vetdoc going off valium and Wellbutrin

vetdoc

vetdoc, I wish I knew what to say or suggest that would help you with this decision. I'll make sure the other moderators are aware of your question.

Thank you scallywag. 

I'm in big trouble here, more then any time in my life.  If this continues I can't go much longer without some relief.   It's a brutal decision for me but If it means I turn this around and more so, stay out of the hospital I may need to try the meds.  I could cry right now.

polyharmacy cocktail  FEB 2012 after hospital release , Wellbutrin 300mg xl once day, Lamictal 200mg daily, Klonopin 2mg Doxepin 7mg

Klonopin micro taper started Dec  2012, C/O to 20mg Valium 12/2013, down to 1.5mg as of 10/01/2014,  updose to 1.6mg valium Oct 10/2014, updosed 2mg valium December 18 2014

Wellbutrin taper from 300mg, started  Jan 2015,  Wellbutrin 275mg, Jan 24 2015,  wellbutrin 250 mg, Feb 25,2015   225mg wellbutrin June 5, 200mg,July 2015, updosed 225mg, September 2015, 206mg, October, 2015 187.5mg, November  updosed to 200mg  May 2015, wellbutri167mg

Currently     Wellbutrin 187mg,      Lamictal 200mg,   Valium 2mg,    Doxepin 5.4mg July 09/16

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vetdoc

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

• savinggrace

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

vetdoc, are you in crisis or is your family in crisis?

It seems to me that they are participating way too much in your own personal decision-making and adding to your anxiety. I'm glad your pdoc was not swayed by this.

Is the "crisis" that you are losing weight and have no appetite? Or is the crisis the pressure you are feeling from your family?

Is there anything that you like to eat? To stabilize your weight, you might emphasize things you'd normally avoid, like adding butter to your baked potato, etc. Increase your caloric intake (in a safe way, of course), eat more of the things you like. You might want to add something like whey protein isolate shakes.

Your autonomic nervous system has had a shock from the drug changes, this affects your digestion and appetite, too. Hang in there, take care of yourself. If your family insists on "helping" you, I would ask them to stop talking about taking you to the hospital -- you find it upsetting -- and help you make tasty food for yourself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Vetdoc, Sorry such a hard time! Just a couple of comments based on my n=1 experience..When I have upped drugs during this endless tapering, it helped very quickly, like within 2 hours. Three times I took a downer I had come off of completely or was tapering and had such an exaggerated response. If you want to up the Valium, I wouldn't take more than a 10% increase at most to see how you respond (I personally have no opinion on the wisdom of this).

I started what has turned out to be a stressful-for-me job in late March (my stress tolerance is so low). These are supplements that have been helpful, no idea how you might respond: phosphadidylserine has helped the most...my pdoc says usual dose is 200 mg at bedtime, I seem best on 100 mg TID. It's one you have to build up to slowly. Lemon balm helped, usual dose is maybe 1000 mg BID, I took 400mg BID but I stopped dreaming and lost the progress I had made in regaining sense of smell so weaned off. Fish oil, I use Carlson's liquid, 1 tsp BID. GABA in varying dosages. Vitamin B6, zinc, niacin, and magnesium have been mainstays for me for a long time. Ashwaghandha. It's expensive, but I have been able to keep working. Inositol.

You might try a functional doctor who can do extensive poop testing, including DNA identification of your microbiome. My pdoc says he's never seen a psych pt. without gut problems, and you probably know inflammation/gut problems are implicated in diabetes.

Don't know if any of this might help, you probably just need to settle from surgery, but I write it just as a gesture of my best wishes for you!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi Vetdoc, Sorry such a hard time! Just a couple of comments based on my n=1 experience..When I have upped drugs during this endless tapering, it helped very quickly, like within 2 hours. Three times I took a downer I had come off of completely or was tapering and had such an exaggerated response. If you want to up the Valium, I wouldn't take more than a 10% increase at most to see how you respond (I personally have no opinion on the wisdom of this).

I started what has turned out to be a stressful-for-me job in late March (my stress tolerance is so low). These are supplements that have been helpful, no idea how you might respond: phosphadidylserine has helped the most...my pdoc says usual dose is 200 mg at bedtime, I seem best on 100 mg TID. It's one you have to build up to slowly. Lemon balm helped, usual dose is maybe 1000 mg BID, I took 400mg BID but I stopped dreaming and lost the progress I had made in regaining sense of smell so weaned off. Fish oil, I use Carlson's liquid, 1 tsp BID. GABA in varying dosages. Vitamin B6, zinc, niacin, and magnesium have been mainstays for me for a long time. Ashwaghandha. It's expensive, but I have been able to keep working. Inositol.

You might try a functional doctor who can do extensive poop testing, including DNA identification of your microbiome. My pdoc says he's never seen a psych pt. without gut problems, and you probably know inflammation/gut problems are implicated in diabetes.

Don't know if any of this might help, you probably just need to settle from surgery, but I write it just as a gesture of my best wishes for you!

Hi Meime

I am so frustrated, I just can't get out of this funk, I feel paralyzed,  I wake up every morning hoping to feel better and I just feel catatonic, fatiqued.  My mind is numb, like it's shut down, like there is no chemicals (dopamine, serotonin) to elevate my mood and get my mind working normally. 

I was just had blood tests for B12, folate, VIT D3 and homocysteine.       My B12  was normal low end,  folate was deficient, and homocysteine was high out of the highest range. 

I didn't know much about homocysteine, it's part of the methylation process along with B12 and folate to produce dopamine and serotinin, and is integral in neuro transmission.  I read up on it and supposedly high levels of homocysteine indicate a problem with the metyhlation  process and can cause depression due to possible low dopamine and serotonin being produced in the brain.  My regular DR said I shouldn't worry about it.  My P doc said there is early research that it could be a factor in depression.  I don't know if this could be a factor in whats happening to me all of a sudden.  I'm confused.

I don't know if anyone on the board knows anything about homocysteine.

polyharmacy cocktail  FEB 2012 after hospital release , Wellbutrin 300mg xl once day, Lamictal 200mg daily, Klonopin 2mg Doxepin 7mg

Klonopin micro taper started Dec  2012, C/O to 20mg Valium 12/2013, down to 1.5mg as of 10/01/2014,  updose to 1.6mg valium Oct 10/2014, updosed 2mg valium December 18 2014

Wellbutrin taper from 300mg, started  Jan 2015,  Wellbutrin 275mg, Jan 24 2015,  wellbutrin 250 mg, Feb 25,2015   225mg wellbutrin June 5, 200mg,July 2015, updosed 225mg, September 2015, 206mg, October, 2015 187.5mg, November  updosed to 200mg  May 2015, wellbutri167mg

Currently     Wellbutrin 187mg,      Lamictal 200mg,   Valium 2mg,    Doxepin 5.4mg July 09/16

• Administrator

Read this about homocysteine http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03423/Elevated-Homocysteine.htmlHow's your intake of green leafies? They make fine smoothies with whey protein isolate and give you those B vitamins naturally.

I am not surprised you feel catatonic and fatigued. As we've explored before, 3 of your drugs can interact in a way to exaggerate this feeling. Benzos alone can do it, with the additional side effect of "depression."

vetdoc, this has been a theme in your posts: Whether you need drugs to be "normal" (whatever that is).

Only you can decide this. I am concerned that the environment in your home is contributing to your lack of self-confidence and increasing your anxiety and illness. This is not a good time to work out any flaws in your close relationships, but at a minimum you must ask your near and dear to respect your wishes not to go into the hospital and throw more drugs into a cocktail that is already debilitating.

Your family may believe that everybody gets fixed by drugs. You may believe yourself that if you get just the right cocktail, this will fix you up. You need to decide how much this makes sense for you. Are you willing to embark on a long trial-and-error process to find the right drug mix? If so, you need to discuss this (alone) with your pdoc.

Or do you want to minimize your drug burden? If so, you need your family to at least back off if they can't support you in this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Vetdoc,

I am so very sorry to hear this, but boy do I understand.  We are similar is so many ways.  I will be 62 this year and you are 69?  So that might be one reason we are struggling more than some others.  We metabolize slower and differently as we age.

I, too, feel like I am in full-blown withdrawal and I haven't changed my meds since May 28th and I didn't have surgery.  The ever-present torturous question is, "is this withdrawal in the middle of a hold?"  "are these healing symptoms as my brain remodels from the tapering I have done to date?" "is this ever going to stop?" "is this side effects from my other drugs making themselves more loudly heard now?"

I hear you...if you get the answer to any of these questions, would you please pass them along.  I am sleeping no more than one hour at a time, with electric shock feelings all through the night.  I am so fatigued I can't do much but lay on the couch or in bed.  I have no idea what to do next.  I can't eat, not because I don't have an appetite but because my GI system is shot.

As far as your family goes, I understand. I am not sure what I would do if I were you.  I can't tell you to try harder because I know how ludicrous that feels to hear.  You can only "fake it" so much.  The only person who knows that I am in withdrawal of any kind is my husband.  I have never trusted anyone to understand or to honor my wishes or not deem me just another addict.  I will go to my grave, hopefully, with only my doctors and my husband knowing about this horrible dependence/withdrawal that I have suffered with for 2 decades.  They just think I'm sick and/or crazy.  I prefer that over them judging me, w/o fully taking the time to understand how this happens to millions of people.  Food addictions, even alcohol addictions seem to be more understood and accepted, but prescription drugs?  ADDICTION...just go to re-hab and you'll get over it!

I am praying for you Vetdoc.  No matter what you choose to do, I understand.  Sometimes we have to do what doesn't feel at all right because it's our only choice.

Grace

Grace I know you understand whats happening with me and family right now and I appreciate it so much.

Im not feeling well so I can't type much

Thanks for always caring

peace

I am praying for you and your family, vetdoc. I know exactly where you are, and the emotions you feel. It is inhumane. No one should suffer this much. I am so sorry.

Try not to worry about the methylation and homocysteine stuff. You have enough to deal with. Starting supplements now will only confuse you more. Eat whatever you can, and think as little as you can. No worries about a reply ever.

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  • currently 2024 still on 98 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

What approach do you want: does it help you to fight (like by studying and experimenting), pursue psychological relief w therapy, do you need relief at any cost, patient perseverance, does lamenting help? There is no right or wrong way, but I think we all have our own style. If you want to read how complex methylation ideas and choices are you can read the b vitamins and methylation thread ( or have your wife?).

You wake up feeling awful, then what happens?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey VetDoc - sorry to hear you are struggling.  You are so giving to other people on site - you deserve to heal, too.

I haven't finished reading your thread, but my husband had a total / radical / prostatectomy or whatever they call that - and the damage from the surgery - this was major surgery - took him over 3 months until he was not extremely tired all the time just from healing tissue damage.  He took a lot of daily naps for the first 3-6 months.   Add to that the complications of lifestyle changes that come with the surgery - and it took him more like 6-8 months before he was feeling himself again.  (and he was healthy, not tapering, not in withdrawal)

He did have an aggressive cancer, and a clear boundary of the cancer was contained within the prostate, so they believe they got it all.  He still takes tons of turmeric and vitamin C, however, to keep the inflammation down, and he has to take extra care that he doesn't get UTI.

I guess what I'm saying is - it was major surgery and not so long ago.  Someone in withdrawal would have longer healing times.  Please be patient with yourself.  Fatigue is a natural way of your body telling you to slow down, it would like to heal.

I would give yourself at least 6 months just to recover from surgery.  Without even thinking about tapering or withdrawal.  Be patient with yourself, and as gentle to yourself as you are to the other members here at SA.  

I hope you feel better soon.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Read this about homocysteine http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03423/Elevated-Homocysteine.htmlHow's your intake of green leafies? They make fine smoothies with whey protein isolate and give you those B vitamins naturally.

I am not surprised you feel catatonic and fatigued. As we've explored before, 3 of your drugs can interact in a way to exaggerate this feeling. Benzos alone can do it, with the additional side effect of "depression."

vetdoc, this has been a theme in your posts: Whether you need drugs to be "normal" (whatever that is).

Only you can decide this. I am concerned that the environment in your home is contributing to your lack of self-confidence and increasing your anxiety and illness. This is not a good time to work out any flaws in your close relationships, but at a minimum you must ask your near and dear to respect your wishes not to go into the hospital and throw more drugs into a cocktail that is already debilitating.

Your family may believe that everybody gets fixed by drugs. You may believe yourself that if you get just the right cocktail, this will fix you up. You need to decide how much this makes sense for you. Are you willing to embark on a long trial-and-error process to find the right drug mix? If so, you need to discuss this (alone) with your pdoc.

Or do you want to minimize your drug burden? If so, you need your family to at least back off if they can't support you in this.

Alto

I appreciate your discerning post.  I know I have to decide for myself if I can endure whats happening to me right now or continue to wait it out.  The way I feel now and the loss of appetite, anxiety and low mood  is exactly what happened to me 5 yrs ago when I was put on these drugs.  That is why it  is concerning to me because it feels way more then just withdrawals, which I always endured and pulled out of it.

It's almost surreal at this point, and I'm confused on what to do.  If I had a crystal ball and knew that this is all withdrawals and eventually it will pass I could stay the course.  Obviously we don't know the future.  So I have to make a critical decision ,    I feel like I'm fading here, lost so much weight and so fatiqued I'm beginning to look fraiI. I lost another 5 lbs getting weighed at the DR.  I know at my age if I get to frail it can and will take it's toll on me eventually.

If I was an overweight person then the weight loss would not be as concerning because I could lose  a lot of weight and still be ok.  However I am a very thin person even at my original weight of 173lb I looked thin, but now at 157lb I am getting emaciated . It's not like I want to use meds to break out of this downward spiral, believe me.  I'm just so worried and not getting any better, losing more weight. every week.

My internist is more concerned with my weight loss and wants me to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy. in next 2 weeks, which would require propofol.  He thinks it is  important to do this to rule out any organic lesion in my intestinal tract.  I hope the propofol doesn't hurt me,  only 7 weeks after my surgery.  What do you think??

What approach do you want: does it help you to fight (like by studying and experimenting), pursue psychological relief w therapy, do you need relief at any cost, patient perseverance, does lamenting help? There is no right or wrong way, but I think we all have our own style. If you want to read how complex methylation ideas and choices are you can read the b vitamins and methylation thread ( or have your wife?).

You wake up feeling awful, then what happens?

Hi

Meime

I wake up and feel really down,so very fatigued.  I take 150mg wellbutrin and 200mg lamictal.   The meds wake me up some, not really do much for my depressed mood possibly slightl help.    Some days are much worse then others, with no hope feelings and very depressed and physical illness..  It seems my mood gets darker later in the day and evening.  I really can't pull out of them at all, it's very scary, because I can't go on like this for very much longer.  I'm so lost and confused , never have been like this in my life.  There is something more then withdrawals here I believe, but don't know what.

My internist is still looking for an organic cause for the severe weight loss running many tests to check for everything.  Sometimes I do feel like I may have some type of malignancy somewhere in my body with the weight loss ,fatigue and zero appetite.

I'm not sure depression and mental stuff could make me   feel this way and cause all my symptoms and have me fading away.

Hey VetDoc - sorry to hear you are struggling.  You are so giving to other people on site - you deserve to heal, too.

I haven't finished reading your thread, but my husband had a total / radical / prostatectomy or whatever they call that - and the damage from the surgery - this was major surgery - took him over 3 months until he was not extremely tired all the time just from healing tissue damage.  He took a lot of daily naps for the first 3-6 months.   Add to that the complications of lifestyle changes that come with the surgery - and it took him more like 6-8 months before he was feeling himself again.  (and he was healthy, not tapering, not in withdrawal)

He did have an aggressive cancer, and a clear boundary of the cancer was contained within the prostate, so they believe they got it all.  He still takes tons of turmeric and vitamin C, however, to keep the inflammation down, and he has to take extra care that he doesn't get UTI.

I guess what I'm saying is - it was major surgery and not so long ago.  Someone in withdrawal would have longer healing times.  Please be patient with yourself.  Fatigue is a natural way of your body telling you to slow down, it would like to heal.

I would give yourself at least 6 months just to recover from surgery.  Without even thinking about tapering or withdrawal.  Be patient with yourself, and as gentle to yourself as you are to the other members here at SA.  

I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Jan

It sounds like your husband had a rough time.  Glad he did well. 

I know it can take a long time to heal.  Im just losing so much weight  it's concerning myself and the DRs.     Hopefully over the next few weeks somthing will be figured out.

I appreciate your caring concern

Edited by Altostrata
removed duplicate quote

Hi vetdoc,

No, I am not a mod but I have been through a lot of what you are going through.

My GI doc is concerned about my weight too. Do you mind telling us how tall you are? Just wondering as my husband is 5'10" and weighs about 157.

I don't think it's a stretch to conclude that you have lost this weight because you have no appetite. No Intake equals weight loss. I know why I have lost 15 pounds...I am eating less. If you aren't eating, you know why you are losing weight. An endoscopy/colonoscopy prep and recovery will take its toll on you, and you will have to expect that. Or you can just force yourself to eat high calorie food and see if you gain weight before you muddy the waters w/ more invasive testing. I am not a doctor, but doctors to tend to get alarmed by weight loss as mostly they see weight gain. Have you tried sipping Ensure or shakes or something like that? Surely there is something you can eat.

Did you read Jan Carol's post? There is so much hope there; so much. I know you don't want to hear it may take months, but there is every reason to believe you have suffered a setback because of the surgery and 2 hours of anesthesia and probably pain meds. You had a trauma and you weren't well to start with!

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is eat, try hard to accept that time will heal this, and try hard not to worry.

BTW, you could re-send this message to me...I was in a funk all day, didn't eat, and don't know what to do myself. I tell you this only to illustrate that I say none of it lightly as I have a lot of trouble practicing what I preach. Forgive me if any of this sounds dismissive. I understand your desperation and suffering all too well.

Peace to you. I know you want to hear from the mods but it is hard to read your pain and not respond.

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-2023 tapered trileptal to 98 mg.  had to completely stop tapering due to multiple chronic, serious health issues
  •   Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.   The diazepam is way weaker and brought on severe acute w/d
  • Current dose of diazepam is 7.9 and valium is 6.6.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

Hi vetdoc,

No, I am not a mod but I have been through a lot of what you are going through.

My GI doc is concerned about my weight too. Do you mind telling us how tall you are? Just wondering as my husband is 5'10" and weighs about 157.

I don't think it's a stretch to conclude that you have lost this weight because you have no appetite. No Intake equals weight loss. I know why I have lost 15 pounds...I am eating less. If you aren't eating, you know why you are losing weight. An endoscopy/colonoscopy prep and recovery will take its toll on you, and you will have to expect that. Or you can just force yourself to eat high calorie food and see if you gain weight before you muddy the waters w/ more invasive testing. I am not a doctor, but doctors to tend to get alarmed by weight loss as mostly they see weight gain. Have you tried sipping Ensure or shakes or something like that? Surely there is something you can eat.

Did you read Jan Carol's post? There is so much hope there; so much. I know you don't want to hear it may take months, but there is every reason to believe you have suffered a setback because of the surgery and 2 hours of anesthesia and probably pain meds. You had a trauma and you weren't well to start with!

