SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Why? high doses always?

crazykatie

I'm just really curious about my drug cocktail n other people's cocktails or doses.

It appears to me that my pdoc was over eagerly prescribing meds. I was never started on low doses of my meds.

I started at 6 mg of invega then upped to 9 mg in two weeks

My Prozac started on 40mg

My wellbutrin was started at 300 mg then upped to 450mg

Lamotrigine was started at 300 mg

Trazadone lowest dose 150 mg

Xanax 2 mg

Ritalin 30 mg 3 times a day!!

It just seems like my pdoc went crazy on prescription meds n doses. Did anyone else experience such high doses initiated right up front?

I am sorry to vent. I just feel like that doc had n still has no right to be practicing. N to add to that the over 50 shock treatments I had!! It just doesn't add up to me. It seems so risky to start people at such high doses.

Was on antidepressants on and off from 2000-2007 dx with MDD n anxiety.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

Went through over 50 shock treatments n put on Invega in addition

Spring 2014, made the decision to try to get off some meds.

11 weeks ago I qt quit invega

10/6 reinstated 150 mg of Wellbutrin

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Progress not perfection!!

I'm just really curious about my drug cocktail n other people's cocktails or doses.

It appears to me that my pdoc was over eagerly prescribing meds. I was never started on low doses of my meds.

I started at 6 mg of invega then upped to 9 mg in two weeks

My Prozac started on 40mg

My wellbutrin was started at 300 mg then upped to 450mg

Lamotrigine was started at 300 mg

Trazadone lowest dose 150 mg

Xanax 2 mg

Ritalin 30 mg 3 times a day!!

It just seems like my pdoc went crazy on prescription meds n doses. Did anyone else experience such high doses initiated right up front?

I am sorry to vent. I just feel like that doc had n still has no right to be practicing. N to add to that the over 50 shock treatments I had!! It just doesn't add up to me. It seems so risky to start people at such high doses.

2009- had like a physical breakdown. Was exhausted n not functioning properly. Still have depression n had become suicidal. Shrink dx bipolar while I never had a single manic episode. I got at least 8-9 hours of sleep every night. I required that to function since a child. I was admitted to the psych ward immediately. Was then put on a cocktail.

Lithium, lamotrigine, wellbutrin, prozac, depakote, Xanax, trazadone and ritalin.

I currently take 40 mg of prozac, 300 mg of lamotrigine, 1 mg of Xanax, 150 mg of trazadone

I am down from three medications. The forementioned others that I was initially put on I stopped prior to 2014.

I am hoping to be med free one day. I do not have any intention of stopping the current ones right now. I'm going to give my body a little more time to adjust.

Well Katie,

There's something called being coerced by a Psychiatrist #1, #2- the more meds he can give you the more income he gets because he now has a dependent patient who actually now NEEDS the drugs, He will continue to up and down your doses until YOU tell him to stop...The more sx's you discuss with him, the more liberal he will be with manipulating your brain chemistry and you...I am sorry you are on so many drugs..I am almost positive you do not FEEL right...or you just may be questioning the whole thing...In my personal opinion, he has you on way too many drugs...NOT necessary...The longer you continue to see him, the longer he gets paid and gets to up and down whatever he wants..After all..you have a label...not a mental illness...NOT sure how you were first introduced to all of this....but you are in the right place here to ask questions, look around and decide for yourself if you want to continue down a path that may lead to grave disability if not so already....

They think they know what they are doing...but in reality they don't...If you are over 18, Do you remember taking Chemistry class in High School...What happens when you mix acid and base mixtures? or other chemicals together?  I would ask your wonderful doctor, Why the need for 3 antidepressants? They are not really all that different although some are serotonin/norephinephrine uppers and others just SSRI's and some MAO's or Tricyclics...I think you know you don't need three...You have several things going on here...A heavy antipsychotic, a mood stabilizer, 3 antidepressants and a benzodiazepine for sleep/anxiety? And a stimulant (Ritalin) Guess they got you on generalized anxiety disorder/bipolar/ADHD, MDD?

If you do decide that you are on too much....unfortunately the docs are clueless about w/d, more worried about the liability and will string you along for years if they can and convince you that you NEED them like food and water....Fortunately you don't but do not take matters lightly here, DO NOT STOP immediately...Must be tapered slowly with the help of other withdrawlers for support...Your doctor if you start to have sx's from the changes will either drop you if you ask to withdraw, be unsupportive, or may begin to help you then may get scared when you present with sx's and try to convince you once again how you NEED the drugs and your mental illness is coming back...There are ways but not for the faint hearted...it is a rather scary process but one worth well investigating and gathering support before embarking on your own...True health comes from listening to your own body, mind and intuition...The reason you are on this board is because you have questions, you know things are not right with this doctor is sounds as to why he feels the need to increase everything....The best doctors are the ones who use the least amount of medication, allow the patient to make their own choices and inform before handing out psychoactives the risks involved and the near I say near impossibility of getting off....

Unfortunately there is no hope for recovery in Psychiatry...Just a lifetime of drugs, stigma, bias and coercion at best...I speak from my own experience of 29 years of drugs, 21 hospitalizations, 30-40 doctors, 25-30 drugs, physical compromise and now 54 days DRUG FREE of all psychobabbling psychiatrists...They tried to ruin me, take my life and my profession which I recently gave up due to the realization and awakening that I was better than that and had no interest playing games and being a liar that these drugs are highly dangerous,cause imbalances and do nothing to correct a Brain disease which if you look in the mirror its real hard to see that it is there....Unfortunately these drugs often make a patient worse, turn on them eventually and cause undue iatrogenic injury and well as physical problems and issues...Psychiatry relies on questionairres and often dx's a patient in 10-30 minutes based on a rundown of questions....

Look around on this site and read read read before you make any abrupt decisions...remember YOU are the patient and you pay this doctor...YOU are not his gravy train, you are not submissive and please do not get under the impression just because he has MD next to his name that he actually is an expert in mental health..They talk a good game and sound like they know..but guess what? They don't...and the sooner you realize this, the better off you will be...We grew up TRUSTING the guys in the white coats...after all they're doctors, they went to med school, - Yes this is true but also they are influenced by the mighty dollar and Big Pharma...A bad duo...There is only one Psychiatrist I know well maybe two who practice without giving meds....the rest are caught up in the mix and match game, funding their homes and retirement portfolios claiming to be helping people when in reality they are really harming the population and causing disability by insisting they know all about Mental Illness, the dx's and the drugs and will fight to make sure they keep you as a patient and brainwash you into believing you need what you need....They are a true breed- psychiatrists...one that I walked away from.......to gain my own health back.....BEFORE it killed me.....

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,

Ability,

I found a new doc. He is willing to assist me in tapering off. I quit the invega ct. It's been rough but I do feel like myself again. I'm just so missed to be given these high doses of drugs immediately. When I read people taking 10-40 mg I think that's great. Except I take 40 of prozac. I feel like using my old shrink!! He is the one who disabled me!!

• 3 months later...

aajamilkhan,

Please start a topic for yourself in our Introductions forum. The instructions are in the link in the little blurb attached to my name in this post.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.