SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Paresthesia: pins & needles, numbness, tingling, burning sensations aka neuropathy

angie007

ADMIN NOTE Also see 

Burning sensations from withdrawal -- skin, mouth, head, elsewhere

Burning Sensations While You're Taking the Drug

Burning Mouth Syndrome

HI GUys, Think this deserves a spot of its own, instead of being attached to someone's story. Has anyone ever experienced in wd, the nerve quivering/jittery sensation?? it feels like every nerve in the whole of your body is super " alive", it gives us ( the sufferer) a feeling of unease, jitteryness and shakyness, and because this particular symptom bothers me , it makes the anxiety feel worse. It also gives me jelly legs and makes me feel really strange?? Anyone relate??

Edited by Altostrata
updated admin note

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

And yes!!! ive never felt anything like this before ever in my life, even the melancholia and crying and low low moods, never had any of this ever before,

so cant help worrying about it.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Hi angie, yes i can relate to all of this .sometimes my whole body feels like someone is running their nails down a blackboard.!

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

I get all over body shock sensations. They start up and down my spine and then radiate out to extremities. They can last for a minute or more and then I break out in a sweat all over. I HATE them!!! Sometimes it makes me feel weak all over and I have to hurry and sit down if I am standing.

Prozac withdrawal about 6 years ago

amitryptilene

nortryptilene

zoloft

effexor

celexa withdrawal about 4 years ago

currently withdrawing form 13 years of Trazodone use for insomnia

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto,

Thank you for your input here, and i have to say im concerned, does this get better??? om its own??? and

can the back pain be part of this syndrome too???

Is there a link anywhere that i can read that gives some positivity and hope that the central nervous system repairs itself??

as ive read some shocking things and too scared to google anymore, but maybe... all ive read does not apply to anyone here that has this

induced by toxins/medications.

• Administrator

Yes, ang, it does get better but progress can be slow.

Now, back pain -- there are non-drug things you can do to help it. As we get older, and if we don't get enough exercise, back pain gets worse.

It's up to you to do what you can to manage symptoms. If you wait for your nervous system to repair itself, you may have back pain for a long time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Now, back pain -- there are non-drug things you can do to help it. As we get older, and if we don't get enough exercise, back pain gets worse.

It's up to you to do what you can to manage symptoms. If you wait for your nervous system to repair itself, you may have back pain for a long time.

So true. I finally gave in after being in severe pain for *13* years, and had back surgery. I tried EVERYTHING first because I was sooooo afraid of the surgery. That was 14 years ago. I would say that I'm about 85% better, with some days being better than others. And some days, I still feel the same pain, only not as severe.

I would suggest exercise, pilates, stretching, massages and the like before I'd ever even think about surgery. There are exercises for the back that you can find on the net. I've found lots.

Charter Member 2011

Hello ,

I have exactly the same symptoms: back pain that caused a shock in the body (a sort of mini syncope). I also have the same symptom when I concentrate or when I'm stressed. In addition I have the feeling of no longer controlling my nerves, I have a sort of nervous étourdissment, difficult to master. How long have you stopped the antidepressants (for me: from 7.5 months - Effexor 37.5 mg))?

Eliza,

Am i glad your here my friend, you describe this so well, for me, ive been off paxil since 11th May this yr, so 3 months, after doing

a 56 month long taper, yes you read it right lol, fifty six long months.

This is such a disturbing symptom, it really unnerves me, as i too, feel i cannot control the nerve jitteriness and shakiness i feel

when i have this. Its horrible to think others go through this too, but i cannot tell you how much better i feel to know that im not

alone either. I sincerely hope this gets better for us all.

Eliza,

Sorry my friend forgot to mention the horrendous back pain too, the pain has been excruciating, taking me 6/7 tiny slithers of movements

just to be able to turn over in bed at night. The odd thing is, that while i was tapering, the pain began in 05, and was not severe, but was

persistent, since being at very low dose the pain ramped up, and since getting off , it just got worse and worse, until it became what i can

only describe as horrendous, excruciating and very long lasting, like 24/7.

However, over the last month or 6 weeks, i have noticed that the pain pattern has changed,

ie, not 24/7 anymore, i could wake up pain free and stay that way until 3pm in the afternoon, then pattern change again the last 2 weeks,

the pain only ramped up between 5/7 in the evening and continue until i went to sleep.

The good news i want to share with you all is, that since monday of this week, i had such a bad day in wd, and tha pain kicked in around 4pm

but only lasted about an hour. Since then i have had ZERO backpain yipppeeeeee, it feels like im in heaven truly, i dont know if this is my new permanent state now, but im hoping and praying that i havent spoken prematurely and this pain free state continues.

And yes because i have had no injury or trauma to my back, never experienced back pain in my life, i really do think the way the pain pattern has

developed, that this is most definately down to paxil wd. My fingers are crossed that this is my new permanent state now.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, having just discovered this wonderful website. I know exactly what you are talking about. I call it the "creepy crawlies", and they started when I began tapering off Effexor, and are continuing now that I have been totally off for a couple of months. I notice this the most in the middle of the night, often waking up at 2:00am or so. I can't stay in bed, have to get up and move around, it feels like I am crawling out of my skin. I think it's a big part of my insomnia.

Prozac: 1990-2008, Provigil: 2000-2008, Klonapin: 1995-2009 (added for insomnia), Buspar: 1992-2008, Zoloft: don't remember dates, Effexor: 1998- June, 2011 (started taper August, 2010), Wellbutrin: 2002-still taking. Plan to go off Wellbutrin as well, but still reeling from Effexor taper.

Hi Angie,

I consider that this is a symptom very difficult to live. My back hurts and it the hurt me give a kind of electric shock in the body / head, as if the brain interpret wrong the body signals. Back pain must be due to stress, this appears the night, when I get to have a good night, no back pain. I hope to pass this time, I wish you too can beat stress and achieve the calm ...

• Administrator

Welcome, seattlemom. Can you describe "the creepy crawlies" a little more?

Is this a physical sensation? Is it on your skin?

angie, that's a good example of how these weird, distressing symptoms come and go and change. Your pain may even be completely gone now (let's hope) or it may come back intermittently, then go away.

eliza, those shocks sound similar to brain zaps, see this topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/288-brain-zaps/page__p__3090__hl__%2Bbrain+%2Bzaps__fromsearch__1#entry3090

The brain zaps are a variant of Lhermitte's sign, a disorder of nervous system electrical signals.

I had this in various ways for a long time, first as brain zaps for 6 months, then painful tingling in hands, wrists, and arms. Eventually, after an acupuncture treatment, it went away completely.

HI Eliza,

Me too, have had the very same sensations in my head from the back pain, very unnerving feeling,

Wish you the best too for relief from this horrible symptom.

Alto,

About the "creepy-crawlies": it's a sort of tingling on the surface of my skin, it seems to start at my neck and up and down my spine and go through my arms and legs. It may be that I'm just more aware of it at night. I sometimes have back pain, and weird joint pain in different joints. Lately, my elbows have been bothering me. When I first started tapering the Effexor, I had migraine headaches everyday for weeks. Thankfully, they have pretty much stopped. My eyes hurt a lot, too. Is this part of the same syndrome?

I'm learning so much by reading the forums. Thanks!

Prozac: 1990-2008, Provigil: 2000-2008, Klonapin: 1995-2009 (added for insomnia), Buspar: 1992-2008, Zoloft: don't remember dates, Effexor: 1998- June, 2011 (started taper August, 2010), Wellbutrin: 2002-still taking. Plan to go off Wellbutrin as well, but still reeling from Effexor taper.

• Administrator

Yep, the creepy-crawlies sound like more Lhermitte's sign.

If your eyes hurt, you may be light-sensitive. Try wearing dark glasses a lot of the time, even indoors and at the computer.

Hi Alto , Angie ,

Thank you very much for the shared information ! It is very difficult to bypass a new symptom .. If I understand the origin it wil be (maybe ..) more easy to live . My back hurt me every day , that cause me a sort of "mini - faiting /fading " sensation, I panic every time that this happens (often ..)

I will read very carrefully the information abour "brain zapp" symptom , hope that this will helpe me to relativise..

Thank you and I Wish you a very good weekend .

Hi Altostrata, Angiue ,

I looked at Lhermitte sign symptoms , I do not recognize my symptoms : I don't have "Sudden transient electric-like shocks extending down the spine triggered by flexing the head forward" . My symptoms is more like a nervous flow that produce a nervous shake sensation with a "paass out" sensation . I don't know if my description is understable , I don't know if this kind of symptom is known like a WD effect ? Is it an other central nervous system dysregulation ?

Thank you again for ypour reply ,

Eliza

HI GUys,

Well i had 2 fantastic pain free days, free of back pain, it was sheer heaven, then...... it came back, not as severe just yet,

just hope that this is going to go away, im upset and teary its back to be honest. This for me proves that there is no REAL

problem with my back and is connected to wd in my opinion.

Will report back and let you all know, when and if it eases up again, i've never known actual TRUE back pain to have a pattern anything like this

all i will tell you is, the pain is absolutely excruciating some days, and if wd isn't limiting my life enough on bad days, then back pain completes the picture.

Truly horrendous - lets hope that it does indeed go away!!!!!!

Wether its coincidental or not!!!! i took 2 paracetemol for ice pick headaches and heavy head , that pain wasnt nice either, and wihin an hour the back pain descended!!!

How in wd, you can take a pain killer for one type of pain and get pain somewhere else im not really sure, but i was free of pain until the paracetemol,

hopefully it was coincidental, but im not sure to be honest. Any thoughts on this anyone????

Eliza, totally sympathise, had the same symptoms hun, but over the months have had some relief from this, hopefully you will be the same.

I put it down to wd, and you describe it perfectly, nervous/shake sensation, that makes you jittery and feel like your going to pass out now ad then is exactly

how i would describe it too, and yes i do believe its to do with central nervous system disregulation.

Hello angie ,

Thank you for your answer , that help me! How long does this lasted for you ?

I'm sorry for your back pain , maybe is link to stress / quality of your sleep ?

• Administrator

Hi Altostrata, Angiue ,

I looked at Lhermitte sign symptoms , I do not recognize my symptoms : I don't have "Sudden transient electric-like shocks extending down the spine triggered by flexing the head forward" . My symptoms is more like a nervous flow that produce a nervous shake sensation with a "paass out" sensation . I don't know if my description is understable , I don't know if this kind of symptom is known like a WD effect ? Is it an other central nervous system dysregulation ?

Eliza, that is only one example of Lhermitte's phenomena. The various electrical sensations among withdrawal symptoms have been attributed to Lhermitte's.

Whether we call it Lhermitte's or not, it's abnormal electrical signaling caused by withdrawal.

Angie, "normal" back pain can indeed come and go, and it can be related to posture or position. It's possible your back pain is part withdrawal and part "normal." It's possible it's an underlying problem that you wouldn't feel but gets exacerbated when you have a bad wave.

If you are not getting enough exercise, you can develop back pain. Do you know of a good chiropractor? If so, you could try this and see if it gives you some relief. You might have a misalignment in your back from hunching over the computer (I do this to myself all the time).

You might have a misalignment in your back from hunching over the computer (I do this to myself all the time).

I have this too, it's soo hard to remember to sit up straight.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Hi Alto/Phil,

Now the theory that the back pain is connected to hunching up over the computer???

I have given this some careful consideration for the last couple of days since first reading this, and you know, its a real possibility i think.

My back pain began on reinstatement of paxil after my virtual ct back in early 06, which ties in with when i got my first computer, and since then ( apart from holidays) i use the computer on a daily basis, although the pain has gotten worse since i came off - but... that could be because im using the computer more too.

I do have plenty of exercise Alto, im usually babysitting or minding grandchildren lol, and have endless trips up and down the stairs on a daily basis.

But i will look into a chiropractor and see if i can ease this situation in any way at all.

But...... the nerve jangly feeling all over the body is a very unnerving feeling, which is really bad today, would love to see the back of that

awful symptom - for sure.

Also this seems to ramp up the anxiety issues too.

• Administrator

I don't believe there's any question that hunching over the computer is bad for your back!

Please do try the chiro, it can save you a lot of suffering. Go to a good one, not a quack.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally I can feel my body parts. However, certain interventions intended to help with digestive issues cause me to lose sensitivity. I typically stop the intervention after I lose some or most of the feeling in certain body parts and sensitivity fully returns in a week or two. The genitals, tip of nose, cheeks are most affected.

While I really want to reduce refluc, etc... i also really don't want further sexual dysfunction.

Anyone know why we lose feeling in body parts?

Thanks for the help.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

God, who the hell knows? I've been wondering this very thing for the last couple of weeks. I never had the all-out numbness thing until I started taking vitamin D and then STOPPED. Once I stopped, my genitals and entire pelvic region just went DEAD. I mean like completely numb, like I had been given a nerve block or something. I couldn't feel anything. It was terrifying -- an utterly alien experience. My -- ahem -- equipment felt exactly like an arm that has fallen asleep. The skin on the top of my hands, arms, and on my cheeks was also desensitized (but not completely numb like my pelvic region).

After a couple days of no Vitamin D, I reinstated and within about 48 hours the sensation came back, such as it is. I say such as it is because my baseline sensitivity throughout my body (but especially in those aforementioned regions) has definitely been muted ever since I started the f**king Effexor five long years ago. Even after stopping it almost four years ago, the desensitization remains. But get this: every once in a while I'll have a spontaneous 100% remission of the numbness and feel like I used to pre-meds! You can bet I've tried to pin down what might be causing these remissions, but so far I've come up empty (as always with this stuff). I've noticed a weak correlation with exercise/stress (spontaneous remissions SEEM to occur after I've done a hard workout or have been meditating successfully and lowered my stress level), but then again sometimes they completely surprise me out of the blue when I'm quite stressed. Sigh.

Anyway, back to the Vitamin D: I then tried the experiment of quitting the vitamin D again a few months later and the same thing happened.

Now, in the last couple of weeks, I have tried it one more time and strangely, this time there is definitely SOME numbness (it's worse than my typical low-sensitivity baseline) but nowhere near as bad as it was the last two times I stopped the Vitamin D. It's been about two weeks now off the Vitamin D and I'm still not as numb as the previous times, but still more numb than my typical baseline.

So now I have all kinds of questions that I know nobody in the medical community has answers to:

-Did the Vitamin D react strangely because of my long-term history of SSRI use which more than likely caused all kinds of weird iatrogenic/genetic changes?

-WHY would STOPPING the supplement cause numbness, and not STARTING it?

-Why is the numbness better after this current quitting attempt? I haven't changed anything drastically in my life since the last two attempts, except my Lexapro dose, which I reduce 10% every month

-Maybe, if I stay off the Vitamin D long enough, the full numbness of the previous quitting attempts will return? Or, conversely, maybe if I stay off the Vitamin D long enough, perhaps my body will re-equilibriate back to the usual baseline (lowered) sensitivity?

-If I go back ON the Vitamin D, will I regain my sensitivity? Or will it cause some other weird symptom?

*You get the idea: on and on and on it goes. I'm posting this here because I know you guys are the only ones that would understand, and hopefully I've given Alexjice some solace. I just hate how nebulous all this stuff is: getting to the bottom of any of these symptoms is like pinning jello to a tree. I guess that's why I often don't partake in a lot of "symptoms" discussions because I've been around the SSRI block for so long and know that eventually people realize that there are no answers, just iffy theories at best. There's a strange sense of serene surrender that you get when you fully accept this and don't bash your head against the wall trying to cure whatever weird symptoms you're having. You just go with it, one day at a time, even though it can be awful and you often wonder what the point of carrying on is.

What a life...

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

You get the idea: on and on and on it goes. I'm posting this here because I know you guys are the only ones that would understand, and hopefully I've given Alexjice some solace. I just hate how nebulous all this stuff is: getting to the bottom of any of these symptoms is like pinning jello to a tree. I guess that's why I often don't partake in a lot of "symptoms" discussions because I've been around the SSRI block for so long and know that eventually people realize that there are no answers, just iffy theories at best. There's a strange sense of serene surrender that you get when you fully accept this and don't bash your head against the wall trying to cure whatever weird symptoms you're having. You just go with it, one day at a time, even though it can be awful and you often wonder what the point of carrying on is.

That's really interesting with the vitamin D. Obviously, I don't have the solution but I appreciate your share since I can relate. Yea, it's a pretty terrible, paralyzed feeling and the false alarms are the worst. In this case, I suppose they're more like false hopes than false alarms, but I've had those experiences too. Suddenly, everything is much better, good enough to pass for normal even... but why? What do I do to keep it like this?

In my case I have other sexual issues besides loss of sensation... But that's one that seems to come on when I try to be proactive about my digestive problems.

It's an issue for me because I have LPR which affects my ability to use my voice. It's pretty important to me that I am able to speak throughout the day but the only solutions have tradeoffs. I have two options at present: intervene to improve my voice trading off sexual/facial sensation, or wait some more at with the risk of developing more serious vocal problems... Even the interventions are uncertain as is the permanence of any loss of sensation. Finally, waiting is the hardest, it's really scary. Because the bad thing can still happen and then I get to live knowing that I did nothing to try to prevent it.

God, who the hell knows?

You said it pretty dang well, cine.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

very interesting.... Vitamin D3 made my withdrawal symptoms worse after taking it for a short time. Maybe it has some neurological effects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Vitamin D3 is very neuroactive. It is a protohormone, providing fuel for the manufacture of other hormones.

One may very well be hypersensitive to it as any other neuroactive substance.

In the past month there is one symptom that has gotten worse overall. And that is the numbness and slight pain within my fingertips (more on the left hand than right). Sometimes I also have a slight pain in the toes of my right food.

It is no big problem, as it doesn't stay all day, but I am just baffled again why this happens so far out after only 4 pills. I think that it maybe has nothing to do with my fingers, but with the center of my brain where the nerve signals of those body parts arrive. If that makes any sense...

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• 1 month later...

In addition to all of the symptoms of weaning, I have been having numbness in my toes since March. As of the list couple of nights I also began to have numb hands. During the day it subsides, but at night it seems to be getting worse.

I did a full bloodwork at the GP when this started and they found nothing wrong. In fact weaning from the meds brought my weight back to normal along with cholesterol, trigycerides and blood glucose. So, I addressed the possibility of it being something else.

I have read a couple of different forums long ago where people discussed this numbness as a symptom of weaning but thought I would ask about it here as well.

xxxx

It's a well-known benzo w/d symptom, I know because I experience it.

I was stopped at a drug rehab using a barbituate taper and I got tingly extremities. Sometimes I had significant loss of feeling and other times almost normal but never normal. It's on the left for me, and for most others in the cases related to benzos.

My tingly/numb left hand and foot have never fully recovered but they've gotten better. I almost never even notice it.

Alex

ps - my understanding is that in nearly all cases it subsides after a time.

- Zimmerman

Yes! I just started having this. I'm tingly from below my knees and my feet feel numb. I don't know if it's from the Paxil w/d or from the Xanax since I have only been taking Xanax at night. I'm splitting my Xanax dose in half and taking one in the morning and one at night, and will do a very slow taper off the Xanax that way.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy