SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Skin issues: hives, acne, dryness, itching etc.

Maybe

I read that itch and rashes can be caused by hormones. I also have an itchy rash on my inner thighs.

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

I have had intense itching on my right foot since last June. I eliminated dairy for a month and eggs for two weeks, but got no relief from the itching. I then concluded it must be thyroid related, so I waited it out and kept on scratching it. My thyroid is finally stabilized, but I still itch. I've made a mess out of my foot. It spread up my left leg and now it's on my hands. I've recently tried putting an ice pack on it for a few minutes and that seems to take the itch away. I think it's a vicious cycle, so I'm trying to break it by using the ice packs. So far it's been working, but I only started doing it today.

Whatever you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body. Think hormone and nicotine patches. I'm opting for the natural route, however inconvenient it is because I don't want the long term effects from steroids and other drugs.

1989 to 2008: Prozac then Paxil then Celexa.

Numerous attempts to quit.

Then I got off the SSRI poop-out merry-go-round.

11-12 week taper.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear

If you're going through hell, keep walking

The only way out is through

After They started me on Paxil, almost immediately I started to experience a severe burning sensation in my legs. actually, mostly the thighs and upper legs. The pharmacist said it waS A negative reaction, however, my doctor and family told me to stick it out an I did. the burning sensation eventually went away. After i weaned Paxil, all was okay, after a few months I started getting those burning sensations out of no where, they were severe. it was at this point the docs thought I had MS. After numerous tests, they decided it wasnt MS, it was a relapse in my anxiety. Thats when they put me on Lex again. The burning stopped. Well, I am 14 weeks off Lexapro. Guess what? Here is the burning again. My entire right leg. down to my foot. Its awful. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this or why, if anyone knows, the burning started 14 weeks after my last pill? among all my other symptoms, this added, its kind of making me lose it again.....Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions? I get a monthly b12 shot....doesnt really do anything...lol

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

Ajnjj,

Both my husband and his brother got burning feet on Prozac. They couldn't tolerate it. I don't know what the mechanism is. It *seems* like side effects that are known to be treatment-emergent also happen during tapering/withdrawal (mood lability in particular). This is just my informal observation. I'm sure someone will have better info.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Is it worse at different times of the day? Or associated with any activity -- like bathing?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Not associated with an activity. Seems to come and go. So strange it just started again out of the blue. Never had it before the paxil. And it travels!!!!

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

Geez, I feel like I just pick up topics left and right and say "Yep, I do that too". Yes, I get this sometimes on my back. It seems to correlate with back pain. It almost feels like I put some Icy-Hot on it. I was also suspected of having MS for other reasons but found no lesions. So they don't know. Who knows. smh.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I also have this symptom on and off. Mostly during the course of some weeks, but very irregular. Then it is gone again for a month or so. It also changes quite a lot. Started with burning all over my body for some minutes when going to bed, to needles and pins in some areas or whole body to burning around throat and neck and round again.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm a little over 6 months off lexapro. I have developed a skin tingling, bug crawling sensation similair to when I first had a bad reaction to paxil. What does it mean???

Anxiety comes and for a throughout day. Head symptoms went away for a little while but are now back....shaking vision went away but is now back. What does it all mean??

Is my anxiety back? Is it a disease? Am I actually crazy???

I thought I was doing so well now Im scared again.

Med History

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

I have the skin tingling sensation too, even after reinstating. I don;t think it's anything to worry about, it's just our nervous system trying to balance itself out.

From what I have read, it seems to be normal for symptoms to come and go in waves. As time goes on the bad waves get shorter and good waves get longer.

It's not a disease and you're not crazy, it's just your nervous system recovering from the shock of withdrawal.

I know it's scary and you want to get better now, we all do, but it will get better eventually, it just takes time.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm a little over 6 months off lexapro. I have developed a skin tingling, bug crawling sensation similair to when I first had a bad reaction to paxil. What does it mean???

Anxiety comes and for a throughout day. Head symptoms went away for a little while but are now back....shaking vision went away but is now back. What does it all mean??

Is my anxiety back? Is it a disease? Am I actually crazy???

I thought I was doing so well now Im scared again.

Hi ajnjj,

Your symptoms, although distressing, are not dangerous and are not a sign of mental illness or disease. Everything you describe is a symptom of anti-depressant withdrawal. The question that some of the "old timers" can help you with is whether or not reinstating a very small dose will be helpful or not. Some people get relief from reinstating a small amount and then doing a really, really, slow taper. Some people do not. It is very individual. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

skin crawling sensations are generally some form of parasthesia...and are often associated with drug withdrawal.

there are all sorts of parasthesias and they can all vary greatly in severity as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasthesia

they can be anything from mildly annoying to painfully acute...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I gotta say, after 6 months being off these drugs I am never reinstating. I don't care what happens to me.

I've never felt crazy like this. Never felt helpless to symptoms. I have awful allergies and haven't taken an antihistamine in over 7 months.

Everything in my body , especially my head, is so messed up. Reinstating, not an option. But I thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Gives me slight comfort.

I truly thought after 6 months id be feeling way better.

Med History

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

I gotta say, after 6 months being off these drugs I am never reinstating. I don't care what happens to me.

I've never felt crazy like this. Never felt helpless to symptoms. I have awful allergies and haven't taken an antihistamine in over 7 months.

Everything in my body , especially my head, is so messed up. Reinstating, not an option. But I thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Gives me slight comfort.

I truly thought after 6 months id be feeling way better.

I am so sorry for your suffering. For many, myself included, this process takes much time. Much more time than I ever thought possible. Setbacks, improvements, followed by setbacks and then hopefully restoration of full health. This site has been a source of great comfort for me and I hope it does the same for you. :) Many hugs, Annej

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

ajnjj ~

I do admire your determination to not reinstate. That takes guts. The symptoms you have described are WD symptoms. When you initially had the onset of anxiety you probably had physical symptoms (we all do) but I bet they were nothing like this.

Anxiety is anxiety, but the other stuff is not the original problem. Just look at everyone's symptoms, we all have the same stuff. When we all first had anxitey, Ibet we did not all have the same symptoms.

When I got off Lexapro It took a good year to have the effects wear off. Lexapro was a hellacious drug to get off of for me.

Nikki B)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

hey guys,

Thanks, I get it. I go through waves as you all do. I know we are all suffering and I know we are all fighting. Today, for instance, I had to fight to keep my attention focused. I literally felt like my brain was going in super slow motion. It was awful!

I hope one day we can all look back and say that this experience made us stronger, smarter and better off....however, it feels lke its making me slower, crazy and sick....

If I can say one thing, I have noticed some WD symptoms have faded. And have not returned. That is a good thing. I can handle the crawling skin. I can handle the tingling/numbness. I can even handle the stomach issues or weird pains. But i gotta tell ya, these head symptoms....Whew. They get to me. This includes the visual stuff guys, its pretty intense. I stopped taking the fish oil about 2 months ago. I took 2 the other day when the head symptoms started again. Well, I almost came out of my skin. I felt like I was on speeed. The next day I took them agan, figured that I never had a reaction from fish oil before so it must have been a fluke. No way, again, got that speedy feeling. So I guess no more fish oil for a while.

I wonder why that happened all of a sudden? Anyone have anything like that happen? Anyone feeling any better these days?

Med History

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having that creepy crawly feeling in my skin & what feels like in my brain. Ugh.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• 4 months later...

I've had serious skin problems since having been put on psych drugs in 1995. What i'm experiencing now --10 months into withdrawal --is crystal-like substances coming out of my pores. I know it sounds very strange ( I would never say this to a western medical doctor, although my acupuncturist is interested), but it's a real thing. I'm wondering if 17 years of multiple drugs can store in your tissues, and crystalize, and maybe my body is now starting to kick these substances out?

I'm convinced the drugs are still in my tissue. Ive heard otherwise but I don't see why this isn't possible. 17 years of 3-5 psych drugs? hmmm. ANyone have thoughts?

• Administrator

I don't think it's crystallized drugs coming out of your pores.

I don't know what it is, but I suspect the drugs and withdrawal have changed your metabolism, including the way your skin might process sweat, sebum, etc.

If it's dry, you might try moisturizer.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I developed this flaky stuff on my scalp, not like dandruff, but more like flaky sores. If I scratch them off they bleed. I can't remember what it's called. But it only started after using these meds. Selsun Blue works to get rid of it. I haven't noticed anything out of my skin pores though. Just my scalp.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you're talking about. Google keratosis pilaris and see if it fits your symptoms. I noticed this when I was taking Cymbalta especially on my upper arm and chest.......I also had extremely dry skin. The keratosis pilaris symptoms went away after I weaned off the antidepressants. I kept telling my Dr. that it looked like little dew drops were coming out of my pores........he thought I was nuts. This is just one of MANY weird symptoms I endured. My Dr. said in no way were the antidepressants to blame. That statement was not only untrue, but caused me to suffer on these poisons for far too long. I weaned myself off and many symptoms went away especially after the long withdrawl. He is no longer my Dr.

• 1 year later...

since I started reducing from 20mg I started breaking out, now at 14mg and not stable I'm breaking out very badly. Are the two things correlated, withdrawal and acne? 

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

end of 2010, prescribed paxil 20mg

1 year off cold turkey  september 2011- september 2012 (nightmare) escitalopram for 4 months (didn't help).

RI september 2012 20mg

october 2013 crash reaching 10mg

10/31/2013 updose to 14mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

November-December 2014 Big mistake, skipping doses BIG Crash

January 2015- 12 mg

I don't think so Lex...I have suffered acne on a off for a long time..are you eating a lot of sugar?  stay away from it for a few weeks and see - its a known toxin! If I avoid it my skin clears up quickly and effectively, try to avoid dairy too - I think some people have also spotted a link with it.

SC

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

well if you consider that wd can impact strongly on your hormonal system, I would not exclude that some link exist

end of 2010, prescribed paxil 20mg

1 year off cold turkey  september 2011- september 2012 (nightmare) escitalopram for 4 months (didn't help).

RI september 2012 20mg

october 2013 crash reaching 10mg

10/31/2013 updose to 14mg

1/3/2014-13mg

2/23/2014-12mg

4/6/2014-11mg

august 2014-10mg

November-December 2014 Big mistake, skipping doses BIG Crash

January 2015- 12 mg

I have had the same exact experience. I had clear skin throughout my whole life (even puberty) until I was 26 years old and my taper went below 20mg.  My skin started breaking out and hasn't stopped since. Five years later (still tapering) and I have a face full of scars, and still breaking out. I manage to keep it somewhat under control with a benzoyl peroxide regimen and lactic acid lotion. I miss my flawless skin. These drugs wreak havoc with your hormones so I absolutely believe it's WD.

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

• 9 months later...

Hi. I was searching for skin topics and I came across this one.

In withdrawal, the skin on my face keeps going really dry hard and flaky. A couple of times this week, it's like I've had a skin peel or something. I've literally had to rub all the flaky skin off my face. It's really sore. I'm not using anything different on my face. Every shampoo I use makes my ski worse and my scalp is ridiculously flaky too. I have hard skin on my ear lobes. There seems to be no moisture in my skin anywhere.

Anyone else had this? Withdrawal really does wipe out every ounce of self esteem we have, doesn't it? I used to always have low self esteem and before these drugs, I was in a really good place with that. Now, my self esteem is shot to shreds.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

• 2 months later...

Hi. I'm having a rough night. It's four in the morning and I'm tired but can't sleep. It's for many reasons, but one big reason is that I'm having one of those nights when I feel allergic to all kinds of materials. My skin isn't itching, but I have this extreme "unpleasant feeling" all over my body, that I don't know how to get rid off. I've moved around from my bed to the floor, from my floor to my couch, changing clothes more than five times, but nothing can take away the unpleasant skin-sensations.

Does anybody recognize this, and if so, is there anything I can do about it? I can't see any connection between different fabrics and these sensations, but maybe there's something else that's causing them? Can I reduce these unpleasant sensations by excluding gluten or wheat from my diet or something? Will the sensations reduce over time?

If anybody have had this problem, and now is free from it, please tell me about it and give me some hope!

I haven't written my drug story in my profile yet, but I'm currently (on the day actually, which feels very sad) two months off an adverse reaction to Prozac.

Thanks in advance and all the best!

/An atm very sad swedishgirl with little hope.

Adverse reaction to Prozac Christmas 2011. In withdrawal for a year but didn't knew what was wrong with me, therefore made the same horrible mistake again on Christmas 2012 - adverse reaction to Prozac again. Been in withdrawal since. Physical symptoms (bad headaches, nausea, tinnitus, dizziness, strange sensations in my body, rashes, etc), has improved a lot, but mentally I'm in a constants fog and I have no motivation for life and everything life has to offer. Numb emotions. Also struggling with a 40 pounds weight gain.

• Moderator Emeritus

several similar topics merged

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I also have a skin thing too, I took a different brand of fish oil two nights ago and for about an hour after my skin felt like fire as well as my eyes. I really hate having to wear any clothes other than loose sweats. Never was like this before tapering. Also, last night as I fell asleep I heard what sounded like water running then scratching sounds in head while my fingers felt like they were being pulled had to force myself up like from sleep paralysis.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

A lot of these 'weird skin things' are symptoms of a nervous system reacting erratically to various normal stimuli. It will eventually calm down but in the mean time, soothing baths, and magnesium via soaking in epsom salts baths MAY help. Distraction is also necessary but it is inconvenient to do when you are trying to sleep. Just be assured, a lot of this stuff goes away in time.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

So has anyone had their skin return to normal when they got off ssri's? My skin has gotten so thin prob from elevated cortisol for so long.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

• Mentor

My skin has been awful all the years on these drugs.   I didnt realise.  Scabby face, scabby scalp, and of all things constant pain in my left ear  .  Now I find out it is all the AD use.  Now I have given them up and in WD, my skin is like that, all sort of peely, but the ear soreness and scabby face has all but gone (I hope).

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• 1 month later...

This started a few days ago. In my upper back just on one side towards the shoulder I have this strange pain/sensation when I lightly touch or brush my fingers against the skin. It's freaking me out. I'm withdrawing off Luvox - currently down to25mg from 75mg and have been having a horrific time with withdrawal.

Anyone else experience symptoms similar to this? Any reassurance would be much appareciated.

Dee

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dee,

Is this anything like a burning sensation?  Different kinds of nerve pain and unusual sensations are common in withdrawal.  This topic on 'skin issues' has some discussion about it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/611-skin-issues/

A lot of these 'weird skin things' are symptoms of a nervous system reacting erratically to various normal stimuli. It will eventually calm down but in the mean time, soothing baths, and magnesium via soaking in epsom salts baths MAY help. Distraction is also necessary but it is inconvenient to do when you are trying to sleep. Just be assured, a lot of this stuff goes away in time.

If you are really worried about it, you could check with your doctor.

Please would you start an introduction topic for yourself in our intro/update section, so we can get to know you better.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I have been suffering constant needling pain all over on top of other pain for the entire withdrawal for 2 years, and it can cuse heart failing sometimes in my case when it's very severe. My symptoms meet the entire set for fybromygia.

Lots ppl have this from either side effect or/and WD.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear about all your pain.

I had an MRI this morning due to tingling and electric zap sensations all over my body (seriously - every single area has been affected at one point or another, even my tongue and inside my nose!) I am certain it's due to the Lexapro withdrawal, but it's still frightening, especially if you are prone to hypochondria. I will get the results tomorrow and hopefully that will put an end to my paranoia about potential sinister causes of this issue.

Most of the posts in this thread are quite old now but if you read this can you let us know how your skin sensations are doing now?? Thanks!

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy