WinningThrough: Does it get better?

WinningThrough

• Administrator

Okay, this is better. Please try to stay on the 2mg a little longer. It seems to be helping.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WinningThrough

• LoveandLight

• luv2knit

• Pugknows

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks altostrata. This is a brilliant website!

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Hi all

I've been posting about my reinstatement to sertraline at 2mg and said that it's taken care of the brain zaps. I had a lot this morning when I first got out of bed but I'm okay now.

The problem is, I miscalculated in a major way! My 2mg was actually 7mg. Oh no!!

I've ordered a 1mg dropper but in the meantime have been using a large syringe. This, believe it or not, was from a nettirinse for sinuses. It has ml measurements on it. I was drawing liquid up to the 2ml mark on the syringe but it seemed quite a lot for 2ml.

So what on earth do I do now?? I am desperate not to be on sertraline as I react so badly to ssris and can't see me getting rid of the akathisia unless I am on nothing. But I need to be on a reinstatement to help with the brain zaps and other withdrawal symptoms. My first action was to just take 2 mg (I found a measuring cup in the drawer) but I realised this could cause all sorts of problems so I took the remaining 5mg.

Do I stay at 7mg and taper down? I'd so much rather be tapering from 2mg. I feel like I'm never going to escape these ssris!

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - med free

Actually, it's more like 5mg. I mixed 25mg in what I thought was 25ml of water. I just used the syringe to draw 25mg of water. I then took syringefuls up to the 2ml mark. I filled the syringe 5 times. So given that there was 25mg in the mix, I guess that equates to 5mg. That's still more than I want to be taking and I'm getting a lot of chest tightness. Should I drop to a lower dose?

29 June 2014 - med free

• Administrator

If you mixed 25mg in 25mL, then took 2mL, you have taken 2mg.

If your syringe markings are off, that would be approximate.

When did the chest tightening start? What time of day does it occur?

Please keep notes on paper about your dosing and symptom pattern.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi altostrata. I forgot to say in my post that I found some measuring cups in the drawer and one of them was 2.5mg. I filled this completely with the liquid in the large syringe and there was plenty left. There was actually enough to fill the 2.5ml cup 3 times!! Which is 7.5ml, over 3 times the amount I thought I was taking. I then drew 2ml according to the large syringe several times to see how many syringefuls there were and there were 5. So 5 lots of 5 equals 25 ml. Which means I was taking 5mg. On the syringe, there is some plastic below the bottom line and this I where I think the problem lies.

I have absolutely no idea how much to take today. Hopefully my proper syringes will arrive today. I am tempted to take less than I have because it's a higher dose than I wanted to go in at.

My heart is starting to race like it did when I went on sertraline before. The feelings in my legs are terrible..worse than usual. The adrenaline is building. The chest tightening seems worse in the evening. I've had enough of all this after 7 straight months with no windows.

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm very confused by your description of measuring with the cup. You say it was a 2.5 mg cup, that doesn't make sense--mg is weight, you can't measure weight with a cup, you have to use a scale.

Do you mean 2.5 mL? That's a very small cup--about a thimble full.

Do you mean 25 mL? That would be a more reasonable size although still very small (about the size of a shot glass).

You've got the right idea--5 times 5 mL is 25 mL.  A 25 mg tablet mixed in 25 mL of water will give you 1 mg per mL. You can mix that in any size cup that's big enough.

It's best not to use measuring cups to measure liquid for tapering, because they aren't usually really all that accurate, they're designed for cooking, which doesn't require that level of precision. Better to measure using your syringe, or else using lab glassware (like a graduated cylinder).

What volume syringes are you getting?

Please be careful about things like decimal places and the difference between "mg" and "mL." If you are unclear on any of these concepts, please feel free to ask, there's no such thing as a stupid question! Best to get really clear on what you're doing so you don't get yourself in trouble.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

And the suicidal feelings haven't ever abated after 7 months of taken different poisons over the last 7 months. This is what worries me most about being on even a tiny dose. Im so scared that I'm going to feel suicidal for the rest of my life. I'm not going to do anything because I can't hurt those around me and I have to believe it will get better in time. But I'm so scared. I just can't stop crying. Since I stopped and since reinstating, the floodgates have opened and I just cry and cry and cry. So scared. I don't know if I will ever be normal again.

29 June 2014 - med free

Thanks for your reply Rhi. Sorry, I meant a 2.5ml cup. I think it's my mashed brain! Keep doing typos. It's one of those cooking cups and is very small. And as you say, not that accurate. The syringe doesn't seem to be accurate either. I guess I have been taking 5mg. Which is way more than I wanted to take. I'm very tempted to take 2mg if I can work out what the heck that is with my very inaccurate syringe. I sent to be only on a very very low dose as I'm so sensitive and I've had way beyond enough of all this now. Sorry for the self pity, just tired of trying to be strong all the time and pretending to be better than I am.

The syringes I've ordered are 1ml syringes with markings.

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh I know, I wish I could hug you, it's so hard and so scary and so lonely to be in that place. I know it's impossible to imagine, but I absolutely get it. I was suicidal for most of 15 years on the drugs and on and off for the first couple of years of tapering. I don't get that intense suicidality any more, but I still have days when I feel like I wouldn't mind if I don't have a long life.

It does go away, though. It's so common. If you get the chance, talk to Gia about it, she knows about drug-induced suicidality. It will go away. The suicidality going away off the drugs and after withdrawal is one of the most predictable outcomes I've seen. I really think you will get there. But I know, right now even another minute of this feels like forever. I wish I could take that away from you. I'm so sorry.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm off to bed now, it's 2:30 in the morning out here in the west, and already tomorrow where you are! :-) There will be early birds coming onto the forum soon.

Hang in there, courageous one!

• Moderator Emeritus

I was writing at the same time Rhi was, she posted what I was going to say about suicidal feelings, they are very common and will go away as you recover.  Crying is good, its a way to let out difficult feelings and relieve stress.  You will get through this and we are here with you.

((hugs))

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Rhi

I hope you had a good sleep. Thank you so much for your lovely, lovely message. It was just what I needed.

Suicidal for 15 years?? Oh my goodness. I just read your story and it broke my heart. You are one strong lady.

The suicidal ideation is the worst part of this. If that would go away, everything else would be so much easier to deal with. You made me feel reassured that it will go away in time. I will talk to Gia.

Peru..thank you for your lovely post and for reinforcing the reassurance that these feelings will go away. And for saying that crying is ok. I guess I need to release all the ****

I got my 1ml syringes today. I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing but I'm going to attempt 2mg rather than the 5mg I was taking in error. I can feel my akathisia getting a little worse since reinstating and I just don't want to risk that. I can always go back up to 5 if the withdrawal gets too harsh.

Thanks again. I'm dreaming of my first window.

29 June 2014 - med free

Hi all

I tried reinstating. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. The reinstatement did help the brain zaps and energy levels but I could feel the akathisia getting worse and I feel I can't risk making that any worse. I've had to stop. I've no idea if I'm doing the right thing. It seems whatever I do I can't win.

Im still getting zapped although perhaps not as much, still have massive eye pressure, I cry all day..can't seem to help it, and I'm exhausted like never before. I'm not functioning at all.

I've just had a friend on the phone lecturing me..she just doesn't get it because she hadn't been through it herself. I think she thinks I'm just feeling sorry for myself and not trying which couldn't be further from the truth. It's like my brain won't let me be positive.

So at the moment I'm drug free. Is this a wise decision? I don't know. I'll do anything to avoid aggravating the akathisia plus all the awful ssri side effects were coming back on reinstatement. I guess I will just need to be patient and keep pushing thru, hoping it will all go away one day.

Thanks for listening. I know there's not much anyone can say except advise reinstatement, but sertraline has been a nightmare from day one. My body just can't tolerate it on any level.

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Well I agree that sertraline and any SSRI is not for you, but you did have that spell of wobbling about with doses very recently, so you haven't really given stabilizing a chance yet, nor a really tiny dose.

You say you were taking 5 or 7 mg, not 2 mg. And then, correct me if I'm wrong, you got your syringes six days ago and dropped from there to 2 mg? All of that bouncing around on dosages would certainly be enough to aggravate symptoms. And it can be very tough to distinguish between withdrawal/destabilization symptoms and the akathisia caused by the drug itself, I suspect both are contributing here, not just one or the other.

