westcoast: Sunshine Now

westcoast

Hi all, thanks for being here.

Edited by scallywag
tags added

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• westcoast

• Pugknows

• btdt

• Wildflower0214

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi westcoast,

Welcome to SA and thank you for sharing your story,

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, you've been through the wringer. If it's any consolation, you're not alone.

Anyway, welcome to the board, and please give us more info when you can.

Oh, and definitely, definitely, read Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. Especially right on for you, you'll love it.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks to both for your replies.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Administrator

Welcome, westcoast.

Very sorry to hear of all you've been through.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks very much.

• Administrator

There are no easy answers.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

In addition to Anatomy of an Epidemic, let me add another suggested read: Medication Madness by Peter Breggin.

Reading that latter book really has helped me to come to trust myself and my mind again, and to forgive myself for the absolutely irrational crazy stuff I did while on the drugs.  Sounds like you might could use a bit of that. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

Thanks. Will read as advised.

• Moderator Emeritus

Several of us have had problems with beta-blockers, although they are good for some others. You might want to look at the taurine thread (just put it in the search bar). I take it every bedtime now. I am so very sorry for all that you have been through!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks. This is the first forum where I have seen Taurine mentioned.

• Moderator Emeritus

I take Taurine in combination with magnesium, helps me sleep

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks. Any special brand or subtype?

I am using the pure powder from NOW, got it from Amazon. 1/8 tsp. is 500 mg. I think 400mg capsules are what most people use. I just get it cause it is cheaper than capsules. You are right about Red Bull. The sleep part is not necessarily guaranteed, but I think it has helped several with tachycardia and arrhythmias.

Other things that help me sleep sometimes, but everyone is different (except magnesium, virtually everyone gets some help from that): Epsom salts baths (4 cups salts, 1/2 cup baking soda), inositol 2 grams at bedtime, niacin helped at one time. If you want to look into inositol or niacin, I suggest you read in the archives...they are not helpful to everyone.

I read recently that most people with chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia cannot tolerate beta-blockers...that could be why it is a mixed bag...I don't know.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Reading  on Kindle now

I don't think there are many doctors stupid enough to prescribe that combo, so you might be alone on that. In this book I was reading, the dr. was writing of the importance of sleep. She said during the plague, some were neurologically affected in their sleep centers, could not sleep, and they died.

56 years old

Well said.

• Moderator Emeritus

No need to apologize. This is your thread. Besides, you sound pretty clear to me.

• Administrator

westcoast, stories of inappropriate drug cocktails, corrupt doctors, and clueless psychiatrists re not unusual here.

nice day out!

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry for all you've been through. I know I keep talking about myself, but it's just that the stuff you're saying reminds me so much of my own ordeals. When I was at rock bottom in about 2008, I had lost everything, and had no idea how I was going to live or what there was to live for; I was just hanging on because I have daughters and their feelings were the one thing that could get through to me and make me hang on. (They made it very very clear to me that they wanted me to hang on.) But at that time I couldn't imagine a future. 

So I didn't. I just took it one day at a time. And very gradually, bit by bit, piece by piece, the future happened anyway. An old friend gave me a place to live for a few months. My exhusband passed away, and I lived in his house for a few months while helping my daughters sort out his estate. I stumbled into a job out of sheer luck, then stumbled into figuring out that the drugs were my problem (when they pretty much cost me that job), then stumbled into another job and the taper that has brought me where I am today.

Very slowly and gradually I am rebuilding my life. Very, very slowly. I will never, of course, get back what I lost, and I will never have what I could have had. But it's way better now than I could have imagined back in 2008.

There is so much more hope than you can imagine right now. I can't explain it, really, and there's no point; you have to live it for yourself. My life was completely flushed down the toilet. Now I have friends again, I have a career of sorts, I have goals, I have a garden, and I'm starting to have some hobbies. Today I'm not feeling so great (because I'm tapering and made some cuts recently) but I now know that there are going to be some really great, happy days in my future, good enough days that I'll be glad I lived to see them.

I can't tell you what the way out is going to look like for you, and I don't mean to in any way minimize what you're going through today. (Absolutely not.) I just want you to know, first, that there are other people who get it, who have been through it; and second, that there is hope.

Not the wide-eyed "you can have and do anything" Disney "hope" that tries to deny your suffering and the reality of how harsh and big it is--I can't give you that. And you're not going to be able to erase the past or get back everything you've lost, I can't offer you that.

But there is a kind of hope that is organic and real, inherent in life. It's like a tree that's struck and burned by lightning, but after a year or two new little shoots begin to come forth, and leaves bud out, and life finds a way to keep coming back.

Keep breathing today. Get your Seroquel refilled and take the same dose at the same time every day. Eat and drink as needed. Go for gentle walks when you can. Read the forum, get support. Hang in there.

There is a future for you, although you can't imagine it right now, and it may not be fairytale happy-ever-after, but it will be good enough.

Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

My first bout with depression happened in 2005, I was prescribed Effexor and didn't sleep for weeks. I had visual disturbances and I couldn't keep my eyes in one place. I believe that damaged me. I shifted to remeron and gave battled that and sleep ever since. I believe that healing takes great patience, acceptance and a unique combination of 100 little things. There is lots of wisdom here to help you find your combination

Take care

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Thanks Dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand your anger, you have every right to feel that way and process it however you like. Personally I try and let it to because I believe the saying - holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to get sick.

I wish you well on your journey

Dalsaan

Good one.

Who knows...

dinner?

I'm posting this with westcoast's permission...

This description sounded VERY familiar:

"After getting somewhat better I researched that doc's history. Barred from practicing medicine in NY state, for over-using Ritalin. He then went to Calif and was immediately on probation for same thing. Then in 2012 just before I met him, Calif sent him a warning letter about over-prescribing Ritalin! I can't guess why the state allowed him to stay in the game for so long. I recall asking him about addiction potential with Ativan, and he said, "so what? take as much as you want for the rest of your life.""

I PMd Westcoast and, sure enough, it is my ex-psychiatrist and my husband's current doc.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

Its outrageous, how many others are out there

D

Well, I just filled out ten  boring forms.

• Administrator

Dr. Breggin is seeing patients? Haven't heard of that for many years.

Stuart Shipko in Pasadena is a colleague of Dr. Breggin and is as good a source.

No.

cold out.

hope all are well.