Denstar51

Brain Fog: Blank mind, comprehension, cognitive and memory problems

203 posts in this topic

jevang, I moved your post to our existing "brain fog" topic. You can see that a lot of people have posted about it.

Yes, people recover, but like all iatrogenic problems from these drugs, improvement is very gradual, slow, and frustrating.

lately I am having trouble with my short term memory. I had this in the beginning, but then it got better. As of late, it has worsened again. Has anyone experienced anything like this? This is really scaring me.

Tweety-rose, I've moved your post from the topic about brain "remodeling" to this one. Please read it from the first page. You will find that many others have experienced the same symptoms you are.

Zero short term memory for a long time still ongoing, other symptoms are way too more severe and disabling so I never even counted this one in my list of symptoms.

I read it's one of the most common effect of these drug, either on them or getting off from them.

Hi. I have been on high doses of antidepressants since 13 or 14 years of age. I am 39. My memory has been getting steadily worse. The last couple of years especially have been frightening for me. I know stress can cause memory loss but could this be a side effect? If so, will my memories come back? Daily it makes life frustrating but honestly the worst part is not being able to remember life at school, years of my marriage, etc. Tell me the memories are still there? If it does come back, how long does it take?

My concentration isn't great so I haven't read every post to check whether this has been mentioned already, but I have been to see a counselor who specializes in post-traumatic stress and was informed that regular breathing exercises improve short-term memory.  

Following their advice, I have begun 'square breathing' (which is imagine a square - breathe in through your nose for a count of four, hold for a count of four, and breathe out through your mouth for a count of eight - the last two sides of the square)  and also 7-11 breathing (breathe in for a count of 7 through your nose and out for a count of 11).

After seeing them, I discovered that some of the resources they used are available here:- 

http://in8.uk.com/information-resources/7-11-breathing/

(The above link is a page on breathing with a 7-11 download).

They were a human givens therapist and also had an interesting explanation of psychosis for those that have experienced this - linking it to REM sleep. 

Has anyone heard from Dennis who started this thread? Our son is 38 months out, and just like Dennis described, his inability to think seems to be getting worse. He has less time when he is able to think. I know this to be true because during his first year of withdrawal, he was able to take 2 college classes (with tremendous difficulty, and by taking an incomplete),  and now he can just barely think enough to take 1. Raven was medicated so young, and we're becoming discouraged that he'll ever be able to think again.

I just wondered if Dennis ever got his brains back.

I recently started have issue with my cognition as a result from all the symptom that im dealing, its overwhelming and constantly changing all the time. I'm isolated by these symptoms and its made my depression worse everythings at a stand still, was it has been for a long time. I looked up the symptoms ive experienced and it would be best described as a anxiety headache, like a pressure in my head when im in a state of extreme depression, mixed with anxiety and the isolation. This time that pressure turned into an injury, it feels like the start stages of the withdrawal where you feel completely hinder cognitively. Now, its more relate to one area of my brain, but it reminds me a lot of the start before just not a severe. I can feel a weakest in my head, and, also, maybe other parts of my brain could be reacting to the change. When I feel extremly depressed with anxiety, basically crush by my circumstances, I dont feel that pressure anymore, but again a weakest. I see for advice, someone to relate to, thoughts, and ideas. I need help and im going to start not before I regret not doing it sooner.

Here is the link that I found: http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety/symptoms/headaches-anxiety.shtml

The cognitive side effects are what irritate me the most. Irritate isn't a strong enough word perhaps. Before w/d I had a great memory and liked to think I was quite intelligent, but now I have such a hard time focusing on anything that I'm reading / listening to / physically doing. It's been 1.5 years now, and it feels like it will never get better. 

The cognitive side effects are what irritate me the most. Irritate isn't a strong enough word perhaps. Before w/d I had a great memory and liked to think I was quite intelligent, but now I have such a hard time focusing on anything that I'm reading / listening to / physically doing. It's been 1.5 years now, and it feels like it will never get better. 

Hi I'm exactly the same, 1.5 years and counting ,the last few months have been the worst and that would correlate with been much more stressed because its affecting my work so I've developed bad depression ,but I'm doing everything possible to help myself because my spirit is  still there and I've learned so much .the last few weeks is extremely frightening how bad my cognitive functioning is.

I left the  gas flame on for 2 hours last week ,its getting ridiculous .

I always try switch off with comedy or a movie and just always hope and believe it will improve .

English is not my mother tongue, but even in my language i cant find better words to describe this feeling.

Is like my brain is very tiny and empty, and can't form complex thoughts.

I feel like i have the IQ of a bird, or homer Simpson in that popular image.

Anyone else has this feeling of "emptyness" of the head?

yes.  

English is not my mother tongue, but even in my language i cant find better words to describe this feeling.

Is like my brain is very tiny and empty, and can't form complex thoughts.

I feel like i have the IQ of a bird, or homer Simpson in that popular image.

Anyone else has this feeling of "emptyness" of the head?

Yes, it definitely can feel like that. Some times it's a lot worse than at other times. I hope it gets better for you soon.

I had taken antidepressants most of my life until Dec 2016. My memory is awful. People that I know would talk to me about something that happened involving myself in the past and I would have no memory of it. It never really dawned on me until recently why this may be. I also get brain fog a lot and cannot retain information very well, so at work I have to concentrate that but harder which can be exhausting.

I had this. My career (and sense of self) is founded in my ability to process and articulate information. Recovery from my reaction has been a nightmare on this front.

It has been a lot better this last year or so. It is still a nuisance in a wave although these are few and far between. What remains is the recovery from the trauma - trying not to ruminate those occasional moments where I do lose the word I'm looking for, as most people do from time to time.

Posted (edited)

Hi all

Just wanted to share what im experiencing and see if anyone can offer help/advice

Im at 17 months off and my main issue is with brain fog and poor comcentration and memory. Around 6 months ago things like caffine would set my nervous system crazy and id be sweating as if i was on acid. This seems to have subsided and i dont have many issues with anxiety like i did and this i put it down mainly to meditation daily.

I feel like other symptoms are lifting but the brain fog and poor memory is still the same. Every so often i have a wave and feel lile the world is against me but as time is going on im able to recognise this for what it is.

Anyone else going through similar things? Has anyones brain fog lifted and if it did how long did it take?

Edited by scallywag
merged topic

Does this ever get better ? I can't really write about my problem properly because of those symptoms, but I have cognitive symptoms and definitely feel like my intelligence is lower than it was before. I can't think at all, I always have a brain fog, and because of its severity I had to updose, but nothing really changed when it comes to my cognition.

I feel stupid and like I can't think and like I'll never be able to think and care about things. I was thinking in the past that I was developing Alzheimer's or any other type of dementia.

Generally, I feel like there's no cure, and I don't care about it because I don't have enough mental capacity to care. When I was only apathetic, I could still care, but now I really don't, about anything, and not feeling anything about it somehow makes me feel like I'm stupid. Like, hey, you're stupid, but who cares.

Nothing matters, nothing has its point, essence, I just float through my life pointlessly doing things without thinking about anything.

Give me some hope about cognition. I will start tapering again at the end of June, but I'm scared that my cognition would get worse.

Does this symptom get better ? I'm talking about thinking about things, giving them sense/point, knowing why you're doing and saying things, not being mindless. I hope you understand me. I'm physically not a zombie, but mentally... absolutely. This post probably isn't well-written, sorry. I'm just searching for some hope, and I hope I'll be able to form real thoughts once I start tapering and once I'm off the meds...

This symptom does indeed get better. I had a few bouts of this recently myself, where I just felt stupid. I even ended up crying out to my wife "I used to be a smart man!"

One of the things you can do is exercise your brain. Work on a puzzle or do a word game or even just play some cards with somebody.

Search out "neuroplasticity" on the forums here - you'll find all sorts of interesting info on how our brains, including our cognitive skills, will heal.

SJ

Thank you for your reply SJ, I'm glad that it does get better because this is awful.

If I find something interesting that helps my cognition, I will post it here, and if the person reading this knows anything, please write. I think it's not that talked on here about cognitive abilities much, but that's the thing bothering me pretty much.

hi apathetic I've dealt with this for a long time  ,I'm convinced its to do with panic and anxiety ,what ever stress is going on in the brain its bound to thick other aspects of our brain off kilter ,I suggest doing all the research you can but be careful with some of it ,it mite not have a scientific bases ,I don't believe there's a part of the brain been shut down.

that saying what did I walk into the room for is multiplied by a thousand for me  ,we can get in a panic state and then that just clouds our minds even further,I'm a huge fan of mindfulness and its amazing ,it helps  me be aware of my thoughts and I can focus better ,at my worst I would tell my partner to watch out after ide used the cooker and make sure the gas ring is off,ive left it on plenty of times :huh:,

its definitely worse when symptoms are bad so I prepare and be mindful that things will take longer too do ,but I get it done .

I don't think it helps thinking our IQ is dropping .

ide second what SJ has posted also

take care

PB

11 hours ago, powerback said:

hi apathetic I've dealt with this for a long time  ,I'm convinced its to do with panic and anxiety ,what ever stress is going on in the brain its bound to thick other aspects of our brain off kilter ,I suggest doing all the research you can but be careful with some of it ,it mite not have a scientific bases ,I don't believe there's a part of the brain been shut down.

that saying what did I walk into the room for is multiplied by a thousand for me  ,we can get in a panic state and then that just clouds our minds even further,I'm a huge fan of mindfulness and its amazing ,it helps  me be aware of my thoughts and I can focus better ,at my worst I would tell my partner to watch out after ide used the cooker and make sure the gas ring is off,ive left it on plenty of times :huh:,

its definitely worse when symptoms are bad so I prepare and be mindful that things will take longer too do ,but I get it done .

I don't think it helps thinking our IQ is dropping .

ide second what SJ has posted also

take care

PB

Thank you for your response PB. I'm not under any type of stress, because as my username says - I'm apathetic. I'm just mentally dead, but my nervous system is definitely under lots of stress because of all the chemicals I've been using. 
I can even tell that my cognition was better when I was anxious, I used to have periods where I really could think, but it still took a lot, lot of effort. 

I have enough energy to at least try to do some research, but it's hard for me to read, to be honest. My mind is both blank and foggy. I also don't believe that there's a part of brain that is shut down, I went to the magnetic resonance of the brain and everything is okay with my brain. It's like an invisible brain damage.

I can't even write anymore because of my inability to think, and I used to write a lot. It just doesn't have its spark, its uniqueness. I feel like I have a brain of a child who's still not mentally developed fully. Even my skills of describing my problem have decreased. You see, now I also think that I didn't describe it well, I'm sorry, but even if I tried, I'd fail (I'm trying all the time to do things right and make them as accurate as possible, I just can't, so I somehow gave up on that, which is not the thing I'm proud of). Maybe I became like: "Better sound stupid, than sound like you're trying to be smart when actually not being capable to".

Just to say i m going through the same. I have blank mind, and i cant think. I hope it will be better, i will try some advice you gave here. I hope my mind will be back. I miss him

and i feel kind of block in my brain, like i have brick in brain. And i have my hair go grey on front side of head, exactly where prefrontal cortex is, and ONLY there. That part of head is all grey. It can not be accidentally.