angie007

Paresthesia: Pins & Needles, Numbness, Tingling, Burning Sensations

138 posts in this topic

I've had a lot of nerve issues - numbness, tingling, prickling sensations in my hands & feet.  I've been diagnosed with dysautonomia by my PCP as well, he understands that it is most likely caused by coming off all the meds I was on, particularly Zoloft for 14 years.  

The past couple of months the tingling sensations in my legs/feet/arms have gone away, but now I get a few hrs a day where the left and sometimes right side of my face has burning sensations.  Has any one had burning sensations, esp. in the face?  

Hi daddybuggaorange

If you read my thread you will see that I also experienced many sensory sensations whilst withdrawing from Paroxetine/Paxil. The tingling in my feet has also started feeling better after 6 months.

I still have an area on my forehead which ifeels like a pushing,burning feeling. It feels like this almost everyday but has also improved over time. i had protracted WD after 9 months while slowly reducing Paroxetine and am now tapering even slower.

When I first started with the physical symptoms, my face tingled, twitched and burned a lot but this will eventually get better for you.

I was very anxious about my physical symptoms and still worry some days but the moderators and members on SA have been very supportive and helpful with all their advice and explanations.

Take care

Africa

Greetings,

I have had a tingling sensation in my left ear which has persisted every since I started tapering Effexor over two years ago. I have just checked my diary where I record symptoms etc. It comes and goes but I am aware of it most days.

Apart from that, I suffer from pressure in my forehead which comes and goes also. It seems to be at its worst in the evening time. I take the Effexor in the morning.

I would be pretty sure that it's related to the Effexor tapering. I look forward to the day when I am free of it entirely. My signature reflects where I am at currently.

Have a good weekend everyone :)

Hello all, I already posted this in my introduction, but I felt it fits better here. I'll try to be brief! 

I started cipralex/lexapro for anxiety caused by issues dealing with a back injury (herniated disk affecting my right leg), and took it for only two months. I took 2 weeks of 5mg, and then 6 weeks of 10 mg. 

I decided to stop because I thought I was having side effects from the medication. Only few days after starting cipralex I started to experience tingling in both feet, but most strongly in my right leg. I rapidly associated this to my back problem, and did not think of cipralex. However, I then started to have tingling in my fingertips. After some investigation, I found that this can be caused by SSRI. 

The tingling increased, and I decided that I would stop cipralex to know whether or not they were side effects. However, while tapering off (1 weeks at 5mg, 1 week at 2.5 mg), the tingling increased even more (hands and feet), and I am now 5 weeks off and the tingling has never been so strong. I also feel some nerve pain in my toes and fingers. 

Could this still be cause by cipralex, or could this be something else? I had cervical and lumbar MRIs in the last week, and nothing explains the tingling in left leg and hands (right leg could be explained by herniated disk). I am now thinking I might need a brain MRI to eliminate serious problem like MS. 

So, considering I only took the medication for 8 weeks (+ 2 weeks tapering), and that it's been 5 weeks since I stopped,  could this still be side effects and/or withdrawal effects from cipralex? If so, can it really go on like this for much longer? The doctors do not think by now that the tingling comes from Cipralex. Basically, they all looked at me as if I was crazy when I mentioned cipralex side effect to them. 

I have the burning feeling like acid being poured over my head. The burning sensation moves around from one area of my head to the other, the most common place being the right side of my head radiating from my temple. My neck is sometimes involved with burning down my back. It is worst when the entire head is involved.

This may be the best forum I've read in a year!

I took Paxil for 15 years when it finally "pooped out." Doc told me to just stop and try Wellbutrin (which didn't do a THING for me.) You all can imagine how horrific that cold turkey WD was..

I was really sick for several weeks and a few months in began to experience foot tingling/numbness/weird sensations. Same doctor told me I had Idiopathic Peripheral Neuropathy (Not loving this guy any longer..) . Add that to an already anxious soul- I've been a mess for a year now.

Reading all the above notes gives me faith that these constant symptoms might possibly be ongoing WD symptoms. Thank you to all who have written that, with symptoms getting better, no matter how slowly, these nerves of mine will heal.

XO!

Hi All,

here's my story...

I was starting my third effexor taper 7/2015 -6/2016 and down to 3 mg untill nerve conditions of numbness, buzzing, tingling, burning sensation in limbs started. I didn't know what was happening and neither did my doctors and thought I had some other illness such as MS, fibromyalgia etc. Did numerous tests with no diagnosis. Anxiety and insomnia was at an all time high so Doctor reinstated full 37.5 mg dose on 6/30 and up to 75 mg in 1 week. Because the nerve conditions also were not allowing me to sleep the doc gave me clonazepam.

Later I was then given lyrica to help with the nerve conditions. but After a one week trail of lyrica in August I discontinued immediately due to some paradoxical effects of jerks and muscle fasciculations. I also decided the clonazepam might also be a culprit and started a 4 week taper with the help of mirtazapine for sleep.

While this was going on only through the course of my own research did I come to the conclusion that the nerve conditions I was suffering from initially was from SNRI withdrawal symptoms. September faired better as the initial withdrawal symptoms seemed like they were being resolved after a few months back on effexor so then I figured the effexor was helping with that...Great! but....As soon as I was done with the clonazepam some of the initial nerve symptoms I experienced in June have returned. Not sure if the clonazepam was masking it. So now my issue is that I'm at a higher dose of the effexor than when I started and the withdrawal symptoms has not been entirely reversed and don't know what to do at this point? Taper off effexor? I'm still using mirtazapine for sleep because because the nerve condition of either a jerk, adrenaline surge, numbness etc will keep me up. Please help me I'm desperate!!!

Hi whatshappening,

The new topic which you created with the same information as the above post has been made into your own Intro/Update topic which you can find by clicking this link:  whatshappening-did-i-reinstate-too-late

Your questions will be responded to in your own topic.

so antidepressants withdrawal can actually cause some nervous damage? or is it just a symptom that withdrawal can mimic? i heard some people suffering from benzo withdrawall that as well feel this kind of stuff

You might find reading this topic helpful/interesting:  What is Happening in Your Brain.

Alto's quote at the beginning of the post:  "The domino effect of neurotransmitter dysregulation she describes here regarding GABA and glutamate also applies generally to all the other neurotransmitters affected by psychiatric drugs. They are all necessary, working in harmony, like an orchestra. Dysregulate one, and the others tend to get dysregulated, too."

It is a long post but I suggest you read completely through Post #1 because I think it helps for us to understand that there is an immense amount of work going on in the brain.  I think this analogy within that post is excellent:

"It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made."

so antidepressants withdrawal can actually cause some nervous damage? or is it just a symptom that withdrawal can mimic? i heard some people suffering from benzo withdrawall that as well feel this kind of stuff

apparently so. I never had those problems before and the effexor was the only drug I was on before it all started and was tapering off of. Now being poly drugged of course I can't tell if this is the initial withdrawal symptoms returning or from the clonazepam mimicking the same symptoms. 

apparently so. I never had those problems before and the effexor was the only drug I was on before it all started and was tapering off of. Now being poly drugged of course I can't tell if this is the initial withdrawal symptoms returning or from the clonazepam mimicking the same symptoms. 

scary man... i did some exams and it all came back negative, wich leads me to think that it's some sort of neuropathic issue, thinking about actual NERVE DAMAGE is scary...

But maybe nerves can regenerate with time. At least that's what I'm hoping for being back in effexor.

Over the past week I started having these pins and needle sensation in my head and now it has moved to my face. The sensation is constant. I have been off Prozac for almost 14 months. Is this a new symptom of withdrawal?

I've had a lot of nerve issues - numbness, tingling, prickling sensations in my hands & feet. I've been diagnosed with dysautonomia by my PCP as well, he understands that it is most likely caused by coming off all the meds I was on, particularly Zoloft for 14 years.

The past couple of months the tingling sensations in my legs/feet/arms have gone away, but now I get a few hrs a day where the left and sometimes right side of my face has burning sensations. Has any one had burning sensations, esp. in the face?

Yes, my lips have been numb for six months while in wd. I've noticed a few times that the right side of my chin is also numb. I wonder which nerve area this is related to?

I've had a lot of nerve issues - numbness, tingling, prickling sensations in my hands & feet. I've been diagnosed with dysautonomia by my PCP as well, he understands that it is most likely caused by coming off all the meds I was on, particularly Zoloft for 14 years.

The past couple of months the tingling sensations in my legs/feet/arms have gone away, but now I get a few hrs a day where the left and sometimes right side of my face has burning sensations. Has any one had burning sensations, esp. in the face?

Yes, my lips have been numb for six months while in wd. I've noticed a few times that the right side of my chin is also numb. I wonder which nerve area this is related to?

Burning feet. Comes with increased walking or when core body temperature is hot

I suspect it is a w/d symptom.  I get get like a "flush" of pins and needles in my scalp from time to time.  It is not constant, so that must be difficult to live with.  I suspect it is a nerve issue like another thing I get ocasionally is a sharp pin pricking and another one is like head lice or something running through my scalp.  I wonder if there is anything that can help these things?

grandmaD -

I wish I could find something that helps.  I have notice when I have the feeling/sensation in my face that it causes itching.  It feels almost like an allergic reaction. 

