Altostrata

Be careful with l-tyrosine

24 posts in this topic

Tyrosine can be very activating, see http://www.livestrong.com/article/448045-l-tyrosine-side-effects/

Anxiety
Unusual anxiety may happen as a side effect of this amino acid, the Nutritional Supplements Help Guide reports. While this amino acid influences cognitive abilities, it still acts as a stimulant to your central nervous system. The ingestion of L-tyrosine can increase impulses in your nerve center of your body. Increased feelings of fear and panic may occur with use of this product on a regular basis.

Personally, I recently developed a sensitivity to tyrosine and its child tyramine, found in fermented foods, preserved foods, and other foods. If I eat substantial amounts of tyramine, it will keep me awake with a pounding heart.

Tyrosine and tyramine-containing foods also trigger migraines in some people.

You don't want to do this to yourself. Watch out for l-tyrosine.

How did you figure out your sensitivity was Tyrosine and not something else? were you taking a supplement or were you eating certain foods and it triggered symptoms? Thanks for the heads up Alto.

Certain foods high in tyramine.

have you had your thyroid checked (including antibodies)? it may happen with people who have Hashimoto's. tyrosine effects thyroid hormons and people with Hashimoto feel hypothyroid as well as hyperthyroid symtoms. too much activation with tyrosine can be a hyperthyroid symptom. 

rapunzel, what are your sources for that information?

gee, I don't remember exactly. I think it was the book "Mood cure", which discusses amino acids. 

Please always supply references so people can verify the information you provide.

What benefits do you expect from tyrosine, and why? Please give references.

relief from tiredness. it should stimulate thyroid and also dopamine production (although I know the neurotransmitter inbalance theory is wrong). source: "mood cure" book. 

I haven't felt any effects from it though. tryptophan seems to be far more effective for me. but of course, it's early to tell, too. 

What benefits do you expect from tyrosine, and why? Please give references.

L-Tyrosine is a precursor to norepinephrine, which increases energy, alertness, clarity of mind, motivation, etc.  I get that effect when I take high doses of Sudafed, which also increases norepinephrine.  Unfortunately, Sudafed or pseudoephedrine also causes insomnia.  And as I recently learned, it is anticholinergic, and relaxes smooth muscle tissue. Good for urinary incontinence or urgency. Bad for GERD or any kind of reflux problems.  I found this info on a clinical GI motility site.

This was my recent experience with L-Tyrosine. After a week of taking 750 mg, along with 100 mg of 5-HTP, I developed severe reflux, burping, and regurgitation accompanied with chest pain and a feeling that food was getting stuck in my lower esophagus.  I had also been on Allegra for a month at that point, which is also anticholinergic and can worsen reflux, heartburn, and GERD.  

I stopped both the Allegra and the L-Tyrosine, but continued to suffer with the same symptoms for over two months now.  Slowly my body has been going back to normal. But I still don't know what happened and if it was the L-Tyrosine or the Allegra.  I have ruled out 5-HTP since through research I found out that Serotonin is actually a natural pro-motility agent and promotes peristalsis.  (I can't find the link to the website right nowl)

Could L-tyrosine help akathisia? Due to its effect on dopamine? I want to try it, but I'm afraid of worsening my symptoms. 

The problem with l-tyrosine, as I found out recently, is that it can be metabolized in many different directions. How you metabolize it depends on a zillion factors, your genome among them.

It's one of those things that make some people feel better, and some worse.

A bad reaction to tyrosine has nothing to do with thyroid status, although for people who are hyperthyroid (Graves) it's probably not a good idea to even try it.

Has anyone tried L-tyrosine for apathy/low motivation? Or other supplements for dopamine? I searched it inthe forum and it gave me 0 results...

What Alto mentioned about tyramine reminded me of the reaction people taking MAOIs have when they eat things containing tyramine (like dangerously high blood pressure). It might mean either her system is sensitive to (or withdrawal has sensitized her to) the same processes in the brain that react to MAOIs.

I realize stimulants are not a good thing if your withdrawal issues are mostly related to over-arousal (like anxiety). Mine are mostly related to apathy so people who have this might react differently. In my experience so far, things that used to stimulate me before I experienced withdrawal no longer have a mood or energy stimulationg effect on me. They might keep me up at night, but other than that they don't stimulate much.

I will try the tyrosine but if I develop insomnia won't keep taking it. I have trouble swleeping at night to start with because I'm a night owl and don't need anything that will make that worse.

If any of you has tried it, could you share if the insomnia goes away? Or how it has helped you?

Reading about dopamine, it seems everything I'm experiencing sounds like a problem with that neurotransmitter. I realize neurotransmitters are all connected (like hormones) and it's more an issue of their balance rather than a "deficiency" of one. So just increasing dopamine production might not do much. Just not sure what else to do.

Has anyone tried L-tyrosine for apathy/low motivation? Or other supplements for dopamine? I searched it inthe forum and it gave me 0 results...

I tried tyrosine, It made me anxious and sweaty... I normally don't sweat much at all.  It also gave me a body odor I'd never smelled before.  Beware.  

The problem with l-tyrosine, as I found out recently, is that it can be metabolized in many different directions. How you metabolize it depends on a zillion factors, your genome among them.

It's one of those things that make some people feel better, and some worse.

A bad reaction to tyrosine has nothing to do with thyroid status, although for people who are hyperthyroid (Graves) it's probably not a good idea to even try it.

One of the ways tyrosine can be metabolized is to tyramine. For some people, this will be very uncomfortable -- like the type of food reaction you might get if you were taking an MAOI.

I might have had a bad reaction to l-tyrosine too. I'm having more anxiety, which I did not have before at all. Not sure it's caused by the l-tyrosine (could be other things) and this only began 2 months after starting l-tyrosine.

If it is due to l-tyrosine, anyone has an idea how long it will take for this side effect to go away now that I'm no longer on l-tyrosine?

thanks!

To glean some ideas of what tyrosine problems and possible reactions to supplements I took up Tyrosinemia....yes it is all ball park not the direct base still I have learned helpful things this way. One thing always lead to another on the web and often I find the gems live there following leads. 

Tyrosinemia is genetic issue same thing I read about mitochondria when I first started seeking how to heal myself from this years ago...mitochondria too was thought to be a gentic disorder.  One day I found a science article stating porzac causes mitochondria disorders and I will not be surprised at all to find the same with tyrosine... I actually may have posted the proper evidence article but due to my own crappy brain power just now I can't think straight ... it took me ages today to remember the word mitochondria... something that came easily a short time ago... as easy as spelling my own name ...now again I struggle with it.  For me it comes and goes this round has been especially long. 

tyrosinemia

Tyrosinemia is a genetic disorder characterized by disruptions in the multistep process that breaks down the amino acid tyrosine, a building block of most proteins. If untreated, tyrosine and its byproducts build up in tissues and organs, which can lead to serious health problems.

There are three types of tyrosinemia, which are each distinguished by their symptoms and genetic cause. Tyrosinemia type I, the most severe form of this disorder, is characterized by signs and symptoms that begin in the first few months of life. Affected infants fail to gain weight and grow at the expected rate (failure to thrive) due to poor food tolerance because high-protein foods lead to diarrhea and vomiting. Affected infants may also have yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice), a cabbage-like odor, and an increased tendency to bleed (particularly nosebleeds). Tyrosinemia type I can lead to liver and kidney failure, softening and weakening of the bones (rickets), and an increased risk ofliver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma). Some affected children have repeated neurologic crises that consist of changes in mental state, reduced sensation in the arms and legs (peripheral neuropathy), abdominal pain, and respiratory failure. These crises can last from 1 to 7 days. Untreated, children withtyrosinemia type I often do not survive past the age of 10.

Tyrosinemia type II can affect the eyes, skin, and mental development. Signs and symptoms often begin in early childhood and include eye pain and redness, excessive tearing, abnormal sensitivity to light (photophobia), and thick, painful skin on the palms of their hands and soles of their feet (palmoplantar hyperkeratosis). About 50 percent of individuals with tyrosinemia type II have some degree of intellectual disability.

Tyrosinemia type III is the rarest of the three types. The characteristic features of this type include intellectual disability, seizures, and periodic loss of balance and coordination (intermittent ataxia).

About 10 percent of newborns have temporarily elevated levels of tyrosine (transient tyrosinemia). In these cases, the cause is not genetic. The most likely causes are vitamin C deficiency or immature liver enzymes due to premature birth.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/tyrosinemia

Check the last line liver enzymes same old common denominators keep popping up.  Many people who have taken ADs have a thyroid problem this is listed on all these drug as a side effect. 

I believe I have already posted a science article stating 

ADs alter the way our bodies use the above I just can't find it. 

peace

has anyone had any experience with l tyrosine for depression , read some good stuff on it was wondering if it was worth trying a small dose , I can't seem to find anything in the symptoms and self care section on it ,

I, too, have read "the mood cure" when starting the tapering process. Has anyone else read it and what thoughts do you have? 

Posted (edited)

Has anyone used it as a supplement ? Is it any good ? Some people say its a very good cure for Anhedonia . Im thinking of giving it a shot . Any suggestions ?

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

You should research it thoroughly before taking tyrosine. Depending on your physiology, it can be stimulating in an uncomfortable way.

Please post your findings about tyrosine in this topic.