WinningThrough

Partial Recovery Stories?

45 posts in this topic

Hi

Just a thought..there are some partial recovery stories on here and these are great and very uplifting. I love these stories. Recovery doesn't have to be complete. Recovery can be a place that isn't perfect but is better than it was.

I just wondered if anyone had any stories of partial recovery? For example, going from non-functional to functional or from the acute phase to the post acute phase.

It would give a lot of hope for those in the acute phase. I've gone from wanting to be 100% healed to thinking a 50% improvement would be absolutely amazing or moving out of the acute phase would be awesome.

Something to think about.

Thanks.

We have many of those partial recovery stories in the Intro forum. As they're works in progress, the Intro topics gradually evolve.

Withdrawal is so different for different people partly perhaps due to how they got off the drug the dose and how long they have been drugged... so may variables. Some could be well on there way to healing after 6 months while others are just crawling out of bed.  There are too many variables for this to be truly productive reading through the countless threads and finding a situation that sounds like your may seem a good idea but even then you will find our own body make up or other not yet understood variables through theories out the window. I know because I have been reading posts for 6+ years... and that is what I have found.  We are all flying by the seat of our pants here and all hoping. That is about the best I can tell you. 

No offence btdt but I have a more optimistic view that the one you present.  I don't believe I am flying by the seat of my pants.  I make good decisions for myself, despite uncertainty.   I seek advice when I am unsure. I'm prepared to admit when I am wrong,  I read others stories and heed lessons from their experience.   Witnessing others on a path to recovery helps me to maintain hope.

I know I am in a lot better position that others on this site, I am also in a lot better position than when I first got here.  Bit by bit I have created my own recovery-in-progress.  I agree that we should keep these in the intro section but I also think they are of great value.  No-ones story will tell you what to do but it can provide guidance, support and hope.  

Dalsaan

I guess your more of the norm... I wasn't so what appears to be a difference of opinion really isn't it is a difference of experience you withdrawal experience is very different from mine... we agree on keeping this in the intro... for different reasons.  I will say there are many things I have found that have helped me they were not all on withdrawal sites or lets say just one withdrawal site I have looked every place online and in books ect.  I think it is important to keep looking.  Eventually it will all get here.   I agree if you looking for taper advice and are tapering your point is stellar but if your a cold turkey person we don't fit here quite as neatly. 

There are so many issues that differ.. even if your tapering.  Different drugs different health issues specific to each body... different healing rates ... it can be mind boggling.  

No withdrawal

Withdrawal

Tolerance 

Protracted withdrawal 

While there are common threads there are many differences too. The truth is it is asking a lot of any domain to cover all of these issues and is particularly difficult for people in withdrawal to navigate.  I understand wanting to section it to smaller bites. We have to start some place tho and so we do. 

I am partly recovered.  I haven't put my story up because it was so traumatizing to revisit but I am in the process of trying to write it. 

But for those who are in a bad way right now, I managed to recover completely from severe akathisia and partly from memory loss so profound I forgot most of my memories of my own life (my problems were caused by multiple drugs, and withdrawals including a c/t, and several adverse reactions).  And many other problems as well.  A friend of mine also managed an astounding partial recovery after being drugged with almost every psych drug available, given for over a period of almost two decades, and all for a physical problem.  He reacted to pretty well all of those drugs too...His story in some respects is still more amazing than mine as at points he lost his memory so badly if I recall he didn't even know his own name or where he was...And that was a long fall for him as he was a literal genius with an incredible memory.

So do take heart, a lot more is possible than we may believe...

THANK YOU unfoldingsky. You have no idea how much this helps me. Thank you.

No problem Winning Through.  I am hoping you get a big window ASAP.  And I'll work on my story some more, hopefully get it up soon too.

Btdt,

I agree we are speaking from different experiences and that no two are the same. That's why I challenged you generalising from your experience to say that it's futile looking at what has happened to others.

The point is not to search through everyone's thread to find one that matches your situation and to do what they did-that's not what was being suggested and it's never going to be productive. However, learning bits and pieces from the collective experience and wisdom is useful. As is gaining hope from the fact that others have experienced positive change.

Dalsaan

I am partly recovered.  I haven't put my story up because it was so traumatizing to revisit but I am in the process of trying to write it. 

