☼ joy2730: withdrawing from citalopram, quetiapine

joy2730

Last night I couldn't sleep and it was getting into the middle of the night and I had something to do today and had to be up early so I took 1/2 of a quetiapine 25mg about 2.00 am and slept almost immediately without nightmares but I have already lost my tolerance to quetiapine and I struggled to wake up this morning and was late for my meeting anyway.  So it is good that I am loosing my tolerance to it.  Interestingly last evening when I had no quetiapine in me I was full of energy and managed to clear out a few black bin liners of my belongings which I must have stuffed into my car 2 1/2 years ago when I got thrown out of the family farm.  It felt really good to be reunited with some of my belongings, which were about 15 pairs of black trousers in various sizes, a top of the range foundation, some face creams, perfumes, a favourite mirror and all sorts of bits and pieces.  People say you shouldn't get attached to material possessions, but I do get attached to them I think because we were so poor when I was a child.  I love my belongings, even bits of makeup.  It was great to have the energy to do all this.

Also I have weighed myself today and have started to loose weight on my modern version of Atkins which feels absolutely great.  Apparently Atkins is particularly good for people who are on psychiatric meds, it has also made me stop drinking alcohol completely, which is also good in every possible way.

I have an appointment with my GP today, the first since Covid began and I am glad I have made progress since I last saw her.

My new boyfriend on the ground, Joe, is coming to stay for a few days tomorrow which is great.  I have to admit that I am not a modern woman, but I am aged 62, and function better as part of a couple, and really miss my husband, so Joe is a substitute.  He had a wife who died of COPD after 15 years of suffering and he loved her completely and misses her so much.  We have both had terrible feelings of grief and tried to medicate them with alcohol, him with no pills and me pills plus alcohol, so we are a good match emotionally.   His wife basically died because of untreated mental health issues, she just drank and smoked instead of seeking help.  She had a child who was born with hydrocephalus who died just after birth, a son who was in and out of prison due to drug related theft and eventually collapsed on a high street in the middle of the night and was run over by a Royal Mail van and died, and then she had a granddaughter who discovered she had leukaemia when pregnant and died soon after the baby was born.  When each of these events took place Judy would just drink more and more alcohol and smoke more and more and it led to her having 15 years of severe illness, many hospitalisations and death at 68 leaving Joe a widower.  So in comparison with that the use of psychiatric drugs, them being numbing, is, in my opinion, preferable.  I am writing this because I have seen time and time again on this site that people feel guilty for using psychiatric drugs, and sometimes stay on them either at the original dose or at a reduced one.  It is not ideal at all, as psychiatric drugs have considerable problems of their own, and antipsychotics in particular, but it can be preferable to severe drinking, smoking and illegal drugs.

I know I have digressed from my coming off quetiapine but it is all relevant to the use of psychiatric drugs.

I will update after I have been to the GP.  

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

Hi Joy:

It sounds like you are starting to have a life that you enjoy. I know how you suffered so much before.

I’m very happy for you.

Just be very careful with the Quetiapine. You’ve done such a wonderful job tapering off of it. Maybe try a small amount of melatonin when you have trouble sleeping. Although, it’s not a sleeping pill it does help. Try maybe 0.3 mg and see how you do. More is not better with the melatonin though.

Good luck and please keep me posted! Again, I’m very happy for you. You deserve happiness in your life!

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 11 months later...

Hi @joy2730

I haven't heard from you forever!

Just wondered how you were doing?

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• 5 weeks later...

I am not sure I can use this site properly - I think I have replied once but it is not showing on the screen

On 1/14/2022 at 9:17 PM, Frogie said:

Hi @joy2730

I haven't heard from you forever!

Just wondered how you were doing?

Relationship with Joe has just finished but I am OK.  I am buying an additional home to let out to give me an income.  I am just on mirtazepine now but withdrawing from that.

Hope you are O K Frogie - you are a moderator now - how great is that x

@joy2730

Sorry to hear about the relationship ending. But on the other hand it sounds like you are doing pretty well overall.

Could you please update your signature to reflect all your changes? Thanks.

Hope to hear from you soon!

• 7 months later...

Withdrawal or relapse?

I am most confused.  I was on mirtazepine 45 mg for a long time and tapered slowly to zero over 10 weeks finishing about 4 months ago.  I didn't have one single withdrawal symptom.  However in the last 2 weeks I have been very depressed and anxious.  Is this withdrawal or relapse?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Withdrawal symptoms can sometimes be delayed.  When I cold turkeyed citalopram I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms at the beginning and actually feel the best that I had felt for a very long time.  Then a couple of months later I was bedridden for 2.5 weeks with what felt like the flu but I knew it wasn't.  I couldn't eat and lost 17.5lbs during that time.  It wasn't until I came to SA that I realised that it was actually withdrawal.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Is it withdrawal or relapse?  Or something else?

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

do-withdrawal-symptoms-always-show-up-right-away-delayed-onset

delayed-withdrawal-symptoms-late-onset-depression-as-a-wd-effect-looking-for-journal-articles

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 10 months later...

Titled: Post Quetiapine Withdrawal

Hi everyone

I have just this last week taken my last dose of quetiapine and am now psychiatric drug free.  However, I am still struggling with my weight - I gained weight on quetiapine.  I am losing 2.5 lbs per week approx but it is very hard work.  Has anyone any experience of getting their weight back to normal?

I have just read a very scary article which suggests that the weight gain may be irreversible, rather like TD.  Help

Edited by manymoretodays
Edit out member's name, merged Introductions, added title

Welcome @joy2730,

In my experience the weight has tended to come off and stay off after tapering, though it did take a while to lose.  After that it has tended to stay off.  2.5 lbs/week is a great amount to be shedding, and is usually sustainable.

One of the best things I noticed was my appetite becoming a lot healthier, combined with regular exercise.

Can you please add the details of your quetiapine taper to your signature - dates and dosage changes, any other drugs in the picture, and let us know how you get on.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 1 month later...

Recovery Complete

I want to write my recovery story but have a problem with needing to have it moderated

Edited by manymoretodays
merged to Introduction topic, title added

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi joy2730, @joy2730

Congrats! 

Are you then off all your drugs?  I don't see the citalopram in your signature at all anymore, and so that is why I ask.

I just merged up, your Introductions, and then your posting in Success Stories as well.  So I think I've got your pertinent information all in one place.

It sounds like it might just be a few months now since off the quetiapine.  And generally Success Stories are:

You can certainly talk more about your recovery right here, in your Introduction topic.  And then when it is a year off ALL drugs go further and write your Success Story.  I hope that appeals to you.

Meantime, if you'd like I'm happy to give you the little sunshine symbol of recovery that shows you are in a great place of healing now.  Would you like one of those?

You are also a antipsychotic survivor now.  You can sure contribute to this topic:

Antipsychotic survivors? Interested in your stories.

I'm sorry that you have a problem with moderation or that you think your story will be moderated.  FYI- We never edit anything in the body of what members write.  But we do have certain rules of behavior here.  Best summed up here I think:  What will get you warned or banned

I would suggest a full signature, and so will leave you the link to doing one.......so that you can edit yours now:  How to summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

I think it's great you are off your quetiapine!  And are doing well too!  Congrats.  I'm sure many would love to hear how you are doing now, and how you best coped along the way and so I sure hope you will keep posting or summarize here what you'd like to put into a Success Story.  Then when it's a full year off everything.........you'll have a head start.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I have been off all drugs now for about 6 months and have no lasting effects.  When I can post more easily I will explain more.

26 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi joy2730, @joy2730

Congrats! 

Are you then off all your drugs?  I don't see the citalopram in your signature at all anymore, and so that is why I ask.

I just merged up, your Introductions, and then your posting in Success Stories as well.  So I think I've got your pertinent information all in one place.

It sounds like it might just be a few months now since off the quetiapine.  And generally Success Stories are:

You can certainly talk more about your recovery right here, in your Introduction topic.  And then when it is a year off ALL drugs go further and write your Success Story.  I hope that appeals to you.

Meantime, if you'd like I'm happy to give you the little sunshine symbol of recovery that shows you are in a great place of healing now.  Would you like one of those?

You are also a antipsychotic survivor now.  You can sure contribute to this topic:

Antipsychotic survivors? Interested in your stories.

I'm sorry that you have a problem with moderation or that you think your story will be moderated.  FYI- We never edit anything in the body of what members write.  But we do have certain rules of behavior here.  Best summed up here I think:  What will get you warned or banned

I would suggest a full signature, and so will leave you the link to doing one.......so that you can edit yours now:  How to summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

I think it's great you are off your quetiapine!  And are doing well too!  Congrats.  I'm sure many would love to hear how you are doing now, and how you best coped along the way and so I sure hope you will keep posting or summarize here what you'd like to put into a Success Story.  Then when it's a full year off everything.........you'll have a head start.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Hi 

Please could I have one of those stickers and yes I will write my success story when I am at a year Joy2730

• Moderator Emeritus

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Please see this topic:  How to write your success story

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing