SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SSRI or Lamotrigine Rash

moodyblues78

About 2 weeks ago I got fever with a bad rash to my right thigh.

I did not think much of it. It was itchy and the severity changed a lot often.

Today I ran into this: http://www.health-pictures.com/rash/images/lamitical.jpg. That was apparently caused by lamictal.

Looks very much like mine. 

My rash is better now but I`m worried if this is I sign of my body getting allergic to zoloft and ct does not sound too appealing.. I went to see a doctor and he said it was some kind of allergic reaction.

Are these skin symptoms common in withdrawal and can they be serious?

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

when I was on paxil I had a ring around my upper arm and I had it on Lexapro.  When I got off those drugs it went away.  It was very itchy and the sun made it itchier. 

The only thing that worked was lidocaine gel.  At that time I read that these rashes and rings are common.

You may want to check it out and ask the doctor for the lidocaine gel.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

i got several of those after quitting my ssri , never had it on my ssri tho

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

• Administrator

moodyblues, it would be unusual for someone to develop a rash while reducing a psych drug.

Could the rash be a reaction to something else? Perhaps laundry detergent in your clothes or bedcovers?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I can not think of anything that it could be from. We have been using the same detergent for years and it`s a very "allergy friendly" brand. 

Luckily the rash is almost completely gone but the skin is still itchy. Hopefully it won`t get bad again. 

I didn`t link it to withdrawal until I saw that picture above.

Withdrawal has made me sensitive to all sorts of things. Like I cannot eat pineapple anymore. Who knows what is the cause for this. I have to be more careful of what I eat and what chemicals I use.

I think the reason for this more likely is my wd based sensitivity and not the drug itself. 

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

12/28/2014 Jump!

ive noticed that ive got so sensitive from things after quitting ssri , maybe its because my nervsystem is sensitive aswell from stress and stress can trigger allergis i think.

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

Here is a few ideas -

Hormone changes contributed to my skin changes (itching ) and lack of iodine in my diet (lack of it due to no added salt, and mostly using sea salt if at all). I use no sauces of any kind and I am vegetarian.  Lethargy was the first sign of thyroid issue for me along with unequal eye size 

Stress can affect thyroid - which is connected to hormones - - - lack of iodine (for me) and stress contributed to my skin rashes. 

Also - this may be a bit disturbing - but look in your attic if you have one -I was being attacked by awful night time pins needles and outrageous itching. Turns out bats were nesting on the OUTSIDE of my attic in the leuvers on the other side of the blocked entry of the screening - they carry mites as do mice, rats and birds (look for bird nests around your property). Once the bats were rehomed and the guano was eliminated, the itching pins and needles stopped

. I will say that MRSA is a possible cause and on the rise - compromised immune systems are at higher risk....look for signs in your pets as well - there is disagreement of zoonotic MRSA. Demodectic mange in pets may also affect people as it is also  mite. Look for hair loss in pets as one sign of MRSA. Read about the colonization and transmission of MRSA between pets and humans. Some Vets disagree - 

Check for bedbugs and consider if you have traveled and stayed in a hotel  or hospital as MRSA and Bedbugs are  known possibility for transference. 

Just some considerations - 

For thyroid I supplemented with seaweed (high in iodine) and my symptoms of itching and rashes were further reduced. 

Skin scrapings can be investigated by a doctor for determining the etiology of these rashes. 

Best of luck. 

Sorry if this was kind of a vile topic contribution with morning coffee (which is not the best in tapering LOL). 

I'M A WEANER!  :D 
atavan PRN ,Paxil approx 20 yrs ago for major depression
Switched to Klonopin PRN through to current
Paxil wore out
Changed to Effexor 
Depakote added
enormous weight gain - flat affect - led to depression - dropped depakote
Dropped Effexor, changed to Paxil 
PDoc added mixed salts amphetamines for ADHD - took for 2 yrs - was ok at first but had to cut as symptoms too intense -  then the crash was too much. STOPPED
Vyvanse started in 2013 (APRIL) - more smooth than IR amphetamine tabs---Have not used vyvanse daily in full amt since May 2013 

Paxil CT withdrawal 10/2012  :wacko:  Klonopin CT WD

Switched Klonopin to Xanax prn  - too strong

WD CT from XANAX after taking for a while - it was awful but can be done if you hold on!

