SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Recommended books on antidepressant tapering and withdrawal

Punarbhava

[recommendations from Punarbhava]

1) Your Drug May be Your Problem (How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications) by Dr. Peter Breggin and David Cohen Ph. D PDF here.

2) Rethinking Psychiatric Drugs: A Guide for Informed Consent by Dr. Grace E. Jackson MD

3) Drug Induced Dementia - A Perfect Crime by Dr. Grace E. Jackson MD

Edited by Altostrata
deleted obsolete link

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• 2 weeks later...

The Antidepressant Solution

A Step-by-Step Guide to Safely Overcoming Antidepressant Withdrawal, Dependence, and Addiction.

Joseph Glenmullen, M.D.

(Author of Prozac Backlash)

Contents:

1. Antidepressant Withdrawal and Dependence: Defining the Problem

2. Resolving the Controversy over "Addiction" to Antidepressants: The BBC Expose.

3. The Withdrawal Spectrum: Mild, Moderate, and Severe Withdrawal Reactions.

4. How Changing the Dose of Antidepressants Up or Down May Make Patients Suicidal.

5. Worst Offenders: The Antidepressants that Cause the Most Frequent Withdrawal Reactions.

6. The 5-Step Antidepressant Tapering Program: How to Avoid Uncomfortable or Dangerous Withdrawal Reactions.

7. Step 1: Evaluating Whether You Are Ready to Try Tapering Off Your AD.

8. Step 2. Making the Initial Dosage Reduction.

9. Step 3. Monitoring Withdrawal Symptoms After a Dosage Reduction.

10. Step 4. Making Additional Dosage Reductions.

11. Step 5. The End-Of-Taper Evaluation

12. Tapering Children Off Antidepressants

Afterword

Appendix 1: Daily Checklist of AD Withdrawal Symptoms

Appendix 2: Graph of an AD Withdrawal Reactions.

Appendix 3: Tapering Older Tricyclic and Heterocyclic ADs

Appendix 4: Tapering Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor ADs

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Excellent suggestions. I merged the topic with our highlighted book recommendation topic.

I agree, psychiatric practice seems very weak in differential diagnosis, and the primary care practitioners aren't doing it any better.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

I have read most of these book and Breggin's "Toxic Drugs" helped me withdraw from all my psych meds years ago. The book validated what I had gone through with poly drugging and it was unbelievable to read it.

Thank you for the list of books and content descriptions. :)

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• 7 months later...
  • Administrator

Read any books lately you've found helpful?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

There is The Harm Reduction Guide to Coming off Psychiatric Medications by Will Hall with several contributors including people active on this site. http://theicarusproject.net/HarmReductionGuideComingOffPsychDrugs

Gia / Gianna Kali has a good list of resources on Beyond Meds.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

I like Joseph Glenmullen's The Antidepressant Solution (aka Coming Off Antidepressants). The big book on withdrawal has yet to be written....

Yes I know the Harm Reduction Guide. But reading through the posts here, I see a lot of info that seems to be really valuable and important that isnt included in the guide.

I havent yet read the book by Joseph Glenmullen.

Have been on Seroquel XR from 2008. Dosages have fluctuated quite a bit. Rough guess: I've been on 250-300-350-400-450-500 mg from 2009-summer 2012. Started tapering july 2012 with cuts of 50 mg. By then I had been on 450 mg for a while. October 2012: 200 mg. Due to flu-like WD reinstated to 250 mg nov 12th.

• Moderator Emeritus

I just read an excerpt from Glenmullen's book on Amazon, and I have a lot of trouble with his idea that depression that occurs one to two months after stopping an antidepressant is a relapse rather than a withdrawal symptom. Perhaps I'm in denial about my own lengthy period of feeling sad and apathetic after "tapering" off Lexapro far too fast, but I do think post-medication problems are both greater and more drawn out than Glenmullen understands. Labeling these lingering aftereffects as psychiatric symptoms can only do harm, IMO.

I've thought of writing about antidepressant withdrawal, but I'm not sure I've got the patience or the resources to do a good job of researching the facts. I do agree that the 'big book' has yet to be written. Oddly, Whitaker seems to come closest, while Healy, Breggin, and Glenmullen each seem to have groped only part of the elephant.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Glenmullen is not perfect, but he exhaustively explains withdrawal symptoms so patients and doctors can distinguish them from relapse.

• 1 year later...

Can someone recommend some sound books that offer advice or information about antidepressant withdrawal ??

I've found a few books on the net which seem to address the issue nicely,like:

Your Drug May Be Your Problem: How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications by Peter Breggin

The Antidepressant Solution: A Step-By-Step Guide to Safely Overcoming Antidepressant Withdrawal, Dependence, and "Addiction" by Joseph Glenmullen

Prozac Backlash: Overcoming the Dangers of Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and Other Antidepressants with Safe, Effective Alternatives by Joseph Glenmullen

Please comment if you have read any of these books or have other recommendations.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have the Breggin book. I like it pretty well, except that he recommends a faster taper than I would do. Haven't read the others, although I've heard of Glenmullen.

I personally am not aware of any books that I would recommend as a source of advice on how to taper ADs or how to deal with withdrawal. The best, most exhaustive and most accurate source of that information that I know of is this forum.

Will Hall's Harm Reduction Guide is downloadable as a PDF and has some good stuff in it too.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Rhi, I've searched for information and found this site to be the best source there is. 

In the current events section there are many many topics covering scientific studies and latest

research from many sources and all of them have links to the original source,  There are some

good books out there but I personally haven't read any of the ones on tapering.  I do recommend

Anatomy of an epidemic  by Robert Whttaker, not exactly what you asked for but an excellent

read about the epidemic of 'mental' illness caused by the very drugs that are supposed to treat it!

I also have Ben Goldacres Bad Pharma, exposing the failures and cover ups by the pharmaceutical 

companies. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I did read Dr. Glenmullin's book and it was excellent.  There is a link on this site for a check list by Dr. Glenmullin while tapering.  I am sorry I don't remember what forum it was in.  When you look over it you will feel validated.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Merged similar topics.

Regarding antidepressant withdrawal, I like the Glenmullen book.

Recovery and Renewal

by Baylissa Frederich

Your essential guide to overcoming dependence and withdrawal from sleeping spills benzo tranquillisers and anti depressants.

She is in recovery herself from a benzo

There is a great video clip of her on Cep.org website

Seroxat 1994 then Citalopram 2000- 2014 quit Citalopram CT and descended into Hell with PAWS pollydrugged on following Mirtazapine 30 mgs Seroquel 150 mgs 

Ativan 2 mgs June 2015 switched from Ativan to 20 mgs Valium Tapered-down slowly.

As of 15th March 17, I am benzo free. took 20 months to taper 20mgs Valium.

Seroquel tapered off 125mgs from 19 Sept 17 to 26 Dec. 17

current med 30mgs Mirtazapine

• 4 months later...

Do any of these books talk about Neuro-emotion and other emotional manifestations that people talk about on this site, as well as what James Heaney talks about on his blog?  Things like severe crying spells, preoccupation with the past, exaggerated negative reactions to ordinary life, temper tantrums and emotional meltdowns?

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, who needs a book? #sillyme Seriously, I have a friend going thru heroin w/d + doesnt have 1/2 the symps AD px do. She said its all "mind-altering" tho. Interesting...

I have wondered lately that in my opinion heroin withdrawal seems easier than my AD withdrawal. seriously. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• 1 month later...

What was the name of that book i saw Altostrata and another person recommend ...by some guy GlenMullen? not sure on the name ...had the wdl checklist in the back.

Id like to buy it.

I'll keep looking and if i find it i'll report back here. Is it the one listed above?

found it its 'The antidepressant solution' by Joseph Glenmullan.

I'm off to the book depository to order it.

Lasttime i ordered one from online a second hand one for $1 i think it was they then charged me $35 for postage....i might as well have bought it new. Not falling for that one again!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

For books about tapering off psychiatric drugs, my preference is Joseph Glenmullen's The Antidepressant Solution.

Of Peter Breggin's works, Your Drug May be Your Problem.

• 2 weeks later...

One day maybe one of us will write the book on prolonged withdrawal and recovery. Or perhaps a group effort. A guy can dream.....

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 9 months later...

Do any of these books talk about Neuro-emotion and other emotional manifestations that people talk about on this site, as well as what James Heaney talks about on his blog?  Things like severe crying spells, preoccupation with the past, exaggerated negative reactions to ordinary life, temper tantrums and emotional meltdowns?

Did you end up getting a response to a book suggestion specific to this?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

• 2 months later...

Well i had Glenmullen's book 'antidepressant solution 'on my shelf for about 2 yrs now and only started reading it today.

i guess its just been sitting there cos i thought oh it will just be the same old stuff i have read before.

Well i really rec this book. As usual i am turning it into another  heavily highlighted book. Im now half way through it. Yes there are a lot of things i have read before but that is totally ok to be reminded again.

However im finding some gold im reading some things i had never heard before and will be useful to know so im finding it very informative.

Too bad about the unfortunate title though.

Sadly Glenmullen like Healy says he prescribes ssris. Gee i really feel disappointed when i read of those admissions.

