Great Britain members, please check in here

84 posts in this topic

I'm in North East Derbyshire :)

I'm in the south east in sussex.

Im not in the uk im from across the irish sea southern ireland

I'm in Bridgend South Wales

Im in Nottingham at the moment :)

Also have a base in Cheshire, near Crewe

Service user needed to join the Programme Advisory Group for the Research into Antipsychotic Discontinuation And Reduction (RADAR) study Introduction We are looking for a mental health service user to join the Programme Advisory Group for a new and exciting six year study. The study is about the process of discontinuing or reducing antipsychotic medication. The study lead is Dr Joanna Moncrieff from UCL. The research will take place in London and Essex. What is the Programme Advisory Group? The function of the Advisory Group is to provide external scrutiny to this NIHR Programme Grant for Applied Health funded research study. The chair of the group is Prof Tom Craig from the Institute of Psychiatry Psychology and Neuroscience (IOPPN). The Programme Advisory Group will meet twice a year in London. What will be required? The following will be required of Advisory Group members:  Attending face to face meetings of the group in London twice a year. Meetings will last between three and four hours (with breaks)  Reading papers ahead of meetings and with other group members holding the study team to account.  Constructively raising any concerns that you might have and offering possible solutions.  Responding to occasional correspondence between meetings of the group by email. Reimbursement for your time will be offered and all reasonable travel expenses will be covered. Applicants will need to be comfortable in using email and have some experience of sitting on similar groups for other mental health research studies. Some knowledge of mental health research will also be required. Experience of taking anti-psychotic medication is essential. The research will focus on people with a diagnosis of schizophrenia and so we are looking for people with relevant lived experience. How to apply To apply please complete the application form and return it to Thomas Kabir (email: thomaskabir@mcpin.org) by 5pm on July 17th 2015. For more information please contact the study lead Dr Joanna Moncrieff (email: j.moncrieff@ucl.ac.uk)

If there is a UK thread maybe it would be a good idea to post it there since people have to live in the UK to participate. 

merged with the Great Britain topic.

Hi I am based in the Wirral, near Liverpool

Hi I am based in the Wirral, near Liverpool

I am in Hertfordshire and I found life works in Surrey to be an amazing help getting off ads and I called the Bristol tranquilliser project too for support. Good this helps some UK residents!

I am in Hertfordshire and I found life works in Surrey to be an amazing help getting off ads and I called the Bristol tranquilliser project too for support. Good this helps some UK residents!

That sounds interesting. What kind of help do they offer? It always seemed to be me that places like that recognise how real addictions to recreational drugs are but didn't offer much help for people affected by psychiatric drugs?

Count me in on this. will help in any way I can. 

I am in Hampshire not too far from Southampton.

x

Hi all, I am from London. Thanks

Hi I am from Lancashire

Hi,

I am on the border of Derbyshire, Leicestershire & Nottinghamshire.

I would like to set up a support group in the new year. Please PM me if you would be interested in attending.

Tilly x

Hi

I live in Haslemere on the Hampshire/ Surrey border, would be pleased to meet up with anyone who would like to share their experiences. Would be great to meet someone who can actually relate to my own situation

Another member from Lancashire  :)  (North East England)

Woops Lancashire that's North West...  :D

I'm near London. Probably won't be into meeting up (too anxious to get out at the moment anyway) but happy to share info about any UK issues. 

Hovering close between staffordshire and derbyshire.

So many in the Midlands (so near and yet so far)

Hi, I live in Devon which is in the South West

I am very interested in any support group and any up dates via email , am in bedfordshire

I'm in Liverpool.

I'm in London- central. Very interested

Just moved back from Canada.

Now living in the Southwest - Somerset, near Yeovil.

Check out the current events forum on here!

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11652-uk-members-write-mps-about-drug-dependency-progress-in-the-uk/#entry215784

Following an investigation into dependency caused by prescribed medications, The Council for Evidence Based Psychiatry in the UK have convinced the British Medical Association that they need to consider providing withdrawal clinics and several other key measures for people wishing to withdraw from prescribed medications such as benzos, z drugs and antidepressants.

The article which comments on the BMA investigation can be found on the CEP website at www.cep.org.uk  and also in the Events forum on here under my post.

Check it out!

As this has been debated in parliament and championed by the All Party Parliamentary Group for this matter, it would be helpful if we could all write to our MPs offering our own stories and peer support.  The article on the CEP website talks about finding peer supporters to tell their stories and to offer support to others in similar situations.  This practice is used a lot by the NHS in mental health atm, with peer supporters being recruited into many areas of mental health care. You may have seen the roles advertised? Perhaps this will be the avenue explored for withdrawal support ?  It seems likely....

IMO I think that the NHS will need more than peer support for people trying to get off these drugs - they will need expert advice from calm, well informed professionals who know a lot about withdrawal. It would be helpful if people withdrawing could have informed medical advice too, for those situations which put us in some form of danger or harm!   Those of us who have been able to draw on the expert advice given out on this website are uniquely placed to advocate the advice on offer here, which - in my opinion - cannot be equalled or found anywhere else in the UK currently.

Writing to the CEP or your MP to advocate that SA might be used as a "model" for good practice is a suggestion I would like to make to my MP.  Obviously, this is only my opinion.... you may have other suggestions?  

I will be sending a letter to the commissioner for mental health services in my local NHS Trust and asking him for his comments on how the trust could respond to this. I gave my story to my local recovery college last year, which my local commissioner knew about.  The recovery college were, at the time, considering running a course on "withdrawing from psych meds".  Needless to say, it didn't happen but maybe I will refresh their memories.  Do any of you have recovery colleges near you who might be interested in running courses?

It would be worth finding out who the Mental Health Commissioner is for your area and writing to him/her too if you feel able. Perhaps you might also like to consider asking your local MP to back you, given that parliament have discussed and endorsed further action into the issue of prescription drug dependency?

The mental health commissioners choose how budgets are allocated and make decisions on how trust funds are spent as well as following up on any parliamentary actions suggested.  They recently had responsibility for the Parity of Esteem work which looked at why people with mental health issues had their physical health overlooked, and also commissioned structured action plans for Crisis Care under the Crisis Care Concordat planning rules.  This issue is likely to land on the mental health commissioners desk for each health trust up and down the UK and now would be a good time to offer your support if you can give it.  

It would be incredibly helpful if you could all look at what is being proposed and consider how you could help. We have a fair geographic spread across the UK on this site and we have all been "educated" by SA in the safest known ways to withdraw from these drugs. We all therefore have a potential role to play in moving things forward.

Please think about how you could help.  We know from experience that without endorsement from the public these schemes can fall flat on their faces. Please do what you can to help.

x

Great article marmite , this is good news and is a step forward , I shall for one will be writing my story and sending it on , in hope that it may one day save someone going through what I have gone through in w/d , through practisioners truly understanding and treating w/d properly , in stead of just stopping meds with out proper tapers and support

Is anyone going to see the Speakmans? They are amazing and help people overcome phobias, PTSD, OCD, anxiety etc. No meds just retraining your brain. I am going to Nottingham and hoping to put my PTSD behind me . Many of us here need to find ways of coping with the stuff that led us to drugs, it's worth a shot and means a weekend away too ;)

http://www.speakman.tv/#!/page_home

Im from colindale, London. saw a south west but not an south east

This came into the intro threads this morning.

I'm a British BBC TV reporter and I want to make a film about the problems of withdrawing from antidepressants. I'm keen to hear from people who've struggled with SSRIs, particularly if you like in the UK. Also what you think about the lack of support groups, or if you HAVE a support group, how do you help?

Please email me your stories, confidentially at first, of course, although ultimately I'm looking for people who will be willing to stand up and speak about what's happened to them.  I think few people know or report this sort of problem and I know many of you are really really struggling for help.  My BBC2 programme wants to expose all this, so please get in touch.

Lesley.ashmall@bbc.co.uk

Thank you very much.  This forum has been recommended to me by several long-term members, so forgive my intrusion.

Please send them your stories

nz11

Just moved back from Canada.

Now living in the Southwest - Somerset, near Yeovil.

I have since moved to Reading, Berks but still meet with the SA Southwest UK Support Group once a month.

Hi Folks

I'm new to this site

I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder and am slowly tapering off all sorts of meds (venlafaxine, lthium and quatiapine)

I'd like to attend or set up a support group in or around greater Manchester

Any takers?

Just joined here

Going through hell

I'm in SE London