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is eat, try hard to accept that time will heal this, and try hard not to worry.

BTW, you could re-send this message to me...I was in a funk all day, didn't eat, and don't know what to do myself. I tell you this only to illustrate that I say none of it lightly as I have a lot of trouble practicing what I preach. Forgive me if any of this sounds dismissive. I understand your desperation and suffering all too well.

Peace to you. I know you want to hear from the mods but it is hard to read your pain and not respond.

Grace

Grace

I know you would never be dismissive with me.  You are one of the most caring people on this board.

I am 5ft 10.5" now weighing 157.  I am very concerned about the whole prep and anesthesia taking its toll at this point.  One of the reasons for the endoscopy is I am having severe substernal pain and burning every day in my esophagus.  I have bad gerd, but this burning pain is really difficult.. I have been cutting out  the prilosec which may have something to do with it.  I may have to go back on the prilosec until I start to feel better.

I will see how it goes for a a few more days and have to make a decision on the endoscopy.

Im wondering if the endoscopy by itself without the colonoscopy would be less stressful to my system.  I dont think there is a prep for that, just not eating early evening, night before.  The propofol anesthesia even though short might still  cause problems?  What do you think.

Yes, no appetite, less calories taken in then burned causes weight loss. Thats probably the most likely reason, rather then a severe disease entity.

It's amazing what has happened to my appetite.  It is hard to believe that symptoms of depression and anxiety can do this.

I did read the post, there is a lot of hope in JanCarol post and I appreciate it.

I will try and eat more, high calorie food.  I'm really trying to have hope here that this will turn around and I will be OK.  It's very hard right now as you know. Sometimes the physical pain and emotional pain are overwhelming.

Grace I am sending you the same message you sent me, take care of yourself, try and eat and may you get well soon.  I will pray for you.

Peace

Have you considered that this is rebound reflux from going off GERD meds? It's hard to tell. I have Barrett's and I take no meds for it but stick to the GERD diet completely. I do feel like I have an elephant sitting on my chest every once in a while, but it passes.

My endoscopy took about 15 minutes and I asked them not to use any fentanyl or zofran (for nausea) and they didn't and I was fine.

I had it June 1st and I feel like I am in withdrawal during a hold since the end of May. I have no idea if 15 minutes of propofol hurt, but it probably didn't help.

I am wondering why your doctor is so concerned about your weight. My husband's doctor think his weight is ideal for his height. (Or a little over if anything). Probably the rapidity of your weight loss is the alarm signal. EAT!

Sometimes we have to do tests to alleviate our worries. The chest pain gets pretty scary but I've had two endoscopies since this past December, so I know what it is, and I wait for it to pass. A hot water bottle on my chest helps. You have to decide if you can live w/ the pain w/o undue anxiety. If not, just do it. You don't need more anxiety. I would be concerned about the colonoscopy prep. Do you have symptoms other than weight loss? Rhetorical question...

Thanks for your kind words. I spent the whole darn day researching food sensitivities and testing and have concluded nothing. Feeling hopeless myself. Eating not what I should; but what I want to and what I can.

Kindred spirits, I think.

Grace

• Administrator

Wellbutrin alone can depress appetite. If you're taking it in the morning, and shortly after you feel a burst of energy, that would be the Wellbutrin. It is known for being stimulating. (It's unlikely that the Lamictal would do this.)

We discussed possible adverse effects from Lamictal -- one is nausea -- and possibly splitting the dose to reduce the side effects. Is nausea keeping you from eating?

I had a colonoscopy without any drugs at all (though I did have to do the laxatives). It was no more uncomfortable than a sigmoidoscopy and I'm a small woman, we're supposed to be the most complicated colonoscopy.

You need to taper Prilosec or you'll get rebound GERD that's worse than before. How have you been going off Prilosec?

What is your dosing schedule for all your drugs now?

Is there anything in your home life that would cause you to feel down?

Hi vetdoc,

Hope you are doing okay...

Grace

Wellbutrin alone can depress appetite. If you're taking it in the morning, and shortly after you feel a burst of energy, that would be the Wellbutrin. It is known for being stimulating. (It's unlikely that the Lamictal would do this.)

We discussed possible adverse effects from Lamictal -- one is nausea -- and possibly splitting the dose to reduce the side effects. Is nausea keeping you from eating?

I had a colonoscopy without any drugs at all (though I did have to do the laxatives). It was no more uncomfortable than a sigmoidoscopy and I'm a small woman, we're supposed to be the most complicated colonoscopy.

You need to taper Prilosec or you'll get rebound GERD that's worse than before. How have you been going off Prilosec?

What is your dosing schedule for all your drugs now?

Is there anything in your home life that would cause you to feel down?

Here is were I am right now, not good! 

Quite a few things happened in the past week, with my pdoc , and my meds.

I probably did some very foolish things with my meds with my Pdoc and family influence

First I tried .25mg klonopin one dose and I felt poorly so I went back to 2mgValium.  Then 2 days later on my Pdocs advice I tried a one time dose of 5mg of valium and felt poorly so back to my 2mg normal dose I have been on for over a year.  

Will the  the 2 up doses doses several days apart  destabilize me, after being on 2mg Valium for so long.  I felt at the time although with great trepidation I would try a small updose  to appease everybody.  It appears it backfired and the benzos reacted poorly in my brain.

My Pdoc also had me increase my lamictal to 250mg from 200mg.  I have done that for 2 days and no improvement in my symptoms.  Did I not take it long enough to see a result?  

I don't know if I should just go back to 200mg Lamictal dose at this point.  Do you think I get withdrawal symptoms after 2 days at higher dose and dropping back down now to 200mg or 225mg??

Lastly I developed a UTI 2 days ago and was put on a sulpha antibiotic which is causing me nausea, further loss of appetite and some interaciton with my drugs. 

I can't believe after all these years of tapering and knowing not to mess with doses I was a fool and listened to others.  I don't know how badly I destabilized myself further then  I already was from all this.  I'm so lost right now between my meds and feeling so poorly it's hard to think straight.

Let me know what you think please and where I go from here.  I am on my own in all this.

Thanks

Hi vetdoc,

Hope you are doing okay...

Grace

Hi Grace

I have not been doing well at all.  still no appetite, incredible fatique, anxiety depression and some increased insomnia.  Canceled my endoscopy

I did some very foolish med adjustments which I posted above to Alto.  I may have destabilized even further.

Im' at a complete loss here and hanging on by a thread right now.  I feel extremely sick and fear for my future. I'm so dysfunctional at this point.

It;s hard to believe this all started after surgery and down hill from there

Hope you are doing better Grace

Peace

Hi vetdoc,

I am very sorry about everything.

I thought I had to share something I learned this year about UTI's and anti-biotics. Now I learned this this year when my 98 year old mother-in-law got a UTI and took anti-biotics, so she has 30 years on you. Keep that in mind. But as we age, our kidneys get stressed and when we have a UTI they are more stressed and then we take an anti-biotic and it stresses them more and our kidneys can't eliminate toxins. . In her case, she was completely destabilized by the drugs (crazy talk and behavior...crazy) when I looked up UTi's and the elderly, (definition of elderly?) this is a common side effect. So...if your symptoms get exaggerated, AND THEY MAY NOT, it will be temporary. My mother in law was better in a couple days after finishing them. Remember this may not happen to you...but if it does, you will get better! Increase in confusion, agitation, or forgetfulness can all be chalked up to the anti-biotic. I do not assume your doctor told you this. Doctors neglect to tell us these things. We learned it on the Internet.

Perhaps your family learned leaving well enough alone is best w/ the changes this week? Or that there is no easy fix?

I am the same. Still holding w/ small windows and big waves. Trying to keep eating. I am forcing myself. I have no appetite for the foods I tolerate.

Please be kind to yourself and trust your instincts.

You are included in my prayers.

Grace

• Administrator

I am sorry you're having to deal with antibiotics now, too, vetdoc.

Up above, I discussed splitting the Lamictal dose at some length. Do you still get nausea or headache when you take it?

I'm still not clear about your dosing and symptom pattern.

Your symptom pattern is essential to figuring out what might help. Since you've made recent changes, we will need to wait to see what your new symptom pattern is. Are you keeping notes every day?

You need to take charge of this yourself, and keeping notes is one way to do this.

I am sorry you're having to deal with antibiotics now, too, vetdoc.

Up above, I discussed splitting the Lamictal dose at some length. Do you still get nausea or headache when you take it?

I'm still not clear about your dosing and symptom pattern.

Your symptom pattern is essential to figuring out what might help. Since you've made recent changes, we will need to wait to see what your new symptom pattern is. Are you keeping notes every day?

You need to take charge of this yourself, and keeping notes is one way to do this.

Hi Alto

I take the wellbutrin in AM

100mg lamictal in AM

18.75 mg Wellbutrin 3:00 PM

100mg Lamictal 300 PM

3mg  melatonin .12:00 AM

2mg valium 1:00 AM

6mg Doxipen  2:00AM

I can't get to bed much earlier with my chronic insomnia

My symptom pattern since my surgery is severe increased anxiety upon awakening and continues thruout the day.  I'm  also dealing with some depression as well. lack of appetite

The wellbutrin is somewhat activating

Lamictal for me may also be somewhat activiating  unfortunately

• Administrator

Has your symptom pattern changed since you moved some Lamictal and Wellbutrin to 3 p.m.?

Wellbutrin is also well-known for being an appetite suppressant.

Has your symptom pattern changed since you moved some Lamictal and Wellbutrin to 3 p.m.?

Wellbutrin is also well-known for being an appetite suppressant.

It's probably to early to tell, only moved them about 2 days ago.  Wellbutrin  definitely is an appetite suppressant  and weight loss med. Probably why I was pretty thin and didn't gain weight throughout the years on it.   Now after my surgery and weight loss it is not helping with my appetite.

Maybe in a few weeks I can drop the 18.75 mg down to 150mg

I really think Lamictal may be activating for me even though I know it suppose suppress glutamate and be calming.   I know it can cause insomnia just like the Wellbutrin.  So not to good for my insomnia.

I will need to see if my insomnia worsens taking the lamictal at 3:00 PM

My Pdoc thought going up fro  200 to 250 mg on the lamictal might help with my anxiety and depression.  What do you think? 

• Administrator

More Lamictal is not better. Too much Lamictal is activating, that is why I suggested splitting the dose, as well as to reduce side effects.

If you already think Lamictal is activating -- your daily symptom notes will be important to determine this -- increasing the dosage will make it more activating.

More Lamictal is not better. Too much Lamictal is activating, that is why I suggested splitting the dose, as well as to reduce side effects.

If you already think Lamictal is activating -- your daily symptom notes will be important to determine this -- increasing the dosage will make it more activating.

Alto

The trimethoprin sulpha antibiotics I'm taking are wreaking havoc on my system.  I'm nauseous, increased anxiety, and marked insomnia.  They also have an interaction with one of my meds Doxipen. 

I almost feel like I'm having withdrawal  symptoms from the antibiotic.  Is this possible?

• Moderator Emeritus

These might not be called withdrawal symptoms but antibiotics are definitely bad for people like us and they would account for the increase in your symptoms. Try to google surviving antidepressants antibiotics.

There isn't much we can do about it except avoid certain types and take probiotics. Hope you finish the treatment soon and then you will bounce back. Once I even stopped my treatment because the kind of symptoms you describe were too strong.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 4 years later...
  • Administrator

@vetdoc how are you?