I have this too.  entire body and head.  The tingling comes and goes.  I'm trying to figure out if it is related to stress or not.  I took a dose of Advil and the tingling started then.  I don't know if that means it is withdrawal or an Advil side effect.  Advil never effected me before WD.  Do you know if this will go away or lessen with time.  It is very difficult to live with and sometimes almost seems so intense it seems to shake my body though others cant feel any shaking.

It has been with me all these years regardless high or low dose, although not everyday. Often times severe enough to make my heart shaking, but not the real noticeable physical shaking.

Did it start when you were taking the meds or after you stopped it? How about burning? I believe it's all from these drugs not Advil. But after your system is shocked, other meds including Advil can bring the symptoms back.

I'm so sorry that only three day med hurts you so much. It sounds to me you got a drug reaction.

does anyone have a constant burning and pins in the back of there hands and feet since withdrawing from their medication , also if I sit or or cross my legs my limbs go numb very quickly , I wonder wether it's due to the condition called called parathesia which has been has been stimulated to nerve damage from the use of anti depressants , has anyone experienced this , does anyone no how to relieve these symptoms , mornings are bad for me , feel like my skin is on fire and itching especially in my arm s hands and feet with pins and needles , feels like sunburn

TERRY - omg! I have this.

The tops of my hands burn/prickle after I eat a meal. I'm trying to figure out if it's due to turkey or not, but it tends to happen with certain meals.

My legs have started getting ridiculously strong pins and needles in them when I'm crossing my legs. My hands go numb with holding my phone sometimes. Even laying on the sofa can make the side of my bode go numb too. I use to wake up with numb body parts too!

I basically Cold turkey'd (4 week taper) Citalopram 19 months ago.

I have the burning, tingling and numbness coming and going all over my body. It really started to flare up at the 16 month mark. Prior to that could only feel the occasional numbness in my fingertips, toes and genital area at times. Has anyone had a flare up so late in WD? Any recovery stories? I'm feeling so depressed and uncomfortable and not sure what to do next. 

Still feeling the pins + needles sensations at 5.5 months out from my CT of Prozac. It's mainly in my hands, arms, and legs. I also get the numbing and buzzing sensations in my feet, head, and hands. I think it is getting a liiiiiittle better but haven't had any significant changes. 

I wonder if there is a way to minimize the intensity of the pins + needles? Have any of you tried something that would be effective for this symptom?

Anongrl, I probably one of the many who had the longest and most severe pins and needles pain all theses years. Immensing into cold water seems the only things helps. Mine is allover the head and back so I swimming provides the best results with soothing from the water for like 20-30 mins. They usually disappear or lesson a lot when I get out of the pool.

I had all of this and now it's gone. It's withdrawal . It was hard at the time but with patience one gets through. I had pins and needles pretty much everywhere -  mainly in the head - that was one of the most disconcerting symptoms. I chose to think of it as healing and I do think that it is . As I was going through it I kept saying to myself -  " this is healing " . This is what healing looks like . Remaining positive is of the utmost importance . For anyone experiencing this now - just know that it does get better with time. Eventually it starts to dwindle away ..... given  time.

I had all of this and now it's gone. It's withdrawal . It was hard at the time but with patience one gets through. I had pins and needles pretty much everywhere -  mainly in the head - that was one of the most disconcerting symptoms. I chose to think of it as healing and I do think that it is . As I was going through it I kept saying to myself -  " this is healing " . This is what healing looks like . Remaining positive is of the utmost importance . For anyone experiencing this now - just know that it does get better with time. Eventually it starts to dwindle away ..... given  time.

Mine only affects me when I've ate a meal - usually containing turkey or some other meats. How long did it take for you to recover? Are you healed now?

I prefer a whole food plant based diet. I believe it has helped me heal. I'm 95% there. I'm nearly 3 years out but still experience windows and waves even now. I know it's just a matter of time before I'm completely healed. I'm hanging in there with hope and optimism. 

Withdrawals questions

Has anyone ever complained of paraesthesia/tingling feeling in the brain from lexapro withdrawals?

I hear it about skin. But I feel it in my brain :( and pain/pulsating feeling in left temple, I can feel it move. But the tingly numbness in my brain is scary 24/7 right down the back of my brain to my spine. But mostly brain. It's intense every moment of the day.

And I watch my cheek twitch hugely on the left side of my face too, any ideas on that too?

So any thoughts on

(Main question) 24/7 brain tingling? Not scalp, actually in my brain or central nervous system.

Left temple twitch/pulsate pain

Left cheek twitch?

If it's not withdrawals then it's either from the 5 months of reinstatement that made me incompetent incapacitated and bearly alive, guessing toxcicity..