SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred/dimmed vision, twitching, dry eyes and pain

Maybe

Question is does it ever go away or is this something that sticks forever

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

This is a description of what i have:

Blurred vision that doesn’t seem to be picked up in a standard eye test, Difficulty recognizing people at a distance or reading signs/posters, Reduced vision in low lighting, Bright lights remaining as after-images for much longer than normal, When I look at a plain background – say a wall – in low light it can seem to show a speckled haze or visual snow or graininess (This is a huge problem for me), Heat Wave vision, Millions of eye floaters, Jumpy vision, Painful eyes, Very high pressure readings, Colours are a lot brighter than they should be

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• 2 weeks later...

Eye pain has been the most disabling feature of this entire withdrawal experience for me.  I absolutely detest the problems that I have with my eyes.  I wish it would get better quicker.

I don't get the eye pain but eye pressure.  WD has made my head tension at times significantly worse than I've experienced  aswell. I was prone to tension headaches but never this strong 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

I have eye pain too but it's there only in the mornings when i wake up and then goes away for the day. The pain is behind my eyes and some times when i bend my head down i can feel the pain or pressure there e.g. when i pick things up off the floor. The eye pain started when i updosed from 4mg to 5mg and has been alleviating since i reduced back to 4mg. I have read that there are a lot of melatonin receptors in the back of human eyes and that melatonin biosynthesis in humans involves four enzymatic steps from the essential dietary amino acid tryptophan, which follows a serotonin pathway. So they are pretty similar. The night when the eye pain started i also had insomnia for the first time.

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

Could this be withdrawal, I'm going to have my  eyes looked at, but its been a week now, and i seem to have a burning in my eyes, only when i look at my computer and my iphone,  If it started while i looked at my laptop or phone for 30 minutes or  an hour i'd get whats wrong but it starts immediately when i look at it,  or at my phone, could this be a withdrawal symptom, i've had my mom look at my eyes, she didn't notice anything odd or red,  So i'm going to my eye doctor as soon as i can, but have any of you guys had this in withdrawal

• Moderator Emeritus

Not burning, but my eyes are way way more sensitive since being in w/d.  Especially with tv/computer screens. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

It could be a part of your withdrawal. I had a similar issue when at work. I was squinting a lot and seeing "floaters" and having really bad jaw clinching and burning in my eyes. My vision was pretty blurry too after staring at the computer screen all day. I also get headaches and neck tension really bad, so thought it could be a vision issue. I went to have an eye test and it showed that I did need glasses when on the computer. I also use them to look at my phone most of the time. Before the withdrawals, I've never had vision problems or the burning...let alone any health issues. So I'm pretty sure mine were caused from the withdrawals. The glasses have helped though with all those issues I was having. 

And like KarenB, my eyes are just very sensitive now too...especially earlier in to the W/Ds.

Started Lexapro (escitalopram) 10mg in 2009 for general depression/mild anxiety.

Stopped taking Lexapro in August of 2013 cold turkey.

Started having vertigo/dizziness in late January of 2014. Symptoms became worse over a few months. 

Re-instated Lexapro 10mg in June of 2014. Could only handle for a week before dropping down to 5mg.

Stopped taking Lexapro in March of 2015 and began taking Celexa 10mg.

Also taking topamax 25mg for headaches/migraines and losartan 25mg for high blood pressure.

My visual symptoms started while on Lexapro and has been the most consistent and troublesome.

While on lexapro I have developed tonn of floaters and my vision being weird. It is not double vision, it is not blurry vision. My eyes are absolutely fine(had them checked out), I can see very well.

But it feels like as though my visual processing is slow, like playing a video game on a delay. Combined with brain fog and I feel brain damaged. I feel like I am drunk all the time.

When I dropped 10mg to 5mg lexapro(last year) it went away but it came back a few months later and haven't let up since. I do have days or part days where it substantially or somewhat eases but never 100%, when that happens it truly feels like a miracle but sadly it doesn't happen consistently or very often but it does happen. I have a little bit of grainy, snowy type of effect when I look at white wall or the sky.

This symptom has affected me immensely, truly believe in my heart that it is lexapro but in my head I don't know what to believe. Driving a car is hard, I have to be very careful but I have done this for a very long time....

10/2012 - Lexapro 10mg

2013/2014 - Started experiencing visual disturbances, like visual processing was slow, feeling drunk all the time

9/2014 - Lexapro 5mg, didn't notice any withdrawal, drunk feeling went away

2015 - Drunk feeling came back

5/2015 - Lexapro 2.5mg - 1.25mg - insomnia started

6/2015 - Lexapro 0.625mg

7/2015 - Severe symptoms started, in desperation on advice of pdoc restarted 5mg Lexapro - total disaster

8/2015 - Lexapro 5mg, disoriented, sleepless zombie

9/2015 - Very reluctantly started transitioning to Zoloft

as of 10/10/2105 - no lexapro, 37.5mg Zoloft

12/14/2015 - 35mg zoloft, 1/16/2016 - 34mg

• 2 weeks later...

How many of you developed floaters while being on SSRI withdrawal? I'm on withdrawal from more than 3 years, and I have some eye floaters. They're not too big, I can see clearly but they're very annoying and they distract me a lot. I think that it was related to SSRI withdrawal. 

On Cypralex from June 2012 to October 2012, then I quit almost cold turkey.

First symptoms: dizziness, brain zaps, sever mental confusion. After almost a year my condition was acceptable but I still had symptoms.

Having mild symptoms until now (intermittent confusion and sleep disorders).

My favorite citation: «There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy» ~ Friedrich Nietzsche 

As far as I know everybody has eye floaters. I've had them since I was a kid. They're just there. It's when they become distracting or you're getting "flashing" that it becomes a problem. I am going through SNRI withdrawal but I haven't noticed an increase personally.

2001 september - Effexor XR 75 mg, Seroquel 250 mg
2001 november - Effexor XR 150 mg
2003 - Replaced Seroquel with 20 mg Nozinan
2005 - Discontinued anti-psycotic medications for good
2009 january - Started having panic attacks
2009 - split 150 mg Effexor XR into 75 mg twice daily
2010 - Occasionally Clonazapam and Adivan for panic attacks
2012 - Realization that Effexor no longer works, and may even be having adverse reactions to it.
2012 October 18 - Begin slow taper (1 bead removed from each morning and evening 75mg capsule), February 18, 2013 - 140 beads per pill (X2 per day) (About 65%), 2013 November 16 - 70 beads per pill (X2 per day) (32.5%), 2014 September - 27 beads per pill (X2 per day) (12.5%) November 2 2015 - 1 bead per day (0.23% of original dose) and SLOWLY spacing doses out 25 hours, then 26, 28, currently 29hrs
November 2014 at 200mg Welbutrin

February 21st, 2016 - Last dose of Effexor forever

Monday, March 7, 2016 - Started decreasing Wellbutrin, currently at >25mg once a day

I had them in my early days of taking lexapro. I was on and off the drug frequently those years and had floaters couple times then, must be when I stopped short term. They never came back since I stayed on the drug continuously and even during my taper.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

I have developed floaters while on Lexapro.

I know everyone has floaters but their number has dramatically increased in a very short time

10/2012 - Lexapro 10mg

2013/2014 - Started experiencing visual disturbances, like visual processing was slow, feeling drunk all the time

9/2014 - Lexapro 5mg, didn't notice any withdrawal, drunk feeling went away

2015 - Drunk feeling came back

5/2015 - Lexapro 2.5mg - 1.25mg - insomnia started

6/2015 - Lexapro 0.625mg

7/2015 - Severe symptoms started, in desperation on advice of pdoc restarted 5mg Lexapro - total disaster

8/2015 - Lexapro 5mg, disoriented, sleepless zombie

9/2015 - Very reluctantly started transitioning to Zoloft

as of 10/10/2105 - no lexapro, 37.5mg Zoloft

12/14/2015 - 35mg zoloft, 1/16/2016 - 34mg

I currently have one it appeared when I started tapering off Pristiq three weeks ago. Hopefully it will go away in the near future as it can be annoying

Antidepressants for 14 years, Zoloft cymbalta, lexapro now pristiq for the past 3 months. All have given me different side effects therefore Fedup and currently in a good space to start tapering

This is a common occurrence with people who have taken SSRIs/SNRIs and got off them quickly.  Prior to taking Paxil I had perfect vision, 20/15 no noticeable eye floaters.  Fast forward to today, a year after coming off Paxil and I have developed a light sensitivity, tens if not hundreds of floaters, a couple black splotches,  and am having difficulty focusing. Buried somewhere in SA's forums is a link to a university that has done research on drug toxicity and damage to the eye. 

For those who say or claim floaters "disappear"  that's physically impossible.  You may notice them less as you get used to them, but they don't disappear.  I'm of the thinking that it's mild retinal damage due to drug toxicity.  

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

This is a common occurrence with people who have taken SSRIs/SNRIs and got off them quickly.  Prior to taking Paxil I had perfect vision, 20/15 no noticeable eye floaters.  Fast forward to today, a year after coming off Paxil and I have developed a light sensitivity, tens if not hundreds of floaters, a couple black splotches,  and am having difficulty focusing. Buried somewhere in SA's forums is a link to a university that has done research on drug toxicity and damage to the eye. 

For those who say or claim floaters "disappear"  that's physically impossible.  You may notice them less as you get used to them, but they don't disappear.  I'm of the thinking that it's mild retinal damage due to drug toxicity.  

It's caused by oxidation. I've found a medicine that is able to prevent eye floaters. It's called vitreoxigen in Europe, and it contains potassium, magnesium, carnitine, B2, B1, B6 and B12 vitamin, arginine and many other substances. So it probably means that SSRIs causes a deficit of some of these substances. 

On Cypralex from June 2012 to October 2012, then I quit almost cold turkey.

First symptoms: dizziness, brain zaps, sever mental confusion. After almost a year my condition was acceptable but I still had symptoms.

Having mild symptoms until now (intermittent confusion and sleep disorders).

My favorite citation: «There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy» ~ Friedrich Nietzsche 

• 3 months later...

I've read about people having vision troubles and eye floaters in WD.  I have noticed more floaters since last week, and wondering if this is something I should check out or if it's just par for the course in terms of WD.  Has anyone else here dealt with floaters and did they eventually subside? 

Seems every other week a new WD symptom pops up for me (almost 6 months off of Paxil soon).

Thanks

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

At about month 8 I had a sudden increase in floaters and blurred vision that has not subsided, but has stabilized.  I also became very sensitive to light and computer/tv screens.  I've managed to mitigate the effects with a pair of prescription computer glasses that have a small correction and have and anti-glare coating.   

Year 0:      Social anxiety, obsessive thoughts, NO depression, NO suicidal ideations

Years 1-2: Ativan (benzo) <1mg as needed, not abused but developed physical dependence

Years 2-3: Paxil (20mg) augmented with Adderall XR (10-20mg) due to withdrawal from Ativan

Years 3-Present: Severe depression, headaches, psychiatric hospitalization, lost job, etc.

Yes. Lots of vision and eye floater troubles. Never had before withdrawal.

9/2006 Began Lexapro

1/2014 Began taper from 15mg 

Cut dose by 2.5 mg every two weeks or until stabilized 

5/25/2014 Last dose 

Experienced: Anxiety/depression, intrusive thoughts, dizziness, de-personalization, mood swings, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, gastro upset, anger, many spells of brain fog, chills, water retention, hypoglycemia, heart palpitations, weight gain, light headedness, muscle constriction - jaw, chest, neck, cortisol surges waking me several times at night with heart racing, blurry eyesight / visual snow, neuropathic pain, burning/numbness in hands and feet, muscle twitching, light sensitivity, sinuses, temperature disregulation, ear zaps, FEAR, hopelessness, doom and gloom, muscle spasms and tension across whole body, low energy, apathy, depression, constant post nasal drip, ear pain, jaw pain and cracking, tooth pain, burning/tingling/numbing, right rib cage pain FOREVER, lymph congestion, hypersensitivity to many foods and many supplements, bladder/ urination issues, creaky bones, sallow, yellow skin on hands/feet, emotional dysregulation, back pain, vivid dreams, mucus, peeling lips.

What's left: Low energy some days, muscle pain, hormone imbalance, GI stuff here and there, eye floaters, peeling, red lips.

Yes. Mine started at about a month off and has gradually gotten worse now at a year. There was a short period of time where it seemed stable.

In my case it could just be the current wave that has made it worse. I went to see a specialist about it a few months back, he said they would go away eventually. I am still waiting.

October 2011 - Given sertraline 50mg for dizziness. 

Not informed that this was an antidepressant. Stopped after 2-3 weeks as it was not helping with dizzy spells.

March 2012 - Given escitalopram 10mg 

October 2012 - Became aware of what I had been prescribed. Started slow taper.

April 2015 - Last dose escitalopram 0.19ml liquid.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think the floaters were always there. It's just that we are super-sensitive in withdrawal and notice them more.

I definitely remember having floaters as a child, I called them eye worms.

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

My strong belief is that when we're in withdrawal we notice them more, just like Dan998 and a few others said.

When you really look into what floaters actually are, they are in fact always there.

But when our systems are in a sensitive state, things like floaters become front and center for some reason.

2001 september - Effexor XR 75 mg, Seroquel 250 mg
2001 november - Effexor XR 150 mg
2003 - Replaced Seroquel with 20 mg Nozinan
2005 - Discontinued anti-psycotic medications for good
2009 january - Started having panic attacks
2009 - split 150 mg Effexor XR into 75 mg twice daily
2010 - Occasionally Clonazapam and Adivan for panic attacks
2012 - Realization that Effexor no longer works, and may even be having adverse reactions to it.
2012 October 18 - Begin slow taper (1 bead removed from each morning and evening 75mg capsule), February 18, 2013 - 140 beads per pill (X2 per day) (About 65%), 2013 November 16 - 70 beads per pill (X2 per day) (32.5%), 2014 September - 27 beads per pill (X2 per day) (12.5%) November 2 2015 - 1 bead per day (0.23% of original dose) and SLOWLY spacing doses out 25 hours, then 26, 28, currently 29hrs
November 2014 at 200mg Welbutrin

February 21st, 2016 - Last dose of Effexor forever

Monday, March 7, 2016 - Started decreasing Wellbutrin, currently at >25mg once a day

Today I experienced a new bizzare wd symptom which was having a purplish eyesight for some time throughout the day. It was quite terryfying to say the least I felt very out of it and felt like I was loosing it. I hope this will pass soon and it was because of the bad wave that I am in.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have had blurry vision and sometimes even complete tunnel vision over the course of many months since I've withdrawan from a few different medications. The blurry/tunnel vision seems to be tied to my total sleep time from the previous night. The fewer hours I sleep, the worse the tunnel/blurry vision is. Is this a symptom of sleep deprivation or withdrawal? I've also become dizzy every time I stand up. Has anyone else experienced these things?

Hey Irving!  I'm sorry you're going through this.  I don't really have any advice, but I know relating can help to show that your symptoms, although harsh and scary at times, are not unique and therefore most likely induced by withdrawal and/or sleep problems.

I started having strained/blurry vision shortly after starting taking Lexapro, and it seems to have worsened after stopping CT.  It has even gotten to points where I feel pressure behind my eyes, and my left eye hurts slightly when I move it far in any direction.  I have expressed this and a some people came up to let me know it's very common in AD WD, so I hope that can cull some of your worry.  Keep in mind also that it's allergy season in the USA- and even if you don't have serious allergies, pollen levels can still cause pressures and distress in your sinus/eyes/ears.  WD can cause anxiety and make us hyperaware of how our bodies are feeling, so we may become more sensitive to things that have never bothered us before.

I've recently gone from having the "I can't get to sleep" version of insomnia to the "I can't STAY asleep" version, and my eye problems and dizziness have also become severe at the same time.  Lack of good sleep, especially in close proximity between instances, is so exhausting on the body and brain.  I was scared by my new symptoms because they went from being sporadic to being every day after my sleep went south.  I had a dizzy spell that lasted 8 days before it let up, and my eyes are still bothering me.  I went to a neurologist recently for other concerns, but I mentioned my eyes and the vision distortions and pressure.  He took a non-invasive look and deciphered that there was no extraordinary pressure in my eyeball, and that my visual coordination reactions were fine.  I plan on having an eye doc of some sort look at my eyes soon (because I am due for new specs) but having even a quick look by a skilled doctor was enough to take the immediate worry away from the possibility that my eyes were damaged or degenerating.

The dizziness has since largely subsided, and I finally slept a full night last night for the first time this week.  Here is my advice to you:

I personally know that worry is impossible to avoid (I suffered panic disorder and anxiety prior to taking AD meds and coming off them), but let it lead you to answers.  Go to a doctor if you haven't already and tell them in detail what you're feeling.  Get a good feel for whether or not the doc is being thorough, and trust their opinion.  If you feel something was missed/not properly addressed, go for a follow up or a different doctor for their opinion.  This will give you the ultimate peace of mind.  If something must be addressed, guess what?  You just got yourself on the path to addressing it.  Likely, everything will come up fine and you'll be able to calmly give your body and brain time to readjust.  When you are dealing with discomfort and distortions, waiting can be hard enough by itself- but waiting with questions and worries that aren't yet answered can cause havoc on your stress levels, which are no doubt already at their limit from WD.

Once you can clear your plate, you can concentrate on stabilizing your sleep habits.  I unfortunately have no advice for this, because I'm currently going through sleep issues and the solution will probably be very different for every person who goes through it.  Take a look around the forum and look for suggestions.  There are many people here who have been through the paces and likely have methods that you can try. 

Good luck and feel better.  Feel free to post any changes/updates or concerns and we'll keep the convo going.

Initial Diagnosis of Panic Disorder and resulting general anxiety in August 2013, resultant of an initial panic attack induced after a glass of wine and a small dose of cocaine.

Buspirone 10mg: September 2013 - October 2013

Sertraline 50mg: December 2015 - December 2015 (Stopped after 4 days!)

Escitalopram 10mg: December 2015 - March 2016

Prozac 10mg: March 2016 - April 2016, stopped C/T at psychiatrist's advice.

Medicine free ever since.

Hey Irving!  I'm sorry you're going through this.  I don't really have any advice, but I know relating can help to show that your symptoms, although harsh and scary at times, are not unique and therefore most likely induced by withdrawal and/or sleep problems.

I started having strained/blurry vision shortly after starting taking Lexapro, and it seems to have worsened after stopping CT.  It has even gotten to points where I feel pressure behind my eyes, and my left eye hurts slightly when I move it far in any direction.  I have expressed this and a some people came up to let me know it's very common in AD WD, so I hope that can cull some of your worry.  Keep in mind also that it's allergy season in the USA- and even if you don't have serious allergies, pollen levels can still cause pressures and distress in your sinus/eyes/ears.  WD can cause anxiety and make us hyperaware of how our bodies are feeling, so we may become more sensitive to things that have never bothered us before.

I've recently gone from having the "I can't get to sleep" version of insomnia to the "I can't STAY asleep" version, and my eye problems and dizziness have also become severe at the same time.  Lack of good sleep, especially in close proximity between instances, is so exhausting on the body and brain.  I was scared by my new symptoms because they went from being sporadic to being every day after my sleep went south.  I had a dizzy spell that lasted 8 days before it let up, and my eyes are still bothering me.  I went to a neurologist recently for other concerns, but I mentioned my eyes and the vision distortions and pressure.  He took a non-invasive look and deciphered that there was no extraordinary pressure in my eyeball, and that my visual coordination reactions were fine.  I plan on having an eye doc of some sort look at my eyes soon (because I am due for new specs) but having even a quick look by a skilled doctor was enough to take the immediate worry away from the possibility that my eyes were damaged or degenerating.

The dizziness has since largely subsided, and I finally slept a full night last night for the first time this week.  Here is my advice to you:

I personally know that worry is impossible to avoid (I suffered panic disorder and anxiety prior to taking AD meds and coming off them), but let it lead you to answers.  Go to a doctor if you haven't already and tell them in detail what you're feeling.  Get a good feel for whether or not the doc is being thorough, and trust their opinion.  If you feel something was missed/not properly addressed, go for a follow up or a different doctor for their opinion.  This will give you the ultimate peace of mind.  If something must be addressed, guess what?  You just got yourself on the path to addressing it.  Likely, everything will come up fine and you'll be able to calmly give your body and brain time to readjust.  When you are dealing with discomfort and distortions, waiting can be hard enough by itself- but waiting with questions and worries that aren't yet answered can cause havoc on your stress levels, which are no doubt already at their limit from WD.

Once you can clear your plate, you can concentrate on stabilizing your sleep habits.  I unfortunately have no advice for this, because I'm currently going through sleep issues and the solution will probably be very different for every person who goes through it.  Take a look around the forum and look for suggestions.  There are many people here who have been through the paces and likely have methods that you can try. 

Good luck and feel better.  Feel free to post any changes/updates or concerns and we'll keep the convo going.

Hi, thanks so much for the advice. It's good to know that others have had similar symptoms. I also have the same type of insomnia. It's refered to as "sleep maintenance insomnia" by doctors. It's the worst. I'd much rather have trouble falling asleep than sleeping for an adequate amount of time. The effects of sleep deprivation are unbearable. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having visual problems since tapering off Celexa. I was on Celexa for about 8 yrs and it's been 3 months since I tapered off completely. My eyes don't seem to focus well...kind of pulling all the time. Will anything help this? Do allergy pills or decongestants or gravel..anything...help this?

• 2 months later...

When I first taper I have little white spots in my vision, can hardly see through them, and sensitive to light. Now about two weeks later my vision is blurry to the point of seeing double. It's time for my annual eye exam but I'm not going until the withdrawals let up. I'm in day 28 of my taper and I don't see an improvement.

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

Blurred vision that doesn’t seem to be picked up in a standard eye test, Difficulty recognizing people at a distance or reading signs/posters, Reduced vision in low lighting, Bright lights remaining as after-images for much longer than normal, When I look at a plain background – say a wall – in low light it can seem to show a speckled haze or visual snow or graininess (This is a huge problem for me), Heat Wave vision, Millions of eye floaters, Jumpy vision, Painful eyes, Very high pressure readings, Colours are a lot brighter than they should be

This is exactly what I have been experiencing NoMeaning25.

My vision seemed to suddenly deteriorate, especially reading anything at a distance.

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I am 42, and I have wondered if it's an age thing.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

My vision seemed to suddenly deteriorate, especially reading anything at a distance.

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I am 42, and I have wondered if it's an age thing.

Hi, I'm 63 years old.  My vision has been fine until I started going off of anti depressants.   The blurred vision comes and goes, which tells me it is withdrawals.  

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

Hi, I'm 63 years old.  My vision has been fine until I started going off of anti depressants.   The blurred vision comes and goes, which tells me it is withdrawals.

Genlady - have you had to get glasses? I'm seriously thinking of getting some.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 2 weeks later...

I've had vision problems from the beginning of my taper up until now.  I especially have blurred vision at night when I have been reading or using my eyes all day.  I also have snowy spots I have to see through.  I notice them more when I'm outside and look at the sky.  I'm hoping it will go away the longer I don't taper until after surgery. 

Genlady - I have the same issues as you. And my vision has only started declining in the last 2 months.

Major Life Events: 

• 2 months later...

Hi Tweety,

I went for an eye test last week, and found out that I am a bit short sighted.

Before WD, I had no vision issues at all.

Now I will have to wear glasses for driving and just generally reading things at distance.

JC

Major Life Events: 

• 3 weeks later...

Got a prescription from my eye doctor and am having a terrible time adjusting to it. I haven't been able to wear the glasses yet. The first couple of times I would wear them for an hour or two and then be dizzy for days afterwards. Took a break from trying. Tried again the other day...well only put them on for 10 seconds...and have been dizzy for 3 days.

Probably not a coincidence that my withdrawal symptoms are fairly bad, lots of derealization before trying the glasses.

Had an interesting memory in that I wore an old pair of prescription sunglasses over the summer and had no issues, but had issues with my new or old glasses. I did read something that it could be the amount of light being let in, which is why the sunglasses didn't cause problems.

Any thoughts, opinions, or similar issues?

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

Has anyone had success with a particular remedy for dry eyes? I'm not sure if Flonase Nasal Spray can cause dry eyes. I really need to use it to prevent another ear infection so I'm in a bind.

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy