☼ joy2730: withdrawing from citalopram, quetiapine

joy2730

That is awesome Joy that you are feeling so well.

I'm so glad you got to see your granddaughter. 

We went home over the weekend to celebrate my fiancés dads 90th birthday and I'm a little nauseaous today and wheapy. I didn't get to see me granddaughter, they were up camping and fishing. I'm sure that caused it. But I got to see pictures, she was having so much fun! 

I's so hot (98) that you can't go outside, so at least I have my little chihuahua, the air conditioning and tv lol...

I'ts  really hard to leave home to come back to this place, where I have nothing.

I hope I didn't ruin your day, please accept my apology for venting.

Have a great day. :)

(((HUGS)))

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

17 hours ago, joy2730 said:

Another update feeling really well today fitness class and seeing Esme.  I feel fine - have a very slight dizziness now and then and my right arm was very itchy last night so I took an antihistamine for it.  I don't understand the relationship between antihistamines allergies and SSRIS but I suspect there is one.

I am doing swim and sauna and spin in the morning.  My mood is super and stable.

Joy:

That is awesome that you are feeling so well, and doing all the exercises!

I'm glad you got to see your granddaughter, what a treat. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Hi Frogie 

Yes all is good with me.  I do get tired though - I guess that maybe withdrawal too.

All the exercise is keeping me fit and giving me stamina and muscles but doesn't really help with weight.  I will have to get further down with citalopram before I see any changes there.

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

5 minutes ago, joy2730 said:

Hi Frogie 

Yes all is good with me.  I do get tired though - I guess that maybe withdrawal too.

All the exercise is keeping me fit and giving me stamina and muscles but doesn't really help with weight.  I will have to get further down with citalopram before I see any changes there.

I'm not losing any weight, it all came back. Must have been water weight.

I'm on a much lower dose than you, I hope I lose weight. 

Glad you are doing well. :)

Take care,

Frogie

My Fitness Classes are indeed making me a bit too muscly now so I am going on to cardio next week instead, and reinstating my swimming and sauna more.  Some of my fat has turned to muscle but I don't want too much muscle.  I have met some great women and men at the fitness classes so will keep going but not as much as I have been doing.  It is,  to be honest, a great distraction because all the time I am in the classes I don't think about withdrawal at all, and it all makes me sleep like a log. 

I am beginning to think we need tired bodies to help us sleep better and that the style of modern day life lends itself more to tired minds and not tired bodies. 

My 18 mg continues to suit me and I don't have any withdrawal symptoms at all at present.

At the end of this week I will have been at 18 mg for about 4 weeks, so need to think of a plan.  On a 10% basis that would take me down to 16.2 mg but that would be far too much for me, so I think it will be 17.5 mg for me from Saturday coming.  It is so hard to balance the need for making process with doing it slowly enough to avoid symptoms.  I should perhaps wait a further 4 weeks at 18 mg to give anything untoward time to emerge instead of leaping to go down again so soon.  I guess a lot of people struggle with knowing what to do for the best.  I had never realised reactions could be delayed by months, that was a shock, I remember saying to my GP, 'Do you know there is a time delay when you reduced citalopram' and he said 'Yes' in a tone that meant 'Doesn't everyone know that?' but not nastily.  I saw him as an emergency the first time all the withdrawal symptoms had crept up on me, and I actually threw up in the surgery.  To be fair my local doctors are fully aware of withdrawal issues, but can come up with nothing more than 'reinstate and then do it slower'.

I am going to see Esme for an hour tonight before I head off for a few days work, I also have two 'hourly calls' to make, one tonight and one in the morning.  Esme has given so much meaning to my life, I do hope life/genes are kind to her.  There is a history of learning difficulties in my son in law's family and while we would love her no matter what, I do want her not to have too much stacked against her from the start. 

Take good care, especially Flowers and Frogie, writing my story and hearing bits of yours gives me great comfort.  We are all are in different parts of the world, but struggling with the same issues, which means we are not alone at all.

Joy

Hi Joy:

I'm so happy you can continue your exercise. I have a Pilates machine and stationary bike sitting here staring at me, and I just can't seem to get the energy to do it.

You are doing so well with your withdrawl, I wouldn't want to "rock the boat" either if I were you.