Back to Klonopin PRN - working very hard to avoid taking it at all. 

Effexor 37.5 started 02/2013, 75mg by 03/2013, 150mg by 05/2012 (approx)  :blush:

Effexor 150mg 3/10/2014 Microtaper -3beads  :unsure:

3/11/2014-4beads ,3/12/14 - 5, 3/13/14 -6, 3/15/14 - 7, 3/18 - 8, 3/22 - 10, 3/24 - 12, 4/6 - 13, 4/7 - 14, 4/11 - 16 - on 4/19 ran out of brand took generic. Bad move. Back on brand on 4/20 and updosed 2 beads. 5/1 - 15, 5/6 - 16, 5/9 -17, 55/10 -17, 5/15 -18, 5/21 -19, 5/24 -20, 6/3 - 21, 6/6 -23, 6/13 -24,6/19- 25, 6/21 -26, 6/25 -27

6/28 -28, 6/29 -30, 7/3 -34, 7/8 -35, 7/17 -36, 7/30 -41,7/31 -42, 8/2 -43, 8/3 -44, 8/5 -45, 8/14 -48, 8/26-50, 9/24 -53, 10/24 -55, 12/1 -57, (lost the tally sheet, thus taper info for some of it), 4/19-63, 4/26-64, 4/30-65 Switched to wt reduction - now @ -.068, 7/14 -.070, August 2015 -.074, between Sept & October 10 -.077, Nov. -.078(feeling great), -.090 as of 1/10/16, down to  -.101 since January 2016 (it is now 6/24/16), -.105 as of 8/13/16

Ladies, please don't underestimate the possibility of perimenopause. The symptoms can be similar to, may intensify & in some cases mimic protracted w/d from ssri's & benzo's. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been getting rashes and skin irritations on and off since I've been in withdrawal, and I'm not generally a rash kind of person, so I just figured it was one more withdrawal symptom and would stop eventually.  I kind of had a theory that I had become sensitive to the toxins in my own sweat, seeing as I'm sensitive to lots of other things now.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I hardly ever have rashes and this one seems to be gone.

We live in an apartment so (hopefully) no bats here :)

We did visit my mother-in-law and the rash came after that trip so it could be something I got from there.

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

12/28/2014 Jump!

• 2 months later...

i'm not familiar with rashes and have a question. sorry if this is the wrong topic as i'm not on SSRIs anymore.

i noticed a rash yesterday on my mid to lower back. it's not itchy and i feel fine, it's just something i happened to notice.  there are about 4 groups and they look like rub marks but i think its a rash as it still present after almost 24 hours, but doesn't seem worse. i've been on a low dose of lamictal/lamotrigine since february ranging from 12mg in feb and stable at 1.25mg since may. i can't help to worry if it could be lamictal related. 

i've taken some new supplements this past week and not sure if something there could be triggering it. vitamin D3 gummies (1000 I.U.), de-stress (hydrolyzed casein, but i don't seem to have issues with dairy), upped my fish oil to 2 tbsp, and take a calming homeopathic solution which I've used off and on but only started to take regularly this past week.

i left my psychiatrist a message but he's on vacation until next week. i'm not sure if i should have it looked at by my PCP asap or just wait a few days to see if it gets better. i'm also not sure if i should taper down my lamotrigine in the meantime either. 

no new detergents or bats. :) just weird stress and nerve issues during withdrawals.

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

I developed rashes/skin conditions during my protracted w/d, saebborhic dermatitis, facially and on my chest, my Brother developed this too after Reducing his Ssri? Definitely something to do with the drug.

Nov 2007 - Feb 2010 prozac 20mg

Feb 2010 - April 2010 prozac 40mg

Cold Turkey Prozac April 2010 due to severe cramps/bleeding

Severe withdrawal symptoms thereafter and protracted withdrawal continuing.

very interesting. i see rashes are also part of the symptoms list in the recovery and renewal book.

i will need to make an appt and get a doc to check it out. it hasn't spread and it's lightening up. i did cut back on some of my supplements just in case.

thank you :)

Saebborhic dermatitis is a sign of anxiety.

I have it.

As my anxiety has gotten less intense, this symptom has improved.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

i looked it up and thats not the type i have (yet?) :)

i do have a case of stubborn chronic blepharitis. if WD can cause rashes, i wonder if WD is making this worse at well.

oh, i just read more info and it can cause blepharitis and red skin so maybe that is what i have. 

• Administrator

It could also be heat rash.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 9 months later...

I think the rashes have something to do with the body detoxing the drug from our skin.

*2000: Started Paxil CR 20 mcg at age 13

*Fall 2009: Came off Paxil CR 20 mcg cold-turkey

*Summer 2012: Reinstated Paxil CR 20 mcg

*April 2015: Started taper from 20mcg

*August 2015: Currently on 16mcg

skin problems, hair problems with anti-depressants -

Dr. David Healy's site: Rxisk  has sections on this problem - both skin and hair problems can be caused by pharmaceuticals, but your (my) doctor(s) wont know or admit it.   I have an odd Parkinsonism,  and about a week or two after starting a dopamine agonist  (Mirapex)I got a horrendously sore and large 'thing' on the back of my right hand.  The dermatologist said it was a seborrheaic keratosis (burned it off with liquid nitrogen) and was due to sun exposure when I was young.  I downloaded the product manufacturer's monograph, and guess what was on the list (endless) of side effects??? yes - skin and hair problems out of the blue, among a host of other horrible things. Since these drugs interfere with neurotransmitters, they affect every tissue in the body.  I was on clonazepam for a short time, and I told my family doctor that almost immediately my hair started to fall out - I blamed the drug....she said it was nonsense, the hair thinning was likely due to 'hormones' - I'm too old to have any! 

Healy's site is worth a look - but I love this one!

I am trying to go off Citalopram, and with levo-dopa, lorazepam and citalopram, I'm having a helluva time.

Retired in  May, 2010, still working part time  as Occupational Therapist in North Toronto Community Health Clinic - 6 family practice docs + vrs allied health professionals. I was resp. for  home or clinic "Barrier-free" patient population, i.e. CP/MS/MD/spinal cord inj/disease pts.- independent living but requiring Attendant Care - power wheelchair dependent people/; also Seniors' Advisory Ctte./Advocacy staff liaison to Board; [received good evaluation on mandatory College of OT's practice review].   Otherwise, stayed active in bicycling,  gym,  yoga, walking, theatre volunteering.  Enjoyed eating out in mid-level restaurants, liked my city on Lake Ontario. Enjoyed travel to Stratford, ON, time spent with friends and on farm.    I was not on any Rx drugs, no health problems, but took lots of health food dietary vitamins and supplements - stupid me [same corporations, same profit motive, no regulation of product by governmental or other oversight body.

• I think dietary supplement SAMe either triggered or contributed to sudden and accelerating deterioration into Parkinsonism, esp. late in 2011- I have  since found several scientific journal articles to support my opinion - all of my 5 doctors (family doc and 4 neurologists ignored it.)
  • Diagnosed at two major Toronto hospitals with "Idiopathic Parkinsonism" in early 2012.
  • Primary sympt. at that time:  rigidity, spasticity, slowness, deteriorating cursive writing, shaking arms/hands, severe burning pain in feet/knees/back, severe insomnia - no tremor at that time.
  • First Rx drug: generic sinemet [Apo-levocarb] 100/25  (3x/day) April 21, 2012. This drug was never very effective; only had ~ 1 hr ''ON" time, no matter the dose./timing. Sometimes sinemet seemed to make things worse rather than better, i.e. more muscle tone./cogwheeling/severe night sweats/low blood pressure.  
  • Next Rx drug; Zopiclone; neuro said it was NOt a  benzo., but worked on same receptors, therefore she never warned me re withdrawal problems. Took it for ~ 3 years nearly every night. Seemed to work well.
  • Third RX drug: Lorazepam. I asked Neuro for it as it seemed to make the levocarb work better and helped wth anxiety.  Neuro advised it was addictive, but never explained about tolerance, withdrawal, down-regulation of receptors. I took 0.25 mg once or twice a WEEK at first and that tiny amound helped for a day at least.
  • Fourth RX drug: Mirapex. i was still plagued by mostly "down" time with rigidity and non-movement disorders, so agreed to try Mirapex.  i never got up to the therapeutic dose (near threshold) because it made me so sick and it seemed to make things worse, i.e. more muscle tone, problems with balance, severe nausea.  Read manufacturer's monograph updated to 2012 and decided the risk was worth it, benefit unlikely.

My self-initiated withdrawals.  Every time i've changed one drug, i've had to make changes in the others too, e.g. at 20 mg Citalopram i had too much sinemet (dyskinesias) so i lowered sinemet to ~1000 mg and that was better.  Also, as Citalopram has gone down, Lorazepam has had to increase 'cause it seem not to last as long or work as well.

• So on my own, I decided to taper off Mirapex, not knowing a thing about withdrawal problems. Whew!  Thanks to zopiclone and increased frequency and dose of Lorazepam, i got off Mirapex in March 2013.
  • Next I took myself off Zopiclone after reading very negative things about its' long-term use.  I was doing this without guidance or help from MD's. I increased sinemet and lorazepam to cope with the withdrawal effects of Zopiclone. Going off Zopiclone made PD symptoms worse; neuro wanted to put me on Entacapone, but i declined it.

More MD's/more problems with Rx drugs.

• Zopiclone withdrawal + Incr. levocarb and incr. lorazepam landed me in the ER at CAMH, where there is a priscription drug withdrawal program, so I thought they could help me. The doctor took me off Zopiclone and Lorazepam and substituted Clonazepam alone.  From the first day Clonazepam caused frightening and serious side effects, like periods of amnesia, loss of balance, dizziness, memory problems, mental processing problems, serious nausea - worst was interdose withdrawal every 4 hours resulting in 'panic attacks' - i was jumping out of my skin!
  • Another RX drug: My own neuro gave me Citalopram to help me withdraw from Clonazepam.  Didnt work; after 2-3 weeks the Citalopram became a bigger problem with side effects than the Clonazepam. Neuro switched Lorazepam to replace the Clonazepam, but left me on the Citalopram. 
  • Rapid loss of 40 lbs of body weight into undernourished zone.
  • I ended up in ER with my forehead bashed down to the bone as a result of 'syncope'; unconscious for unknown lenght of time, probably only a few minutes. Neuro threw me under the bus - now said i needed the Citalopram for depression and Lorazepam for anxiety disorder - said there was an emotional component to my complaints and made a referral to a psychiatrist. I didnt go to him, but tried to get into a addictions/withdrawal program at that hospital, did see a 5th year psych. MD there. 
  • i got copies of last few neuro/psych reports to my family doctor - I was shocked.  I think the neuro/family doc were afraid i'd sue them or complain to the College of Physicians and Surgeons, so; they set up a 'defense' with psychiatric diagnosis to explain drug side effects and head injury, even suggested i might have 'psyhogenic' Parkinsonism.

More self-initiated withdrawal.

• I decided to get off most dangerous drug first - Citalopram; it never made me feel anything other than sick and near invalid from side-effects.
  • Have reduced dose from 20 mgs to, recently, 5 mg.  Having a terrible time - every day seems new problem - today it was akathisia coming out of nowhere - took Benadryl - it helps.
  • Nearly house-bound now. 

Current drugs:  Citalopram (taper: 20 mg to 15 mg to 12.5 to 10 to  5 to 2.5, then zero.)  44 days at zero, getting worse side effects now than when I was 'ON' it.  Apo-Levocarb, immediate release (recent dose =1500mg) =~1250mg in 10 doses/day;/2-3 levo-carb CR/day;/Lorazepam (from 1.0 mg to 2.5 or 3, or more mg/day. Benadryl as needed. Tylenol as needed to reduce 'fever' feeling in head and/or headache. Occasional Advil.

Moody, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome is the name of the Lamictal rash and it can develop into something serious.

[i just saw your May 8 post so I struck a line through my questions, although I am still curious about whether your doctor had S-J in mind when making the diagnosis. I had one mild rash on Lamictal and went to the doc just in case. Everything else I know is from RxIsk, which someone posted. The hair thing is new to me. I've been blaming chemo that was five years ago, but maybe the drugs kept it from growing back properly.]

Did you mention the Lamictal and Stevens-Johnson to your doctor? It's so rare the doctor might not even think of it unless the right drug is mentioned by the patient, along with the name of the syndrome.

It's so rare the best dermatologist in my neck of the woods hasn't seen a case, and he's about 60.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/stevens-johnson-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20029623

• Mayo Clinic says:
  •  
  • Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a medical emergency that usually requires hospitalization.
  •  
  • Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a rare, serious disorder of your skin and mucous membranes. It's usually a reaction to a medication or an infection. Often,
  •  
  • Treatment focuses on eliminating the underlying cause, controlling symptoms and minimizing complications.
  •  
  • Stevens-Johnson syndrome begins with flu-like symptoms, followed by a painful red or purplish rash that spreads and blisters. Then the top layer of the affected skin dies and sheds.
  •  

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

skin problems, hair problems with anti-depressants -

Dr. David Healy's site: Rxisk  has sections on this problem - both skin and hair problems can be caused by pharmaceuticals, but your (my) doctor(s) wont know or admit it.   I have an odd Parkinsonism,  and about a week or two after starting a dopamine agonist  (Mirapex)I got a horrendously sore and large 'thing' on the back of my right hand.  The dermatologist said it was a seborrheaic keratosis (burned it off with liquid nitrogen) and was due to sun exposure when I was young.  I downloaded the product manufacturer's monograph, and guess what was on the list (endless) of side effects??? yes - skin and hair problems out of the blue, among a host of other horrible things. Since these drugs interfere with neurotransmitters, they affect every tissue in the body.  I was on clonazepam for a short time, and I told my family doctor that almost immediately my hair started to fall out - I blamed the drug....she said it was nonsense, the hair thinning was likely due to 'hormones' - I'm too old to have any! 

Healy's site is worth a look - but I love this one!

I am trying to go off Citalopram, and with levo-dopa, lorazepam and citalopram, I'm having a helluva time.

I was on mirapex I can't recall just now what it did to me but I stopped taking it wish my memory was better I know since then there was a big court case about it from a guy who gambled his life away when on it. I just can't recall what all it did to me. 

I had rashes some when on Effexor I had tons after a sort of cystic zits that were ugly hurt and left scares too just for fun.... I had one on my side by my liver like doc was not sure if it was shingles or not so treated me anyway he said to wait would be a bad idea 

Last rash was a couple wks ago or last wk can't recall but not too long ago and it came with hives mostly on the trunk and thighs 

Histamine is one thing to think about ... 

And yes WC for a time my hair covered the bathroom floor it has not returned to how it was before. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

A different drug-related rash was announced in January.

http://www.drugwatch.com/2015/01/08/fda-warning-geodon-fatal-skin-reaction/

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a safety announcement and required a new warning label for the antipsychotic drug Geodon – also known as ziprasidone – after it found evidence that medication can cause a potentially fatal skin reaction. The serious side effect may affect up to 2.5 million Americans who were prescribed the popular drug.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

I had a serious drug reaction rash to tegratol I think that was the name a seizure drug ruined an entire thanks giving kept the tub full and got in every half hour or so... aveeno bath soak helped. was horrid

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy