Geminigirl: Hope for Healing

geminigirl

Hi

When I was tapering, I felt at times I would never get off the stuff but I did, two lots of meds.

I'm kinda tapering at the moment, but I do it so slow and over so long a time as to not notice wd symptoms, not to say they won't come, I would just adjust the dose back up and regroup should wds come.

It dead easy to say we will never get off but we do, we just have to be patient. Ive seen a lot of people get off a lot off stuff, and we all get there in the end.

Hang in there.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geminigirl

• Altostrata

• LexAnger

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you primrose :)

XOXOXO

2010 started 10 mg celexa, 2011 went up to 20 mg

06/2014 started tapering (20 mg,10 mg alternate days)

19/09/2014 crashed at 10 mg

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

August 31 2015- Started my 5% taper anyways

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

May 4 2016- Updosed to 15.5 mg to try and stabilize

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

• 1 month later...

Hey

Havent posted on here for a long time but I've been lurking. Anyways, about 5 months ago I crashed after too fast of a taper. Since then I updosed to my original dose and have been on it for almost 5 months.

I still feel weird though because of the crash from 5 months ago if that's believable. Mainly I get headaches and still have some confusion/brain fog as well as sensitivity to bright lights at night. It seems to have gotten a bit better though, at snail pace.

I also have been doing intensive therapy which has helped me a lot and it's made me more aware of myself and my emotions. After getting more in touch with myself, I've realized that this drug has affected me negatively, and not just the withdrawal stuff after the crash. I took this drug for intense anxiety and emotional breakdown back in 2010. I think it helped dull my emotions which is good, but now I want to FEEL everything again since I have got a better handle on my emotions. So now I realized that being still on this stuff has made me feel more dulled. Like I can't even fully feel raindrops on my face which I used to love.

I want to be off this ****. If I knew how strong this stuff was and how long it takes to get off it, I wouldn't have taken it. I would have rather smoked weed to relax.

Anyways. I'm mad that I feel so weird on these meds and emotional numb in a way. I really hope to stabilize totally and start tapering. I am thinking of starting my taper in September, hopefully a year is enough time to stabilize lol. I want to be as stable as possible before tapering. It just takes a lot of patience and also I feel like I am stuck with a weird brain I can't change for the time being. Also these meds I feel have mad me lose lots of neurons cuz i'm A LOT slower than I used to be and can't remember stuff as well. I can't imagine even being in school now cuz my brain is so fuzzy, and everything even feels fuzzy. Before I couldn't tell I was on a drug, but now I can, the more therapy I am doing and improving. BLAH.

Hope I will recover and go back to normal self. It just sucks it will take so much time.

Support needed :S :) Thanks guys.....Or just reassurance is needed :)

20/09/2014 updosed to 20 mg to try and stabilize- Never stabilized and CNS basically plummeted

May 3 2016- At 14 mg the tapering caught up with me- Withdrawal included severe anxiety, feeling like im on speed, suicidal and homicidal ideation, akathesia, feeling like I was on heroin, memory loss, PGAD, feeling like I was on an acid

​June 4- Started taking 2 mg 5 times a day which adds up to 10 mg because of akathesia when taking my full dose. Akathesia symtpoms smaller

July 27th- Dropped from 15.5 mg to 10 mg because could no longer tolerate taking drug- bad side effects mainly akathesia and emotional deadness.

​Oct 11- Improved a lot since May 4th after my crash. Withdrawal symptoms still left- DR/DP, emotional anasthesia, akathesia, tingling in head, feeling like my body and face disappears, messed up sound interpretation, perception and difficulty reading social and emotional cues during DR/DP, apathy, inability to tell if I am in dream or reality, disturbed sleep. Started having few windows

Anyone ?

Hello Geminigirl,

I do not know if I help you but I know precisely how you feel. When I originally withdrew from Lyrica, I also thought that the withdrawal would take two weeks, this would be hard and then it would go away. No way! My withdrawal takes already 3 months (I had also to reinstate back for sever withdrawal symptoms) and its always going and going and nothing really changes. However my symptoms are much harder than yours. Harm OCD, intrusive thoughts... I know it is hard to be patient (also for me), but maybe then , once you start tapering, it would be much easier when you dont have such strong symptoms. For this, if you have to wait until september, you have to follow your own feeling if you are prepared and steady enough to face withdrawal again, or ask someone more experienced on this forum. I wish you (and I also believe it) that all of your symptoms will suibside over the time, it is only noone from us knows how long it will take. Believe me it is hard for me too.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• 1 month later...

*post and two replies moved from tapering forum

Hi,

My name is geminigirl. I have an intro on this forum. I had a really bad crash September 2014. I tried to get past celexa way too quickly after 5 years cuz of the stupid doctor. Then I reinstated again after Septmeber 2014, but it was still really hard to get back to how I was before the crash.

Things have been a lot better, and slowly things have been better, but this past week I had a hard stressful week, and I had to use my head a lot. It's very important I have to use my head lately. But then today all of a sudden I got a back withdrawal again. My right eye got fuzzy, very bad brain fog and even amnesia. It was horrible. I have a very hard transition right now in life and I just need my head to work.

I still feel some withdrawal again and it was about half an hour or so of amnesia, but I just can't believe it's been so long and I still get withdrawal when I get stressed or need to use my brain a lot. It's ******* not right. What an atrocity these stupid ******* doctors did. Some people need to use their brain, it's important. And I feel like mine is **** ed up, even after 6 months after I have been using the same dose.

Edited by Petunia
added note

Hi Geminigirl, boy I sure can relate! I have had all those symptoms and hey, I need my brain too! who knew? I also was originally guided by doc to tweak my own Prozac up and down by a few milligrams every month with my periods, but boy, I have learned since then that that is a very bad idea. much as I hate weighing out the third decimal point on my digital scale, it is preferable to alternating doses ever, and alternating 10 mg at a time is very disturbing to your nervous system. Whatever you do right now, find one dose and stick to it for at least a month and probably much longer after you do all your research and then make your decision about it. try reading in this forum about slow tapers in the tapering section.  best of luck to you I am sending you lots of prayers and hugs

Ruby

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

I was doing fine, the withdrawal was slowly going away, but its like whenever I am stressed or need to study something, the withdrawal comes back badly. I still cant excersize a lot either.

I have been taking 20 mg of celexa for 6 months now, everyday, same time. And ******* withdrawal is still not gone. What the ****.

• Moderator Emeritus

geminigirl,

I moved the topic you started in the tapering section to your introduction thread here because it was related to your situation and not a question about tapering.  Please add information and updates about your changing circumstances, and ask questions here.

I'm sorry you've been thrown into a wave, caused by stress, this happens to a lot of people, after months of being ok, an increase in stress can bring back symptoms for a while.  Do the best you can to relieve the stress, take care of yourself and this will pass.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Can someone please reassure me? I want this withdrawal to end. Its been 6 months.

I need my brain to be normal and not have horrible headaches.

I am going through intensive therapy due to severe depression and I need my brain to work to get better.

I feel so depressed about this. I need my brain to work.

I'm in the same boat and I'm sorry..I'm 6 months into reinstating from high dose, fast taper and went to 0.

It does take a lot of time..and I'm frustrated and upset..I haven't been functioning really for yrs on this crap..had a strong feeling had to get off to get better..went to the doctor and followed his advice..bad idea. I feel bad cos I'm functioning worse than ever (although having windows of better than I've been for yrs).. So I just think what was the point of all that..it's worse than ever..but if I look back..I've had windows...some people are unable to reinstate and have the full brunt of severe WD..and I've had windows so that is a positive..have you had windows?

We just need to wait..we are finally getting good advice here as opposed to what the doctor has recommend..we are healing..although it is slow..I'm frustrated too..I thought I was doing the right thing coming off as per the doc advice..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Hey loveandlight, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. It does help to know im not alone although I hate other suffering through this **** too.

Did you try and reinstate after your fast taper? Did it just not work?

