peggy

Burning skin, burning feet

96 posts in this topic

Hi Bellisimo,

This issue of "burning" and paraesthesia is currently being investigated by Professor David Healy and he is looking at both escitalopram AND citalopram.

He is currently seeking reports of these sensations to his website www.rxisk.org. The site has a section where you can report your symptoms and receive a Rxisk report to take to your doctor validating your symptoms against the experiences of other sufferers.  Would you be willing to do this?

He is specifically seeking reports on the following symptoms:

1) Paraesthesia - tingling, burning, numbness

2) Sensory disturbances to sense of vision, taste, hearing, smell, touch

3) Cardiac problems (blood pressure, slow/fast pulse, irregular pulse or anything unusual for you that cannot be put down to another cause)

If you would like to PM me for further info, I would be happy to go through it with you.

I had similar itching and burning in citalopram withdrawal and temperature dysregulation issues.

x

I have had burning skin now on my back and shoulders for about 6 weeks.Ido not have any redness just feels like really bad sunburn all the time.Ihope it goes soon.Ialso have pain with muscle cramping so slightly different

I always a host of super bad pains all over, abpnd different types ( Sharp, deep, bone, muscle, cramping, just name it).!0needling pain is one type of it and it is on top of the rest.

I have had burning sensations most of the past 3 years of withdrawal. As well as all different types of other pains as well. It's scary.

The last week or so I have had what I think is terrible akathisia. An inability to sit still or relax, feeling like I am always in a hurry and wanting to crawl out of my skin. Has anyone else experienced this with a burning/tingling sensation? I guess it kind of feels like anxiety but more of a tingling uneasy sensation. Very difficult to describe in words..?

Yes, I am having the same thing and only a couple of weeks in to Prozac withdrawal. It's like a total internal anxiety, jumping out of skin feeling. I get tingling in my head, do you? Very difficult. How do you calm yourself?

Was on various doses of Lexapro for 6 years.

Took my last tablet in December 2014.

After 6 weeks started experiencing pin-prick, "electric-zap", tingling, sometimes burning sensations all around my body, in weird places, including my scalp, in my eyes, around my eyes, inside my nose and mouth, shoulders, arms, hands, torso, genitals, groin, legs and feet. This is ongoing. For me it's not pins and needles or skin-crawling.

I have the same burning skin sensation...arms neck back....the doctor told me it's cipralex which I'm taking again....or anxiety...........it's a week that I have it

I'm so SCARED!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

It's some sort of peripheral neuropathy.  There's not much you can do to relieve it, other than to avoid fast food with a bunch of preservatives (including chinese food with MSG) and alcohol, nicotine, and any other drug.  It will heal over time.  I used to not even be able to feel my own limbs and have SEARING pain all over my body at times, like someone poured a cup of hot water on my hands and feet and face.  Over the past 2 years or so, it's just gradually disappeared and sometimes I don't even notice it anymore. 

I eat a very healthy diet, and cook 95% of all of my meals and eat a LOT of fruit and vegetables, so I think that helps - I also get exercise for about 60-90 minutes at least 3-4X per week.  Other than that theres NOTHING you can do to improve this symptom (at least not that I've discovered).  Your nerves will slowly heal themselves as long as you don't take any drugs whatsoever that aggravate the condition.

It's really damn scary, I agree - it's the scariest symptom of all of them (along with the numbness).

In addition to the burning skin, I used to also get the "barber chair electric sensation" whereby a wave of weird tingling would spread down my leg or up my body.  I used to get this sort of barber chair sensation all over my head and face and limbs, many times a day - it was really utterly terrifying.  I used to have a lot of tremors and involuntary twitches and crazy flashing and lights in my eyes.  Sometimes I'd feel like my leg was hot in one location but not others.  My hands and feet felt like someone had chopped off my hands and feet, because there was THAT little sensation coming from my limbs to my brain.  I often worried about chopping my fingers off while using a cutting knife or something.

Sort of amazingly like 75% of these symptoms have either disappeared or become relatively difficult to notice.  This has been over a 1 year period.

If I can heal from this, you'll heal eventually as well.  Just need to be extremely patient and try to accept that this is your life and that it's the only one you're going to get. 

I've had the burning and tingling sensations for 3 months or so, now, but only in the past 48 hours has the burning actually become quite painful all of a sudden. It has taken me by complete surprise. Mentally, I was doing really well, but now this has set me back because it's really disturbing me.

A few weeks ago, I started to experience hot hands. It's progressed to the chest, neck and face....

Is this wd? Or just feminine stuff?

Hi Hangingon

about a month after tapering cipralex I had burning sensations over arms, my back and feets. Lasted for few hellish weeks. For sure you will be better!!!!  <3

I too have the burning skin like a sunburn. always worse at night or morning when laying down. seems to get better once I move around.

Its now making me so anxious I can't sleep...any helpful hints for that?

I've been getting "burning legs" combined with "restless legs" , particularly at night, when I also have insomnia.  The feeling is intolerable, and hard to deal with. It's torture. It's one of the worst  symptoms, for me at the moment. It feels like an itch on the inside , that you can't scratch.   I put it down to "withdrawal", as it's too bizarre to be anything else.

LaineyK, I've given up on sleep, for now.  I'm hoping one day , it will come back ! I'm practicing "acceptance".

I've been getting "burning legs" combined with "restless legs" , particularly at night, when I also have insomnia. The feeling is intolerable, and hard to deal with. It's torture. It's one of the worst symptoms, for me at the moment. It feels like an itch on the inside , that you can't scratch. I put it down to "withdrawal", as it's too bizarre to be anything else.

LaineyK, I've given up on sleep, for now. I'm hoping one day , it will come back ! I'm practicing "acceptance".

Ali,

I have been getting this. It's a restless leg, burning thigh sensation.

It comes and goes throughout the day and it's AWFUL. Is it akathisia, parenthisia or what? It's so hard to describe but it's so much worse when I'm laying or sitting down. It causes so much anxiety, too.

The burning sensation is a part of wd as I've experienced it and still experiencing, albeit less intensely now 9 months out in wd in comparison to acute wd 8 months ago. Mild to moderate exercise may help. I do not take supplements at all as they may exacerbate the burning. The tingling also goes along with the burning. Theyre a most gruesome twosome. I'm sorry for your pain.

The burning sensation is a part of wd as I've experienced it and still experiencing, albeit less intensely now 9 months out in wd in comparison to acute wd 8 months ago. Mild to moderate exercise may help. I do not take supplements at all as they may exacerbate the burning. The tingling also goes along with the burning. Theyre a most gruesome twosome. I'm sorry for your pain.

Thanks, Gem. My WD did not really ramp up till about month 8. I'm in month 12 and this is my new symptom. It's very weird because it comes and goes. Not as if my skin is actually burning, just the sensation and makes my thighs ache with the need to move them. Crazy what these drugs do.

I saw many lexapro users suffering from this very disabling symptom, one of my most intolerable symptoms. The medical term is paresthesia and an indication of CNS damage.

I believe it will eventually go away along with all other symptoms when our CNS heals.

I cant find words HOW TIRED I AM of this burning skin.. its killing me. Im tired but cant sleep because THIS Is killing me. I never had this before i quit my ssri.

I thought it wouldnt last long .. but still soon 9 months later i have the same..

I wonder if this is allergic reaktions i get from stuff, like coffee, sugar etc?

It just comes and can last for hours and i get red all over my body , and it iches crazy, and red dots all over, like an allergic reaktion.

THE ONLY THING That makes it feel better its cold... I use to go out naked on my balkony to try cool down, or take a cold bath or put cold towels on my body, after a while it feels better but it takes long, and this often comes when im relaxing or tired, / evenings / nights..

Often at day when im up i can feel itchy but not as near as this burning sensations..

Im thinking of suing my medicine company for causing me a pain in the ass, also with RLS and insomnia.. if this is not gonna end iam gonna be so pissed ..

sorry if i sound angry but i do feel tired of this :(

hope everyone is doing better or ok outthere, hang in there..

Hi sorry you are suffering I ve had this too for 19 months my poison was paxil

Mine has always coincided with cortisol surges at night worst from about 4am onwards. Its mild now and confined to lore legs and feet.

What helped me was no alcohol no sugar and eating earlier in the evening

Compared with head symptoms and palpitations and anxiety I didn't mind the burning too much. Different strata of hell

When did your burning feet sensation go away? Mine has been constant x1month.

When did your burning feet sensation go away? Mine has been constant x1month.

Mine have been burning at night for two years now though recently I have been having days without. And its feet and lower legs for me. And sometimes back

I had badly burning and itchy feet for a while last year before I got my pristiq compounded

in capsules with slow release additive. For me , it was directly a symptom of "dose-dumping"

and resolved as soon as I got that sorted.

I got relief in initially from ice and frozen gel packs , but it would come back intensely

every hour between 10pm and 2/3 am.

I lay there one night just feeling it , and thinking it was like the burning I got from

a hot Madras curry. So I tried slathering my feet with Greek yoghurt , and it stopped almost

instantly. No exaggeration , lol. For the next week or so I went to sleep with each

foot in a freezer bag tied at the ankle , covered in Greek yoghurt.

Love to know if this works for anyone else :).

ha ha Fresh... my dog would NEVER get off my bed then - she would be snuffling at the bags..

i am positive now that the burning feet is a withdrawal effect for me and interestingly is one of the only physical one i get regularly - the other being muscle twitching as i am going off to sleep.. i took a 5% reduction the other day and two days later my feet are burning.  

I had burning / painful feet upon waking up every morning for a good few months. I thought it would never go away.  These days I only feel it once in a while. It slowly has gotten better to where it's either gone or I don't feel it as much.  My left toes sometimes goes numb too upon waking. I get out of bed like an old man since quitting Paxil.

Hi! Can burning skin/burning mouth both be a side effect and a wd syndrom? This symptom is quite new to me. I got it mostly under 1 mg zoloft. But I cant really tell if it's a sign that tells me to drop or not. Usually, if I feel worse again after a window, it's time for me to drop again. Now I dont know. Well, it's a trial and error maybe.

Burning has always been with me for years, and in a much more serene form, pins and needling, very painful. I read it can be both from WD and side effects but for me it's more after dropping dose. I remember the last year when I hold for 4 months it was rarely a complain.

It usually takes 3-4 days to show for my 1.3% drop

I would say it could be a side effect if one were starting or increasing a drug, but if you are tapering, it is more likely a withdrawal symptom, since less would not cause a side effect when more didn't.  Does that make sense?

SG

Yes, thanks SG. But it's a bit complicated with me. The side effects ramp up if I hold too long. Actually I have never been on any dose more then 6 weeks, ever.

I thought I could tell a difference between side effects and wd, but this one confuses me. But maybe you are right, it's wd. It feels somewhat connected to nervousness/akathasia feelings I experienced last year.

I think I feel your pain, AmyK. I don't feel this all the time, but since DCing Latuda, I cannot stand direct sun exposure. It burns just to be in the sunlight. I have been avoiding the outdoors on bright sunny days. This is on top of the temperature dysregulation since starting Latuda that has not gone away since stopping it. This burning sensation is definitely withdrawal in my case so I have my fingers crossed that it will eventually resolve with time.

Hi Amy! I've had restless legs and body both as a side effect and withdrawal symptom. It is very confusing when you are used to a symptom being a side effect and then experience it in withdrawal. My first reaction was to cut the dose when the symptom appeared during withdrawal. But I did hold the dose and after a week, maybe ten days the symptoms improved! The restlessness is a horrible feeling, I associated it with akathisia.

I made a tiny cut two days ago (0.01 mg) and the burning skin disappeared. Other wd symptoms though, but more recognizable as brainfog and such.

Well, I'll see...

Thanks for all your replies!

The left side of the skin on my back and flank was itching and burning last December.
Wasn't tapering at the time (stable on 5 mg) but I researched if it could be (new, not previously felt) a side effect from Lexapro / escitalopram. Couldn't find anything about it.

I turned to my general doctor and he thought I had to see a neurologist. My physiotherapist thought otherwise and said that the muscles in my back and shoulder were strained. Tired muscles fill up with acids and because of not working out (just sitting behind my computer all day in the wrong posture) those toxins and acids heaped up instead of flowing away again.

Okay this was clumsy English, sorry!

So in my case couldn't really by a symptom of WB but wanted to share it with you.
It went away after a few weeks of working out, massage and physiotherapy. 

Wish you healing!

Thanks for sharing , Susanne! This is related to drugs though, I am quite positive. It feels very chemical and fluctuates with drops.

I am glad you found a solution!

All the best, Amy

Yes I've had the same feeling of burning hot skin, tired, sore and painful muscles(feels like I've gotten beaten up) and shooting pain throughout my body. I've been to a ton of doctors all confused about what it could be. I was on 10 mg of Lexsoro for 15 years. I tapered over a 6 month period but am still stuck with physical withdrawal symptoms after 4 months of stopping. :/

Amy, I'm beginning to think that I already was in tolerance at that time. And Lexapro was losing its efficacy. I was having all kinds of personal issues (work, illness, relationship) over which I could not stop thinking about and I did not know myself like that. Gave me a lot of stress in my body. I've never ever felt that burning sensation on my skin before. I know about lactic acid in the muscles and I know that my shoulder and wrist were suffering from Repetitive Strain Injury...but...it was such a weird and scary feeling. It wouldnt go away and made me hypochondriac ( wasnt used to that either). So a WD symptom...why not? It went through it and it is OK now, but it could explain what I was feeling.