It's up to you of course, but what I've seen is that the difference between "none at all" and "even a tiny bit" can make a big difference in cushioning withdrawal symptoms. Have you considered trying 1 mg and just really giving that a chance for a few weeks? Or even 2 mg.  

Whatever dose you pick take it accurately and precisely measured, broken into two doses taken 12 or so hours apart, same time every day very consistently. Given your history and the recent events I would not expect instant stabilization but it should cushion the worst of it.

It's always a balancing act between the bad effects of the drugs and the bad effects of withdrawal. There's no perfect solution, you just have to find the optimum balance. It seems to me that you haven't really given that approach a full trial yet.

Look at the charts in this papers (starting with page 4):http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/

and you will see why at low doses even a small amount makes a big difference. Print that out and next time someone tells you you're making things up, show it to them.

I certainly understand why you're not wanting to take any of the drug at all. But I've seen what withdrawal can do, too, and I'm pretty sure it's not any nicer. I would encourage you to consider trying at least 0.5 to 1 mg as a small cushion against the worst of withdrawal with the probability of minimizing side effects of the drug.

Thanks Rhi. This has made me feel better. You're right. I did a bit of messing around with doses as I'd miscalculated. Interestingly, I took 1mg on Friday and felt quite good (comparatively) in the evening. And again, on Saturday. My boyfriend noticed that quite a bit of the real me was around on Saturday and it's true it was. I didn't take any sertraline in Saturday or since and I came crashing down on Sunday. I've been there since. I'd wondered if I'd experienced my first window and then gone into a wave but now I'm wondering if it was messing about with doses and the fact that the window occurred after I'd reinstated and the crash happened after I stopped again is telling.

I'm tempted to do 1mg. I hadn't thought of dividing the doses. Perhaps I should try 0.5mg in the morning and 0.5mg in the evening. I definitely can't feel a lot worse than I do.

Thanks again, Rhi.

29 June 2014 - med free

Hi. It's me again. I feel I'm being really demanding with my posts at the moment.

I haven't started my reinstatement today. Before I do, there's something's that's bothering me.

Is it possible I could have had seretonin syndrome? I was hit so hard with awful symptoms very early on after starting citalopram, my first ssri. I've read that one of the symptoms is hyperactive bowel sounds and I had those terribly on citalooram, all the time. They were so loud! I'd never had that before. I was also getting the sweats (still am) but no temperature. I didn't have diarrhoea on citalopram. I got that a lot earlier this year. I had dropped from 100mg of sertraline to 50mg and I was also withdrawing from quetiapine. I never have diarrhoea but it was just terrible. I had a few bouts of it over a period of weeks. At one point it lasted 3 days and was every half hour. I had an irregular heartbeat with it. I honestly thought I was dying!!

I also got myoclonic jerks and muscle twitching. My heart rate was very fast. The same happened on sertraline. I was shaking like crazy on sertraline. I got myoclonic jerks on that too. I also got extreme agitation. I've had memory and cognitive problems since first going in citalopram. I still get muscle twitches but then again, I've had these on and off for years,long before ever taking antidepressants.

I also had a couple of bouts of euphoria and it was really frightening. It first happened two weeks after starting citalporam and I thought it was suddenly kicking in. My mood suddenly lifted but it kept going up and up and up until I was almost in a stupor. I couldn't hold any thoughts.

A whole host of other things happened. When I recently did a trial reinstatement of sertraline, my hyperactive bowel sounds came back. Really loud. My heart beat was increasing.

It's hard to know whats going on. I don't know whether a temperature always has to be present in seretonin syndrome or if you always have to have diarrhoea. But I certainly had very severe symptoms.

The withdrawal is awful so I'm seriously considering reinstatement at a low dose but if I did have undiagnosed seretonin syndrome, is it wise? I feel well and truly stuffed at this stage. Not sure how I'm going to get out of this mess. Thanks for listening to my anxious rumblings?

29 June 2014 - med free

• Administrator

You may have had excessive serotonergic stimulation from a dose of citalopram that was too high for you.

Adverse effects are dosage-related. A very, very small dose for reinstatement may not cause this reaction. If it does, you can stop it right away.

....But reinstatement of a very small amount of citalopram is a way to test the waters. You can back off quickly if it does not help.

Thanks Altostrata.

Sertraline was the last ssri I was on. It was after quitting this one that the brain zaps, etc. started. Having said that, all of this started on citalopram. Its possible I'm getting withdrawal from both ssris. I still have some citalopram tablets and I have some sertraline so I could taper off either. I guess I should probably use sertraline as it was the most recent.

I have nothing to lose by trying a very low dose, probably 1mg. I did a trial of it but was getting my doses mixed up. I can do it better next time.

I will stop banging on about this now!! I need to make a decision and stick with it. Thanks for your help :-)

29 June 2014 - med free

• Administrator

Oh, my mistake, I would try sertraline, the last SSRI you were on.

Hi. Sorry to be a total pain. On day 4 of reinstatement of sertraline at 1mg. Feeling so awful. Just wondered, should I hold at this dose or try going up a bit in my dose?

(Classic withdrawal - regular crying spells, brain zaps, exhaustion beyond belief, massive eye pressure, sweats, inability to function, terror that I'm going to be stuck like this forever, on top of the existing akathisia and suicidal thoughts.)

Prior to my current reinstatement, I messed up by getting my doses all mixed up then stopping for a few days, so I'm not surprised this is happening. My fault.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on either holding the 1mg for a while to see if it settles down or going up maybe 1mg?

Thanks, and sorry this is so depressing. I know you are all suffering too.

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

I would stay where you are for a while, since I wouldn't be expecting you to feel better right away as I believe I have said, given that you've been going up and down and off all the way and back on, quite a bit.. A 1 mg or 2 mg reinstatement is not going to fix that. It may cushion the worst of it. There's really no easy solution at this point.

Given that you have expressed a lot of hesitancy about even taking 1 mg let alone more, and you were reluctant to do it and put it off, and you have had bad symptoms related to taking SSRIs, I think that if you went up to a higher dose and you hit another wall of symptoms, you would probably quit too abruptly again. This on and off does not go anywhere good. The waves and windows are going to come and go, no matter what you do at this point, you have to stop reacting to them with med changes, that doesn't help, just makes it worse.

You said it yourself and I think it makes the most sense: stay where you are for a while. And then if you feel--after at least another week or so, given how conflicted you have been about reinstatement at all--that you want to increase, do so slowly, by 0.5 mg, then another 0.5 mg if that one seems to really help. But make the changes small, slow, and consistent, and hold them, don't reverse them as soon as symptoms hit. Don't keep changing your mind and going on and off and up and down, you're just harming yourself by doing that. Symptoms are going to come and go regardless.

That's what I'd do anyway. I don't think it would hurt you to go up to 2 mg right now if you want, though. The main thing is, it's time to make a decision, pick a dose and stick with it, consistently and accurately. All the changing is what's harming you most right now.

Thanks Rhi. You're absolutely right. I'm going to stick at 1mg for a while and wait it out. As you say, I can always go up.

I'm going to do my level best from now on to stop being a pest!! I've been very indecisive and have caused my own difficulties in my dosing mishaps. I must have been driving you all completely nuts and I really am very sorry. You've all been very patient with me.

Onwards and upwards. From now on I'm am going to tell myself that I absolutely will heal as will everyone else. I will send out healing thoughts repeatedly.

I hope that YOU are doing well and improving.

Thanks again :-)

29 June 2014 - med free

WT,

I wanted to stop and say hello to you. I would like to tell you I keep rereading your long post on my thread as it gives me hope. You must be an amazing person when you are able to reach out to me even when you are feeling awful and I know what it is feeling awful....It is almost unbelievable to read your story because I find that our stories are so similar it cannot be true! But it is. Aren´t we clones? CFS, antibiotics reaction, akathisia....it is so important for me to know that somewhere, a long way from my home, there is a person who suffers similar reactions and yet keeps going. Maybe we share some genetic background, who knows.. :o

I am sending hugs WT.

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

In the former hospital i took twice gabapentin. It should be all my medication.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

Ah, thank you for your lovely post Wolfhound :-) What a lovely thing to say! We have, indeed, been on a very similar journey. Yes..clones! I'm so glad my post helped you. Let's keep walking through to the finishing line. We can beat this thing.

29 June 2014 - med free

Just had an interesting appointment with my GP. (I have to see a member of the crisis team every 6 weeks and my GP every 6 weeks.)

My GP is great, actually, because he is prepared to accept that the drugs have caused me to be the way I am. I saw him when things were starting to go wrong with citalopram and he said at the time he didn't know whether or not it was the drug which was very honest. I didn't come off it immediately because I thought the side effects would stop and it would kick in but things got worse.

I told him today about my withdrawal symptoms and he said that it was, indeed, withdrawal and he had seen these symptoms in others. I told him the psychiatrist had said the side effects I'd had from the ssris were not the drugs, they were down to my depression but the doctor said that was wrong. It felt so great to have a doctor agree with me. He agreed that going back on the drugs and doing a slow taper was the best way. I told him I'd been on a website for people who'd were experiencing withdrawal problems and that I'd gone on a low dose, stopped, and was starting again. He said I couldn't get liquid sertraline and 50mg was the lowest dose available but didn't have a problem with what I was doing in making my own solution. I know he can't do a lot to help me but to have a doctor agree that this is down to side effects and withdrawal and not expect me to go on another ssri is brilliant.

I thought I'd share this with you.

29 June 2014 - med free

• Administrator

That is excellent, WT. Does he know how to taper? Perhaps an addition to our list? http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

Hi altostrata :-)

His suggestion for a slow taper was to go in at 10mg and taper off over 2 months. I asked if people got better when they reinstated and tapered like that and he said something along the lines of That's hard to say. He's very honest. (I won't be tapering like that! I'm sticking with my 1mg for the time being.)

Sadly, I'm not sure if he would want to be put on the list of recommended doctors. When I was in the grips of the psychiatric team I said I wanted to break away from them and be referred back to him. He look worried and said that he didn't feel able to do that as psychiatry wasn't his area of expertise (although in my opinion he has his head screwed on more than anyone I saw in the psychiatric team).

I will see how things go over time. Hopefully, my situation may be making the doctors more aware of what these drugs can do. Who knows.. Perhaps he will be reluctant to prescribe ssris in future.

29 June 2014 - med free

I'm sure I will later regret posting this. I guess because none of you know me in person, I feel I can. I know we're all in the same boat and I don't want to sound like a self pitying victim, which I'm sure I do.

One of the hardest things about this is the loss. My mum died a few years ago. My sister emigrates to the other side of the world in a few months and I can't get to spend time with her before she goes. My dad is 80, has recently had a heart attack and has moved to the other end of the country so I can't get to spend his last years with him. It's devastating. I know others here are going through much worse and my post could be really annoying so I apologise. I know this is nothing compared to what others have to deal with.

I want to work again. I'm sure loads of us feel that way.

I'm so sorry. I'm going to kick myself for sending this. In the middle of one of those crying spells!

Holding at 1mg.

29 June 2014 - med free

Oh WT!

Don't ever feel you can't post things like that. We all need to do it and what better place than here.

Loss of family contact because of distance has to be the hardest thing to go through.

All I can offer is sympathy and a {{hug}}, I know you you feel. It's OK.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Oh, thank you CW5600, I really appreciate that and it was just what I needed. Thank you.

I've yet to add any posts on your thread..I'm gradually reading all the threads and getting to know everyone.

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

WT, your grief is not annoying at all! It's completely understandable. What a rough situation to be dealing with so much loss while you're in withdrawal. Of course it's absolutely devastating. I am so, so sorry.

Please don't worry about being annoying. I find you delightful and not annoying in the least. You're the kind of person I find it most satisfying to work with on this forum.

I've lost so much because of these drugs, it's a huge source of grief and pain for me, particularly because of how much it has harmed my daughters as well. One of the ways that I live with that is to bring something good out of it, and the way I do that is by helping others. I don't know how I would be able to live with my history, my losses, the way my life has gone, if I couldn't turn it into something positive.

And people like you, people who listen, and work with me, and let me help them--people like you make this possible for me. You very directly impact my life in a beautiful way, by allowing me to bring something good out of something that's really too ugly to live with otherwise.

So please share your journey, please feel free to be yourself, and please don't worry about causing trouble. I'm really glad you're here.

Oh Rhi, what a beautiful post. Thank you so much. It's helped me feel less alone as has CW5600's post.

I cannot begin to imagine what you have been through. For whatever reason I never had children. I do have a niece and nephews (sort of, I'm not married but my boyfriends neice and nephews are like my own) and I want to be a proper auntie to them. I see them when I can and smile and hide it all but I can't manage to see them often just now.

I am sure your daughters know how deeply all this has impacted you and love you to pieces.

I have only suffered a very short time compared with you. I feel the loss of so many things and my sharp brain and creativity are mashed..this is devastating because I wanted to write novels. I kind of feel like all this, as horrific as it is, is happening for a reason and that reason is to help others. I can't help others unless I've been to hell and back myself and known the horror of it. That's why all this is happening. Sometimes what we think we are going to do in life isn't what we end up doing. This is obviously what I am meant to do.

When I am well enough, I want to do everything I can to raise awareness of the horrific effects of these drugs and try in whatever way I can to effect some kind of change, even if it takes years. I hope to be able to help others who are victims of these evil meds. So, I have to get better!

Thanks again, Rhi.

29 June 2014 - med free

Just thought I'd make a few notes so I can where I'm at with withdrawal etc at the moment so later I can look back and see whats changed.

On day 9 of reinstatement at 1mg. An interesting journey. Some days are better than others. Tue this week I actually managed to go out of the house and wander round a garden centre (with all the raging symptoms). Wednesday a friend came over for a few hours. Thurs I got out to see the doctor. So I managed a few things.

Yesterday..lots of brain zaps on waking. Massive crying spell that lasted hours. Complete exhaustion. The usual feelings that my legs and arms aren't attached to my body. Moving my legs around constantly as always. Still experiencing fear when doing simple things like looking at a serene picture. Amazing what these drugs do. Less hot flushes. Still full of a constant adrenaliney feeling throughout my body that makes me want to scream. Very hard to look at my iPad or the telly because of the pressure in my left eye. Felt like I had cataracts or something. Stayed in my dressing gone all day. Hands still shake when I do simple. Would really like a few minutes relief from the akathisia.

Today, brain a bit less zappy. Fewer hot flushes. A tiny bit less tired. Eye, a tiny bit less pressure. Don't have such a huge urge to cry. Full of adrenaline in arms and legs. It's building up after taking my sertraline dose. Happy days.

Wish I could take a lorazepam about am resisting the urge. I am strong. I can do this.

Diet..no dairy, gluten or sugar. Been eating too many bags of plain potato crisps so I'm gonna cut those out.

Supplements..3 omega 3 1000 mg fish oil capsules a day, 2 vitamin E 200 i.u. (whatever that means) capsules a day, 2 magnesium 150mg tablets a day.

Guilty pleasure..solpadeine tablets (paracetamol and caffeine)..around 2 a day. Not sure whether this is a good idea or not. They do seem to slightly raise my mood and make things a little bit more bearable. Before the ssri nightmare, I used to take solpadeine quite a bit..I found it helped with my chronic fatigue and menopause symptoms (been perminopausal for many years..think I am now post menopausal..it's been about 9 months since anything of that nature happened).

Getting tinnitus and multiple body twitches, although I had both of these for years before taking any psych drugs. Maybe I've had some kind of low grade neurological problem for years. Actually, in peri menopause, I'd also get the occasional brain zap but it didn't bother me because I put it down to menopause. I've had pretty much every single menopause symptom going but all that was a walk in the park compared to this!!

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Aw sweetie, yuck, sounds like you're really going through it.

May I suggest you stay away from caffeine? Most of us find we can't tolerate it during withdrawal. You can take paracetemol by itself (it's called acetaminophen or Tylenol in the US for anyone who is wondering).

I'd give the caffeine free life a try if I were you, the last thing you need with akathisia is extra stimulation.

HUGS!

Thanks Rhi. Sorry, I meant codeine (typing errors galore) which is probably even worse!!! And the tablets do have caffeine in them too. I reckon it's the codeine that helps my mood a tiny bit. Really, though, I just shouldn't have them.

Thank you :-)

29 June 2014 - med free