If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Paresthesia: Pins & Needles, Numbness, Tingling, Burning Sensations

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#37 Tom

Tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

Yes, this does get better with time. At least in my case it has. It still flares up sometimes, but I would say that most days either it is not there, or it's so subtle that I don't notice it at all.
Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

#38 Crocus

Crocus

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Locationxxxx

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Tom, Georgia, Shanti and Alex - Well thank you for letting me know this. It is such an obnoxious thing and primarily at night they go numb, but it has worsened with the taper. I am so glad to hear that symptoms subside over time - thank you for letting me know your experiences.
xxxx

#39 alexjuice

alexjuice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationUndisclosed USA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

I've been trying some new supplements. They are on the riskier end since they are formulations with lots of ingredients. However, since I started this bad stretch, in mid February, I've experienced skeletal muscular pains, zaps, twitches. They are mostly in the limbs and hands and feet but also occur in the trunk and random places under the skin... They do not occur on my face or zap my brain. So these zaps, pains, pins/needles predate the current supplements. There may be other threads on this topic or omethng similar, but I couldn't find one promptly. Also, one of the reasons I've been trying to minimize blood draws is because a big "zap point" is my elbow pocket, maybe due to 20+ draws in the last 2-3 months. yet... I dunno... I know in drug studies blood is often drawn 24 times a day everyday for the length of the study... Anyway, anyone else had flare ups like this?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

#40 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

I had those electrical-like tingling pains in my hands and wrists for a while. At times, I could feel them shoot through. I believe acupuncture helped those. I think they're classic Lhermitte's sign.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#41 Barbarannamated

Barbarannamated

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

I don't believe there's any question that hunching over the computer is bad for your back!
Please do try the chiro, it can save you a lot of suffering. Go to a good one, not a quack.

Just saw this message from awhile back and had to throw my OH YES! in. Posture at computer and while driving can flare my neck and back pain in minutes. Positioning of computer screen, chair height, steering wheel can help also to achieve the most ergonomic position.
Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

#42 lindamorellato

lindamorellato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

It seems to be getting worse. This is what used to happend when I would start an AD. I am off the AD. Is is the what goes up must come down? I'm just so sick of it. I guess these are the physical symptoms of withdrawl and I hate them.
Lexapro 20 mg.since Aug 2009
Lamotrigine -100 mg. sept. 2009
Seroquel-50 mg.
down from 100 for 6 months.
Been going off and on lexapro since October 2012
off and on Lamotrigine since October 2012.
Incidentally, massive headaches and monthly vomiting has ceased
since October 2012.
So right now no lexapro since Dec. 28th after only taking 15 tables from Nov.12-to Dec.28,2012.
No lamotrigine since mid October 2012.
50 MG. seroquel at bedtime since June 2012.

#43 LostaDecade

LostaDecade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Hi all. I'm not sure if there was already a topic started on numbness but I couldn't locate it so thought I'd ask here. Off meds for about 6 months after 10 years and my latest symptom is waking up with my left hand numb. Much of it goes away immediately except for from the pinky all the way down to the wrist which never goes away. My neck hurt when it started about a week ago so I thought it was a pinched nerve but now my neck is better but my hand is not. Dad has fibromyalsia so I'm a bit scared that this is permanent but was HOPING it was yet another withdrawal symptom that would go away. I am a musician so this is not good. Any answers would be much appreciated. As always, thank you.

#44 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

If you're sleeping on you hand and then, during the day, leaning on it (while using the computer for example), you might get some numbness. Try stretching and massaging your hand, wrist, and arm, and be mindful of any habits you might have that are reducing circulation to that hand. How do I know this? I've had similar symptoms myself.
This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#45 basildev

basildev

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hi LostaDecade, I'm sorry you're experiencing such distressing symptoms. I had a similar experience except my issue was with a constantly twitching thumb. Being a panic-merchant, I did all kinds of research, took all kinds of supplements but it wouldn't go away. Eventually I saw a doctor who said that in 95% of cases it's benign, there's no known cause and it goes away by itself. So I stopped worrying about it and within a few weeks it was gone. In my case, there was no neck pain or anything else to indicate I had a pinched nerve. But obviously that's what it was in the end. I'm sure you've Googled everywhere but here's a link anyway: http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/003206.htm I think the fact that you previously had neck pain is a good sign - it suggests that the problem could in fact be pinched nerve. Just because the neck isn't still hurting doesn't mean the nerve has healed yet. I hope it gets better soon.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

#46 alexjuice

alexjuice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationUndisclosed USA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Lost, What is your medication history? Numbness/tingling/'asleep feeling' in extremeties, especially on the left side is very common wth benzos. My left hand lost a lot of fine sensitivity after a rapid bentox detox. This particular benzo symptom has lasted me a long time. Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

#47 Jerome

Jerome

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

If the area of numbness is the entire suface of the pinkie [including the pinkie side of the ring finger, but not the other side], and the numbness is consistantly located there, something could be disturbing your ulnar nerve. It is responsible for skin sensation in that area. I believe pressure at the elbow, as Altostrata suggests, is a common cause. Aweigh

No history of AD meds. Single dose 6 mg/day of Ativan (9 mg/d max!) for 7 years. Summer of 2012 I learned about IW sx and began the change to 3X day dosing, finishing in October. Big improvement in sx. Finally got under way with a hybrid [wet/dry] daily cut taper in Dec. 2012, at 0.0125 mg/day. I also take 5 mg/day of Valium and opiate pain meds. On medical hold, re-started taper 5/21. Cardiac sx put taper on hold for summer of 2013. Some of what I thought were wd sx remitted when I had the heart problem corrected. > IW sx led to 4X/day dosing, again definitely helpful. Fractured my left wrist in April, 2014, taper on hold again :angry: . Restarting 12/2016, at 1 mg 4 X day, ramping to a projected reduction rate of ~ 10 µg per day :P  This time, I'm not stopping for adverse medical conditions.

My taper method, which will soon be further simplified and contain corrected information, is linked here: http://survivinganti...ised/?hl=jerome

#48 Marmite

Marmite

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast of England

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

I have experienced this in two areas of my body. 1) In my hands. In my case I think it is due to problems with circulation originating from my heart. I wake up with numb hands, but when I move around it goes away, so probably not the same as yours. 2) In my left side (hip and lower back). This area troubled me a great deal for several years, and I was worried there was nerve damage in this area. I couldn't get the nerves / muscles to activate when turning over in bed. It was worse if I was inactive. Hope this is vaguely helpful. x
5 yrs on Escitalopram 10mg, 2 week taper resulting in serious protracted w/d
Cardiac and autonomic nervous system w/d effects resulted in hospital admission - low & erratic pulse
Re-instated to 10mg Citalopram after several months - bit better
Tapered after 6 months (2008) over 3 months using liquid drops - gave up when w/d started at 2 mg as didn't know better.
Cardiac symptoms - no improvement - pacemaker implanted.
Placed on corticosteroid for autonomic nervous system issue - caused deep depression/suicidal thoughts on top of w/d symptoms
Placed back on Citalopram 10mg for 12 months - 2009/10
Taken off - 2 week taper again - worse w/d, paranoia and intense anxiety developed. Referred to psychiatry
Placed back on Citalopram 10mg - 2012 - refused higher dose
Taken off after 6 months - 2 week taper again - serious anxiety, dissociation, in a mess
Therapist, peer support and education on psych drug w/d got me through more serious w/drawal effects.
Drug free since 2012, but still have bradycardia, recently tachycardia and pacemaker plus minor legacy effects. No MH symptoms

#49 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

I had various symptoms in my hands, wrists, arms, and back. Hunching over a computer on top of withdrawal-related hypersensitivity was the culprit. I found chiropractic treatments and acupuncture to be very helpful.

#50 LostaDecade

LostaDecade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Thanks so much, all! As with the horrid might sweats, brain zaps etc., etc., hoping it will go away. I, to, believe it could be a pinched ulnar nerve. Time will tell!

#51 Francis

Francis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

A few months into withdrawal, I started getting shooting pains down my arms and numb finger tips. Im not sure if it was a coincidence, but it seemed that taking magnesium helped with it. (I feel like magnesium was somewhat magic for me, as it took away a lot of distressing symptoms... my hands and neck were also clenching painfully out of the blue.) Some of these physical symptoms are quite scary- as if the general awful emotions/insomnia/what-have-you aren't enough to deal with!

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

#52 LostaDecade

LostaDecade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

Yes! Scary, indeed, but so nice to have my brain back. My left hand is better but every night I wake up and now both my pinky sides are numb. I know it had in part to do with a habit of sleeping with my hands over my head though I never had a problem with it before I went if the meds. Magnesium - have you read about people putting a bar of hotel soap at the foot of their bed to get rod of leg cramps? Sounds silly but mom did it and her legs no longer cramp! Whatever works! :-)

#53 MissMellie

MissMellie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

I am almost currently into my 26th month of a cold turkey Lexapro withdrawal and am having a bad wave of pins and needles and numbness. Just seeking some reassurance on others that have struggled with this for so long...At present I am getting numbness on the left side of my face on and off  - I can have weeks without it and then it comes back again. I also get a similiar feeling on my left forarm but it also feels tingly. I also get a big patch of pins and needles on my left shoulder blade, this also at times feels numb. This has all come on since lex withdrawal, I have had a brain MRI to rule out MS, as well as blood tests to check for vitamin deficiency and a neck xray to rule out any problems - all have come back negative. Would love to hear from anyone with similar issues.

2006 - 2011 20mg Lexapro ( Diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder/Postnatal depression after childbirth. Symptoms only emerged after having Implanon hormonal implant put in).
2011 - CT off Lexapro (Did not know about withdrawal and developed crippling anxiety/panic attacks plus a host of other symptoms)
Oct 2011 - March 2012 - Diagnosed with panic disorder and was reinstated back onto 20mg Lexapro and .5mg Xanax. Took Xanax several times over a 2 week period and stopped.
Feb 2012 - April 2012 - Weekly drops of Lexapro and CT.
Protacted Withdrawal ever since. 0-18 months "severe" psychological hell. Currently at 26months and have left sided paresthesia. Numbness/tightness/burning left side of face. Pins and needles left shoulder blade. Hot patches/electric zaps on lower legs, Eye twitch. Nerve pain in back and crawling feeling on left forearm.

#54 Furiated

Furiated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

I used to have this too but on my fingers.

Read my threads, maybe you can get an idea on how to treat yourself. :) Everyone is different so you know better what to do.

• Dropped Cymbalta 30mg Nov. 2013
  • Suffered what appeared to be withdrawal (PSSD, anger, emotional numbness)
  • Begun tapering from 30mg on 16/2/2014 by counting beads

#55 trouper

trouper

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Locationunited states

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

i've been dealing with this lately too. i was thinking it was withdrawal but now it seems to be getting worse and appears to be affected by my posture and how i sleep so i'm in the process of looking for a doc to rule things out. i had a numbing of the face happen the other day which reminded me of when i would get numbing from migraines, so withdrawals or a migraine, its definitely neurological. i hope its wd and will go away... :)

17 years on zoloft/sertraline for generalized anxiety disorder, dosage between 25-50mg

last dose 4/8/13 after a 3 month taper

have protracted withdrawal syndrome

#56 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,594 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

I am almost currently into my 26th month of a cold turkey Lexapro withdrawal and am having a bad wave of pins and needles and numbness. Just seeking some reassurance on others that have struggled with this for so long...At present I am getting numbness on the left side of my face on and off  - I can have weeks without it and then it comes back again. I also get a similiar feeling on my left forarm but it also feels tingly. I also get a big patch of pins and needles on my left shoulder blade, this also at times feels numb. This has all come on since lex withdrawal, I have had a brain MRI to rule out MS, as well as blood tests to check for vitamin deficiency and a neck xray to rule out any problems - all have come back negative. Would love to hear from anyone with similar issues.

I've had numbness, pins and needles/pain in my right heel for about 2 months.  It started suddenly for no reason.  Was quite bad for a while and the pain would occur when I walked or held my foot in various positions.  Its slowly getting better, there is only slight pain now and the numbness has decreased.  I found that light stretching and massage of the area helped at times.

These symptoms are common in withdrawal and if tests have ruled out other causes, then there is nothing to worry about, they will pass.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#57 MissMellie

MissMellie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Thankyou everyone for your replies. Pokeshaw I believe I have already put in an Introduction about myself but have now also added a signature. Trouper I have also found that it is affected by posture. Have you had any luck finding a dr? Petu I have been thinking about trying accupuncture or an osteopath to try and relieve the sensations, but I struggle to explain my situation - I have told dr's before and I just get the puzzled/disblief look. Its so hard to keep telling myself that this is still withdrawal, my anxiety levels at the moment are really high. When I get the sensations I start to panic and I think it exacberates them.
2006 - 2011 20mg Lexapro ( Diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder/Postnatal depression after childbirth. Symptoms only emerged after having Implanon hormonal implant put in).
2011 - CT off Lexapro (Did not know about withdrawal and developed crippling anxiety/panic attacks plus a host of other symptoms)
Oct 2011 - March 2012 - Diagnosed with panic disorder and was reinstated back onto 20mg Lexapro and .5mg Xanax. Took Xanax several times over a 2 week period and stopped.
Protacted Withdrawal ever since. 0-18 months "severe" psychological hell. Currently at 26months and have left sided paresthesia. Numbness/tightness/burning left side of face. Pins and needles left shoulder blade. Hot patches/electric zaps on lower legs, Eye twitch. Nerve pain in back and crawling feeling on left forearm.

#58 dekiru

dekiru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I'm experiencing pins and needles as well, it comes in waves. I have to be very careful not to let myself worry and tell myself it's yet another symptom of withdrawal.

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((
09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.
<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

#59 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'm right-handed and I got painful tingling early on in withdrawal in my right arm and shoulder (as well as other places) from spending too time using the mouse and typing on the computer.

Acupuncture and chiro helped, but stretching and getting exercise that wasn't sitting at the computer helped more.

#60 LexAnger

LexAnger

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

For me, sharp pins and needling pains have been my major suffers from both lex and withdrawal of it. Often times I feel I am close to have a panic attack or heart attack when the pain is so severe. The pain is always on head, neck, shoulder and can get to upper back. Paied with all the above is the intolerable jaw pain.

Sometimes I feel a very uncomfortable sensation of numbness and pressure on head, face, nose etc instead of pain.

I have been on those ever since tapered down to 2 mg 7/13 they stayed with me 24/7 since. Interesting thing is my thinking is not impacted by pain but numbness can affect my thinking ability.
<p>2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain; Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg, first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg, slight improvement with pain2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR2016 Feb., started fast taper for the drug toxicity caused by the one dose of 4.2mg, dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, sliding Down to 0.13mg by 2/13, then 0.07mg since 2/18, 0.06mg 2/20-3/17, 0.13mg 3/18

#61 spectio

spectio

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Locationreno, nevda

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hi, missmellie, what were the results of your vitamin b 12 tests? I know pins and needles sensations are mentioned under low levels. If you have anxiety/ depression issues along with the p& n and your b 12 levels are under 300 you may have a deficiency. I'd love to know your b 12 levels. Mine are under 300 and I have some other odd symptoms, too!
I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

#62 LexAnger

LexAnger

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hmm, why do you think it's associated with VB level, spectio? My B level is too high, 1205 for normal range of 220-960 and I have the worst needling and pin everyday dorm the time I take lex and last for many hours. Im very curious to know the source of the relationship between The two. Thanks!
<p>2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain; Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg, first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg, slight improvement with pain2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR2016 Feb., started fast taper for the drug toxicity caused by the one dose of 4.2mg, dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, sliding Down to 0.13mg by 2/13, then 0.07mg since 2/18, 0.06mg 2/20-3/17, 0.13mg 3/18

#63 MissMellie

MissMellie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

I have had my B12 levels checked and they were fine. I even went to a chiropractor who insisted that I was B12 deficient and told me to buy a vitamin B12 spray, I did this and it made my symptoms worse. Still unsure as to what is causing this or if it is still withdrawal.

#64 LexAnger

LexAnger

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Missmellie, I'm glad you vb is normal. As my doc said high vb can cause tingling/ numb sensation which I was wondering if that is what caused my pin and needling. So it seems still th WD as three of us all have it with low vb, normal vb and high vb. I though it only associated with lex, but now it seems other Ssri can have it too.

I also found yago, breathing helps the most, while alcupuncture/light massage definitely help too. If your doc is Chinese, I am happy to help with an explanation. My Chinese doc can stop the needling pain quickly with light massage, although it comes back every time immediately after I take the dose.

#65 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,594 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

I've had numbness, pins and needles/pain in my right heel for about 2 months.  It started suddenly for no reason.  Was quite bad for a while and the pain would occur when I walked or held my foot in various positions.  Its slowly getting better, there is only slight pain now and the numbness has decreased.

This went away after another month.  But strangely, one day last week, I took a step and suddenly got a sharp pain in the same area and for a few hours this symptom was back.  But this time it only lasted a couple of hours, its gone again now.

A slight numbness of the skin in this area has remained, so perhaps there has been some permanent damage, but the pain went away.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

#66 Serenity23

Serenity23

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

Sharing my recent experience:

About six weeks ago, I began experiencing worsening neurological symptoms, and my doctor thought it could be MS, Lyme, or a vitamin deficiency like B12 from my plant based diet.

I had been on 12mg Zoloft for about 2 years (with a few days of 25mg, 6mg, or skipped doses as a test thrown in there too). Before this happened, I tested myself on 6mg and 0 mg, thinking it was such a low dose, I'd be fine as the psychiatrists have told me that in the past. However, I experienced very bad muscle weakness and soreness in my legs and my arms, pins and needles in my feet and sometimes my hands, (interestingly enough I also had bad pins and needles in my right heel), balance issues when walking, inability to grasp small things like a pen--dropping things, inability to visually focus, inability to project my voice or put full articulate sentences together, one-sided migraine like headaches, with no medical history of neurological issues or migraines.

The worst occurred three weeks ago. I had crashing fatigue, my left arm went lead-like heavy and numb, left hand and fingers tingled, and my speaking was comprehensible but completely slurred. I thought I was having a stroke, but I have no risk factors.  I went to the hospital to be safe. Fortunately, all blood work, MRIs, neurological exams, and other tests have come back normal. I wish I didn't waste the medical professionals' time in the hospital for four days with this, but who knew it was related to SSRI withdrawal?

Within hours of going from 0mg Zoloft (they didn't give me any in the hospital because I told them I was "weaning off" the 12mg) to 25mg per my primary care physician, my speaking ability and voice improved 90%. The other symptoms took about a week to resolve but now all I have left is fatigue probably from whatever I went through neurologically.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety

Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash (diagnosed Hemiplegic Migraine) from Sertraline taper 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Hyponatremia --> ICU six days, Sertraline d/c

Hypomania/extreme anxiety. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline after 3 weeks + Protonix (tapered off)

Holding at 25mg Sertraline so brain can settle

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms-not sure seasonal or withdrawal

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Only given 25mg. Starting taper.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil

#67 LexAnger

LexAnger

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:05 PM

Great post Serenity!
I have been trying years to find relation between dose and the needling, still confused as it seemed occure so randomly. This left me wondering every day weather I'm too low or too high at the dose while handling the severe pain and discomfort from the needling.

So it seems to your case, it is a WD symptoms.

Thanks for sharing

#68 Serenity23

Serenity23

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Great post Serenity!
I have been trying years to find relation between dose and the needling, still confused as it seemed occure so randomly. This left me wondering every day weather I'm too low or too high at the dose while handling the severe pain and discomfort from the needling.

So it seems to your case, it is a WD symptoms.

Thanks for sharing

LexAnger,

I am glad my post was helpful. :)  As you probably saw from my signature, I've been on meds on/off for 20 years and although I've had symptoms going off of them or switching, I never had anything like this happen. The closest I had to this was brain zaps when my psychiatrist weaned me off of Effexor about 6 or 7 years ago when I wasn't feeling depressed or anxious anymore.

I had been taking a Super B Complex the last 2 years, thinking it would help support my nervous system while weaning off of Zoloft. About six weeks ago, however, when I started to have the start of these neurological symptoms, I thought I was B12 deficient from my plant based diet, so I started taking quite a lot of sublingual B12. I also got a B12 shot because I truly thought I was deficient.

Perhaps the extra B12 just made things worse, and that's my fault. Perhaps those of us who have sensitive nervous systems from these SSRIs/SSNRIs could be sensitive to B vitamins supplements, too--just a thought. I have stopped taking both the super B complex and the sublingual B12, and have changed my diet.

It does still seem to be WD symptoms, perhaps made worse by overdoing the B12, as much as I tried to convince myself otherwise. Of all the symptoms people who have seen me are commenting on, it's my voice/speaking they've been commenting the most on. I could not believe how it came back after taking a Zoloft.

Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash (diagnosed Hemiplegic Migraine) from Sertraline taper 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Hypomania/extreme anxiety. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline after 3 weeks + Protonix (tapered off)

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms-not sure seasonal or withdrawal

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Only given 25mg. Starting taper.

#69 LexAnger

LexAnger

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

Thanks again for sharing further your experience/ thoughts! They are valuable.

I found from reading here that most complains about deedling are from lexapro users, another guess almost made me to switch. I'm on a micro taper now cutting 1% every 3-4 weeks and this takes care of most other symptoms but the pain related- needling, jaw, face, head pain etc. you mentioned Vb possibilities another great insight! I had my Vb12 And Vb6 tested early last year and they are way too beyond the normal range. Doctors have no explanation how it possibly happened as I have not been taking them and they are not provided by most of food we eat. This might give us a clue.

So you feel more needling after the b12 shot?
How are you doing otherwise?

#70 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,594 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

Perhaps those of us who have sensitive nervous systems from these SSRIs/SSNRIs could be sensitive to B vitamins supplements, too--just a thought.

This is true, many people find they can't tolerate B vitamins in withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Xanax PRN

#71 Serenity23

Serenity23

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

Thanks again for sharing further your experience/ thoughts! They are valuable.

I found from reading here that most complains about deedling are from lexapro users, another guess almost made me to switch. I'm on a micro taper now cutting 1% every 3-4 weeks and this takes care of most other symptoms but the pain related- needling, jaw, face, head pain etc. you mentioned Vb possibilities another great insight! I had my Vb12 And Vb6 tested early last year and they are way too beyond the normal range. Doctors have no explanation how it possibly happened as I have not been taking them and they are not provided by most of food we eat. This might give us a clue.

So you feel more needling after the b12 shot?
How are you doing otherwise?

That was so strange that your levels were so high! Do your doctors think the high levels are related to the needling? I honestly don't remember if I felt more needling after the B12 shot, but I think my symptoms may have gotten worse when I was over-supplementing the B vitamins and B12 myself as well as the shot. I should never have started to supplement without my labs being checked first. Otherwise I am doing 95% better. I did read online that although B vitamins are water soluble, some of them can actually cause neurological symptoms if taken at too high a dose.

Unsuccessful tapers

#72 Serenity23

Serenity23

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

Perhaps those of us who have sensitive nervous systems from these SSRIs/SSNRIs could be sensitive to B vitamins supplements, too--just a thought.

This is true, many people find they can't tolerate B vitamins in withdrawal.

I had no idea. I was specifically taking them during withdrawal. I have since stopped.

Unsuccessful tapers