SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ schizor: can the brain recover from antipsychotics?

schizor

But I'm sure the rest started after ketilept,the lack of emotions and depersonalization

3 weeks on haloperidol

1.5 months on seroquel

1.5 months on triftazin or so I cant rember very good.That was the medication last year in the beggining of 2016 then I left cols turkey then after a year again on risperdal 1 month on 4 mg then 2 months on 2 mg at the day and wanna quit cold turkey

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schizor

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• dalsaan

Hi schizor,how you feeling now? I wanted to ask you few questions,when you started recovering did you felt back your old self?or at least half of your personality back?your hobbies and stuff?

3 weeks on haloperidol

1.5 months on seroquel

1.5 months on triftazin or so I cant rember very good.That was the medication last year in the beggining of 2016 then I left cols turkey then after a year again on risperdal 1 month on 4 mg then 2 months on 2 mg at the day and wanna quit cold turkey

• 11 months later...

I used to be very happy and funny guy who loved dancing and enjoyed going out with friends until one night I got drunk

and someone put drugs in my drinks.I still dont know what that drug was but I felt like my legs were burning and I became very agressive and delusional.I got locked up for trying to brake into a house and send into a mental hospital.

I was forced to take zyprexa for 3 months and after that zoloft for 2 months.

Since then I lost all feelings and emotions. For all I mean: fear, love, hate, envy,everithing.I've Lost all my friends. No desire to live, I feel like an empty shell. Complete lack of creativity, lack of social skills

Lack of empathy, lack of motivation and a sense of accomplishment.

5 months ago I stopped taking zyprexa but I have no improvement and Im beginning to think that my brain is permanently damaged by these drugs.

Is there any hope that my brain will recover?

Schizor,

Have your symptoms improved any at all?

Dec 2016 Risperidone 1 mg, Seroquel 25mg, Latuda 40mg 

Jan - Mar 2017 Paliperidone (invega) 6 -9mg, Zoloft, Mirtazapine, Proprananol, Ativan

Mar - Apr 2017 Aripiprazole (abilify) 10 mg

Apr 2017 - July 2017 Olanzapine (zyprexa) 5 mg tapered to 0mg

Oct 2017 - Present Effexor 37.5mg and Prozac 10mg 

• 4 months later...

anyone know what happened to schizor ?

Risperidone - started at 10mg

Decreased to 1mg within the month

Abilify - started at 10mg

Decreased to 1mg

[Oct - Nov 2016]

Continued for approx. 2 - 3 weeks upon psych ward release

Invega injection one time

[Feb 2017]

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Where is schizor? This guy used to give me some hope..anyone knows him? 

Was on zyprexa and fluanxol ,imipramine for 8 months. Got off all! Still have issues with cognition, insomnia and fatigue, depression.

-no supplements

-no sugar/caffein

Quit zyprexa at the end of 2016 ..it was a combination with a tricylic antidepressant and felt hell since then..couple months and it will be 2 years off that poison..but im afraid that recovery could takes so long..beyond my expectations

Was on zyprexa and fluanxol ,imipramine for 8 months. Got off all! Still have issues with cognition, insomnia and fatigue, depression.

-no supplements

-no sugar/caffein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Wassimlapino,

Would you like to start a thread for yourself in the Introduction forum, so we can help with your situation there?   

What we find is that people heal much better when they work on learning really good self-care.  There's a lot of ideas about that on this thread:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

Welcome to SA - hope to meet you in your own thread soon,

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 year later...

I hope Schizor comes back some time with an update...

Hoping all is well.

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

• 11 months later...

He may have simply decided to move on with his life after feeling better. 

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

• 3 years later...

Hi Everyone, schizor here, I am here to tell you that recovery is possible but requires a lot of hard work.

I have come a long way in understanding my condition and I believe I have recovered.

First, the sad news:

Getting rid of prescription drugs won't get rid of the problem, I have bipolar and my full story is very different then what I'm describing in my first post. 

In 2016 it got very clear to me that even without drugs, my mood was cycling.

I had periods of highly elevated manic state and periods of depression where I didn't want to do anything and had no motivation.

The psychosis I was talking about in my first post wasn't the reason because someone spiked my drink, it was the end result of a manic episode getting out of control.

Anyway, so in 2017 I found some meds which helped me manage my condition, it was trileptal (oxcarbazepine) and I it kept my mood not going off the charts but I still had symptoms of depression.

Then I decided to do a very thorough research about neuroscience.

I found out that trying to integrate past traumatic experiences helps a lot in calming the mind.

What I also found out is that trauma gets stored as tension in the body and stretching helps a lot.

There is a book, "The Body Keeps the Score" it's author is a psychiatrist and researcher. I got a lot of insights from that book.

What followed was a 3 year old journey where I practiced meditation which I believe is the reason of my recovery.

What I did was a specific type of meditation called zhan zhuang standing meditation and getting rid of tension in my body allowed me to release tension in my mind and recover, it was a long process but very fun.

This is a message I've send a friend when they ask me what's the trigger for my manic episode, that I will share.

It's more complex than just a trigger I have to break it down.
The trigger was a built up of a lot of powefull emotions which the conscious mind was not able to handle.
There really is a place where your mind stores all things which it can't handle.
But it's not visible, I had to spend a lot of time in standing meditation every day for at least one year
to begin to see it.
Tension in your nervous system is connected to your breathing which is connected to your body posture
and chemicals in your brain which are connected to your inner emotions.
Have you ever been depressed and noticed your body?
It's like condensed, broken down.
google kyphosis.
I have read a study that confirm a link between kyphosis and depression,
I'll find it and send it to you later.
Anyway in a nutshell the objective of standing for prolonged periods is to open up the tensed up nerveous system.
You go to different phases when you do that and it's a whole another topic in itself.
It happens gradually.
The tensed up nerveous system is state which happens because your unconcious mind was trying to protect itself from something.
Notice your body when you see a dog barking at you for example.
It tenses up, it's trying to protect itself, getting ready for fight or flight.
In a traumatic event this tensions sticks, builds up, adds up over time.
And you're always in a constant fight or flight mode, more or less.

9/2013 to 1/2014 on zyprexa,

1/2014 to 3/2014 months on zoloft

cold turkeyd all meds but still suffering from anhedonia

01/2015 recovered, my old self is back

06/2015  better and stronger person 

manic episode and total relapse