Maybe

Skin issues: hives, acne, dryness etc.

102 posts in this topic

Geez, I feel like I just pick up topics left and right and say "Yep, I do that too". Yes, I get this sometimes on my back. It seems to correlate with back pain. It almost feels like I put some Icy-Hot on it. I was also suspected of having MS for other reasons but found no lesions. So they don't know. Who knows. smh.

I also have this symptom on and off. Mostly during the course of some weeks, but very irregular. Then it is gone again for a month or so. It also changes quite a lot. Started with burning all over my body for some minutes when going to bed, to needles and pins in some areas or whole body to burning around throat and neck and round again.

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm a little over 6 months off lexapro. I have developed a skin tingling, bug crawling sensation similair to when I first had a bad reaction to paxil. What does it mean???

Anxiety comes and for a throughout day. Head symptoms went away for a little while but are now back....shaking vision went away but is now back. What does it all mean??

Is my anxiety back? Is it a disease? Am I actually crazy???

I thought I was doing so well now Im scared again.

I have the skin tingling sensation too, even after reinstating. I don;t think it's anything to worry about, it's just our nervous system trying to balance itself out.

From what I have read, it seems to be normal for symptoms to come and go in waves. As time goes on the bad waves get shorter and good waves get longer.

It's not a disease and you're not crazy, it's just your nervous system recovering from the shock of withdrawal.

I know it's scary and you want to get better now, we all do, but it will get better eventually, it just takes time.

Hi all,

Quick question. I'm a little over 6 months off lexapro. I have developed a skin tingling, bug crawling sensation similair to when I first had a bad reaction to paxil. What does it mean???

Anxiety comes and for a throughout day. Head symptoms went away for a little while but are now back....shaking vision went away but is now back. What does it all mean??

Is my anxiety back? Is it a disease? Am I actually crazy???

I thought I was doing so well now Im scared again.

Hi ajnjj,

Your symptoms, although distressing, are not dangerous and are not a sign of mental illness or disease. Everything you describe is a symptom of anti-depressant withdrawal. The question that some of the "old timers" can help you with is whether or not reinstating a very small dose will be helpful or not. Some people get relief from reinstating a small amount and then doing a really, really, slow taper. Some people do not. It is very individual. :) Hugs, Annej

skin crawling sensations are generally some form of parasthesia...and are often associated with drug withdrawal.

there are all sorts of parasthesias and they can all vary greatly in severity as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasthesia

they can be anything from mildly annoying to painfully acute...

I gotta say, after 6 months being off these drugs I am never reinstating. I don't care what happens to me.

I've never felt crazy like this. Never felt helpless to symptoms. I have awful allergies and haven't taken an antihistamine in over 7 months.

Everything in my body , especially my head, is so messed up. Reinstating, not an option. But I thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Gives me slight comfort.

I truly thought after 6 months id be feeling way better.

I gotta say, after 6 months being off these drugs I am never reinstating. I don't care what happens to me.

I've never felt crazy like this. Never felt helpless to symptoms. I have awful allergies and haven't taken an antihistamine in over 7 months.

Everything in my body , especially my head, is so messed up. Reinstating, not an option. But I thank you all for your advice and suggestions. Gives me slight comfort.

I truly thought after 6 months id be feeling way better.

I am so sorry for your suffering. For many, myself included, this process takes much time. Much more time than I ever thought possible. Setbacks, improvements, followed by setbacks and then hopefully restoration of full health. This site has been a source of great comfort for me and I hope it does the same for you. :) Many hugs, Annej

ajnjj ~

I do admire your determination to not reinstate. That takes guts. The symptoms you have described are WD symptoms. When you initially had the onset of anxiety you probably had physical symptoms (we all do) but I bet they were nothing like this.

Anxiety is anxiety, but the other stuff is not the original problem. Just look at everyone's symptoms, we all have the same stuff. When we all first had anxitey, Ibet we did not all have the same symptoms.

When I got off Lexapro It took a good year to have the effects wear off. Lexapro was a hellacious drug to get off of for me.

Nikki B)

hey guys,

Thanks, I get it. I go through waves as you all do. I know we are all suffering and I know we are all fighting. Today, for instance, I had to fight to keep my attention focused. I literally felt like my brain was going in super slow motion. It was awful!

I hope one day we can all look back and say that this experience made us stronger, smarter and better off....however, it feels lke its making me slower, crazy and sick....

If I can say one thing, I have noticed some WD symptoms have faded. And have not returned. That is a good thing. I can handle the crawling skin. I can handle the tingling/numbness. I can even handle the stomach issues or weird pains. But i gotta tell ya, these head symptoms....Whew. They get to me. This includes the visual stuff guys, its pretty intense. I stopped taking the fish oil about 2 months ago. I took 2 the other day when the head symptoms started again. Well, I almost came out of my skin. I felt like I was on speeed. The next day I took them agan, figured that I never had a reaction from fish oil before so it must have been a fluke. No way, again, got that speedy feeling. So I guess no more fish oil for a while.

I wonder why that happened all of a sudden? Anyone have anything like that happen? Anyone feeling any better these days?

I've been having that creepy crawly feeling in my skin & what feels like in my brain. Ugh.

since I started reducing from 20mg I started breaking out, now at 14mg and not stable I'm breaking out very badly. Are the two things correlated, withdrawal and acne? 

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

I don't think so Lex...I have suffered acne on a off for a long time..are you eating a lot of sugar?  stay away from it for a few weeks and see - its a known toxin! If I avoid it my skin clears up quickly and effectively, try to avoid dairy too - I think some people have also spotted a link with it.

SC

well if you consider that wd can impact strongly on your hormonal system, I would not exclude that some link exist

I have had the same exact experience. I had clear skin throughout my whole life (even puberty) until I was 26 years old and my taper went below 20mg.  My skin started breaking out and hasn't stopped since. Five years later (still tapering) and I have a face full of scars, and still breaking out. I manage to keep it somewhat under control with a benzoyl peroxide regimen and lactic acid lotion. I miss my flawless skin. These drugs wreak havoc with your hormones so I absolutely believe it's WD.

Hi. I was searching for skin topics and I came across this one.

In withdrawal, the skin on my face keeps going really dry hard and flaky. A couple of times this week, it's like I've had a skin peel or something. I've literally had to rub all the flaky skin off my face. It's really sore. I'm not using anything different on my face. Every shampoo I use makes my ski worse and my scalp is ridiculously flaky too. I have hard skin on my ear lobes. There seems to be no moisture in my skin anywhere.

Anyone else had this? Withdrawal really does wipe out every ounce of self esteem we have, doesn't it? I used to always have low self esteem and before these drugs, I was in a really good place with that. Now, my self esteem is shot to shreds.

Hi. I'm having a rough night. It's four in the morning and I'm tired but can't sleep. It's for many reasons, but one big reason is that I'm having one of those nights when I feel allergic to all kinds of materials. My skin isn't itching, but I have this extreme "unpleasant feeling" all over my body, that I don't know how to get rid off. I've moved around from my bed to the floor, from my floor to my couch, changing clothes more than five times, but nothing can take away the unpleasant skin-sensations.

Does anybody recognize this, and if so, is there anything I can do about it? I can't see any connection between different fabrics and these sensations, but maybe there's something else that's causing them? Can I reduce these unpleasant sensations by excluding gluten or wheat from my diet or something? Will the sensations reduce over time?

If anybody have had this problem, and now is free from it, please tell me about it and give me some hope!

I haven't written my drug story in my profile yet, but I'm currently (on the day actually, which feels very sad) two months off an adverse reaction to Prozac.

Thanks in advance and all the best!

/An atm very sad swedishgirl with little hope.

several similar topics merged

I also have a skin thing too, I took a different brand of fish oil two nights ago and for about an hour after my skin felt like fire as well as my eyes. I really hate having to wear any clothes other than loose sweats. Never was like this before tapering. Also, last night as I fell asleep I heard what sounded like water running then scratching sounds in head while my fingers felt like they were being pulled had to force myself up like from sleep paralysis.

A lot of these 'weird skin things' are symptoms of a nervous system reacting erratically to various normal stimuli. It will eventually calm down but in the mean time, soothing baths, and magnesium via soaking in epsom salts baths MAY help. Distraction is also necessary but it is inconvenient to do when you are trying to sleep. Just be assured, a lot of this stuff goes away in time.

So has anyone had their skin return to normal when they got off ssri's? My skin has gotten so thin prob from elevated cortisol for so long.

My skin has been awful all the years on these drugs.   I didnt realise.  Scabby face, scabby scalp, and of all things constant pain in my left ear  .  Now I find out it is all the AD use.  Now I have given them up and in WD, my skin is like that, all sort of peely, but the ear soreness and scabby face has all but gone (I hope).

This started a few days ago. In my upper back just on one side towards the shoulder I have this strange pain/sensation when I lightly touch or brush my fingers against the skin. It's freaking me out. I'm withdrawing off Luvox - currently down to25mg from 75mg and have been having a horrific time with withdrawal.

Anyone else experience symptoms similar to this? Any reassurance would be much appareciated.

Dee

Hi Dee,

Is this anything like a burning sensation?  Different kinds of nerve pain and unusual sensations are common in withdrawal.  This topic on 'skin issues' has some discussion about it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/611-skin-issues/

A lot of these 'weird skin things' are symptoms of a nervous system reacting erratically to various normal stimuli. It will eventually calm down but in the mean time, soothing baths, and magnesium via soaking in epsom salts baths MAY help. Distraction is also necessary but it is inconvenient to do when you are trying to sleep. Just be assured, a lot of this stuff goes away in time.

If you are really worried about it, you could check with your doctor.

Please would you start an introduction topic for yourself in our intro/update section, so we can get to know you better.

I have been suffering constant needling pain all over on top of other pain for the entire withdrawal for 2 years, and it can cuse heart failing sometimes in my case when it's very severe. My symptoms meet the entire set for fybromygia.

Lots ppl have this from either side effect or/and WD.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear about all your pain.

I had an MRI this morning due to tingling and electric zap sensations all over my body (seriously - every single area has been affected at one point or another, even my tongue and inside my nose!) I am certain it's due to the Lexapro withdrawal, but it's still frightening, especially if you are prone to hypochondria. I will get the results tomorrow and hopefully that will put an end to my paranoia about potential sinister causes of this issue.

Most of the posts in this thread are quite old now but if you read this can you let us know how your skin sensations are doing now?? Thanks!

Hi someday,

We have very similar meds history with lex etc. except for you have been on higher doses and tapered off now while I am still playing games with this evil drug.

Tingling sensation is most common to lex users, you can find specific topic for that in the pins and deedling sensation topic. I believe it's not a type of skin problems ppl are talikng about here.

I will find the link for you next.

Hey guys! I have been reading a lot around the internet about this topic and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Back in high school I tried Wellbutrin and LOVED it however two weeks in, I got hives all over my body which was very discouraging because, to this day, it is the only medicine I have ever liked. I am currently weaning off Prozac and would really love to try Wellbutrin again. I have read quite a bit about how people have been starting the medicine, getting hives, letting the medicine clear out of their system, then starting back up again at a lower dose and adding an antihistamine (Claritin/Zyrtec). I know of course you have to be careful of severe reactions, etc, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and what did you do for it? Or have you found anything else similar to Wellbutrin that you liked?

Thanks!

You are allergic to Wellbutrin. Taking a psychiatric drug to which you are allergic can lead to life-threatening problems.

This is a site for going off drugs. As such, we do not discuss the comparative merits of psychiatric drugs in order to get re-medicated. There are many sites on the Web, such as http://www.depressionforums.org/, where members enthusiastically dish about their drug cocktails. I suggest you go there for the discussion you seek.

hi, i wanted to avoid starting a new thread on rash-related withdrawal issues so ill post my question here.  ive come into a hives-type rash stage of withdrawal and havent really had something quite like this before.  i dont know if its histamine-related or due to a sensitivity to something external that im suddenly not doing so well with anymore or what.  but my question is more about activities---in your similar experiences, is it better to avoid showering or can showering help with the symptoms?  and what about exercise, or foods?  i checked into the food area of histaminic problems, but i want to cover all my bases, especially since dietary changes have not mitigated things.  withdrawal has left my skin overdried, cracking, bleeding, and also itching intractable in the extremities for the full 3 years, but less localized rashes are a new thing as a persistent state.

the rash begins in small dots, almost like bug-bites, and spreads to broader areas of reddened, slightly raised skin with no pale center (or any other color differentiation), and with abnormal borders/asymmetry.  sometimes they seem to ooze a bit of oil or pus on the surface, and they have a painful tingle to them more than an itch.  it has been several days and they continue to spread instead of calming down or diminishing; they appear in areas exposed to sunlight and air, and areas that arent, areas that contact outside materials/surfaces and areas that dont, and are not focused on mucuous membrane regions (like underarms) or places that often see more abrasion from clothing or movement.  they are spreading across my chest, back, arms, neck, and legs, somewhat radiating from my stomach region in all directions.  this may very well continue getting worse, and i have no way to see a doctor right now (not that theyd be likely to have anything helpful to say anyway).  im avoiding using my lycra/polyester wrist braces for carpal tunnel (which ive only briefly used for a few days lately due to concern about the materials) in case that has any contributing influence, and aside from trying those a few days before the rash began developing, i have not changed my diet, exercise, sleeping, products, or general environment.  just sitting here makes me feel like my skin is slowly burning off my body, but luckily it hasnt yet gotten to the point of severity of pain where i feel like something must be done immediately towards relief.

ive read several other threads on here mentioning hives and histaminic responses, and read a bit elsewhere, but this is the sort of specificity that individual members seem best suited to address, even if you cant predict the symptoms or reactions in another withdrawing person.  thanks for reading.

Hello everyone - I am a new member and was advised to share my hives situation, and whether it is or isn't Paxil withdrawal related.   Here is a copy ad paste of my post.

Hello everyone, I am a first time poster, long time Paxil user.   I have been on Paxil for about 12 years or so, prescribed by my doctor to combat anxiety.  My anxiety was never severe, I just fell down the slippery slope of Paxil use after what should have just been a bump in the emotional road for me.  Long story short, I've decided to taper off of the Paxil 20mg (down from 40mg a couple years prior). 

This year my doc advised me to cut from 20mg to 10mg. (I know now, way too much and too fast).  I had brain zaps, irritablilty, and vivid dreams (which I actually don't mind since they are usually pleasant) and some dizziness.  After a few weeks I was feeling OK enough to go from 10mg to 5mg. I was good for about 3 weeks.  But the next two weeks I suffered from severe anxiety - unlike any kind of despairing feeling I've ever had in my life! I suddenly became an emotional wreck and was just at wits end.  So I went from 5mg Paxil back up to 10mg.  A week or so later - hives.

Hives, - small ones, on my neck or forearms. They'd go away after a couple hours so I didn't put too much worry into it.  Then a week after these small hive appearances, I had a really bad outbreak of hives on my legs, which I thought was just a heat rash. I didn't take an anti-histamine, I hate the way they make me feel.  Big mistake. I ended up waking up at 4 in the morning, itching terribly all over my body.  I was searching for Benadryl downstairs when my wife found me - at which point I was getting dizzy and nauseous. I was going into anaphylactic shock.  My wife and I both thought I was dying, my children sobbing as they waited by the front door for the ambulance to arrive. 

I've never had allergies really.  I am allergic to cats, it turns out, but I've had my cat for 3 years (a Persian which I found to not feel allergic reactions to in the past- and who has since been living with my brother till this all gets ironed out).

So this anaphylaxis was not something I was prepared for.  An amulance ride later, they told me I had some kind of allergic reaction.

A few weeks later, after seeing an allergist, he suspected my bizarre reaction to be caused by a medicine (not a food or other allergen).  I only take Paxil, and Propecia. (which I've stopped last week to try to rule that out as a cause of the hives).  I still get small areas of redness on my skin, primarily when I wake up in the AM.  And for now I'm on antihistimines, which I dislike greatly.

I am wondering if the traumatic, despair-like anxiety feelings I suffered, and then yo-yo-ing back to a higher dosage of Paxil did a number on my body and made me overly sensitive to histamines, or my cat.  Since my allergist suspected Paxil as a possible cause of the hives/anaphylaxis, I have since tapered back down to 5mg, and three days ago down to 2.5mg.  I suspect its not the actual Paxil causing the hives, but the withdrawal itself, the toll it takes on my body and mind. 

Just hoping putting my story out there, if anyone can relate to such a physical reaction like what I experienced, and if they too, think it is related to the Paxil withdrawl.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

hi, i wanted to avoid starting a new thread on rash-related withdrawal issues so ill post my question here. ive come into a hives-type rash stage of withdrawal and havent really had something quite like this before. i dont know if its histamine-related or due to a sensitivity to something external that im suddenly not doing so well with anymore or what. but my question is more about activities---in your similar experiences, is it better to avoid showering or can showering help with the symptoms? and what about exercise, or foods? i checked into the food area of histaminic problems, but i want to cover all my bases, especially since dietary changes have not mitigated things. withdrawal has left my skin overdried, cracking, bleeding, and also itching intractable in the extremities for the full 3 years, but less localized rashes are a new thing as a persistent state.

the rash begins in small dots, almost like bug-bites, and spreads to broader areas of reddened, slightly raised skin with no pale center (or any other color differentiation), and with abnormal borders/asymmetry. sometimes they seem to ooze a bit of oil or pus on the surface, and they have a painful tingle to them more than an itch. it has been several days and they continue to spread instead of calming down or diminishing; they appear in areas exposed to sunlight and air, and areas that arent, areas that contact outside materials/surfaces and areas that dont, and are not focused on mucuous membrane regions (like underarms) or places that often see more abrasion from clothing or movement. they are spreading across my chest, back, arms, neck, and legs, somewhat radiating from my stomach region in all directions. this may very well continue getting worse, and i have no way to see a doctor right now (not that theyd be likely to have anything helpful to say anyway). im avoiding using my lycra/polyester wrist braces for carpal tunnel (which ive only briefly used for a few days lately due to concern about the materials) in case that has any contributing influence, and aside from trying those a few days before the rash began developing, i have not changed my diet, exercise, sleeping, products, or general environment. just sitting here makes me feel like my skin is slowly burning off my body, but luckily it hasnt yet gotten to the point of severity of pain where i feel like something must be done immediately towards relief.

ive read several other threads on here mentioning hives and histaminic responses, and read a bit elsewhere, but this is the sort of specificity that individual members seem best suited to address, even if you cant predict the symptoms or reactions in another withdrawing person. thanks for reading.

Excercise, showering, chemicals in household products can all create a histamine response. Also, changes in climate temperature.

The low histamine chef website does a much better job of explaining this than I ever could. A quick Google search should bring that site up.

I had skin rash on my legs and face during increasing dose and then decreasing the dose, not sure which is the cause though. The doctor prescribed steroid cream which cleaned up the ones on legs soon, but those on the face ca pomes and goes for a while each time I reduce the dose. They eventually stopped showing up as my dose went down further.

No one knows for sure what exactly what is going on inside my body under influence of the meds and the change of dose. Possibly our immune is harmed somehow causing the allergy reaction.

I would think ways to enhance immune system is the key. I have been taking OPC 3 which helps great deal with my immune system. It is possible why those problems didn't return.

I had skin rash on my legs and face during increasing dose and then decreasing the dose, not sure which is the cause though. The doctor prescribed steroid cream which cleaned up the ones on legs soon, but those on the face ca pomes and goes for a while each time I reduce the dose. They eventually stopped showing up as my dose went down further.

No one knows for sure what exactly what is going on inside my body under influence of the meds and the change of dose. Possibly our immune is harmed somehow causing the allergy reaction.

I would think ways to enhance immune system is the key. I have been taking OPC 3 which helps great deal with my immune system. It is possible why those problems didn't return.

Like you, I started to get a rash, but now has turned to hives and / or rash when I was changing my paxil dose. I went down from 10mg, to 5mg, then back to 10mg within a month period. I am currently on 2.5. Rashes or hives still sprouting.

Excercise, showering, chemicals in household products can all create a histamine response. Also, changes in climate temperature.

The low histamine chef website does a much better job of explaining this than I ever could. A quick Google search should bring that site up.

thanks for that. i was showering less frequently and less abrasively (had long-quit soaps and shampoos after withdrawal began), trying to keep cool, avoid prolonged sunlight and any chemicals i could. none of that was any different from my usual behavior, but i stayed indoors a bit more and would take breaks from things if they felt to be worsening the rash.

i saw a GP and he said he thinks its fungal (with no cause, and no explanation for all the non-rash symptoms like electric shocks and trouble breathing).  he prescribed a topical and an antifungal...i said no way, and asked questions about his diagnosis until he just referred me to a dermatologist for a second opinion.  the dermatologist said it was definitely NOT fungal, and was actually pityriasis rosea (despite being a pretty atypical presentation: no herald patch, no tree-formation on my back, and encroachment of the rash onto my neck and face).  he was in a massive rush and didnt explain anything to me about the symptoms---i looked those up afterwards.  he, too, wanted to give me a steroid and topical, and admitted they wouldnt help things heal any more quickly.  i refused those, especially in light of their being useless to me.

and, just like usual, he had no way to explain the other symptoms that correlated entirely and exclusively with the rash period.  in fact, he had no explanation for the rash either---it is of unknown cause and mechanism, so he was just going by appearance, despite contraindications.  he did say he has never heard of antidepressant withdrawal rashes, and that it doesnt look like an antidepressant usage rash.  for some reason mention of histaminic reactions went over his head or he was just being a smartass or playing dumb, so he didnt address that possibility.

the rash finally faded somewhat, after several weeks.  i was told it shouldnt last beyond 8 weeks.  either it left scars or is still in the process of dying down, but my antidepressant-heavy withdrawal experience has shifted to swinging back and forth between antipsychotic, antidepressant, and sedative symptoms.  im slated to see a neurologist, finally.  im trying to find one that claims beforehand to recognize and treat withdrawal-related issues...there is no reason to subject myself to tests and demeaning treatment and write-offs if they cant do anything for me, with a diagnosis, that im not already doing for myself.  and im hoping im in the last 1-2 years of acute withdrawal, anyway.