I've had a bit of nausea the last couple of days. But it goes away fairly quickly. And very weepy. I think it's all related to everything that has happened since memorial weekend. Now that no one is around, I don't know what to do with myself lol...

I'm so glad you get to see your granddaughter tonight. Give her a big squeeze from me.

Even though you, Flowers and I are in different parts of the world, we are helping each other. You have no idea how much I appreciate the kind words. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Still doing well on 18 mg.  Staying put for another 4 weeks.  Decision made.  Feeling really well.

Good stuff Joy.

I noticed that after a month on 18mg last time you needed to increase - not this time! Well done. It's so good to hear you're doing well. Another month on 18mg can only make you stronger.

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

Still doing really well on 18 mg, my sleep has never been better and I am working away from home.

My weight is up a pound which is not paradoxical weight gain, but my fault.  I  have never learnt the skill of weight control.  I was always very underweight as I was so ill mentally and nothing helped me and then when I got meds that did appear to help I ballooned and blamed it all on the meds.  Now I am starting to realise that I was in fact making very poor choices about food and always was able to say 'Its the meds'.  The penny is starting to drop - slowly.  It is not so much an eating disorder as a lack of awareness/knowledge/education about food and exercise.  But it is a skill like any other and I will learn it and use it.

Perhaps someone else on this site has had a similar experience, if you think about it carefully and reflect, it is a way of moving forward in another area of life.

Our bodies are the 'shop window' of our mind/life style, as well as the carrier for our brain.  We need our bodies to be well to allow us to live well.  The brain/stomach link is being recognised and look at more and more, there is still a lot to learn though.  So as well as reducing citalopram I am learning such a lot about myself.  In a nutshell citalopram does not make my bad food choices, I do, but of course citalopram can influence that bad food choice.  Isn't it interesting.

So that is me good for the day, Frogie hope you have sorted out your blip with your fiancée and the tears are not too bad, Flowers have a great window and Genlady I will look at your cosmetics website.  I love cosmetics.

Joy

Still doing well on 18 mg citalopram, it feels like a good place to be.  Mood is stable and no sign of DR/DP which I experienced last time at 18 mg.

I am feeling positive but so glad I have decided to hold another 4 weeks.  I have been a fool for rushing on and forward all the time previously.

Joy

3 hours ago, joy2730 said:

Still doing well on 18 mg citalopram, it feels like a good place to be.  Mood is stable and no sign of DR/DP which I experienced last time at 18 mg.

I am feeling positive but so glad I have decided to hold another 4 weeks.  I have been a fool for rushing on and forward all the time previously.

Joy

Hi Joy:

I'm glad you are doing so well. And decided to hold.

Usually, I try and taper a little each month, but everything that's happened lately, I've decided to hold a little longer too.

I hope you had a nice weekend. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 hour ago, Frogie said:

Hi Joy:

I'm glad you are doing so well. And decided to hold.

Usually, I try and taper a little each month, but everything that's happened lately, I've decided to hold a little longer too.

I hope you had a nice weekend. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie

There is nothing wrong in holding, some people think it is the most important part of tapering.  Sometimes when I move my head quickly I get a 'dragging' sensation as if something is going on in there, so I think there are adjustments still going on.

If when I started this journey 3 years ago I had taken it more slowly, I would be in a much better place now.

I am sorry you had an odd weekend, perhaps this next one will be far better.  You haven't mentioned weeping, perhaps the tears have eased off at present, in which case that is an improvement.  I am just beginning to realise that withdrawal can bring on 'false' emotions, tears and 'false' feelings, eg anger or anxiety. 

I understand you don't work, which I think is good when withdrawing from these meds.  I always run back to the full dose as I am afraid of missing work, which is worse now in as I am working in a self employed way.  On the other hand working is a distraction and I really enjoy my work.  I guess it is like anything else in life, there are two ways of looking at everything. 

Have you found it harder to taper as you have got down to lower dosages or just the same?

I sometimes feel as if my metabolism is speeding up a bit on this lower dose, I hope so as I have felt so lethargic on citalopram, I just want to sit and do nothing and have to force myself to do anything, so it is not good.  I feel embarrassed about my bottom. My bottom is a disgusting size and shape and I blame that on citalopram, but we will see in that if that is really the case or not.

I am spending tomorrow with my daughter and granddaughter, Esme, we are going shopping for paints for my new kitchen.  I work away such a lot my daughter and husband have had to choose the kitchen units and tiles, all budget quality, as I am not into posh houses and kitchens, I am the sort of person who lives in my mind more.  I trust their judgement and just need it to be clean and tidy.  Then we are going to see my mother and my aunty who live near each other.  Then in the evening I am babysitting for Esme, so we can have some time together.  It paints a happy family picture but both my mother and aunty have never understood my mental problems previously, so there are undercurrents there.

I have a new client to go to on Friday.

If I could carry on reducing and feel as well as this I will do well, but I guess every so often the symptoms will build up and become more apparent?

Your internet friend wishing you well.  Joy

Hi Joy:

It never hurts to do a slow taper at all. I did a fast taper once and regreted it for a long time. I started over, where if I would have tapered slower, I could have been a lot lower now. Learned a valuable lesson.

Thats awesome that you are getting a new kitchen. We are eventually remodeling our bathroom, but I need dental work first. It's always one thing or another lol...

I hope you had fun with your granddaughter. They are so much fun. Mine will be 10 next month. I can't believe it. I remember the day she was born. I hope it went well with your mom and aunty. It's touchy when they don't understand.

I haven't been weepy for a few days. So I'm sure I'll have something else pop up, just hasn't reared its ugly head yet.

Hope you got your paint picked out. I'm sure your kitchen will be beautiful.

Hope you're feeling well. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Ihi Frogie

Yes today finds me well.  Also went well with my mother and aunty.  Little Esme has become a bit of a healing force - mending a few family rifts and greviences.   I didn't get the paint today as we ran out of time socialising so I am going tomorrow now.

It is odd - I feel.much more confident socially since reducing my citalopram yet others take it for social anxiety.  

Quick question for you Frogie  - when you were crying a lot was that neurpotions - I just assumed something had upset you but of that is withdrawal that is illuminating for me.

When I got some of my citalpram low once in a fast fast taper I had a whole day of angry tears which. I put down to.me being unbalanced but it may well.have been withdrawal.

I am amazed that these drugs are so powerful.

I have no withdrawal symptoms at present and life is being kind to me at present.  It hasn't always been kind in the past but it is OK for now. 

I think.I have spent most of my adult life

In withdrawal from some type of med or another.  The first med I ever withdrew from was librium which is similar to diazepam.

I regret taking them all.now and I don't think any of them.helped and even stopped me addressing the cause of my distress.   But that is too late now.  However it crosses my mind a lot.

Perhaps they have helped - it is just that I have my doubts

Joy 

Hi Joy

It's great to read your latest post and am so glad you are doing well.

I have had a great few days but am very tired, nauseous and would be weepy if I gave into it!! Probably just tired after all that has been going on but hope I am not heading back into another wave!

It's wonderful that things are improving with your family relationships. All these things make life so much easier to deal with. 

Hope things remain stable for you and that you enjoy every minute to the full.

Love from Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi all, especially Flowers and Frogie

I seem to be over any timescale for repercussions from when I had to guess my dosage and things have settled down nicely.  I feel settled on 18 mg, but am still going to do another 3 weeks at this dose.

To the moderators:

I had a lightening thought that the manufacturers of these drugs should produce them in many different strengths so that we can mix different strengths to get a dosage, rather like we have notes and coins to make up a sum of money.  I suppose that will mean them putting in new equipment to do so, but it should come under their duty of care to the customers.  Using a syringe to measure out dosages makes me feel like an illegal drug addict, it is as if the drug companies are showing me no respect.  What does anyone else think?  After all if they made citalopram say 0.25 mg pill and made it scored to make quarters, it would help many people to reduce.  The pills could be colour coded for identification purposes, although I know some people may be sensitive to the colourings.  Or the packs could be colour coded and the pills could stay white.

I would prefer this to making a liquid or measuring using scales.

Joy   with no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever as I type and feeling balanced in every way.

Hi Joy!

Glad you are doing well after the 'blip'!

I missed a dose once when tapering as unexpectedly had to spend the night at the hospital with my friend and didn't have my meds with me. Luckily I was fine too. 

I love your thoughts on different strengths of pills - great idea and it would stop us having to use syringes which I don't like either. 

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many people who take medication as a liquid using a syringe.  It's a much more convenient and accurate way of dosing than taking using a spoon, even a measuring spoon!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi everyone

I am doing well still on 18 mg.  I am sleeping very well at present, better really than when I took 20 mg, more peacefully and more deeply.

I don't feel anxious or depressed, in fact I feel very relaxed.

The only symptom I seem to have is an occasional itchy right arm which I think is withdrawal but obviously can't be sure.

Joy

Hi I felt so stable this morning I only took 17.75 mg citalopram.  I am going to re-read the information on micro tapering.  I will alter my signature in a minute.  I have been at 18 mg for a while now and seem instinctively to know now is the time to make a little drop in dosage.  We will see.

I feel a little guilty dropping now as it is not long since I said I would stay at 18 mg from another few weeks.

Hope everyone is doing well.  I will post tomorrow to report how the difference is felt in my body/mind.

Joy

19 minutes ago, joy2730 said:

Hi I felt so stable this morning I only took 17.75 mg citalopram.  I am going to re-read the information on micro tapering.  I will alter my signature in a minute.  I have been at 18 mg for a while now and seem instinctively to know now is the time to make a little drop in dosage.  We will see.

I feel a little guilty dropping now as it is not long since I said I would stay at 18 mg from another few weeks.

Hope everyone is doing well.  I will post tomorrow to report how the difference is felt in my body/mind.

Joy

Hi Joy:

I'm so glad you are feeling stable and able to taper a little.

Good luck. :) wishing you the best!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Thanks Frogie  I am a bit confused as to how micro tapering work but have spent over 5 weeks at 18 mg and just feel now is the time to do a little drop.  I just used to let a 'drop' of liquid off the syringe but now have measured out properly.

I think if I type in survivingantidepressants.org/microtapering it will come up with something. 

Hopefully my body/mind won't notice the little drop in dosage too much.  I think what I am doing is micro-tapering with long holds!  I think it is my only chance now! 

How are you today Frogie, have the tears stopped now?

Joy

3 hours ago, joy2730 said:

Thanks Frogie  I am a bit confused as to how micro tapering work but have spent over 5 weeks at 18 mg and just feel now is the time to do a little drop.  I just used to let a 'drop' of liquid off the syringe but now have measured out properly.

I think if I type in survivingantidepressants.org/microtapering it will come up with something. 

Hopefully my body/mind won't notice the little drop in dosage too much.  I think what I am doing is micro-tapering with long holds!  I think it is my only chance now! 

How are you today Frogie, have the tears stopped now?

Joy

The tears have stopped. I was a little nauseous yesterday, but had some dental work done. It was nerves. I'm much better today.

I know scallywag has spreadsheets on her signature and one of them is micro tapering. You could check that out.

Your body/mind shouldn't notice that small amount. You have held for so long.

I'm glad you are doing so well. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

So the tears were probably neuroemotions?  What a revelation that a drug can cause someone to cry when withdrawing from it!

What is odd as well is that I actually look well too, whereas in previous withdrawal attempts I looked terrible.  I was obviously just going too fast for my body as well as my mind.

We have a programme in the UK tomorrow night BBC 1 @ 9pm about how SSRI's can cause some people to commit crimes such as murder.  I know Frogie and Flowers that you are not in the UK, but I am typing it in case someone who is in UK reads this.  Naturally I will be watching it.

I feel a lot more relaxed on this dose than when I was taking 30 mg, but I thought citalopram was meant to reduce anxiety?  What is this contradiction about?  Perhaps it can cause anxiety or a more wired feeling?

Can I ask Frogie your motive for trying to withdraw from your AD?  You obviously don't have to answer that, it is just that why people want to try and withdraw when it is clearly difficult, is interesting to me.

I will type again tomorrow, explaining if I have felt any different for my drop, but apparently it takes 4 days to register the change, but I am a very placebo-sensitive type of person.

Joy

Hi Joy:

I couldn't watch that tv show. Ever since I got to the 7mg on Lexapro, I can only watch certain things. You may laugh, but I watch a shopping channel and a game show channel.

I can't even watch the news or read a newspaper. I don't know why, it just sends my anxiety up to the moon and back.

I started antidepressants 20 years ago when I was going through a divorce. I thought I would get off of them when it was over. Long divorce lol... My ex has remarried twice since then. I don't care, it's his life and I don't have to even look at him. 

The drs thought "she's doing so well, we will leave her on them". And if you read my signature, you will see they just kept putting me on more and more. Before I started tapering Lexapro, I went off 5 other meds (I think). And quit smoking 16 months ago after 30+ years of smoking!

I'm not depressed. I love my fiancé. My biggest problem is I just want to go home and be with my family and friends. But that will happen one day. I've learned to adapt as much as possible in this horrible place. I just stay home a lot.

I've had a little nausea last week and yesterday. I tapered a little and then went to the dentist. Novacain always makes me nauseous even before I was on these meds. I don't have nausea today, but feel bloated and not hungry. It could be the weather. It's 97 degrees at noon. It's supposed to cool off into the 80's the rest of the week and next week, so I'm sure I'll feel better. And I ate ice cream yesterday, milk doesn't agree with me.

Yesterday I drove 2 1/2 hours to my dentist in my home town, sat in her chair a couple hours (she worked me in), then drove back 2 1/2 hours. We then went and sat on his brothers patio and had dinner, which was a spicy pizza (very good), but I'm used to grilled chicken and salads.  I just got too much heat and nerves yesterday. I have therapy today, then nothing until next Tuesday. So I can stay home yaaa! Then I'll feel better.

My stomach sticks out like I'm pregnant. I wear baggy t-shirts and long cool dresses. Lexapro did this to me. I've had people actually ask me when I'm due. I tell them very nicely I'm not, that I'm a grandma. You should see their faces. They say I'll lose it when I'm off Lexapro, I sure hope so.

I've really rambled... You didn't want to hear all of that. Sorry my mind doesn't stop.

You are doing wonderful. It's great that you feel so good. Keep it up. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie

I love to hear your ramblings, so you were put on it for ordinary stress really, at least my situation was for severe mental illness.

I know the pregnancy look only too well, I wear it every day!  It is embarrassing, especially at my age of 58.  I would love to look tidier with my body, but I don't want to be slim as I have become used to being 'bigger' but less of me would be great.

You have become emotionally sensitive in withdrawal too, that is understandable.  Shopping channels and game shows are very unchallenging aren't they?  There is nothing wrong with taking the path of least trouble.

It seems to be a pattern that doctors don't take people off these meds.

I have gathered some people lose the weight about a year after getting off them, so it just shows how long they actually stay in the body and influenced it, doesn't it?  That it takes so long to revert to baseline.

So you are now getting down to the really low numbers now Frogie, what a pity it isn't shifting the shape/weight of your tummy.  The 'I am on antidepressants' is not a good look!

Joy

Hi Joy

Just wanted to say that I am so pleased you are feeling well and able to do another drop. I think you will be fine as you have done a long hold. 

I am going to try and watch that programme - it depends what state of mind I am in tomorrow. We can get UK TV channels here and I do want to watch it but find some things play on my mind after I have watched them. This is nothing to do with WD as I have always been like it! It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the programme.

I have had a bad few days but started to feel a little better today especially as the day went on so maybe another window is coming!

Fingers crossed for you that you have no adverse effects from the drop.

Take care.

Flowers xxx

Thank you Flowers.  I am sorry you have had a few rough days - has your two weekly pattern broken down?

I am really well at this point - it will.be interesting to see if I feel this small drop.  My instinct that this is safe for me may be wrong but it feels right to do this today.

I will watch the programme - issues need to be aired.

Take care Flowers - here's hoping tomorrow is kind to you.  Do you think things arev settling for you on the whole?

12 minutes ago, joy2730 said:

Thank you Flowers.  I am sorry you have had a few rough days - has your two weekly pattern broken down?

I am really well at this point - it will.be interesting to see if I feel this small drop.  My instinct that this is safe for me may be wrong but it feels right to do this today.

I will watch the programme - issues need to be aired.

Take care Flowers - here's hoping tomorrow is kind to you.  Do you think things arev settling for you on the whole?

Listening to your body and brain is all you can do regarding dropping. You have been stable for awhile so have everything going for you to do it.

I am not sure what is happening with the 2 weekly pattern. I am keeping a journal so will review after the next few days and see where I am. I do feel I am in a better place than I was  at the end of last year which is good but progress is slow.  I don't think I can expect anything else really after the change of meds etc this year. My system has taken a real bashing!

I am hoping to be able to get the liver enzyme test done next week then I will have to wait for a month to get the results. It is a very stressful time work wise  for us during the summer season so that is probably not helping and it is very hot and the towns and beaches are heaving with tourists.

I long for mid September when things get back to normal and we can get out and about more freely.

Flowers xxx

1 hour ago, joy2730 said:

Frogie

I love to hear your ramblings, so you were put on it for ordinary stress really, at least my situation was for severe mental illness.

I know the pregnancy look only too well, I wear it every day!  It is embarrassing, especially at my age of 58.  I would love to look tidier with my body, but I don't want to be slim as I have become used to being 'bigger' but less of me would be great.

You have become emotionally sensitive in withdrawal too, that is understandable.  Shopping channels and game shows are very unchallenging aren't they?  There is nothing wrong with taking the path of least trouble.

It seems to be a pattern that doctors don't take people off these meds.

I have gathered some people lose the weight about a year after getting off them, so it just shows how long they actually stay in the body and influenced it, doesn't it?  That it takes so long to revert to baseline.

So you are now getting down to the really low numbers now Frogie, what a pity it isn't shifting the shape/weight of your tummy.  The 'I am on antidepressants' is not a good look!

Joy

Hi Joy:

I'm glad you don't mind my rambling, because I do a lot of that lol...

I would love not to look pregnant at 54, we are about the same age. I don't want to be paper thin, but it would be nice if I wasn't carrying this baby I'm not carrying lol...

Yes, I was put on them for stress originally. Then they told me I had bi-polar. But every test showed I didn't. But the dr put me on meds still. It's been a nightmare. But Lexapro and when I'm done with that, I'm giving my body 6 months or so to heal, then going off Xanax and I'm done!

I don't have to think about a shopping channel or game show. I have convinced my fiancé we needed a couple of things on the shopping channel though, so now I just think if I don't spend money, we can move closer to my granddaughter sooner. Get things fixed up around here (when it cools down, it's 100 degrees today), and 14 more payments and our loan will be paid. I'm being very patient.

I'm glad you are doing so well. Maybe we will have our pregnant stomach gone the same time. :) (joking)

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Dear Frogie

Once about 10 years ago, when I would be 48 ish, I was in our local co-op and was reaching to an upper shelf to get some toothpaste and a young man saw me and, assuming me to be pregnant, said 'Oh no, please don't stretch like that in your condition, let me get it for you'.  I didn't have the heart to say anything at all, and just let him carry on.

I was taking epilim and lithium at the time (I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 but that was a load of rubbish) and my pregnancy bump was a lot bigger than it is now.  Since stopping the epilim and lithium my bump has gone down, but it is still a little bit there.  The exercise I have been doing a lot at my leisure centre has helped but frankly exercise is time consuming and boring, it interferes with my work, seeing Esme etc.  I do feel much better for it, but it doesn't really help with my weight. 

Yes, I do hope we 'give birth' at the same time!

Joy

Dear Flowers

The liver enzyme test is exciting. 

I know I have asked this question before and it is just theoretical really, but I am beginning to think that those who can't metabolise these drugs properly might be the same people who have the most difficult withdrawals?  I suppose that may be discovered in the future.  I read somewhere that people who have bad 'start-up' symptoms when commencing treatment (red flags they were called) have the worst withdrawals.  Well I really struggled starting any SSRI but didn't in the same way when I started dothiepin.

I would rather take citalopram than dothiepin though.

So Flowers it sounds as though you are in a better place, the one thing about being busy though is you don't have time to dwell on the minute details of feeling rotten.  I think if I didn't work at all I would concentrate far too much on my symptoms, work is a good distraction for me.  I suppose it would be good if you could eventually get rid of the ven completely.  I quite like the cool days in Britain, today is cool and rainy and grey, but I find I easily feel hot in withdrawal or maybe my age, so I don't mind.  It is so tiring when abroad if it is too hot, and if you have to work in it, that must be really draining.  Winter will come for sure.

Joy

Well everyone, today, my second day on 17.75 mg I again feel very well and I look very well!  I know it is too soon for my body to recognise the change really, so only time will tell.

When I got up this morning my joints felt strangely stiff but that perhaps isn't linked to withdrawal at all?  I have experienced this before but it was worse this morning.  I am going to force myself to exercise a bit at my live-in work.  I have a Wondercore machine here and a stationary pedal bike and there are beautiful grounds in which to walk.  I just tend to be lazy.

For a few days I will post a lot as I think it is important to document the drops.  Again I am sleeping better on less citalopram, isn't citalopram meant to help with sleep?  I also feel very calm and my mood is very stable.  It is odd.

I am going to google stiff joints and withdrawing from citalopram.

Joy

2 hours ago, joy2730 said:

Dear Frogie

Once about 10 years ago, when I would be 48 ish, I was in our local co-op and was reaching to an upper shelf to get some toothpaste and a young man saw me and, assuming me to be pregnant, said 'Oh no, please don't stretch like that in your condition, let me get it for you'.  I didn't have the heart to say anything at all, and just let him carry on.

I was taking epilim and lithium at the time (I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 but that was a load of rubbish) and my pregnancy bump was a lot bigger than it is now.  Since stopping the epilim and lithium my bump has gone down, but it is still a little bit there.  The exercise I have been doing a lot at my leisure centre has helped but frankly exercise is time consuming and boring, it interferes with my work, seeing Esme etc.  I do feel much better for it, but it doesn't really help with my weight. 

Yes, I do hope we 'give birth' at the same time!

Joy

My fiancé works for our co-op, how funny!

I look about 6 months pregnant. I never had a belly unless I was really pregnant.

They say you can diet, and exercise all you want, but as long as you are on the meds you won't lose your "bump".

We are eating better, so maybe it will help. If nothing else, we aren't putting garbage in our bodies.

I sure hope I lose it after I'm done with this poison.

I hope you do too. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

7 hours ago, joy2730 said:

Well everyone, today, my second day on 17.75 mg I again feel very well and I look very well!  I know it is too soon for my body to recognise the change really, so only time will tell.

When I got up this morning my joints felt strangely stiff but that perhaps isn't linked to withdrawal at all?  I have experienced this before but it was worse this morning.  I am going to force myself to exercise a bit at my live-in work.  I have a Wondercore machine here and a stationary pedal bike and there are beautiful grounds in which to walk.  I just tend to be lazy.

For a few days I will post a lot as I think it is important to document the drops.  Again I am sleeping better on less citalopram, isn't citalopram meant to help with sleep?  I also feel very calm and my mood is very stable.  It is odd.

I am going to google stiff joints and withdrawing from citalopram.

Joy

What is a Wondercore machine? I have a Pilates machine. But it just stares at me and I stare back at it lol... I could use it everyday for 10-15 minutes and feel better, but my chair with my chihuahua is much more comfortable. And my baby chihuahua is 16 today, so since I don't have anything to do, I'm spending the day with her, silly isn't it? :P

Take care,

Frogie xx

Wondercore is new in the UK it is made by Thane.  It is very easy to use and has resistance built in.  It is readily available on the internet.  I find that while I am doing my live-in work if I do 1/2 hr a day it helps me a lot.  I do believe it helps with withdrawal too.  It is easy to pack away too.  It is a board and two levers that are adjustable for their resistance and do work your core really well.  It was £77.99 and has a DVD with it that is really easy to follow. 

When exercising I sometimes get the odd 'brain zap' but they are very mild and I think it is a sign of healing really, that my brain is rearranging itself.  I have the same effect if I go swimming, but it doesn't happen if I just sit around in a chair.  It just gives a tiny bit of muscle definition.  It is a little bit of self care, but like all pieces of home gym equipment you have to actually use it.

Google it Frogie.  Going now to watch the BBC1 programme on SSRIs

Joy