SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Wendi: lexapro withdrawal

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Last summer I went to my gp and told him that I didnt feel right like maybe I was depressed or something. I told him that I had taken effexor years ago. He asked me what mg of it I took and I thought it was 75 but wasn't sure so he prescribed it to me and out the door I went. What I didnt know was my life was about to change. I went home and popped my pill and 2 hours later was in the emergency room for what I thought was a heart attack. They did an ekg and said my heart was dine but the 75mg effexor was probably to much and it gave me a panic attack. They gave me adivian and sent me home. Well as soon as the adivian wore off the panic attacks came back full force. It was over 2 weeks before I could get into a psychiatrist. When I did he explained to me that it was a anxiety disorder caused by the meds. He started me on 5 mg lexapro and then moved me to 10. It was awful trying to even get on them. I had horrible side affects. It affected everything including my ears and I had vertigo for over 3 weeks. I was on it for 8 months and it did control the anxiety. The problem was the weight gain. 35 lbs in 8 months. He decided to take me off of it 8 weeks ago and I had horrific withdrawal symptoms. I now only have these weird waves of dizziness that come and go randomly. I was wondering if anyone else had the dizziness for this long. He gave me xanax to take for anxiety but I hate to take them and get addicted to them too.

10 mg lexapro. .25mg xanax. Only took xanax for a couple months. Took lexapro for 8 months. Went off lexapro in 1 week and currently not on anything. Ouch!!!! Last dose of lexapro was around March 1st.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Wendi-

How did you go off of Lexapro?  Going off of any antidepressant cold turkey is a bad idea as is tapering off too fast.  I'm surprised your withdrawal symptoms aren't worse.  Yes, dizziness is a very common withdrawal symptom and it's not unusual to have it for several months.  (When you have a chance, please put your psychiatric drug history in your signature; directions here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature.) You might want to read my Intro (link below) as I suffered withdrawal from Lexapro for over two years after tapering off of 10 mg.too fast. If your symptoms are down to dizziness and nothing else, count yourself lucky.

You're wise to avoid taking Xanax as it's highly addictive.  There are a number of people on this forum who've had to not only taper off of an antidepressant, but a benzo as well.  Are you still taking Ativan?  That is also a potentially addicting benzo.

Welcome to the forum, Wendi.  You'll find lots of good information and friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I tapered off within a week which I believe was way to fast. I did have really bad withdrawal symptoms for the first 4 weeks. I had the flu like symptoms, anxiety, ibs, extreme vertigo, insomia and extreme fatigue. The one thing I didnt understand was when I walked I would feel like I was walking to one side. It was really weird. I guess I am lucky that I only have the dizziness left as a side affect. I am concerned about it though because I dont know if its anxiety related or withdrawal related. I dont know if what im feeling now is what some people describe as brain zaps or its just plain dizziness. Its like these weird waves of vertigo that last a few minutes but they come and go all day. My doctor said that I could just take a xanax if I felt anxiety related symptoms. He gave me a prescription for .25 mg but I dont even like to take that. I would cut them in half. Lol! I did take 3 of them in the early stages of withdrawal but I didnt want to get hooked on anything else so I haven't taken one for about 6 weeks. Thanks for listening. Most people dont have a clue as to what im talking about when I try to explain what this feels like. :) they just look at me like I'm crazy.

10 mg lexapro. .25mg xanax. Only took xanax for a couple months. Took lexapro for 8 months. Went off lexapro in 1 week and currently not on anything. Ouch!!!! Last dose of lexapro was around March 1st.

Oh and no I only took an adivian when I went to the er. I actually went to the er 5 times thinking I was dying when I first started having panic attacks. Weird , right??

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wendi

You say the dizziness comes and goes, how often do you get it, how long does it last, has this changed over time?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

The dizziness might only last a few minutes to an hour but it happens about 3 or 4 times a day. I try to ignore the little spells and keep doing whatever im doing but the longer spells I usually try and lay down until it passes. It has gotten better since I first went off lexapro because its not an all day constant vertigo. Its just a really random dizziness. Ive tried to pinpoint something that triggers it but I cant. The only thing I can come up with is alot of movement of my head.

• Administrator

Welcome, Wendi.

This is a very dumb explanation of an adverse reaction to psychiatric drugs:

When I did he explained to me that it was a anxiety disorder caused by the meds.

Some people are very sensitive to serotonergics. It sounds like you had adverse reactions from the first.

Dizziness is a classic withdrawal symptom. You now have prolonged post-discontinuation syndrome. This may resolve over months or years.

It's quite possible your nervous system is now sensitized to antidepressants as a result of your adverse reactions and too-fast withdrawal. Many people here are in that situation. After 8 weeks, it's up to you if you'd like to try a reinstatement of a very small amount of Lexapro, perhaps 0.5mg, to see if that stops the withdrawal symptoms. If it works, you can stabilize and taper off by very small amounts.

Lexapro comes in a liquid to enable titration, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Reinstatement is better done sooner rather than later, so there's no guarantee this will help.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yeah I thought it was a pretty dumb explanation too. I thought about trying half of a .25mg xanax just to see if it takes it away. At least I would know that its anxiety or withdrawal related and not something more serious. I dont want to do that though. I have anther question. If people suffer with this for years or months what do they do for it ? Is there something people take for it or do they just stay dizzy for that long? How do they function ? How do they drive or go to work?

• Administrator

People do take an occasional tiny bit of Xanax, it helps many of the symptoms, but if you take it too often, it's addicting and you have to taper that, too. Benzo withdrawal can be very difficult.

Otherwise, they just cope with symptoms. See our Symptoms and Self-care forum for suggestions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for responding:) I probably won't take any not even a small amount. Lord knows I don't want to be addicted to anything else. I do have another question. It seems that I get more dizzy than normal when I'm around alot of noise like

In a resteraunt. Do you think it is sensitivity to noise due to withdrawl or anxiety?? Do you think it's possible to have an anxiety attack with the only symptom being dizziness? I had a sensitivity to noise when I first began to take lexapro but I would get dizzy and have a full blown panic attack. Now its just I get dizzy and nothing else. I did have all the same symptoms getting on lexapro as i did getting off of it. Is it possible to have an anxiety attack without noticing you are anxious? Thanks for listening and responding.

• Moderator Emeritus

I tapered off within a week which I believe was way to fast. I did have really bad withdrawal symptoms for the first 4 weeks. I had the flu like symptoms, anxiety, ibs, extreme vertigo, insomia and extreme fatigue. The one thing I didnt understand was when I walked I would feel like I was walking to one side. It was really weird. I guess I am lucky that I only have the dizziness left as a side affect. I am concerned about it though because I dont know if its anxiety related or withdrawal related. I dont know if what im feeling now is what some people describe as brain zaps or its just plain dizziness. Its like these weird waves of vertigo that last a few minutes but they come and go all day. My doctor said that I could just take a xanax if I felt anxiety related symptoms. He gave me a prescription for .25 mg but I dont even like to take that. I would cut them in half. Lol! I did take 3 of them in the early stages of withdrawal but I didnt want to get hooked on anything else so I haven't taken one for about 6 weeks. Thanks for listening. Most people dont have a clue as to what im talking about when I try to explain what this feels like. :) they just look at me like I'm crazy.

hello Wendi,

I just want to share my experience since I'm yet another (of many) Lexapro victims. I went off of 5 mg to 2.5 mg and after 2 weeks discontinued. 

I also had flu like symptoms initially. Not so much dizziness. My main symptom was irritability and feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. Th whole hell broke lose 45 days after when I had a dreadful panic like attack and for the first time in my life experienced depersonalisation which felt is I was losing my mind. I came here, reinstated and immediately felt some relief but was in a dreadful state walking around as a zombie for around 4 months after which I slowly began resembling my normal self. 

I would say that maybe what you call an anxiety attack without noticing you are anxious is what I described as a panic like attack: there wasn't so much anxiety but all of a sudden my thoughts were racing uncontrollably and it was like darkness was descending on my brain.

Withdrawal is dreadful and comes in many forms so discussing symptoms like this doesn't really help. Unfortunately, as it was in my experience when withdrawal symptoms start, they only get worse :( 

It would be useful if you added to your signature the date when you went off of Lexapro.

best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks bubble:) its nice to know I'm not alone. Before I became a member of this site I would get on here and just read everyone's personal stories just to know that I wasn't going crazy and this to shall pass. This last year has been hell like a dreadful dream I wish I could wake up from. I truly wish I would have never taken anything and fixed my problems on my own. I know you what your saying about the irritability. I have to try and keep myself as calm as possible so I dont blow up and bite someone's head off.:) lol

• Administrator

....After 8 weeks, it's up to you if you'd like to try a reinstatement of a very small amount of Lexapro, perhaps 0.5mg, to see if that stops the withdrawal symptoms. If it works, you can stabilize and taper off by very small amounts.

Lexapro comes in a liquid to enable titration, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Reinstatement is better done sooner rather than later, so there's no guarantee this will help.

I would have reinstated but I dont have anymore of it. I go back to my psych doctor on the 29th. I will see if I can get a script for it and try it. Its possible that its been to long for it to work though.

• Moderator Emeritus

I get a script from my GP (and we often inform people it's the same in the States). 29 th is really far.

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Any doctor can write the prescription. I suggest you phone your GP, say you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and request a prescription for Lexapro liquid so you can reinstate at a low dose. Tell your doctor the NDC code.

NDC Code 0456-2101-08 <-- this is the order code for liquid Lexapro

I actually did mention it to my gp when I was I there about a month ago. He just said to wait it out and it could take months.

Im going to call my psych doctor on monday and get into him as soon as possible.

• Administrator

You might be a little more insistent, say the symptoms are intolerable and you want to try a little liquid Lexapro.

I will talk to him about it. He's actually a pretty good psych doctor considering he wanted me to try and get off this stuff instead of making me stay on it my entire life. I'm sure he will give me a script for it if I ask. I just hope its not to late for it to actually work. I will definitely let him know what I've been going through and see if he has any suggestions. Alto, I will have to work on being a little more insistent:) :)

• Administrator

He can phone in a prescription to your pharmacy.

He doesn't do that. He has to see you and talk to you. Ive tried doing that when I took the lexapro and he would always make me come in. I know it sucks but he has always been really good about squeezing me in when I need to see him. I will call on Monday but I wont be able to talk to him until later in the night because he works at the hospital during the day and has his office open at night. His receptionist is there at 3 so I will call her and tell her whats going on and she will let him know.

I should have called him sooner but I just figured it would go away. I was being stubborn and trying to do it the hard way. :) lol

• Administrator

Interesting. Is he knowledgeable about tapering?

Yeah I believe so. When he discussed going off the lexapro he told me to cut the 10mg tablet in half and then cut that I. Half and take 2.5 in the morning and 2.5 at night. He did mention something about the liquid too. The thing was is I only had 3 pills left when I started tapering. I just didn't think it was going to be this hard and I just kept telling myself it wouldn't be long before I would feel better. I shoudl have just called him when this all started and it wouldnt have gotten to this point. I know its my fault.

I, like alot of other people figured it was such a low dose that it wouldn't be really bad to get off of.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wendi

There's not one person on this site who hasn't made a mistake. Don't beat yourself up about it. The important thing is to get a strategy from here. Let us know how you go with your Dr

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah I believe so. When he discussed going off the lexapro he told me to cut the 10mg tablet in half and then cut that I. Half and take 2.5 in the morning and 2.5 at night. 

it's better than an avarage psychiatrist but is still very bad ;( Unless he has some other strategy for further down the road when the real trouble starts.

As Dalsaan said, we all reasoned in the same way: I also thought 2.5 mg was such a small dose that I shouldn't notice it. Now I know that the lower doses are the trickiest (and there is even a well-documented and researched reason why this is so here). 

But we just let bygones be bygones and look into how to make things right now that we know what we know. 

• Administrator

Wendi, have you been able to reach your psychiatrist? You might ask for the liquid right off.

Update. .. I will be wearing a heart moniter for 24 hours starting tomorrow and having a mri on the 22nd. Just making sure there is nothing more serious going on.

• Administrator

Palpitations are a recognized withdrawal symptom. Did you get in touch with your psychiatrist?

He wasn't in his office today so I called my gp and got in to see him this afternoon. Palpitations? Would that cause someone to be dizzy? I have felt what I feels like a flutter. Is that the same? I will call my psych doc tomorrow and see if I can get in before my next appointment which is the 29th.

• Administrator

Dizziness is a classic withdrawal symptoms. A flutter sensation around the heart can be palpitations or indigestion.

Thanks alto, I hope that's all it is. Its probably my mind playing tricks on me anyways. My mind has done that alot during this crazy withdrawal! The only thing that seems to help is keeping myself as calm as possible and trying to focus on the good things in life:)

Oh I see my doctor on Monday at 730pm. I will let you know what he says!

Well, I just got done at my phyciatrist and aside from not being very happy about the way I got off the lexapro things went ok. He said he believed it was to late to reinstate the lexapro and that since dizziness was the only symptom that I had he thought I should see the nuerologist on thrusday like I had planned. He said to take a half of the .25mg xanax and see if it went away because if it did then it was definitely anxiety related. I also mentioned the fact that I cry over things that I wouldn't normally cry over and he said that it could possibly be hormonal too. I kinda have to agree with him on that one since I have all 35 symptoms of perimenopause. Fml! I did ask him about reinstating a small dose of lexapro and he said no that it had been to long and the fact that im very pill sensitive it would probably create more problems. So for now we will just see how it goes.