SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ joy2730: withdrawing from citalopram, quetiapine

joy2730

Thank you Andy about the hips.  As I type this my hips are really aching!  So good to know others have had this too.  It is a grinding dull ache not sharp, and it is continuous not episodic.  I sometimes feel it in the night.

So, today I have had another brilliant sleep last night.  That is a blessing.

On the psychological front my relationship with husband is back to normal, he wasn't suffering from my change in personality or my work or anything else.  It transpires that he had a financial issue on his mind and needed to discuss it with my son, we have a small farm here and it gets quite complex.  Not he has shared it he is back to normal - I was beginning to think he preferred the old sedated me, but that is not the case at all.  Just as well.

My face, throat, ear pains have now gone, but the hip pain has remained, headache has also gone.  Now I have a runny nose, but all this is quite doable, in fact very doable.  I no longer feel like I have flu, and have hardly had any sweating on this .5 mg reduction.  It seems like the symptoms appear at random, but they are also consistent.

Best thing of all is my mood, calm, optimistic and just loving life.  I have been walking round the shops this week more as I am on A/L and thinking that it is impossible to buy the chance to be free of meds, or at least have reduced meds, and it is so valuable.

I am also mindful that my GP has warned I may get stuck at 10mg.  We must all be realistic.  I hope to prove her wrong but we will have to wait and see.  She said that depending on the level of symptoms some patients decide to stick at a low dose indefinitely. 

I have just felt a pain in my shoulders now that is similar to the hip pain, and my shoulders are quite slim!

Posting daily is illustrating how the symptoms do change quite quickly - at least for me.

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

Over lunch time I started to feel very sick and with headache and achy hips.  Took a Kwells travel sickness pill and two painkillers and as am on A/L I went to bed and had an afternoon nap, and felt really well afterwards.

Its now about 9pm and I feel fine again, but have aching hips and I do feel tired.

THIS NEXT BIT IS REALLY INTERESTING.

I had a normal sized lasagne with garlic bread and chips in a Tesco supermarket café for lunch, plus a cup of tea and a large glass of water and I felt SO FULL afterwards that for the first time in my psychiatric drug career I couldn't not have faced a dessert.  I felt satisfied and full for the first time in such a long time.  It was such a good feeling.  I think my stomach is now registering food intake and satiety in a more normal manner now, which may be why I have struggled so much with my weight.  This is so important.  I could feel the barriers of my stomach properly. 

A good sleep last night and feeling well this morning.  All symptoms have gone for the time being apart from the aching hips.  Going swimming soon.  Perhaps the swimming is too much for my hips?  But I am not that fit and don't do that much.  its more about gentle exercise for me.

So life is good, the work I have just lost due to my employer being corrupt, may be coming my way in a different direction, but this is not top priority, my own well being is my top priority.  Husband is getting over himself quite nicely, grandchild on the way and I HAVE MY MIND BACK.  12 mg is good, none may or may not be better.  Going to stay at 12 mg for ages now.  I don't want a set back or to loose the progress I have already made.

Back on my mobile phone for next 3 days so expect some weird typing errors and less information, but I will post daily.

Another good night's sleep and my mood which was low last night has resolved. Very very sweaty today and fir the girls time in the whole of my life I have put baby talc on my face instead of face powder ti absorb the oil. Gross. I will possibly have two baths today. Back at work but I am taking it easy today and will start business as usual tomorrow. Client I am looking after is going in a care home in 3 weeks I think but there is a legal battle surrounding it. I am going to use this time to get stable on 12 mg

Hi Joy, I've had the sweating thing too, most of the time I'm sporting a rather attractive sweat moustache. Will have to give the talc a go, face powder just doesn't cut it. The whole of my head seems to sweat as well, my hair ends up stuck to my head after a 10 minute walk, nice. 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

A brilliant sleep and stable mood not just as sweaty all good

All good no change from yesterday. Mood stable sleep good, I am enjoying myself.

Another brilliant sleep and feeling good on 12 mg.  Mood stable.  Even my husband says I am looking well and much better - amazing for him!

Sweaty has eased off.  I have noticed I feel most sweaty and hot last thing on a night.  Spent the whole of last night relaxing in bed with my laptop after having been swimming.  Slept from 11 pm to 6 am soundly and then had a slow start to my day.  It is good quality sleep I am having, but last time I went below 10mg my sleep really broke down and that was hard.  The only way round that is to do it much more slowly than last time.  Sleep seems to be a major problem in withdrawal for a lot of people, and as I work so hard, I will have to plan ahead for that.

A more shallow sleep last night but still fine, but my eyes look a bit baggy today, and my mood is lower, I feel tired and disinterested in the world, which is not like me.  Hot and thirsty but not that sweaty today.  Skin is prickly a bit and the occasional stab on the sole of my left foot, something which appears now and then as an unwelcome visitor.  If it follows true to pattern I should feel a lot better in a few days, so I am hanging on in.  Appetite normal, went swimming this afternoon which I am convinced helps, well it would if I actually did an effective amount, but water exercise makes me feel less sweaty.

Relationship with husband is good, so his bad temper must have been something else the other week..

Another good sleep, feeling a bit anxious today but those are work related issues and general life plus a little withdrawal maybe.  I will be sticking at this 12 mg for quite a while now because I don't feel quite as good as I did and I don't want the situation to get out of hand.  Mood is stable just some lingering anxiety and unease which is not comfortable.

Another good day still at 12 mg. A good sleep but I do feel tired and a bit anxious but I have things changing in my life at the same time. So it might just be normal. Withdrawal has to take place within normal life but I still feel it is doable. At my local garage they only see me about every 2 weeks and they say I look tired. I have worked crazy hours fir the last few years and am in the middle of arranging to give myself 3 days at hone each work but making the adjustment is causing me more work at the moment. My daughter is pregnant and I want to spend more time with her and I haven't seen my mother for weeks and now that I am.not as drugged I want to enjoy some quality time with my family.

Isn't life complicated

Much better today

More detail now I have got the time. I slept really well last night and feel less anxious today. I am sorting out the sudden details of employment surpringly easily and am now feeling more relaxed. No headaches or nausea and appetite normal but I definately do not look as well. I look stressed and have two unexpected spots on my face which at age 57 is odd

I am still very very hot bit ot is boiling on Britain today so I am having plenty of cool baths and water. Mood stable sleep a bit shallow last night so I just going to have an afternoon soon. My job occasionally makes this possible

An extra post ad I am.now feeling so well in every way so the tension recently has now gone. Mood sleep and appetite all good. No symptoms at present and not as sweaty

• Moderator Emeritus

No symptoms -- yippee-ki-yay!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thumbs up Joy!! Yooohoooo!

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

Thanks to all yes life is good at present today on withdrawal good like yesterday. Still hot for Britain but sweaty is much better

good sleep last night, mood stable, stabbing in left foot which is a familiar w/d symptom and slight racing heart.  but basically all good.  Very hot in Britain still and I have given my fan to my pregnant daughter so late last night I went and bought another.

I have decided when the heatwave has passed in GB to continue using the fan for my withdrawal sweating - why didn't I think of this before?  Especially as I get sweating first thing on a night when I get into bed.

Is this a tip for others?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joy.

I have missed your daily posts and wondered if everything is going OK?

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

same here! hope your ok Joy

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

Hi flowers

Thanks for contacting me. No I am not ok. I became very very sickness with severe stomach pains constipation and insomnia and I looked terrible so I kept back to 20 mg and I am just starting to get myself together. I was never depressed or anxious though. I feel like a failure. I was so sure I was going to be fine.

I don't know where I am going now and feel defeated. This is the bad news I never wanted to post but I have to hold my life at a certain level of functionality or perhaps go on long term sick leave and try again. Any ideas anyone

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for contacting me. No I am not ok. I became very very sickness with severe stomach pains constipation and insomnia and I looked terrible so I kept back to 20 mg and I am just starting to get myself together. I was never depressed or anxious though. I feel like a failure. I was so sure I was going to be fine.

Joy,

I'm confused.  9 days ago you were in a great place with your taper.  you got sick with constipation and insomnia and you went from 12 to 20!

Why did you not try going back up to 13 or even 14?  Why did you jump all the way back to 20?

It could have been a very temporary thing.

I don't know where I am going now and feel defeated. This is the bad news I never wanted to post but I have to hold my life at a certain level of functionality or perhaps go on long term sick leave and try again. Any ideas anyone           

You have not been "defeated."  This is a temporary setback.  When did you move back up?  Can you try updosing by a lesser amount and holding for a while until you can start tapering again?

Best,

Andy         

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Oh Joy I am so sorry you have been poorly. Do you think your symptoms were related to the taper? I have to say I agree with Andy, can you not increase your dose by just a little bit to see if that helps?

No one knows how we will be when we start out tapering and things can change very quickly with how we feel. All we can do is follow the excellent guidelines here and hope for the best. You havent been defeated and you must not give up on this. You have done so well.

I have had a little blip of my own which is self inflicted cos I took the wrong meds for a few days! I am not feeling great but hope things get back on track soon. I too have to continue working so need to be fairly stable.

Maybe we can get through this together?

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Joy, can you give us exact details please? Was it after a drop that you began feeling bad? How long had you held before that drop. You were doing so well - are you sure your issues were wd related?? It could have been something you ate? Alot of people have episodes of insomnia for all kinds of reasons. What difference do you feel after updosing?

Thanks Nick and Flowers:

2/7 I dropped to 12 mg citalopram, when I started a week's a/l and felt fine.  Half way through my week off my employer gave notice on my main employment contract where I have worked as a live-in carer 4 nights a week.  On the other days I do domiciliary care work.  I have worked hard through the last 4 years studying and working to become a fully qualified care worker which I have achieved with a student loan and despite withdrawing from lithium, epilim and trying to withdraw from citalopram.

It became apparent that the family where I do my main work needed to find a new care provider, which I helped them to arrange.  I did not feel particularly stressed about any of this - or I don't think so.  My care provider, employer and manager had been failing in this contract for a while and I could see this coming.  I found out about 18 mths ago that my employer was not operating a legal business and was in trouble but I had kept on with my clients out of loyalty and to finish my studying which I did in December 2015.

I was find it increasingly hard to sleep without antihistamines as my mind seemed so busy on a night with all the changes and information.  I found a new care provider for the family and was interviewed by them and taken on with the new contract and resigned from my old employer. 

The day after this new arrangement and a day before I was to start interviewing new staff I started feeling very sick, with severe stomach pains and headache and looked terrible and felt terrible, just unable to function in the new situation and I needed to be on top of things.  Updosing to 20 mg really helped my stomach, and now having taken the new dose for approx. 10 days the nausea is easier but still present.

However, I have started to feel dull and lethargic again, but I do look better, and because I am having to meet many different people at present, at least my face looks less sweaty and oily.  At least my make up is staying basically in place a bit.

I suppose it is fair to say that on this occasion my withdrawal has been hindered by life events.

I really need to feel well enough to function as I need to be good for my new employer and new colleagues.  In this world first impressions really count and last.

I live close to my old employer who is a 'fiddler' and also my new employer.  My husband says my new employer's husband has been severely depressed for years.  I feel I need a good start as I have spent time and money getting qualified and to where I am now in my late career and which I love.

I do still feel quite anxious, but that is only natural.  I feel let down by my old employer but if this mess has released me from a dodgy provider it will be good.  I have had to cope with a lot of politics in the workplace these last few weeks.

I really can't take any time off sick at present, so just need to keep as well as I can.

What a mess!  I do feel disillusioned with human nature and alone at present.  I suppose my plan is to start again with reducing when my work life is in a better place.

I have worked 7 days a week for the past 3 1/2 years, but because of the recent work trouble, I have decided to only work 4 days a week now.  It is live in work so basically I am living at home 3 nights and away 4 nights a week.  This gives me 3 full days a week and 3 nights a week at home with just ordinary life to do which could be a blessing and ultimately could help with withdrawal.  My new employer has already offered me work on my 3 days but I have said that for the present I want to do this reduced week and may work more later.

I want to exercise and get physically fitter again.  I can afford this situation and it will give me a better work/life balance but I don't like where I am at present.

I still feel it is all a mess.

Hi Joy

Thank you for putting us all in the picture with the reasons behind your updose.

You did what you thought was for the best and I can understand that. Life throws things at us sometimes doesnt it?

Are you intending to stay on 20mgs for a while now? Maybe once you get into your new routine with more time at home you will be able to start tapering again.

Have you practised any ways of coping with stress  that may help in the future? I am constantly seeking ways that help me with anxiety which was the reason I got put on ADs in the first place. I know its easier said than done but one day I hope I will be drug free and will need to have found other ways of coping without the drugs. Food for thought!

I am sure you will get over this blip and be able to get back on track.

Let us know how you are doing.

xxxx

Hey Joy. 

Thanks for the response !

Sorry to hear of your work troubles/dramas..

Whats done is done and i think that you would have been ok if you had waited out the symptoms - However i hear what your saying about you needing to be on top of your game :)  I guess for me, I'm only 25 and still got my parents support so if i need to chill for a bit i can . Most don't have that privilege and i am very grateful for it.  I would wait a little bit before you start tapering . Going up and down quickly is a sure way to get yourself into WD .  

One question - Could you elaborate on the differences you feel since up-dosing ??

Regards - Nick

Since up dosing I have felt better on the whole but more lethargic and sleepy - not good.

Today I have woken up feeling much better so I think updosing has worked.  Years ago I spoke with a psychiatrist about all this in great detail and he said sometimes if you are struggling like this - at the time it was with dothiepin for me - there is a 'sweet' dosage where you get less side effects and do not enter withdrawal as such.  I think my sweet point for citalopram is 15 mg.  So I am going to rest a while at 20 mg while I get on top of my working life, and then progress slowly down to 15 mg as I have done previously.  This will then be half of my original dose which was 30 mg, so it could be a compromise.  I am confident I will be able to function at 15 mg on a day to day basis.

Updosing for me appears to have been successful and without problems except for having to take on board the side effects again.

To put all this in to context, I have taken psychiatric drugs, a lot and in high dosages, from age 18 approx. due to anxiety/depression from an abusive under age sexual relationship that was never discovered.  I have withdrawn from all drugs except citalopram and am now 57 years old and really building what is life of my life again.  I have been in touch with the police recently re the under age problems and have no idea where that is going.  My work life should resolve but I need to keep on track as I have worked so hard with this late new career in health and social care.

I do believe that no matter how bad life gets, life itself is a precious gift and to be enjoyed whenever possible.  I have made numerous suicide attempts in my life, some very nearly  successful, but looking back now I am glad I have got to this point.

I will continue to post as to my future dosages and the effects because we can all learn something from each other's stories.

If this particular post has been particularly upsetting for anyone to read I apologise for that, but sometimes it is only in the truth that we can see our own answers.

I am so glad I am in the place in life I am today, so far I am a survivor of antidepressants

I have been out and about this afternoon and I am very panicky, which I should image is a result of updosing after severe withdrawal symptoms.

I feel like I have PTSD, but things should settle soon.  I wish in a way I hadn't been wanting to keep my employment and could have gone off sick and seen things through, but I would have lost too much.

Take care everyone.  This is a great place to learn loads.

Still sweating and sick on a morning despite up dosing but I don't suppose full dose will be in me yet

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joy,

Could you please update your signature with any changes you have made since 2/7?  And also update whenever you make a change so it remains current and can be seen at a glance.  Thank you.

I have only checked this page for links you have been provided so I apologise if you already have this info.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

When updosing it takes about 4 days for the drug to get to a steady state in the blood (similar amount in the body every day).  Please keep notes on paper about symptom improvement, worsening or staying the same.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

My reinstatement appears to have worked but now I feel dull again. I have been back on 20 mg citalopram again for approx a week and already want to reduce a bit. I might try 15 mg in the morning. Today a week after reinstatement I have not felt seriously sick this morning. I have had more panic since reinstating but my life has been very stressful recently.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear the sickness has abated, Joy. 

I would suggest that you not "bounce" so quickly down to 15.  You are in no rush.  Take it in at least 2 steps, perhaps first to 17.5 and then, after a couple of weeks at least, if you still feel good, down to 15.  If you hit a snag it's easier to correct without jumping all the way back up to 20 if you do that.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thank you Andy that is sound advice which I am going to follow. My nausea and actual vomiting were very bad on a morning with severe stomach cramps and bowel pains. I ended up lying on the bathroom floor being sick - not a good look when my work is live in. All I can assume is the symptoms had built up

Hi

measured out 19mg this morning as already feeling less energetic.  Good news with my weight, have now lost 10 pounds since starting to withdraw, a lot for me.  Since reinstating 20 mg a week ago my weight has dropped.  I am almost sure I was experiencing paradoxical weight gain on withdrawal.  I do remember losing weight when I first started citalopram a long time ago, and if withdrawal is the opposite it does make sense that it could make you gain weight when stopping.

Went for swim and sauna today, and now have 3 days off work to relax in and take care of myself better.  Work scenario appears to be settling down a bit.  However still feeling a bit tense but that could be higher dose?