SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ schizor: can the brain recover from antipsychotics?

schizor

Ok, whatever.

Your wonderful resilient body and mind WILL heal despite your negative attitude (it may take longer though)

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schizor

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Your wonderful resilient body and mind WILL heal despite your negative attitude (it may take longer though)

An inability to believe that we will heal, seems to be another withdrawal symptom for some people, I don't see it as a negative attitude, but another symptom which will pass in time.  I think its a temporary inability to 'see' beyond our current situation, caused by our diminished cognitive abilities, which will improve over time.

Some people seem to become overwhelmed with negativity when they go into a wave, but then start to feel hopeful again when the wave passes.  Until you are getting good, strong windows, its difficult to hold onto a positive, hopeful attitude.  But try and remember that you are recovering anyway and eventually you will start to feel a little better and then it will be easier to have hopeful, positive thoughts.

You will heal and get your life and personality back.  Maybe it will be a slightly different personality, because of the experience of withdrawal that you are going through, making you a stronger, more compassionate person, but the ability to be happy and content with yourself will return.

You are going to recover, whether you believe it or not, and its going to take as long as it takes, no matter what your attitude is. But dwelling on gloomy, pessimistic ideas, can make it more unpleasant than it needs to be.

When I'm in a bad wave, feeling awful and those thoughts come, telling me that I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life, I push those thoughts away because they make me feel worse than I already do.  At that moment, I still don't think I'm going to recover, but I don't have to keep thinking about it.  Its not true anyway, given enough time, we all get better and at some point in our recovery, we become able to believe it.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

How are you feeling now Schizor? I am also in the same boat as you. I have quit the medication 2 months ago but I don't see much improvement. I don't even get any windows. Hope we will all be better soon.

Started on Zyprexa 15mg in January 2014
Switched to Invega in March 2014
Back to Zyprexa 5mg in June 2014
Quit anti psychotics cold turkey on September 1st 2014 after severe anhedonia and brain fog.

I am feeling worse because lately I can only sleep 3-4 hours a night and wake up in the early hours.I really am sick of the emotional nubmness but I try to distract myself by playing video games and not think about it

9/2013 to 1/2014 on zyprexa,

1/2014 to 3/2014 months on zoloft

cold turkeyd all meds but still suffering from anhedonia

01/2015 recovered, my old self is back

06/2015  better and stronger person 

manic episode and total relapse

• 2 months later...

Are you still feeling the same way Schizor? Have you gotten better? I was also on Zyprexa and quit 4 months ago and have slighty improved but anhedonia is still there. I think it takes a long time to heal and I hope we will all recover.

Quit anti psychotics cold turkey on September 1st 2014 after severe anhedonia and brain fog.

Are you still feeling the same way Schizor? Have you gotten better? I was also on Zyprexa and quit 4 months ago and have slighty improved but anhedonia is still there. I think it takes a long time to heal and I hope we will all recover.

Im still feeling the same and i figured out how to sort of cope with it. I spend all day playing horror pc games or some other which gives me feeling of fear or rush because it seems thats the only thing i can feel.I have also some interest in logical games and computers. My friends have completely forgotten me and I h ave no social life at all. Dont want to either, the feeling is the same when i go out or stay at home. I have gained some weight and some stretch marks because of that but dont care. I know ill do it someday but it wont be soon, for now playing games is so distracting i sometimes forget about the anhedonia

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy to hear you have found a way to cope schizor, that's good news.  I don't think it really matters what we do, as long as we are getting through our days and letting time pass, so that recovery can continue in the background.  When you are feeling better, you can find your friends again, or make new ones.

We have a topic here about Brain Games, perhaps you could add your suggestions to the discussion.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Disregard my last post, Im actually feeling better. Went out with friends and laughed so much.. feels good man

Hi I was on chlopromozine for 3 months 75mg a day. I was also given Quitiapine for a month before. This was with lorazapam 3mg and mirtazapine 45mg. My brain is now fried I believe and I have lost all my family and loved ones. I struggle to funxtion big time and I am

Gettin desperate. I feel in a constant blur and have severe vision problems. Is there anything I can do to get checked out ? I feel majorly brain damaged

There's not much you can do about it I think. I just waited for the moment and the feelings started coming back to me. Before 3 days I was feeling very bad but yestarday I felt so much better and went out for the first time in 8 months... I guess its a window or somethin.. Your post should be your own topic in the introduction.

Holy ****, I feel so good

Wow! This is fantastic news!

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Thanks for the update schizor! Sounds great hope you are able to enjoy life again!!!

This makes me smile!

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

If I continue to feel better might just write a success story. :ph34r:

Does anyone who has recovered know if this fat will ever come off because I really want to loose some weight

I don't think that it will come off by itself I believe it requires working out and reducing calorie intake.

I don't think that it will come off by itself I believe it requires working out and reducing calorie intake.

Yea I mean is my metabolism damaged by the drugs or its the same as before and with normal excercise i can loose the weight which i have gained doing nothing all day.

I have no idea to be honest. I am still recovering and whenever I eat a meal I feel very bloated and uncomfortable. This actually started after I quit the antipsychotics so I'm not sure if it is because of withdrawal. I am wondering if you had the same issue?

Never had any issues with eating. This and gaming was the things that kept me going every day 

Hey there,

I just read of your recent window :) hope your still doing well!!!

Just wanted to drop by for support.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Hey. Still doing pretty good, thanks

Hey. Still doing pretty good, thanks

Good!! :) glad to hear it!

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Administrator

Hurray!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Does anyone who has recovered know if this fat will ever come off because I really want to loose some weight

Hey just workout, start slowly though. I had gained almost 30kgs from all the eating and no excersise and medicines. So far I've lost 8kg of the 30kg I gained. Working out several times a week and I also feel much better. Use the app MyFitnessPal to keep track of your calories and weight loss goals, it helps!

Oct 2013 to March 2014 - Olanzapine, Diazepam

Oct 2013 to May 2014 - Paliperidone

July 2018 - Fall 2018 Paliperidone, Olazapine, Rivotril

September - November 2019 - Paliperidone, Olazapine, Rivotril

June 2020 - August 2020 - Olazapine, Rivotril

June 2020 - Paliperidone, Aca

September 2020 - Paliperidone

November 2020 - Paliperidone

aweso till I finally found people recovering from zyprexa I am so happy for their healing

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys. Im reading all this and Im crying now. tears fall down on my keyboard. I just cant stop. I have a hope now. should I tell my story? where can I do that, and ask for advice? I have a lot of very strange questions. Good luck guys, take care

2.5 years of Risperdal (high dose) 2 years of Abilify 15mg twice a day (before I went crazy 1 year of drug abuse: esctasy, cocaine, weed, lsd, ghb, mescaline) only on weekends by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just workout, start slowly though. I had gained almost 30kgs from all the eating and no excersise and medicines. So far I've lost 8kg of the 30kg I gained. Working out several times a week and I also feel much better. Use the app MyFitnessPal to keep track of your calories and weight loss goals, it helps!

You sure got that right, Im stronger then Ive ever been. The only difference is that I workout everyday.... twice..... 

I can feel joy and sorrow again and I have become a stronger person, thank you for the support for all the members of this wonderful website.

The only things that bothers me now is that my sleep is not as deep as it was but I take naps in the afternoon to feel more fresh.

this is a messege I wrote a member who was asking me if Ive ever return to the way I was before.

It was very rough and Ive experienced so many things that I dont wish to no one. You have seen my thread so you know that.. But when the emotions come back, you actually become stronger and you have more compassion then you ever had. You will also be thankful for everything you feel, once you brain starts recovering from the damage these drugs made. After one year I started feeling lonely again and was even thankful for this emotion. Then I called my friends and we went out. I felt so happy and full of life because I havent seen then for a long time. Then I started doing the things I loved before, I felt joy and sarrow. I listen to music all day now, it just feels so amazing. This will happen to you as well, but you will never be the same person as you were before. You will become a better one. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Schizor, I am extremely happy for you. I remember being very concerned for your well being. It's so good to hear about the turnaround in your recovery and your life. I'm also impressed with how you are making sense of that and the fact you are coming back here to offer hope

Good on you

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Schizor, I'm very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Administrator

Such excellent news, schizor. And you had posted so many times despairing of any improvement!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey there!!!!! Hope you are still feeling sooooooo much better!! Yay!

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this is so awesome! I am so thankful for this website and this is the first forum I have read. I am soooo glad you guys are here for people because my heart hurts for those that has gone through this!! I wish I had found a website  Goingas hopeful as you guys here when I went through this the last couple years. Going off cold turkey, fun stuff. Is there any place or persons in indiana that is like minded??? B.c THIS IS JUST GREAT!!! I remember feeling so hopeless and just staring at web page after web page for days, weeks, and months and finding nothing like this. Schizor I am so happy to see you recover to a stronger you!! I was in grips at the beginning rooting for you, being like, JUST WAIT IT GETS BETTER, THEN BAM!!! Look at that post, lemme put my hands right up in the air and say well done ^_^ B.c. man I know it is aweful and great! Wow again you guys have inspired!! Again, is there anybody that knows ANYBODY in the indiana area, b.c. like when I went through this NO ONE believed me that it was withdrawal so I eventual just had to do the best I could and keep my mouth shut unfortuneately because like who can understand unless your Divine or been there yourself. And wow it would it be nice to just talk back and forth to Understanding. So much learned, so far to go. :) And remember Einstein was shown to have a kinda smaller brain soooo haha ya, there! *sticks tongue at pharma* (but in a good way) lol sorry I am just wowed at this place... aww you guys! finally community :)

Um not sure eactly on the order but invega sustenna was the main one then xannax and clonopin. Haloperidol, Risperdal and a few others I will update the list with more detail later.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Toasted,

Welcome to your/our community.

Can I ask you to open a thread in the introductions forum.  We each have a thread there to introduce ourselves, share some of our story, support each other, touch base, update on progress etc etc.

Can I also ask that you complete your signature - instructions on how to do that are here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Like you, we are delighted that things have turned around for Schizor.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've lost some weight and still feeling good. I love music
,the things,people i loved before i still love
,and even more.

So if you are currently feeling hopeless just give yourself some time and rest, dont push yourself and I think it will work for you because it did work for me. I read my thread today and cant even recall the feeling of voidness and anhedonia, so I believe it will happen to you as well.