SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Difficulty when in final stretch? Why is tapering low doses so hard?

Cberg

Yes, i am the same, super sensitive to any anti depressant tried.  Just had26 days of trazodone and feeling worse.  Dont know how to get off. Dr just seemed to think stop taking but the insomnia is bad and the anxiety worse.  Anyone here know if short term trial of medication is able to be stopped

• 2 years later...

Its like in the song, Hotel California, "You can check out any time you like...BUT you can never leave!"

I'm at 30-mg Bupropion.  Back in October 2018 my initial dose was 300-mg.  I'm now at 10% my initial dosage.  Its hard now because I'm craving sweets and chocolate like my life depends on it.  Its not that I'm weak willed, its my blood sugar.  I think the drug affects my blood sugar.   I'm taking magnesium.  

I'm also having problems completing my goals, like writing papers, working out, etc.  I use to be a productive person - its killing me not to be able to do a high volume of activities and things. 

Another thing that a problem, my therapist is on Lexapro and she thinks Big Pharma is the best thing since sliced bread.  She doesn't want or can't get off her antidepressant.  When I vent my frustration at the tapering process - she stops me from telling her what I think about antidepressants and Big Pharma.  I feel that I was unlucky enough to be born in a dysfunctional family; a dysfunctional family who didn't teach me any life skills, but, as a child doped me up on antidepressants because I called my pedofiling uncle out before he could do anything to me and I was the truth-teller of the family.   Overwhelmed by life as a young adult is an understatement.  One of my first employers, back in the 80's before the METOO movement, gave me a choice to keep my job - put out or get out.  I got out.  Back to my family's hell hole.  I had a break down after the breakup of my boy-friend, my only support and was placed, first on Xanax and then to 'cover-up' the side effects of the poison, Bupropion.  Over twenty-five years of slavery to Big Pharma, health problems forced me to taper off.  To say I hate Big Pharma and the suffering I went through and problems I'm experiencing now is a understatement.  What frustrates me is my therapist doesn't want to hear it.   She wants to believe big companies like Big Pharma are hear to help the people, that antidepressants are our friends and the world is covered with unicorns, lollypops and sunshine.  If I could afford another therapist - I would.  

The good news is my parents are dead, I'm estranged from my toxic sister and, the family I'm in is healthier than my family of origin.  I have time and space to taper.  

This is how the system is set up, checking out is easy - but leaving is very, very difficult.  My doctor will only give me a certain number of prescriptions.  If I under estimate the amount of time I need at a certain dose, I'm SOL.  I do liquid, but get bad side effects on a liquid when the drug outs immediately in my system.   

1997-1999 Xanax 

1999-2000 Slow taper off of Xanax nonsupportive by my 'doctor' at the time. 

2000- 2018 Burpropion, first at 75 mg, then 100 mg, and finally 300 mg. 

2012-2018  Experienced 'poop symptoms: digestive issues, tumors, inability to tolerate stress, weight gain, etc. 

November 2018 - I decided to start a very slow taper. The initial dose was 300 mg

2022- As of March 17, at 22-mg Bupropion.  

2024 - As of Feb. 14, at 4.5-mg Bupropion

• Altostrata changed the title to Difficulty when in final stretch? Why is tapering low doses so hard?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy