Altostrata

Australia members, please check in here

283 posts in this topic

Please post below if you live in Australia.

I am thinking that connecting our members geographically will enable

• Face-to-face meetings or phone contacts for those of you who wish to meet
  • Support groups
  • Sharing information about doctors, clinics, compounding pharmacies, etc.
  • Organizing to educate physicians, hospitals, and university professors
  • Organizing to contact members of local and national government
  • Research by Australian researchers

Even if you don't wish to do any of the above, if you are in Australia, please check in here.

Please also click the Follow This Topic button at the top right so you will receive notices about others posting here.

AND -- if you've haven't introduced yourself to the rest of the community yet, please go to our Introductions and Updates forum and start a topic for yourself. You can post updates to your Intro topic to track your progress.

Edited by Altostrata
added link to Intro forum

bump -- an interviewer from the Four Corners TV program is looking for Australians to interview.

Hi Alto

Do you have details for the interviewer?

D

The interviewer writes, in part:

I am a researcher with an investigative journalism program in Australia called Four Corners. I have been researching a program examining the growth of antidepressant and anti-psychotic drug use and the potential consequences.

A bit of background about us - we are Australia's oldest and most respected journalism programs. We make long-form television programs in the style of Frontline in the US or Panorama in the UK. If we were to make a program on this issue it would be an in depth investigation aimed at educating people while also raising awareness....

Here's our website: http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/

The interviewer is aware of acetyl's topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6089-acetyl-asenapine-saphris-withdrawal-hell/

Posting in this topic does not give the interviewer permission to interview you about this unless you expressly give that permission.

The interviewer would use our personal messaging system to protect your anonymity in initial contacts.

Otherwise, this topic is for the purpose stated: To allow our Australia members to find each other, etc.

It is a reputable program. I would be interested to talk to them (via PM)

Hello to the other Aussies,

I am in Victoria, out from Melbourne. My history is in my thread.

I'm traveling well at the moment and looking forward to spring.

Take care

D

I'm in the west, south of Perth.

At this point, I'm still in fairly severe protracted withdrawal after stopping lexapro too fast, and then further destabilizing my nervous system with irregular use of other psychotropics to try and manage symptoms.

Hi all , I live in Sydney and would be interested to talk to Four Corners.

I've been treated with anti-depressants for around 30 years ( I just turned 50!!) and lived with serotonin syndrome for many years.    This was not recognized and the doctors I was seeing kept increasing the doses and changing me from one to another. 

I have recently been diagnosed by the Black Dog Institute as having Bipolar 2, depression (melancholic) and a panic disorder.    Am now on a mood stabiliser and feeling the best , most calm , I can remember.

I'd really like to be put in touch with other members in Australia.    All the best , One

Hi everyone, I too am from Sydney and I am a noob to tapering of the meds. I have just reduced my Cymbalta 60mg capsule by 3 beads and in about 3 days I am about to reduce my capsule by 5% and not 10%(to be on the safe side).

I too would really like to be put in touch with other members in Australia. I was also thinking that starting some anonymous support group online and possibly starting a local group where people meet to talk and support eachother in tapering of meds and anti depressants.

I would also be interested in being interviewed by Four Corners (I would prefer a face to face interview so I can see the exiting world inside the ABC studios).

I think that there should be a plan to secretly meet and talk about strategies to coming of psych meds and anti depressants whilst trying to support eachother. We just need to hire a venue and all chip in to pay for it each week. Or if that is impactical because we all live in different states, we could do  a Google hangout when we are logged into Google+ and talk more there.

hiya I am in Perth and it sounds interesting. Just joined up yesterday so no history in signature yet. Here it is for now.

2012 - 2014 : zoloft 50mg for post natal depression

august 2014 - tapered to 25mg 

august 20th - no medication! 

withdrawal: anger, anxiety, faint, exhausted, spaced out. 

Hi Asha

Welcome to the forum. Can I ask you to start a thread in the introductions forum. All members have their own thread there which they use to reflect on what's happening for them, keep a journal of their symptoms and/or seek advice.

One of the reasons I'd like you to start your own thread is because I'm a little concerned that you have tapered very quickly. In your intro thread it would be good to know a bit more about your taper. How did you get to 25, when did you start, how often did you drop and the same for the 25-0 taper (which looks like it took 3 weeks max). Also, how are you feeling, and is that getting better, worse, staying the same

Dalsaan

Hi Fresh

Can I also ask you to start a personal thread in the introductions forum and perhaps let us know what support you are looking for here. We focus on people coming off meds, are you doing this, planning too or staying where you are at? That's all up to you, just wondering how we can help

Dalsaan

Hey,

I'm in Melbourne, for anyone who is interested.

Keen to contact other locals in the same predicament.

Amy 

Hi there.

I am off all medication now after 18 very difficult months of withdrawal. The stories and advice here has been invaluable to me. I am also in Australia and am interested in the Four Corners story.

My very best wishes to everyone still suffering.

Zip

Hi Zip

Welcome to the forum. Could I ask you to start a thread in the intro section to tell us about your withdrawal process, how you did it, what you experienced and how you are going now

Dalsaan

Hi all!  I'm a Yank now living in Brisbane.

I am in USA right now for another week.

I am offering some books to ship out - I went a little crazy and ordered duplicates of books that are impossible or expensive to get in Australia.  Please see this thread and PM me ASAP if you want me to bring any of these books to OZ for you and I will ship them out from there.....

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6951-antipsychiatry-books/

JanCarol

Edited by Altostrata
changed USA to Australia

Hi, I'm 37yo in Brisbane (via Melb & Syd). I finished tapering off Cymbalta (30mg/day 2.5yrs use) in Nov 2013. Withdrawal symptoms fully disappeared by January 2014. Trying to use exercise, mindfulness, diet & sleep to manage depression/anxiety. Definitely have kept myself in a "safe cocoon" and don't generally venture to far out of my comfort zone to keep things in balance. Happy to be included in forums with other Aussies :-) thanks for setting this up Altostrata.

Hi.

I'm in Adelaide. Interested in contact. Have just joined the site and started a topic.

Hi, I'm in Adelaide too. Have just joined the site but I have been using it as a research tool for the past year. I successfully tapered off 100mg Pristiq in Feb 2014 after 6 years and a few false starts. I had terrible withdrawals and brain zaps each time I tried to stop. Eventually I had it compounded by Jeff Ramsey Pharmacy in North Adelaide into 10mg capsules and mixed with a slow release formula supplied by the chemist. I then took it at evenly spaced intervals throughout the day, gradually reducing over an 8 week period. Was doing well until I stopped using THC and alcohol in June this year. Considering further antidepressant use now given the severity of my recent depression but confused about which one to go on after having tried so many. Have been on many SSRI and SNRI over the last 20 years and am concerned about the long term effects on my brain, am wondering if my response to the lack of drugs now might be an extension of withdrawal syndrome and if maybe I should do my best to stick it out. Very grateful for this forum, I have used it a lot.

Hi I live in regional Victoria and would be happy to keep in contact with other Australians.  I have tapered from 100mg to 50mg Pristiq and are looking to go to zero; however I am very frightened and can not make up my mind what is the best way to do this. 

Regarding the Four Corners researcher, I'd also be interested in helping with the program.

SSRIs left me with permanent physical damage. Afterwards I sought to understand how this could've happened and I applied my training as a hard scientist to piece together the facts behind SSRIs & other psychopharmaceuticals.

I've spent the last several years trying to get this issue taken up by the broader activist subculture in Sydney as the justice issue that it is. I've given a couple of public talks on the topic, and have been involved in some mental health discussions at fairly high levels, including, recently, with a delegation to the NSW Minister for Mental Health.

Alas, it's been next to impossible to get the matter taken seriously. Too many people in activist circles have — for an identifiable set of reasons — little interest in questioning technology of the mental-health-industrial complex.

Likewise, the people with whom I met the Mental Health Minister have — for an identifiable set of reasons — little interest in either the truth, or worse, even picking up a pop-science book and learning about the scientific claims behind the technology that dominates their area of concern. They're only interested in dealing in warm, motherhood statements, not rational assessment or scientific evidence. At the meeting with the minister, this group of people made statements — predictably warm & fuzzy — that nevertheless completely contradicted one another. That's how little they actually think about their position.

For his part, the minister cracked jokes — in a conversation about suicide, no less!

I spent three years trying to tell one prominent mental health campaigner about the risks of SSRIs, only to have him ring me up one day and say "You won't believe what I just found out! [A forensic psychiatrist] just told me...." and he went on to tell me exactly what I'd been telling him for three years as though he'd only just learnt about it.

So, given how much effort I've put in to trying to get broader recognition of the problems with psychopharmaceuticals, and given how everyone seems to want to keep their head in the sand, I'd be more than happy to do whatever I can to facilitate this vital discussion's departure from the shadows and its expansion in to the sunlight of broad Australian discourse.

Thank you, FastidiousAssassins. Welcome to our community. Please start a topic to tell your personal story in our Introductions forum.

Is there a contact email for the Four Corners Journalist?

Well, here it is "mental health week" on the ABC.  I haven't been able to face any of the programs, for fear that it's "same old same old" "awareness raising" "contact the people who will give you medicine" "no shame in being sick" "It's like diabetes" stories. 

Am I wrong?  Has anyone else tuned into any of the ABC programs?  I have a feeling that the Four Corners thing was for that.  Did anyone of us get interviewed? 

Was there anything about our side of the story in Mental Health Week on ABC?

Angelique, you are my nearest neighbor, provided you haven't left for the Daintree yet......There are pockets of rural bliss all around Brisbane.  It's the only Aussie City I think I could stand (besides small ones like Port Macquarie or Maleny or such).  I have 1/3 acre of solid rainforest. 

I'll leave it up to you, but PM me if you'd like to meet up for a coffee.  I'm on the Northside, and would go as far south as City.

I didn't have much desire to watch mental health weeks tv shows being broadcast on abc and abc2,

but I did watch some of the posts by ABC's radio station Radio National. Radio National was putting alot of pro-Psychiatry articles and

content on their facebook page and, when I criticised them for pushing Psychiatry's diagnoses and drugs, I just got a bunch of

people comparing the Pscyhiatric pharmaceutical meds to that of other more valid drugs, ie 'you don't tell people to stop using insulin

when they have Diabetes';    .....but how can people even compare something a scientifically verifiable as the existence of

Diabetes or Asthma and then compare it to something as flimsy as pseudo scientific as psychiatric diagnoses

in the DSM 5 ie. 'Voyeuristic Disorder' or a diagnosis along the lines of 'Sado Masichism Disorder'?

I agree altruist. If I hear that diabetes analogy one more time I will have a melt down. But how do you get people to understand the impact the medications have and that the research behind them is shoddy? Unless you have had the side effects or withdrawl who would believe it? Despite the extremity of what happened to me, there are only a few people around me who see the real cause. Unfortunately having a mental illness can equal a lack of credibility to narrow minds. The play it safe and take the meds despite the side effects mentality is rife.

HI everyone

I'm Cali and I'm in Brisbane too. Just wanted to poke my head in *waves* will chat some more later :)

Cali

I too am in Adelaide, Fuzzylogic and Janelee- I have 'added you as friends' on the site. I am about to start tapering Pristiq for the third time. I am going to do a video diary so contacting four corners, or the like, afterwards was going to be an option for me anyway- I want to get the word out about this awful drug.

hi i am from melbourne and would love to hear from others tapering off ad's for support. is class action possible?

I have not yet made a complaint to the TGA, but documenting my withdrawal and will do so once I am off Pristiq. Has anyone contacted them with a complaint and had any feedback?

hi can someone please advise me of a top psychatrist in melbourne who is famillier with withdrawral symptoms. i am currently seeing a psychiatrist at the melbourne clinic in richmond. not sure about him.

Well done everyone!  I live in Albany, Western Australia.  When I first got depressed, my ex did not want to call anyone locally,   (probably embarrassment).  I just didn't want to get out of bed, and drinking too much under stress, did not help.  He sent me to my sisters place, near Perth.  She introduced me to the wonders of modern psychiatry, and convinced me how unwell I was, with a genetic link, or some crap.  The old "chemical imbalance".. That was about 20 years ago.  on an off tablets, as I was pregnant three times after this.  Second baby died due to heart problems caused by the antidepressants. (Did not give em up quickly enough)....  One thing I have learnt is when I went off antidepressants while pregnant, I was quite happy and healthy, after the birth, a rebound effect... Just like what I am going through now.   It is like all the pregnancy hormones cope with everything, but once they are out of you system, it is like I just gave up the drugs yesterday.  Wish I had known that then  :)  

Anyway, yes I would be happy to participate.  If it helps others before they have to go through hell and back, and lose everything, as I have, to be their old self....

I went to a local psychiatrist to give up the antidepressants.  Outcome?  Ended up on more of em. convinced me that I would never get off em.  Anyhow I did manage to get off efexor, and my blood pressure and damaged liver went back to normal. I wish you luck.  My advice is to get what you think you may need in scripts, and rely on a good forum. 

The message some-one mentioned about highest dose legal.  I was told that any dose is fine, as long as prescribed by a psychiatrist. My doc was always ringing through for an authority script....  (Gee I thought I must be really, really bad).   My first dothiepin dose was 375 mg.  that's where it all started for me. Believing the  lies.

Just saw this, I live in Brisbane, formerly Canberra.

The Four Corners thing sounds bloody awesome. I hope they go ahead with it.