But for those who are in a bad way right now, I managed to recover completely from severe akathisia and partly from memory loss so profound I forgot most of my memories of my own life (my problems were caused by multiple drugs, and withdrawals including a c/t, and several adverse reactions).  And many other problems as well.  A friend of mine also managed an astounding partial recovery after being drugged with almost every psych drug available, given for over a period of almost two decades, and all for a physical problem.  He reacted to pretty well all of those drugs too...His story in some respects is still more amazing than mine as at points he lost his memory so badly if I recall he didn't even know his own name or where he was...And that was a long fall for him as he was a literal genius with an incredible memory.

Thank you for posting this is much like my story.  I wonder is the friend you speak of on here if not maybe he would like to be... I bet you have suggested it already I for one would like to hear his story.

peace to you...

Here's a partial success story in this topic: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3078-rhi-incremental-success/

I've found that even after posting my success story, there's is still some recovery to go.  I didn't think that when I wrote it, but I'm realizing from time to time that I still have some withdrawal symptoms such as sleeplessness and anhedonia, but they are mild and fading away. I'm also finding that I'm needing much less medication to sleep, I'm getting up earlier, I have less physical pain and stiffness, and there are occasional moments of feeling utterly content like I used to experience on weekends when I was away from my utterly frustrating and stressful job. I'm able to keep busy nearly all of the time instead of having long stretches of boredom and consequent mild depression and fatigue. Today I was amazed that I was able to do gardening for about two hours, most of it on my knees, without having pain or exhaustion. I have been doing exercises for osteoporosis and following the alkaline-acid balanced diet, and I think both are helping now, but they might not have during earlier withdrawal.  More likely I never would have started either or stuck to them if I did.

Life just keeps getting better.

Thank you for posting this is much like my story.  I wonder is the friend you speak of on here if not maybe he would like to be... I bet you have suggested it already I for one would like to hear his story.

peace to you...

No, he's not on here.  Unfortunately we lost touch because of a rather trying circumstance.  I can post some of his story though but I will have to dig it up, he gave me permission to write about it before we lost contact.

Jemima, thank you for posting, it's wonderful to know things can still improve. 

Dear Unfoldingsky

I am interested in your story, as i am now 21 months free and still in severe hell. I have severe DR/DP, Memory problems are very severe, i feel confused and dizzy, i dont really konw whats happening around me if you know what i mean.

I c/t from 4 years paxil and when trying to reinstate a different drug, had a severe adverse reaction.

Im looking for hope. Is 21 months too early? No improvements. Really if the DR/DP would just improve i would be happy. I am worried and scared to death.

No offence btdt but I have a more optimistic view that the one you present.  I don't believe I am flying by the seat of my pants.  I make good decisions for myself, despite uncertainty.   I seek advice when I am unsure. I'm prepared to admit when I am wrong,  I read others stories and heed lessons from their experience.   Witnessing others on a path to recovery helps me to maintain hope.

I know I am in a lot better position that others on this site, I am also in a lot better position than when I first got here.  Bit by bit I have created my own recovery-in-progress.  I agree that we should keep these in the intro section but I also think they are of great value.  No-ones story will tell you what to do but it can provide guidance, support and hope.  

Dalsaan

I did not think my view was presented as having no optimism... I was saying you can't count on your withdrawal to be exactly like anyone else we have agreed and at the same time you feel you have to take a poke at me I am maybe taking this personally ...

I find it happens to me a  lot on this website and maybe it is time I started my own for that very reason.... bit tiring being a target.  it gets old fast

That is how I am feeling here lately...like a target.  I know you will not miss me when I am gone.

Dear Unfoldingsky

I am interested in your story, as i am now 21 months free and still in severe hell. I have severe DR/DP, Memory problems are very severe, i feel confused and dizzy, i dont really konw whats happening around me if you know what i mean.

I c/t from 4 years paxil and when trying to reinstate a different drug, had a severe adverse reaction.

Im looking for hope. Is 21 months too early? No improvements. Really if the DR/DP would just improve i would be happy. I am worried and scared to death.

OliviaS,

Sorry you are still doing so badly that far out.  I had a very hard time for the first three years after a series of drug reactions and c/t, and yes had DP/DR for those years that was severe along with many other severe problems too (memory loss was really bad.)  I basically felt like I was out of my body for three years and felt like the world was not quite real.

I don't know if this is your situation but I also would have only about one or two windows a year, for some reason in the winter.  Initially after the first (mildish) drug reaction I had the usual windows and waves pattern (I took one dose of a drug that I had a mild reaction to, stopped it, then had some withdrawal) but as time wore on and I was put back on drugs and then taken off, the situation got much more complicated, eventually leading to the three year period with almost no windows, where it was honestly all I could do to just get through each day.

So things can turn around even if it has been a long time and even if it is severe.  I now no longer have DP/DR, I have back many memories of my past, I have better recall of recently formed memories, no akathisia to speak of, etc..

And also things could change for you even more quickly than they did me since I was put on more drugs than you and had issues with most of them.

Keep the faith things will turn around. 

Best wishes,

Unfolding Sky

UnfoldingSky

Thank you very much for this. I really needed the hope and encouragement. I have only experienced one window, that was more than a year ago. I am really really hoping and praying that the DR/DP will lessen and go away. II have it very severely and like you, my memories are mostly gone.

I am very happy to hear that you are doing much better and that the DR/DP went away. If i may ask, was there anything specific you did to aid in your recovery? Diet, meditation etc?

I have severe dizziness too that i hope will go away aswell. My list of symptoms is enormous, but these few things are the most bothersome. If they would just go away i wouldnt mind the others, really. I dont have akathisia, but i have inner restlessness that comes and goes.

Dear Unfoldingsky

OliviaS,

Sorry you are still doing so badly that far out.  I had a very hard time for the first three years after a series of drug reactions and c/t, and yes had DP/DR for those years that was severe along with many other severe problems too (memory loss was really bad.)  I basically felt like I was out of my body for three years and felt like the world was not quite real.

I don't know if this is your situation but I also would have only about one or two windows a year, for some reason in the winter.  Initially after the first (mildish) drug reaction I had the usual windows and waves pattern (I took one dose of a drug that I had a mild reaction to, stopped it, then had some withdrawal) but as time wore on and I was put back on drugs and then taken off, the situation got much more complicated, eventually leading to the three year period with almost no windows, where it was honestly all I could do to just get through each day.

So things can turn around even if it has been a long time and even if it is severe.  I now no longer have DP/DR, I have back many memories of my past, I have better recall of recently formed memories, no akathisia to speak of, etc..

And also things could change for you even more quickly than they did me since I was put on more drugs than you and had issues with most of them.

Keep the faith things will turn around. 

Best wishes,

Unfolding Sky

Thank you very much for this. I really needed the hope and encouragement. I have only experienced one window, that was more than a year ago. I am really really hoping and praying that the DR/DP will lessen and go away. II have it very severely and like you, my memories are mostly gone.

I am very happy to hear that you are doing much better and that the DR/DP went away. If i may ask, was there anything specific you did to aid in your recovery? Diet, meditation etc?

I have severe dizziness too that i hope will go away aswell. My list of symptoms is enormous, but these few things are the most bothersome. If they would just go away i wouldnt mind the others, really. I dont have akathisia, but i have inner restlessness that comes and goes.

What is DR?DP?

Withdrawal is so different for different people partly perhaps due to how they got off the drug the dose and how long they have been drugged... so may variables. Some could be well on there way to healing after 6 months while others are just crawling out of bed.  There are too many variables for this to be truly productive reading through the countless threads and finding a situation that sounds like your may seem a good idea but even then you will find our own body make up or other not yet understood variables through theories out the window. I know because I have been reading posts for 6+ years... and that is what I have found.  We are all flying by the seat of our pants here and all hoping. That is about the best I can tell you. 

This is true, what you're saying. However, reading through dozens of profiles over the years, has informed me about what can happen during withdrawal. This has been important in recognizing the symptoms, physical or mental, as being DUE TO withdrawal, as opposed to, say, a permanent change in my personality, for whatever ungodly reason.   Knowing that what I am experiencing, may or may not be a symptom of withdrawal tells me that "it too shall pass".  Reading about Olivia's experience, makes me feel grateful that my experience hasn't been that bad. But it also makes me feel scared about what will happen when my taper is over.  I am optimistic however.  I'm grateful that despite the brain fog, lethargy, and fatigue, my memory has remained impeccable.   One thing we all are doing on here, is exercising our brains and our memories by reading and learning so much scientific information and employing critical thinking. 

I had a really hard time when I got to 1 mg of my medication.  It was a very long and nasty wave.  I came very close to trying yet another antidepressant.   Y'all talked me out of it.   And then, a window opened up.  And I was like, "Oooh, THAT's what they're talking about."  It seemed like I had to cross a very long threshold.  In the past however, I would think that "ok, i'm healed now. It's over."   But now that I know about the up and down nature of withdrawal, I am aware that I may have another wave.  I am also aware that emotionally stressful situations can bring on a wave, and that I have to do my best to avoid them.

I guess this kind of living forces you to live "in the now", appreciate more and take advantage of your good days. And take better care of yourself on your bad days.    There's gotta be a reason why so many of us are on this long and difficult journey.  I just wish that people could learn from each other's experience.  I wish that my experience could have stopped others from taking these drugs.  But, so far it hasn't.  In today's fast moving society, people prefer to pop a quick pill, rather than cultivate the skills necessary to manage whatever mental dis-ease ails them.

Of course, as I have learned from this site, many of you wound up on psychotropic drugs for NON-Mental reasons.  And that's just  unfortunate that psychotropic drugs have so many off-label uses, and doctors prescribe them without letting patients know what may happen to them.  I have made it my policy NOT TO fill any drug without thoroughly researching it, and checking if it can exacerbate my other health issues.

Anyway, this topic is about hope, without which we can't live without. So I'm happy to report for the moment that I have gone down to .5 mg/ml in my taper, and am feeling reasonably good.  Better than I have felt when I was in the 1.5 - .7 range.  We'll see what happens next.  One thing for sure, I just have to keep going, and believe that there's light at the end of the tunnel.  

Peace.

Memory problems are very severe, i feel confused and dizzy, i dont really konw whats happening around me if you know what i mean.

Olivia, have you heard of a supplement called Phosphotidyl serine?  It is recommended for memory and brain fog.  I found out about it by reading a review posted by a woman on vitacost.com where I was buying vitamins.  In turn, she said that she found out about it from Dr. Amen (who frequently appears on PBS (public television).

Here's some info:

Phosphatidyl choline – Helps increase levels of the neurotransmitter

acetylcholine, which is associated with brain speed and short-term memory function.

Appears to prevent further deterioration of mental function in Alzheimer’s patients.

Phosphatidyl serine (PS) – Occuring naturally in the brain, PS

supplement may reverse about 12 years of memory decline. PS is intricately

involved in the strength, permeability, elasticity and maintenance of the

structural integrity of all cell membranes, especially those of the brain.

Ginkgo biloba – May lessen age-associated memory impairment

(AAMI) and improve some mental functions in those afflicted with AAMI.

from: http://www.newyou.com/the-source/features/memory-lift/

Derealization and depersonalization

What is DR?DP?

Hello

I am partially recovering and it is not an easy rd but worth it

I also attend al anon and acoa. It has helped me with all aspects of recovery - which includes the reasons I was medicated for but never knew why I had horrid depression.

Now I know. I use the steps as an assist during  mindful, watchful taper. I am now facing my issues a bit at  time by working a 12 step prog and being gentle w myself. I also accept rolling through the difficult days and accepting them as they come rather than reacting to them.

Best wishes

Memory problems are very severe, i feel confused and dizzy, i dont really konw whats happening around me if you know what i mean.

Olivia, have you heard of a supplement called Phosphotidyl serine?  It is recommended for memory and brain fog.  I found out about it by reading a review posted by a woman on vitacost.com where I was buying vitamins.  In turn, she said that she found out about it from Dr. Amen (who frequently appears on PBS (public television).

Here's some info:

Phosphatidyl choline – Helps increase levels of the neurotransmitter

acetylcholine, which is associated with brain speed and short-term memory function.

Appears to prevent further deterioration of mental function in Alzheimer’s patients.

Phosphatidyl serine (PS) – Occuring naturally in the brain, PS

supplement may reverse about 12 years of memory decline. PS is intricately

involved in the strength, permeability, elasticity and maintenance of the

structural integrity of all cell membranes, especially those of the brain.

Ginkgo biloba – May lessen age-associated memory impairment

(AAMI) and improve some mental functions in those afflicted with AAMI.

from: http://www.newyou.com/the-source/features/memory-lift/

I think Alto tried that one if you search on here you may see her take on it. 

peace

An update - I am now at -48 beads of effexor. 6 wks later than my post up there ^

Was able to slow down the taper as I finally was accepted for coverage in hardship. 

I am doing ok. Some days are tough. But that is more than likely due to my living situation etc. 

No severe brain zaps. When on paxil I was suicidal more often than not. Started happening with effexor. I can attest that it is very different now. I do not think about suicide near as much as when I was on full strength. Sad to actually read that part in print. If nothing else, it serves as a warning re what this med did to me.

Thinking is pretty clear though I do not have the sensation of - - increased blood pressure to my head. Cannot describe. Some of my memory is foggy.

I am optimistic and hope all of you are still holding down the fort

Still going well - love to all

I'm also partially recovered - 65 to 70% if I had to quantify it. I am 19.5 months off ssri, snri and a tricyclic antidepressant I'd taken for over a decade. I cold turkeyed them all at once, simultaneously. Probably not the best action to take but I did. The first year was met with psychotic depression, Dr/dp , extreme muscle rigidity, hypersensitivity to noise/light, severe paranoid ideations, hallucinations, mainly aural. Couldn't work, could barely feed myself. I became an illiterate mute.

Today I'm back at work, able to read and digest nyt articles to legal material for work. My symptoms have broken up to where I am now experiencing moderate waves of depression that are shorter in length and lighter in severity at each successive session and my cognitive distortions are likewise receding into the background and becoming tolerably dissipating noise .

I hope we all heal as pain-free as possible.

Peace and love.

Encouraging Gemini and good for you!! :)

These hopeful threads have been really important for me. Thanks to those of you who don't "disappear" completely into your recovered or partially recovered life, and come back at least periodically to share and update us on your stories of courage. To me, on really rough days like today, it feels like people throwing out lifelines to me. I appreciate it so much, and hope that I will be in a position to do the same for others someday. Much gratitude!

There are many videos in the site I linked about getting better after quitting psych meds. Especially this video below is powerful.

This old lady has survived after 60 times of electroshock therapy and massive drugging. She has lost many memories due to electroshocks but has gotten the ability to enjoy life back. She says she loves her children and her grandchildren and she loves life. :) 

http://igotbetter.org/videos/lwilson

I'm also partially recovered - 65 to 70% if I had to quantify it. I am 19.5 months off ssri, snri and a tricyclic antidepressant I'd taken for over a decade. I cold turkeyed them all at once, simultaneously. Probably not the best action to take but I did. The first year was met with psychotic depression, Dr/dp , extreme muscle rigidity, hypersensitivity to noise/light, severe paranoid ideations, hallucinations, mainly aural. Couldn't work, could barely feed myself. I became an illiterate mute.

Today I'm back at work, able to read and digest nyt articles to legal material for work. My symptoms have broken up to where I am now experiencing moderate waves of depression that are shorter in length and lighter in severity at each successive session and my cognitive distortions are likewise receding into the background and becoming tolerably dissipating noise .

I hope we all heal as pain-free as possible.

Peace and love.

Gemini,

Can you confirm if you are still taking latuda .

Reachingforthestars.   Thank you for the video above. It is quite powerful in it's own way. What struck me the most was that she was loving life despite her drugging / multiple diagnoses and even though there were " holes" in her memory, she felt lucky to be alive. It says a lot for the human spirit and I particularly loved it when she talked about the color coming back into her life again. It's definitely a story of hope and survival against all odds.

Additionally, I feel like I am a partial recovery story. I have been feeling relatively symptom free after 2 yrs 4 months C/T . I was on and off antidepressants for close to 20 years. I had many cold turkeys and drug changes during that time. Without knowing what was happening I always went back on the A/D's with the mistaken belief that it was my " original condition" returning. Obviously, this was the story spun by the doctors and I believed them. I previously thought I had to be on the medication for the rest of my life.

After my last C/T and  finding this site, I stuck it out through the withdrawal and I am now starting to experience life on the other side. A drug free life. 

It is starting to feel great . :)

In time, I'm hoping to write a success story .

Don't ever give up hope. Healing happens.

You are a success and inspiration to me Ali!

Thank you Hibari.  :)  I think you have done exceptionally well yourself . I'm sure your patience will pay off in time.

AliG

I am so happy for you... You re an inspiration for the perseverance. Hope the good times ahead of you will pay off milion times for the bad time which is already behind you. I will pray for your happiness from now on. May God bless you with happy moments now that you seem to have already pass the most important test of your life.

GOOD LUCK and WAITING FOR YOUR SUCCESS STORY.