I went to 12.5mg after a week at 0...the week was unbelievable..all the mental symptoms and was stumbling about drunk..talking to myself and shouting constantly..so it eased the drunk ness, delerium..but I maybe did not go up enough but feels too late to change that..I tried to updose recently..and went badly..so I don't feel I have an option but just to sit here..I also cut by 5% in January which was too soon as I still wasn't stable..adhenoia had set in and I just felt omg..I have to start my taper and change something right now..but no..I just needed to hold again..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Although everyone's individual situation regarding doses and time frames is different, I do think that having a setback due to stress even after having stabilized is probably common, I know that sounds right to me. by way of reassurance I would venture to propose that the setback need not take as long to soothe as the original taper or reduction did, even though it feels when you are in it like just as bad or worse.

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

Hey thanks for replies.

Loveandlight- I actually was able to mostly stabilize from my huge crash 6 months ago, but not completely, and it doesn't seem to be getting much better. I still have sensitivity to bright lights at night, occasional headaches, occasional brain fog/confusion/memory loss.

Also the side effects of the meds are still affecting me including constant fatigue, memory loss/cognitive decline, and emotional numbness.

I hate this **** and want to be off! I feel imprisoned by them now.

I am wondering, do people think that my memory problems and cognitive decline is a withdrawal symptom, damage from the drug or a side effect? I have noticed my brain just is not as sharp now as it used to be, even 6 months ago and especially before the SSRIS.

Have people regained their full selves back after tapering, including their memory and cognition?

Still haven't stabilized after 6 months :(

Seems to get better, then worse. Still get bad headaches, sensitivity to light, extreme fatigue.

My CNS really did take a hard hit......Trying to hope I do fully recover and that the CNS just takes a while to recover.

I haven't even started tapering yet :( I'm gonna wait another few months to see if I stabilize some more, maybe another 6 months. I want to feel as good as I can before I start tapering.....

But ya, once your CNS is injured, it takes so long to recover :(

We need to work together to get this **** off the market. Or at least find more responsible doctors who don't give it out like candy. I hope  my body knows how to recover then I can throw it in the stupid doctors face.

• Moderator Emeritus

You got it right Geminigirl ,  once your cns is injured ,  it takes a long time to recover.

You might want to go to  www.RxISK.org and file a free report about the side effects you've experienced from celexa.  This is one way we can all help to fight this on a

higher level.

I wish you continued healing ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys just wondering if I should start tapering?

It's been almost 7 months of stabilizing. I still have a few symptoms left like fatigue, brain fog, weird perception of bright lights. But I think some of it is also the side effects of the meds.

Should I wait a bit longer to stabilize or has it been long enough?

Thanks

Cuz i'm thinking now, like it will take a long time from my cns to heal, and I don't want to wait another 1 or two years before im fully recovered to start tapering. If I taper slowly enough, 5% then my CNS wont notice probably...right? So might as well start tapering now? Cuz what if my cns doesn't go back to normal until like another 2 years, shouldn't I just start tapering now? Cuz its been 7 months since my crash....

• Administrator

What are you doing about your sensitivity to light?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Not much really. It's gotten better, just feels weird still.

It's not that bad...But it's almost like my vision is weirder than it was before, like I can't concentrate on everything or cant see everything but rather just one point. I can see it all but can't seem to perceive it all if that makes sense.

Does anybody know if I should start tapering?

Thanks

:( Nobody replied...

I don't know all that much about tapering Celexa but you might want to reduce just a very small amount to see how your system reacts---how are you tapering? 

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

Not much really. It's gotten better, just feels weird still.

It's not that bad...But it's almost like my vision is weirder than it was before, like I can't concentrate on everything or cant see everything but rather just one point. I can see it all but can't seem to perceive it all if that makes sense.

Hi

I have replied to you also on my thread. Thanks for writing to me there.

I have these visual problems too. Sometimes I feel I can see things moving slightly that aren't and sometimes it feels like I am looking through a net curtain and can't focus properly.

Must be the cit withdrawal - too much of a coincidence for us both to have it!

I can't advise on when to taper - I am asking myself the same questions. We are all different I guess. Hopefully a mod will give you some advice soon.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if I should finally stop tapering. I think the reason I feel crappy too is just the side effects if the meds. I am mostly stabilized but still get headaches and can't Excersize hard, also a bit of brain fog but that's it.

If I start tapering will I feel less numb and more alive? I just feel so blah on these meds like a sleepy zombie and I'm sure that's just the side effects. I've been noticing them a lot more lately the more present I've been with myself. I'm doing much better emotionally and don't need to be on this ****.

Would my withdrawal symptoms get worse though? I'm planning on tapering only 5% per month.

Could someone reply?

Anyone?

Hi geminigirl--  It is such a hard question to answer.  I'm going to be evasive and sound like a shrink here.  Do you feel ready to start?  

It sounds to me that you are starting to stabilize, it usually takes about this long.  Stabilization is not the absence of symptoms, but rather having the symptoms level out to a steady level, no huge swings up or down.  From the level of frustration I can read in your posts I think it is time to start taking some action.  Tapering at 5% a month sounds like a good place to start.  To my thinking a month is a bit to quick though, as you need to stabilize on each new dose before dropping to the next.  I have had very good success with a six week schedule.  Keep in mind that every time you make a drop there will probably be a flair up of the symptoms, then over the course of several weeks they will settle back down.  As you drop down in dose the emotional numbness should slowly start to melt away as should the headaches.  At least that is the way it happened for me.  It won't happen in a smooth transition, more like two steps forward and one and three quartiers steps back, but the symptoms do improve over time, lots and lots of time.

Hope that helps a little.

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks brass monkey. That helped a lot! Hope your tapering is going well! I think maybe I should wait a bit longer as in still going through intensive emotional therapy, but ya fairly soon I'll start tapering and I'll take your advice of the 6 week tapering instead of monthly.

Do you think it makes a difference if I do 5% tapering or 10?

if I am reading your posts correctly and you have been on the same dose for 7 months then it might be time to start tapering by 5%. if you wait till you are perfect you will wait forever. we are getting off these drugs because we feel bad being on them.

when I do reductions I feel more alive for about 3 days and then the wd hits me and i panic and cry. i have learned the hard way to slow down my tapers and make them smaller. 

the dillemma of it all is that we cannot be ultimately sure if our symptoms are withdrawal, or side effects, or both. Probably both. All psychiatric drugs cause chronic brain impairment. the good news is that is it reversible, but it takes patience.

sending you love and hugs

Brass Monkey and Ruby Tuesday - I thought you had  good answers to Gemini Girls dilemna. I am waiting to stabilise too after 4 months of same dose. I am convinced that my symptoms are a combination of withdrawal and side effects but i stand to be corrected. I get some relief each evening/night for a couple of hours before I take the next pill!!

Soon I am going to have to decide when to start tapering and will be in the same situation as GG. Thanks for your input which is all food for thought.

Flowers x

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

5% should be gentler.  If you're in no hurry I would opt for that.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Okay thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ruby Tuesday and Brass Monkey.

I read over the posts again and just wanted to say thanks! I am so glad this is all reversible like ruby Tuesday said. I was getting so worried ill have withdrawal forever just like most people are worried.

I want to start tapering soon. Will tapering make me feel more alive or will there be bad withdrawal symptoms too even with a 5 percent drop every 6 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling angry/sad today.

I haven't started tapering yet. It's been almost 8 months since I reinstated to original dose after bad crash. I still get headaches and can't exersize. Feeling a bit down regarding that.

I want to start tapering soon but worried withdrawal symptoms will be bad and I need my brain and body to be somewhat normal right now because i'm still going through intense emotional therapy :(

Worried as everyone else I won't recovery and will never get my old healthy brain back.

There was nothing wrong with me. I never needed this ****. I was always a healthy girl, I just had a difficult childhood. I just needed love, which I found now, but i'm angry that these heartless psychiatrists and doctors gave me poison.

Shame on them. In med school they should ask people questions about how kind and caring they are, because I feel like they just hire assholes with degrees.

Disgusting pill pushers and heartless money hungry assholes who ruin other people.