That's why i put Breggin at the number one spot on my heroes list and number two is Brogan. Both these people say 'I don't prescribe'.

I wonder if Lucire prescribes?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 1 year later...

If you have experienced improvement thus far, which it seems like you have, then you are likely to experience further improvement, according to what I've read by other heroes (aside from Kelly Brogan) and based on many, many people's experiences. Keep the faith! And yes, be careful what you read. 

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

Thank you. Yes some days it's hard to believe or keep the faith but we just have to keep pushing forward because there's definately no going back!! 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

8 hours ago, DrugfreeProf said:

If you have experienced improvement thus far, which it seems like you have, then you are likely to experience further improvement, according to what I've read by other heroes (aside from Kelly Brogan) and based on many, many people's experiences. Keep the faith! And yes, be careful what you read. 

Can you expand on what you mean about Kelly Brogan please?

Lexapro 10MG

Kelly Brogan is one of the few medical doctors brave enough to speak out against psych drugs.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

Ah no worries. Thank you. 

Lexapro 10MG

• 1 year later...

Hi Read lots of advice re tapering ssris

on here and Coming of Andidepressants by Glenmullen is recommended by many.

Where can I get a copy of this book in UK or has anyone got a copy for sale on here please 

Thank you

August 2013 depression(A Deppressants prozac
20 mg prozac a day.
June 2017 started slow taper down to  15 mg by december2017.
Jan 2018 down to 10mg a day.
May 2020 chemist changed tabs from Prozac to Fluoxitine 10 mg tabs

I x 10mg tab 6 days a week Monday to Saturday 

= 8.57mg a day.

Symptoms stomach ache   bloating than fatigue then low mood and anxiety.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Katygran

If you are wanting to taper your drug/s I suggest that you create an Introduction topic and we can assist you.  There is a wealth of information on this site about how to do this.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptom List is available here:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

This topic has links to many of the useful topics including Tips for Tapering specific drugs:  Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

The book might be available on Amazon UK, but it looks like it might be expensive.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Chessie cat for your kind reply yes just looked and Coming off Antidepressants is available on Amazon but as you say it is rather expensive.

Wondering if anyone has a spare copy I could  buy  not so expensive

Kind regards

Kate

20 mg prozac a day.

= 8.57mg a day.

• Administrator

Dr. Glenmullen's book is more widely available under the US title "The Antidepressant Solution". Used paperbacks are very inexpensive.

Dr. Glenmullen's book, "The Anti-Depression Solution" is good, but I think he recommends a taper that is too fast. His information on the side effects is the most useful part of the book.

Celexa - 20 mg May 2015 - March 2016 (Felt quite good)..... Celexa taper from May 2016 - Nov 2016.....Completely off by Nov. 2016.

Depression and Anxiety returned June 2017

July, 2017: Zoloft = 25 mg;  Aug. 2017 = 37.5 mg; Nov. 2017 = 50 mg thru Jan. 23, 2018.

Jan. 2018 - May 6, 2019 = taper Zoloft from 50 mg to 12.5 mg.  Aug. 11, 2019 - felt so bad that I reinstated at 25mg. Hold at this dose until Feb. 3, 2020

Feb. 4, 2020 = reduce dose to 21.875 mg. Hold for 10 weeks. April 14, 2020 = 18.75 mg. Hold for 10 weeks.  

June10, 2020 - start cycle of 2 weeks to taper slowly from old dose to new dose, then hold at new dose for 6 weeks.

June 23, 2020  = 16.66 mg.........August 26, 2020 = 14.75 mg ....... October 28, 2020 = 13.15 mg

2021: Jan. 1 = 11.85 mg....Feb. 26 = 10.5 mg....April 23 = 9.3 mg....June 12 = 8.33 mg.... Aug. 7 = 7.05 mg.....Oct. 9 = 6.08 mg.....Dec. 4 = 5.12 mg......Jan. 21, 2022 = 4.16mg.....Mar. 26 = 3.20mg......May 7 = 1.92mg....June 11 = 1.6mg.....July 23= 1.28 mg.....Aug. 13 = 0.96 mg.....Sept. 1 =O mg.

Hi Read lots of advice re tapering ssris

on here and Coming of Andidepressants by Glenmullen is recommended by many.

Where can I get a copy of this book in UK or has anyone got a copy for sale on here please 

Thank you

20 mg prozac a day.

= 8.57mg a day.

Thank you Artistic 1 coming off antidepressants was recommended so was enquiring if anyone on here had a spare copy I could buy but now learned that the antidepressant solution is the same book . I am trying coming off prozac a bit too fast I think 

Kind regards kate

20 mg prozac a day.

= 8.57mg a day.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy