SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ joy2730: withdrawing from citalopram, quetiapine

joy2730

• Moderator Emeritus

Joy I'm really concerned about your constant jumping around with doses.

It seems that every time you feel increase in symptoms (which is understandable), you react by changing a dose expecting that a higher or lower dose will fix you. Any you continue to do so despite your many experiences to the contrary. In almsot evry post (including your signature) you say that you intend to hold this for a long time. But unfortunately it seems that resolves lasts only till symptoms get more intense. In teh same way, it seems you start reducing when you start feeling better.

Just look at all the jumping you did over the past week: 9 Sept. 10 mg

12 Sept. 20 mg

unspecified date 15 mg

16 Sept. 20 mg.

Are you aware that you will be symptomatic for some (possibly longer time) regardless of the dose you take? 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Joy, Just skimmed your thread...as a "poly drugger" myself, I found it disturbing that on top of these changes, you recently stopped lithium. Successfully coming off lots of drugs takes years usually...let these knowledgeable people help you. We are cheering for you!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Further update, I seem to be settling nicely at 20mg citalopram, sweating and headaches are really settling down now, but waking up a bit more in the night and a bit earlier in the morning.  Well, it gives me a bit more time in the mornings, a definite plus.

The severity of my wd symptoms remains a shock, but once you know what you are up against it makes it easier to be cautious, and to be able to recognise them again in the future.

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

• Administrator

That's very good news, joy.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Update for everyone following;

it has now been 2 weeks and a few days of me being at 20 mg following my sudden onset of withdrawal symptoms and this has been my first day of feeling completely well.

I continue to be surprised at how severe the symptoms have been and as I need to continue my life without such severe interruptions am going to continue at this dose for some time.  Apparently withdrawal symptoms can be delayed, they are busy building up unknown to the patient.

I have in fact reduced by 1/3 in total, but have learnt too much, and the hard way.  I FELT VERY ILL for 2 days, so ill my husband had to 'fetch and carry' for me.

• Administrator

That is the classic symptom pattern of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I am beginning to think that taking citalopram at 30mg has been affecting my cognition more that I realised.  Last night I went to a building I had been to numerous times before and noticed a child's play room to one side, which I had never noticed before.  Is this possible, is my mind waking up a bit, or am I just imagining it?

• 4 weeks later...

Back again, I stablilised on 20 mg for quite a while, and am now reducing again, and am taking 17.5 mg now, by cutting tablets up.  When I was back on the 20 mg I missed the mental sharpness that I had acquired from taking less citalopram.

However, I have learnt to go much more slowly, take many weeks between dosages and look out for headaches, dizziness and sweating and slow down if any of these do not resolve easily or become too bad.  I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO TAKE ANY MORE SICK DAYS.

Hope all is well as it can be with everyone else, I credit the success I have had to date with the knowledge this site has given me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you are doing well Joy, hope it continues for you.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

So far, so good, slight headache this morning, took 2 paracetamol pills and that sorted it, last time I tried to withdraw I stuck with headaches and took loads of painkillers, this time I am going to use the headache as a signal of how I am getting on with the withdrawal and adjust my programme accordingly.

• Moderator Emeritus

Joy, you have jumped around so much on dosages just since August, especially recently with all the jumps around 20, 10, 15--that is a LOT of constant change to your CNS which has to constantly adapt. I suspect you are going to have waves and windows of symptoms for a number of months to come still just from all the stuff you have changed lately. Plus coming off the lithium. Plus that rapid taper from the citalopram down to 2.5 over the summer.

Your CNS has been through the wringer and has definitely not had time to recover. I think it's way too soon to start another taper. I think you should hold six months at the very least. During that time you will continue to have withdrawal symptoms and ups and downs due to the instability caused by all the changes you have already made.

Of course this is just my opinion, but I've seen a LOT of people go through this stuff. The path you're on generally leads to people ending up on more drugs than they were on to begin with. Please think about this and be more cautious.

You yourself admit that you are not cognitively where you would like to be. Please consider the possibility that you might not be making the best decisions for yourself.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I understand what you are saying but don't agree, I am well and doing well, I feel reluctant to share my story any further, which is a shame because clearly a lot of people have been following it.

I wish you all all the best and thank you for the advice given, but I will not be taking this particular piece of advice

• Administrator

Good to hear you're feeling well, joy.

Please treat your nervous system very gently. I think Rhi is saying it might need time to recover and get stronger before any more drug changes.

Whether you choose to do this is up to you.

Please do let us know how it's going.

Just a quick update, so far, so good on 17.5 mg citalopram instead of 20 mg.  Only one withdrawal symptom so far, a slight headache a few days ago, two paracetamol sorted that, and since then I have felt absolutely fine.  I even sleep better with less citalopram in me, it is as if my body can relax more and is not so 'hyped up.  However, I know it is early days, and I am going to stick at this dose for a long time.

Knowledge is a tremendous power and the knowledge from my previous experience is standing me in good stead now. My GP whose diagnosed withdrawal syndrome offered that I could see my favourite GP for withdrawal supervision, but I don't feel the need, and quite frankly don't think the GP would recognise the small reductions needed and the long intervals between reductions.  Sometimes I think the safest place to be is as far away from a GP as possible!  THEY ARE NOT GOD.

Years ago I struggled and struggled to get off valium, with GPs giving me tapering help, but looking back at too fast a pace to work.  When the internet came along I used something from Heather Ashton of Newcastle University as a guide, and was totally successful.  Sad, isn't it?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joy,

Thank you for the update, I'm glad you are doing well, I agree with you that its sad, and disgraceful actually that we have to turn to the internet for help to safely get off these drugs. 

When you get a chance, please would you update your signature with your updose to 20mg and latest reduction.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

For the benefit of anyone following, I am fine, felt a bit too hot in bed last night and felt hot tonight, also have TERRIBLE CONSTIPATION, but to be fair to my GP he is the only who told me withdrawal can cause constipation.  Laxatives aren't really helping, I am not normally obsessive about bowel movements at all, even though I am a health care worker, but this is not normal.

Other than that, I am doing fine!

• Moderator Emeritus

Magnesium is something that many people find helps with withdrawal, but its also very good to relieve constipation if you take enough. Increase the dose slowly until the desired effect is achieved, then take that amount daily.  See:

Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Just for anyone following, I am doing just fine on my 17.5 mg, a lot more energy than at 20 mg, or is that just my imagination?  My thinking is a lot clearer and I am going to try the magnesium, I have bought some Andrews liver salts which I think are magnesium.

I am still feeling well, some tingling in my face today, but not even unpleasant really.

By the way the magnesium has really helped my constipation, but I did go for a bit of a run last night, so who knows?, but I am going to carry on with the magnesium.

Thanks to the member who suggested it!

Mood fine, brain alert, doesn't get much better than this.

Take care everyone

Fine again today, slight headache so took ibuprofen and had a spell of feeling very hot, but other than that just fine.

I hope these entries are showing that some symptoms come on long after the actual dose reduction and so you have to have long enough between each dose reduction to allow these symptoms to resolve.

• Administrator

Yes, magnesium can help constipation.

We suggest people make reductions monthly because we know it can take a while for withdrawal symptoms to show up. Some people need frequent holds to get over the rough patches and allow symptoms to resolve.

Going well, no headache, dizziness, hot flushing today, just normal, perhaps this means things are levelling out for me at 17.5 mg, but this time round I am not rushing to make any more reductions for a long time.

Take care everyone, SLOWNESS is definitely the name of the game.

Honesty is also the name of the game, and for anyone following this, I need to be honest.  Today I only took 15 mg citalopram, mainly because I didn't have enough time to fiddle on cutting my pills this morning, and feel OK, so I am going to continue with this tomorrow. 

This afternoon I just had a wave of nausea when I bent over quickly but that soon passed, and I have been eating normally and slept well last night, and in general.

I am using sleep, appetite and body weight as a monitor of my health, as well as mood.

So far OK, I felt I was going to stay at 17.5 mg longer than this, but am now doing 15 mg.  This time I am watching for withdrawal symptoms much more actively.

Hope everyone is OK and that anyone following my story is learning a lot.  I am really struggling with my weight, so hopefully reducing the citalopram will help.  I will let you know..

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you did well with the reduction to 17.5, which is great news and a good sign for the future. You know what to do if the 15 mg turns out to be too much for you. But people sometimes can do okay with a bit faster taper at the higher doses, so you might be okay. Hang in there, it sounds like you're getting the hang of things!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

So far so good on 15 mg citalopram.  Noticed today though I have been a bit more forgetful but nothing serious, and my brain feels slightly 'different', I can tell I have altered something.

So far, so good, doing well on 15mg citalopram, as opposed to 17.5mg.  One or two slight episodes of mild sweating and sickness, very very mild headache, took nothing for it, just had a good rest and a little sleep in the middle of the day, fortunately due to the nature of my work I was able to do this, and then felt fine.  Just mini symptoms of the huge same symptoms  I had when I did a more rapid taper, SO A SLOWER TAPER RESULTS IN LESS SEVERE SYMPTONS, or so it seems to be.

If the severity of w/d symptoms can be reduced by slowing the taper down, then power and control is given back to the individual, and that is worth everything.

Going well, today I had a spell in the middle of the morning of feeling sick, dizzy and with a mild headache, also some sweating, so I ate something wholesome for my blood sugar levels and drank plenty of water, and in about 20 mins it passed, then I felt fine.  Very much milder than when I did a more rapid taper.

Take care everyone, by the way I think I am looking a lot more beautiful for reducing citalopram, but I think what  I really mean is I look healthier.

• Administrator

Yes, you absolutely are looking more beautiful!

So far, so good, doing well on 15mg citalopram, as opposed to 17.5mg.  One or two slight episodes of mild sweating and sickness, very very mild headache, took nothing for it, just had a good rest and a little sleep in the middle of the day, fortunately due to the nature of my work I was able to do this, and then felt fine.  Just mini symptoms of the huge same symptoms  I had when I did a more rapid taper, SO A SLOWER TAPER RESULTS IN LESS SEVERE SYMPTONS, or so it seems to be.

If the severity of w/d symptoms can be reduced by slowing the taper down, then power and control is given back to the individual, and that is worth everything.

Well put, joy -- help us get this across to newcomers.

Just a bit of nausea at tea time and concurrently tingling all over my body, but it passed by having a balanced meal and some rest.

Sleeping fine, which I am using as a barometer.

• Moderator Emeritus

I use sleep as a barometer too--it's a good one. Glad you're getting sleep, it makes everything else so much better.

Advice Needed:  Today I have not felt as good, last night I slept badly and have felt tired all today, also I have a distinct loss of appetite and a flattening of my mood, not good.  I am still only taking 15mg citalopram and thought I was doing well, can anyone with more experience than me let me know if this is normal for withdrawal or am I heading for trouble? After tomorrow afternoon I am out of internet for a few days, I will catch up with you all Tuesday night.

Take care, just a little blip!

• Administrator

Withdrawal symptoms come in waves and windows. Unless this pattern continues, it is a blip.

Must have been a blip, only lasted a day at the most, fine after a good sleep.  It has crossed my mind though that in reducing an antidepressant an individual is exposing themselves not only to withdrawal symptoms but also to a return of the original anxiety/depression disorder and that teasing these details can be difficult, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth trying, as I am benefiting greatly in cognitive awareness from my reduction.

Take care everyone.

Really good day today, no withdrawal symptoms and best of all my thinking is a lot clearer, but I will be staying on 15 mg for a long time.

So my recent spell of feeling low was temporary.

Another good day today, sleep, appetite and mood all normal and thinking much more clearly still.  Hopefully I am settled on 15mg citalopram now.

Hello Joy,

I'm glad things are going well for you!

Good luck!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.