If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Skin issues: hives, acne, dryness etc.

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#73 Toulouse

Toulouse

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

Ok, so something of a coincidence, or not maybe.   My initial hives outbreak (which was SEVERE) occured when I went down from 10mg Paxil to 5- THEN back up to 10mg. That's when the hives started and escalated.  Since then, for the last 6 or so weeks, i've had mild rashes, occasional (mild) hives and have been treating with Claritin or Benadryl.

Sunday - I skipped my dosage.  No hives. However I was feeling other w/d effects - dizzy, very irritable/angry.   Monday, I went back to my dosage of 2.5mg.  BOOM - hives were sprouting out all day.   Tuesday (today),  took my normal dosage like I did Monday. Back to the usual, modest itch, or slight pre-rash on my skin. Took claritin to keep it at bay.  So I'm thinking, going up and down on the mg dosage is what's messed me up and given me these allergic reactions  Tomorrow I will cut my 2.5 to just 1.25mg and see what happens.  I'm almost of Paxil thank god. and trying to be patient.  But since my first hives reaction, I have gone down from 10mg to where I am now (2.5) and one thing that is for certain is that the hives/rashes, though ongoing, seem to be weaker and in less places than 8 weeks ago at 10mg. 

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  1.5 years out, 90% feeling back to normal.  (April 25, 2017)

#74 InvisibleUnless

InvisibleUnless

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

changing doses can have different side effects than going cold turkey.  any dose is an interference, and your body reacts to compensate, whereas complete withholding of a dose leaves your brain in a different chemical situation, and a compensatory overreaction may not be incited (or may be delayed).  i couldnt say if that is specifically the nature of your own case, but its a thought.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  for all 5 years since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

#75 Purplestars22

Purplestars22

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

I have experienced dried skin even though I put on cocunut oil. My skin resembles the skin of what a person would have in their late adulthood? I have also experienced premature aging wrinkles in my face and dark spots on the sides of my face. I am in my late twenties and I am not in the sun much. Has my body aged because of wd? Has anybody experienced premature wrinkles? If so how do you deal with it.
Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety
Failed attempt to stop reinstated
1 year taper skipping doses
Celexa free 12/2013
1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day
Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

#76 InvisibleUnless

InvisibleUnless

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

during withdrawal, my skin has looked like ****.  it often gets very dried out, papery, and worn.  it can crack and bleed all over my extremities, or feel like the elasticity has totally collapsed.  there are various problems, no doubt.  plus, acne, blemishes, and other skin problems have cropped up in full.  wrinkles, stretch marks, you name it.

i have found that my skin returns more to normal when the cycling is at a low point.  i think that being through withdrawal entirely will mean healthy skin once again.  for now, i look like someone who did coke for 30 years of their life and have terrys nails (like diabetics) and avoid soap and handwashing as much as possible so my fingers dont dry out and bleed every day.

i despise skincare products, but dont figure they would help some people much anyway---this is more fundamental and dysfunctional than simple dryness or sunlight or wear.  so, i just avoid things that make it worse as much as possible, and try to treat it gently when it suffers abnormal levels of damage.  being properly hydrated and gaining enough fats and water from foods in addition to drinks is important for me.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  for all 5 years since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

#77 Wildflower0214

Wildflower0214

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

Yes! I look old. I have aging skin on my hands and arms and face. I'm dry. I look older than I am. I'm 31. I'm not sure if this is the aging because of the stress of WD or if it's just something to do with my endocrine system that will even out.

Honestly, if I could be healthy again, I wouldn't even care if this did age me. Which, I'm sure it has. I just want to be well....with or without wrinkles is fine with me.
2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....
5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

#78 Xavier

Xavier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

I used to have very healthy and wet skin, it became dry, old and lizarish overnight after the beginning of drugs. Did anyone suffered from the same issue and eventually recovered after beeing weaned ?

Mid 2012 : aripiprazole for nothing (actually only 2 reasons : no job and lonely)>serotoninergic syndrome+seizure>psychiatrist denial> amisulpride 400mg +quetiapine 600mg +olanzapine 10mg +xanax 0,5 mg +alimemazine+lormétazepam+effexor+lorazepam during almost 2 years>

Saved by a pharmacologist from major seizure during the antipsychotics taper > switched to 16 mg diazepam taper since may 2014. Failed at 12mg in july.16 mg again in july 2014.1mg down every week.failed at 3,33 mg in november 2014,back to 5mg at slower taper rate
febr 2015 4mg  /march 2015 3mg  / may 2015 2mg / june 2015 1,66mg   /july 1,33mg  / aug end 0,66mg  / sept end 0,33mg  /  oct end 0,17mg   /   1st nov 0,14mg  /  10 dec 2015 JUMPED

Aged swollen face, huge wieght gain impossible to loose despite healthy diet and workout, belly,insomnia,gastrointestinal disorder,dry sagging skin,genital shrinkage, no libido, muscle+hair loss,wrecked maybe forever but not tortured by drugs anymore.

#79 UnfoldingSky

UnfoldingSky

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hi Xavier,

I developed dry skin thanks to the drugs I took, it happened quite quickly too.  Like you I had an adverse reaction to a drug, and then I was given drugs to "treat" the reaction including some you were on.

I don't know if you are up for doing this, but, what has helped me is to put honey on my skin before showering.  Leave it on for five minutes or more then just wash it off as you shower.  It's mildly moisturizing.   (Of course if you are allergic to bee products, don't do this!)

My skin is also very sensitive so I've had to really search to find something that worked.  However if your skin isn't as sensitive you might try different oils to see if one would work.

I sometimes use tamanu oil which generally is for scars and other skin problems but is fairly heavy, it maybe would be beneficial. I can tolerate it. However it seems the honey is more effective. 

I also read recently about avocado oil which is supposed to help dry skin.  I haven't tried it yet though.

Also a gentle exfoliator to remove the dry skin would be something to look into too.  I just use an exfoliating cloth made of natural materials.

And I'd guess since you had such a severe reaction you probably are sensitive to supplements, but, if you can tolerate consuming fish oil, or if not, oily fish, the omega 3s I believe are supposed to be good for your skin. 

I am sure others here will have other suggestions too.

Partly recovered from AD withdrawal/reactions as well as issues with other psych drugs.  Also, I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions. Also due to the withdrawal/reactions I have had I may at times have cognitive problems so please keep this in mind when reading my posts (also please note, these issues are improving as I recover).

#80 UnfoldingSky

UnfoldingSky

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

One more suggestion for dry skin--try putting on some sort of oil that can be used for dry skin right before you have a shower/bath so as to keep it from getting dried out even more.

I can't usually handle most of oils but tried doing this with olive oil in which I had soaked a herb (I won't say which one as this is an experiment I am running), and, so far so good, it's made my skin feel a lot better and, it doesn't seem to be reacting badly to doing this either.

Partly recovered from AD withdrawal/reactions as well as issues with other psych drugs.  Also, I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions. Also due to the withdrawal/reactions I have had I may at times have cognitive problems so please keep this in mind when reading my posts (also please note, these issues are improving as I recover).

#81 reachingforthestars

reachingforthestars

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:09 PM

This is interesting. About two years after quitting cold turkey my skin became extremely sensitive. I developed horrible type 2 rosacea and had to go on Accutane to cure it. There is no history of rosacea in my family, while I am fair I tan easily and my skin had always been oily, tough as nails and the envy of people. So I didn't fit the profile of someone with rosecea. Finally, now 10 years later my skin it back to its original state. I have ZERO rosacea which is odd because there is no cure for rosacea and it is a chronic disease.

I have developed rosacea too...I have burning sensations in my face and rosacea keeps getting worse. I didn't have much of rosacea before i started to taper but now it is very visible and i have to use make up to cover it.

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

#82 Toulouse

Toulouse

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

Since this thread is bumped, I'd like to chime in with my progress. I was diagnosed by allergist as having chronic hives back in November.  I believe that my WD from Paxil is what created whatever imbalance was happening in my body to result in this diagnosis.  In December I went to a holistic doctor who put me on a strict gluten, soy and dairy free diet. My chronic hives diminished greatly within the next month and now I am hive free.  I still get a little, what i consider, flushing in spots, but it goes away within the hour without any need for antihistamines.  I had lab work done that showed I was vitamin D and B folate acid deficient, for what its worth.  All other labs came out normal.

My skin is still sensitive to pressure, or scrapes. But also slowly has gotten better.  I am 6 months off of Paxil.

20mg in 2014

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  1.5 years out, 90% feeling back to normal.  (April 25, 2017)

#83 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationReading, UK and also Southwest, UK

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:56 AM

This is interesting, I developed acne on my shoulders (which I've never had in my life) for what I thought was because of my marathon training.

Now I think it was because of the Cipralex as I started taking it in Feb 2014 and did my first marathon in June 2014.  I stopped running altogether in July 2015 because of muscle and joint pain.

The acne improved dramatically when we were in Mexico due to the humidity, but it hasn't really gone away and I am left with scarring which is white due to the steroid cream I was prescribed.

<p>Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days. Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves". Nov 15th 2016 Re-started Therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT. Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 4th Jan 2017. Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment starts - anti-Candida diet starts as diagnosis of Candida Related Complex (CRC). 24 March 2017 DETOX (3 weeks) started for anti-Candida to help "re-set" my gut. April 2017 "Genova Testing 3 day stool sampling" Comprehensive Analysis.  Gut Cleanse - 6 weeks.  Plan to re-start taper (liquid Cipralex/Escitalopram) when feel ready.

#84 reachingforthestars

reachingforthestars

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:27 AM

This is interesting, I developed acne on my shoulders (which I've never had in my life) for what I thought was because of my marathon training.

Now I think it was because of the Cipralex as I started taking it in Feb 2014 and did my first marathon in June 2014.  I stopped running altogether in July 2015 because of muscle and joint pain.

The acne improved dramatically when we were in Mexico due to the humidity, but it hasn't really gone away and I am left with scarring which is white due to the steroid cream I was prescribed.

Do you still take that 2.5mg Cipralex? I think these drugs can mess up hormonal levels and hormonal acne is due to too much testosterone or dihydrotestosterone. I have pimples too on my back, shoulders and chin. 

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

#85 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:30 AM

Hi Reaching, yes I still take the 2.5mg with a view to reducing by 0.25 starting 25th March.

<p>Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days. Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves". Nov 15th 2016 Re-started Therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT. Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 4th Jan 2017. Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment starts - anti-Candida diet starts as diagnosis of Candida Related Complex (CRC). 24 March 2017 DETOX (3 weeks) started for anti-Candida to help "re-set" my gut. April 2017 "Genova Testing 3 day stool sampling" Comprehensive Analysis.  Gut Cleanse - 6 weeks.  Plan to re-start taper (liquid Cipralex/Escitalopram) when feel ready.

#86 DisneyFan88

DisneyFan88

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

First time Paxil user at 10 mg in 2013 for 9 months. Paxil 15mg for about 14 months in 2015-2016. The first time I tapered off Paxil, everything was great. I had no withdrawal symptoms. This is why I did not hesitate going on it again a second time. I am officially weaned off Paxil since 4/5/16. I began tapering the beginning of Feb 2016. However, ten days into tapering my dosage, I blew up in hives. It started with my ears becoming complete itchy and swollen. Things then led to full blown body hives (neck, face, shoulder blades, torso and back) and multiple visits to the ER. I was given hydroxezine, cetrizine, prednisone, a medrol pack on another occasion, and montelucast. None of these medications completely took away my hives. I suffered from hives everyday. However, I began to notice that every time my Paxil dosage was lowered, my hives weren't as aggressive. Fast forward to today (no longer on Paxil) and I'm still getting hives. Although they're not as bad as they were in the beginning, they're still there and won't go away. With each taper, the hives moved away from my torso, hips, and back and moved to mainly my arms and legs. These hives have completely taken over my life since the beginning of February. I just want my life back! I thought my hives were due to my tapering off of Paxil but I've been completely off for a week now and I'm still getting these things!

#87 DisneyFan88

DisneyFan88

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:24 AM

First time Paxil user at 10 mg in 2013 for 9 months. Paxil 15mg for about 14 months in 2015-2016. The first time I tapered off Paxil, everything was great. I had no withdrawal symptoms. This is why I did not hesitate going on it again a second time. I am officially weaned off Paxil since 4/5/16. I began tapering the beginning of Feb 2016. However, ten days into tapering my dosage, I blew up in hives. It started with my ears becoming complete itchy and swollen. Things then led to full blown body hives (neck, face, shoulder blades, torso and back) and multiple visits to the ER. I was given hydroxezine, cetrizine, prednisone, a medrol pack on another occasion, and montelucast. None of these medications completely took away my hives. I suffered from hives everyday. However, I began to notice that every time my Paxil dosage was lowered, my hives weren't as aggressive. Fast forward to today (no longer on Paxil) and I'm still getting hives. Although they're not as bad as they were in the beginning, they're still there and won't go away. With each taper, the hives moved away from my torso, hips, and back and moved to mainly my arms and legs. These hives have completely taken over my life since the beginning of February. I just want my life back! I thought my hives were due to my tapering off of Paxil but I've been completely off for a week now and I'm still getting these things!

#88 Toulouse

Toulouse

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

Been there and done it. Mine have gone away. See my response to you in my introductions thread for details on how and when mine cleared up.

20mg in 2014

#89 CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNortheast USA

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:32 PM

Hya all, for me up until now only a minor problem, but still unnerving sometimes: Skin issues. For example a feeling of burning, tingling, needles and pins and even oil mostly on my legs and lower arms. Additionally I have a very rough and dry skin in my face, despite using creme every day. Does anyone have a clue what this is and what might help to lessen or even resolve those symptoms? Edit: The symptoms have been the worst last week since stopping the pills. They are still endurable though. I hope that I do not have to worry and that this is normal in wd?

This has been my number one issue with withdrawal- the insane itching, crawling feelings on my skin, thanks for posting this up.

The one thing that helps me the most when it gets too intense is taking an oatmeal bath. 

I also take the actual aloe plant, peel it open and put the juices all over my body. 

2005/6-2013 - A wild rollercoaster of meds I can't remmeber, i was on 40mg of zyprexa at one point daily
2014 200mg Zoloft /5mg Saphris
2015 April 200mg Zoloft /5mg Saphris
2015 May 200mg Zoloft / 400mg Seroquel
2015 June 200mg Zoloft / 300mg Seroquel
2015 July 150mg Zoloft / 200mg Seroquel
2015 August 125mg Zoloft / 100mg Seroquel
2015 September 100mg Zoloft / 50mg Seroquel
2015 October 50mg Zoloft
2015 November 75mg Zoloft

2016 November 100mg Zoloft; 112.5mg Clozaril 

#90 ang

ang

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationAlbany, Western Australia

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:14 PM

My skin is horrifically dry, and scabby, especially my face.           I take zinc, every day, which helps, and I can now go out in public again.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

#91 moonstoneblue

moonstoneblue

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Glad I've found this thread, I've just had my second monthly since starting withdrawal and I have so many blemishes on my face, especially my forehead. My skin wasn't even this bad during puberty.

2001 - Prozac 20mg for a week weeks   2001- Venelaxafine 37.5 mg  2006 - Ciptralex 10mg I think   2008 - Mirtazipine (not sure of dose, was the lowest though).  2008 - Citalopram (standard dose)  2009 - Prozac 20mg until 29 Feb 2016  2016 - Setraline 25mg for 3 days (from March 3rd until March 5th).  2016 - 11th March Reinstated 5mg prozac. 26th May 2016 down to 4.5mg Prozac. 26June 2016 down to 4mg prozac. Back up to 5mg on 3rd July 2016.

Supplements - B- Complex, Flaxseed oil, L-lysine 1000mg, Iron 20mg. Spirulina 500mg. Quest Synergist Magnesium 150mg, Salmon oil 1000mg twice a day, Evening Primrose oil 500mg. 

Cipralex 10mg 17th July 2016.

#92 moonstoneblue

moonstoneblue

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

Okay so along with the spots on my face and chest, I now have hives all over my torso. I've not changed my shower gel (I use parben free, sulphate free, organic shower gel). And I have very dry legs. My skin has never had these problems :/
I know it will all go eventually.

2001 - Prozac 20mg for a week weeks   2001- Venelaxafine 37.5 mg  2006 - Ciptralex 10mg I think   2008 - Mirtazipine (not sure of dose, was the lowest though).  2008 - Citalopram (standard dose)  2009 - Prozac 20mg until 29 Feb 2016  2016 - Setraline 25mg for 3 days (from March 3rd until March 5th).  2016 - 11th March Reinstated 5mg prozac. 26th May 2016 down to 4.5mg Prozac. 26June 2016 down to 4mg prozac. Back up to 5mg on 3rd July 2016.

Supplements - B- Complex, Flaxseed oil, L-lysine 1000mg, Iron 20mg. Spirulina 500mg. Quest Synergist Magnesium 150mg, Salmon oil 1000mg twice a day, Evening Primrose oil 500mg. 

Cipralex 10mg 17th July 2016.

#93 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

My face is now covered in eczema - eyes, mouth, chin and neck.

It's sore, flaky and very dry.

Hydrocortisone cream ain't working.

Next try will be DERMOL.

#94 AnaTheCat

AnaTheCat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

I have some skin and hair issues, apparently, I wasn't linking them to my meds until now. I was reading comments in here: http://rxisk.org/complex-withdrawal/and I think now that my skin also seems affected.

First, I'm 27 and still having problems with blackheads. I used to have them in "T zone" (forehead, nose, chin) - now they're all over my face, neck, on the back, arms and cleavage, it became like this about two years ago. My skin is quite oily, yet at the same time it looks kinda artificial up close, kinda like a silicone. I found enzyme peeling, fish colagen and raspberry stone oil helpful.

As for hair - I've learned that hair won't react to dying if an owner takes psychotic meds. I can't tell that myself, I wasn't dying my hair for years now, it is said, however, that hairdressers noticed that some time ago. I can tell my hair still react to herbs - I'm using camomile brew to accent my natural blonde. Coconut oil also makes the color lighter. Another thing - I'm treating my hair with great care and careful conditioning, but they're just so arid... I had to cut them short after a year of trying to get them better.

I am of course aware that this is cosmetic, not quite serious problem, but still it's irritating... My lion's mane was always my looks asset, I could share with three other people and still have plenty on my head. Now I have a hedgehog style hair :]

I don't want much with life. I want it leave me alone.

Medical history:

2005 - 2006 – diagnosis: OCD. Meds: sertraline (Setaloft), from 30 mg to 120 mg. Side effects: insomnia, anorexia (psychic inabillity to eat), obesity; some sleep medication (don't remember the name), side effects: halucination. 2007 – sertraline withdrawal by myself. Reducing the dose slowly (120 mg – 90 mg – 60 mg – 30 mg – 0 mg). Felt great for about a year. 2008 – diazepam, taking ocasionally if needed. 2010 – paroxetine (Seroxat, then: Parogen) for OCD. From 20 mg to 40 mg. Side effects: none. Piracetamum (Memotropil), side effects: general weakness. Withdrawal of piracetamum: after two years (none withdrawal syndrome). 2016 – attempt to withdraw paroxetine. Severe depression after month and a half. Insomnia, nervousness, loss of weight. Suicide thoughts. Returning to paroxetine in march. From 10 mg to 20 mg. Side effects: sudden suicide thoughts, serotonine syndrome, panic attacks. Other meds: Clonazepam 0,5 mg for three days (benzodiazepam), side effects: none; Alprazolamum (Xanax): from 0,25 mg to 0,5 mg; side effects: obstruction, acne, period stoppage. Withdraw after a month, side effects: one-day lasting histeria; Trazodonum (Trittico CR): from 75 mg to 25 mg. Side effects: somnolance. 2016, June – dropping the dose of paroxetine from 40 mg to 30 mg. Side effects: mood swings. Withdrawing Trazodonum from 25 mg to 0 mg. Side effects: wide mood swings and fretfulness for about a week; too rapid, don't recommend. Went back to 25 mg of trazodone and 40 mg of paroxetine. 2016, July - dropped trazodone by 10 %, went back to 25 mg after two weeks (cause: depresion). 2016, October - 10% paroxetine drop, leaving trazodone at 25 mg. 2016, November - second 10% paroxetine drop.

Suplements: vitamins – C (600 mg), D3 (4500 IU), K2 (6400 IU), B15 (50 mg); hawaiian spirulina; fish collagen; fish oil (1 spoon); probiotic; magnesium (50 mg), selenium (200 mcg); flaxseed (1-2 spoons/day); minced milk thistle (1 spoon/day).

Diet: mostly vegan, gluten-free due to doctor's advice. Drinks: water, green tea, cistus incantus.

Books I recommendYour Body Many Cries for Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj; Hidden Therapies by Jerzy Zięba; Deadly Medicine and Organized Denial by Peter C. Gøtzsche; The Microbiom Solution by Robynne Chutkan; Urban Shaman and Mastering Your Hidden Self  by Serge Kahili King.

#95 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:10 AM

I also have hives/acne around my torso. My skin is absolutely wrecked.

Having never had spots in my life, I am now dealing with multiple skin issues. I still have eczema but on my arms.

I have had a bright red chin for years now, and despite using a powerful steroid gel, it isn't disappearing fast enough.

They can only be attributed to changes in hormonal levels because of ADs.

#96 Faithgrl

Faithgrl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

OMG me too. My doc introduced me to bleach baths which helped ALOT. I tried tumeric and fish oil and they were both SUPER BAD for my skin and sleep, respectively. I am two weeks off now so lets see how this goes.

Prescribed Lexapro in 2003 and switched to Cipramil (5-10mg per day) 2004 with Lamictal.

Stopped Lamictal cold turkey with no withdrawals in 2014 with support of a Paleo diet. 

2003-2015 Cipramil only: 5mg 21 Dec 15: 2.5mg 28 Dec 15: 2.25mg 4 Jan 16: 1.575mg 10 Jan 16: 1.1025 11 Jan 16: 0.7875 25 Jan 16: 0.9, 1 Feb: 0.8, 8 Feb 0.75, 15 Feb 0.5, 29 Feb 0.25, 21 March 0.17, 4 April: 0.10, 25 April 0.05, 8 May 2016 0.05, 15 May 2016 NIL 21 June 2016 0.1, 5 Sep 16: 0.2 7 Sep 16: 0.15 16 Sep 16: 0.075 3 Oct 16: 0.015 17 October: 0.015, 14 Nov 2016: Reinstate 0.005, 26 Dec 16 0.0045

Supplements/Lifestyle: Paleo/AIP protocol, daily exercise, probiotic, B6, Zinc, biotin, Chromium, Vit C, Pharma Mag Forte, Molybdenum, cod liver oil, low histamine and salicylate diet. Therapy once a month, and member of OA and ACA.

#97 Barrebelle7

Barrebelle7

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, ca

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

Is acne a side effect of high doses of Prozac? :(

Edited by KarenB, 11 January 2017 - 12:24 AM.
merged similar topics

#98 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

I've just done a quick google search on "antidepressant + acne" and other people have been asking the same question so it would seem that the answer might be yes.

If you are planning on tapering off your Prozac, please create an Intro/Update topic.  We will be able to answer your questions about your own situation as well as support you during your taper.

Podcasts:    Let's Talk Withdrawal

Antidepressants:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft; Cipramil CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)

Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)     Current:  Pristiq 25mg (from 21 April 2017)

Tapering history & graph

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

I've still got a way to go ... but I've already come a long way!!!

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.

#99 Barrebelle7

Barrebelle7

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, ca

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

I've been searching but can't seem to find out if it's stress induced acne so coincidence or if Prozac actually causessss the acne

#100 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

The patient information sheet/pamphlet lists know side effects.

Link to FDA required patient information for Prozac.

You can also see the same information on the Prozac Side Effects page at drugs[dot]com

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, exact doses and dates in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15; 5.1 mg (47) Mar. 25; 4.9 mg (45) Apr. 5; 4.5 mg (42) Apr. 14;
Current dose: 3.5 mg (32) 2017-Apr-26
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

#101 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

The acne I had has finally gone, leaving me with just eczema to keep under control.

#102 JanCarol

JanCarol

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

Just a warning, doctors may be excited about some new psoriasis drugs that have achieved "approval"

Dr. Healy curates (and possibly writes) on Rxisk:

Recently approved for use downunder (avoid if at all possible) new drugs for psoriasis (if you see a doctor, s/he might be very excited about these):

https://rxisk.org/ar...-cause-suicide/

https://rxisk.org/ot...ts-and-suicide/

https://rxisk.org/yo...matilda-with-me

Dr. Healy says:

Brodalumab, aka Siliq, Apremilast, aka Otezla, and Daliresp. Prepare to hear a lot more about Phosphodiesterase antagonists and drugs acting on Interleukin 17 or 23. 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

Currently Lithium Orotate 1.67 mg only.  I will re-evaluate this supplement in 2017.

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!