesium that won't cause side effects for me.  I experience a swollen, irritated tongue whenever I take Magnesium even in small amounts.  I have tried staying off it for quite a while, and that symptom disappears.  When I resume it, the irritated tongue returns.  Thus, I'm pretty sure the magnesium is what causes it.

Thanks,

RM

This is what I use

http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ta-8YKO3AIVkF5-Ch00BAOBEAAYASAAEgIYvvD_BwE

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

On 7/6/2018 at 10:39 AM, RealMe said:

Thanks,

RM

Hey, my bad, it's Natural Calm. Rosetta posted the link. You can also buy it from iHerb. I would thoroughly recommend trying it!

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:21 PM, Rosetta said:

On 7/7/2018 at 9:59 PM, NobodySpecial said:

it's Natural Calm. Rosetta posted the link.

Thank you, Rosetta & NobodySpecial.  I ordered it.  Wish me luck.

xo RM

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

@RealMe, keep me posted :)

Morning supplements:

Evening supplements:

On 7/12/2018 at 11:32 PM, NobodySpecial said:

@RealMe, keep me posted :)

Hi NS,

I tried a tiny bit, thought I noticed a reaction, decided to wait a few days and try again.  I'll let you know how it works out.

RM

• Administrator
On 7/5/2018 at 11:44 AM, ryan1982 said:

Hi all- it’s been a while since my last post and I plan on updating my signature when I get a chance. I’m back on Lexapro 4 MG and I recently started taking 100MG magnesium glycinate to help me sleep. Since then, I’ve had pretty consistent feelings of breathlessness, heart palpitations, anxiety etc.

Is it possible that those of us with a destabilized nervous system can have a paradoxical reaction to magnesium? I’m going to stop taking it as that’s the only thing I can equate to the issues I’ve been having. 

I appreciate anyone’s advice in advance!

You may wish to cut the tablet in half and see if those symptoms reduce. If not, they're probably not from the magnesium.

Taking smaller doses more often is more effective than larger doses.

Thanks @Altostrata, I’m very appreciative of your note. I did cut out the magnesium and the symptoms disappeared.  Any chance you’d know when I can try again? I used to take melatonin, Hydroxyzine and magnesium and now I can’t tolerate any of them. 

2005- 2008: Lorazepam (max dose- 1 MG daily)

2008- 2016: Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

January 2017- March 2017- Pristiq (max dose- 100 MG daily)

April 2017- June 2017: Trintellix (max dose- 10 MG)

July 2017- October 2017:  Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

November 2017- April 2018- Luvox (max dose- 100 MG)

May 2018- Zoloft (max dose- 18.75)

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

"The Journey is The Reward"

• Administrator

Give your nervous system a rest for a while and then try a very small amount of magnesium and melatonin. You probably should not take hydroxyzine for sleep again.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy