If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

Success: Jemima Survives Lexapro and Dr. Dickhead, Too

quacks

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#73 Tilly

Tilly

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:33 PM

Hi Jemima,

I just read your thread from start to finish. What an inspiration and wonderfully spirited woman you are!!! I am delighted to have found you on this insomnia evening of mine. You have lifted my spirits no end. Thank you.

I couldn't help but empathise and chuckle at this paragraph that you wrote in a previous post:

"Some of the people with whom I've tried to be friends have turned out to be a big disappointment to the point that I wish I'd never met them and am trying to figure out how to end the "friendships" with a couple of them, one of whom is emotionally unbalanced and hasn't got the common sense God gave a goat, and the other is so self-centered that she's out of touch with reality.  There are a lot of people out there who are either stupid or crazy or both.  I've found most of the people on this forum to be just the opposite, and since we're a minority, I suspect being smart, sensitive to others' feelings, and sensible in general, we probably find the world more depressing than people who are walking around in a haze of dim-wittedness and selfishness".

I had a very similar conversation just yesterday and wholeheartedly agree.

You are a shining star! Your ongoing learning and adaptation only affirms this. I will follow your progress with interest. I wish you the best of everything and every happiness and success in your new lease of life.

Be kind to yourself.

Hugs to you.

Tilly x

PS. We share the same Dr ;)

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

#74 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:24 PM

PS. We share the same Dr ;)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: !!!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivinganti...oducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivinganti...r-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

#75 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hi, Tilly, and thanks so much for your post.

It's both good and bad that you share my view of us depressive types.  (I keep hoping someone will prove me wrong.)  I was just trying to decide what to do for Independence Day as I have two options this year, one of which is socializing at a picnic with neighbors in my over-55 development.  It dawned on me that so many people here are petty, narrow-minded and downright stupid that I feel like I'm walking on eggs when I have to be around them very much. I remember someone on the social activities committee (which I could only stand visiting once, forget becoming a member) being highly offended because some people who had not paid for some event or other had come around after everyone had eaten and had some of the leftovers.  They were just incensed that someone got free food, never mind that there are some people living here who can barely make ends meet, and the food was going to be trashed anyway.  There are people here who don't believe a person has a disability unless they can see it by virtue of a walker, a wheelchair, et cetera, and I've been offended enough to just whirl around and walk away when some stupe questions the shoulder and arm problems I got from Lipitor, which aren't noticeable until I reach for something above waist level.  :angry:  :(

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

#76 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

As a quick update, not much has changed since my last post except that I've set aside the writing ambitions and haven't found another purpose for my retirement years.  Life is often boring and lonely and I suspect that's been complicated by sleeping problems and my attempts to alleviate the problem with various OTC and prescription drugs. I haven't made it back to church yet, again because of the sleeping problems and not being able to get up for a Sunday morning service. I'm still volunteering at the food cupboard and enjoying that a great deal.  Wish I could find more things like that to do. Life seems to get harder as I get older.

I do want people to know that I never had a relapse into SSRI withdrawal symptoms after getting through the initial withdrawal (which was awful), and I've been off of Lexapro since December 14, 2011.  That's four years and six months altogether, although I'm not sure where to draw the line as to when that initial withdrawal hell was over.  Anyway, the temporary relapse into withdrawal that so many people fear is not inevitable and it possibly isn't even common.  I think if you worry about it happening it's more likely to happen.

I'm sorry I've been away so long.  I've missed the forum and plan to stop in more often.

#77 alex

alex

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationCosta Rica

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Hello dear Jemima.

I am happy to hear from you.

I am not getting any younger either;Ill be 62 next November...but I am getting my life back, and trying to get the best of it, despite a lingering anhedonia and moderate depression, that comes and goes.

I  do believe that healing doesn`t stop, but we have to give it a try.

Keep in touch.

Hugs.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

#78 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hey, Alex!

I was just thinking about you and wondering if you were still checking in here. I'm so glad to know that you're doing well!

I agree that healing goes on indefinitely, and I'm thinking that it's hard to know healing from ADs from normal personal growth after a few years. I've learned that part of my long recovery time was due to taking lorazepam (Ativan--a benzo), antihistamines, and various supplements to help with symptoms, especially insomnia.  I quit taking Vitamin C @ 1000 mg. twice a day a few weeks ago and discovered that's what was tearing up my digestive system. (Taking too much can also cause insomnia--who knew?)  I just stopped taking the benzo three days ago, and although I only took it for less than a week at a time and took breaks of 36 to 62 hours in between, I still got rebound insomnia Thursday night, and  figure that's probably the first sign of dependency.  Got a good night's sleep last night, but I was still tired this morning, probably from taking a generic Benadryl for sleep along with Melatonin.  Both of those are going to go, too.

No more trying to solve problems with pills!

#79 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Unbelievable.  I just spent roughly half an hour adding to this topic and blew it away with the flick of a fingernail.  So I'm going to save this right now.

As I was saying, my improvement has continued since my last post and I'm still not entirely sure where I would draw the line between being in withdrawal and being "well", but I'm now over most of the symptoms with the exception of some food sensitivities and occasional problems with sleeplessness, which can be aggravated by using lorazepam for more than five or six days in a row. That stuff is *tricky* and I keep it around mostly for those days when the pain from my bad shoulders and back are just too much for me.  Meanwhile avoiding manufactured sugars and any kind of grain products has helped a lot, as has circumin and SAM-e.

I'm feeling lonely and directionless right now as my once-a-week volunteer job at a church food pantry ended back in October and I haven't found a replacement yet.  The church had been financially mismanaged for some years and they finally had to sell the building and send the clientele to a larger nearby pantry and soup kitchen, but a very bureaucratic and non-Christian place where I had already volunteered for a year and never did like it.  Since the borough where the church is located bought the building for  a community center, I'm hoping they start up some services where I can be of help.

No promises about signing in more often, but it does feel good to be back for a bit.

#80 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,083 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

Hi, Jemima. Good to hear from you. I'm glad you're doing well and keeping busy. Now we have to do something about that sleep pattern.

You've darkened your bedroom, etc.?

I'm sure you'll find something productive to do, if you like the community center, there's so much you could get involved in. In the meantime, how about Meetup? Or if you like to knit or crochet, start a neighborhood knitting circle? 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#81 Jemima

Jemima

Platinum star

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

Darkening the bedroom hasn't worked all that well for me as I fell several times, once spraining my wrist rather badly, so I keep at least one nightlight on until there's a bit of daylight showing around the curtains.  Or maybe I should try a sleep mask again but be very careful to push it way up on my head when I get up.  I'm pretty sure I fell once or twice because the thing slid down over my eyes and the room was too dark to tell the difference.

I don't think the community center is rolling yet since they just made settlement on the building at the beginning of November and it needs lots of maintenance and remodeling work, but I mean to check on their progress every now and then. It's also high time for me to get involved with a church. I do check in with Meetup from time to time and there are several needlework groups around that I could join.  For the time being, I just feel very let down and don't quite know where I want to go from here.

How are you doing? I'm very impressed that this group is still going so strong, and relieved, too.  It seems to be needed more and more as mainstream medicine turns  almost entirely to pills and surgery as cures for everything.