SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Lawsuits about psychiatric drug adverse effects and withdrawal

Shanti

Has anyone contacted a lawyer about their withdrawal? I wrote to one but didn't hear back from him. Are there any class action lawsuits about this?

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

I contacted 2 lawyers back in July when it ws suspected that I had endocrine involvement possibly worsened by ADs. This was NOT withdrawal related and I didn't have much info when I called. They said to call back when my doc would say that there was causation.

I called 2 lawyers listed in Peter Breggin's book.

At ISEPP Conference in LA, I spoke w/lawyer from a firm in Los Angeles who is pursuing antidepressants lawsuits although I don't know if they've looked at WD specifically.

Let me find their info and get it to you, Shanti.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Has anyone contacted a lawyer about their withdrawal? I wrote to one but didn't hear back from him. Are there any class action lawsuits about this?

I understand it is very hard to sue unless suicide is involved. And even then, it is tough.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

I pursued this very thoroughly. No injury lawsuit attorneys will take withdrawal cases any more, since the drug companies put the warnings about withdrawal on antidepressant package inserts.

The injury attorneys are only taking suicide cases or cases where a newborn was injured by medications taken by the mother.

You might be able to sue the doctor, but that's long, complicated, and expensive. You'll have to pay an attorney out-of-pocket.

If you've ever had a psychiatric diagnosis, they can easily say your symptoms are relapse. Also, your own statements will lack credibility because of the psychiatric diagnosis. You have to hire experts to support your claim.

The process will rake over your medical history, personal life, and psychiatric state in great detail and can be quite traumatic in itself.

If you ever have a spare $100,000, you might want to give it a shot.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yep, I called the lawyers when I was enraged and thought my case was different-ha! The disproven chemical imbalance theory will probably play to their advantage at some point.

I wasn't even aware of wd at that point.

The lawyer I talked to was with a woman whose husband commited suicide on Zoloft.

There were succesful class action suits against Lilly/Zyprexa w/diabetes. Measureable lab values, weight gain in short time on drug.

I'm having a hard time this week w/the injustice system -- Penn State, the teacher bullying the disabled student and this. It sucks to realize how little power I have and the legal system will protect the ones doing harm (in our case).

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

When it comes to getting psychiatry straightened out, we have to do it ourselves, Bar.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

When it comes to getting psychiatry straightened out, we have to do it ourselves, Bar.

Perhaps an implosion ?

• Administrator

Perhaps an implosion ?

Can gasbags implode?

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

UK cancels legal aid for Seroxat withdrawal group litigation

http://www.thelawyer.com/cases-in-point/1010834.article

Pills and bellyaches

Funding also became an issue in the Seroxat Group Litigation Order (GLO). More than 500 claimants joined the GLO against pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline UK, alleging to have suffered withdrawal ­effects when reducing, discontinuing or attempting to discontinue use of the antidepressant Seroxat. It was ­alleged that such suffering amounted to personal injury.

According to a lawyer close to the case the claimant numbers have fallen dramatically as a result of the withdrawal of legal aid. This was made particularly contentious ­because the firm used to represent the claimants, Cardiff-headquartered Hugh James, revised down the considered success of the case, forming the basis for the withdrawal of state funding.

It is understood that 125 claimants will continue to pursue the action but that they will be looking for a new law firm to represent them. Meanwhile, a group of the remaining claimants are appealing the Legal Services ­Commission’s decision to cancel the legal aid.

Edited by Altostrata
merged similar topics

• 7 months later...

Nineteen law suits filed against Pfizer in W. Virginia, all focused on birth defects, an increase of which while taking Zoloft apparently has been fairly well documented in the past several years. http://fortworth.legalexaminer.com/fda-and-prescription-drugs/new-zoloft-heart-defect-and-birth-defect-lawsuits-filed-in-west-virginia.aspx?googleid=303540

Towards the end of the article it mentions there are more than a hundred extant such suits in other states and that they are likely to be "funneled" to eastern district court.

Interestingly, the article says the suits charged Pfizer either knew or "should have known" about such effects. No idea on the legal particulars, but if they can be held responsible for a LACK of information they "should" have had (i.e., proper research and risk asessment prior to going to market) that would seem to possibly open up other avenues. Of course, we then have to look at the FDA, which was supposed to have oversight. To play a bit of devil's advocate: should a corporation that is legally required to maximize profits for its shareholders be held responsible for FDA not holding its feet to the fire? Of course then we have the recent Glaxo business, where they clearly committed out-and-out fraud. Who knows where the precise mix of responsibility lies.

Somewhere else today (sorry, forget where!) there was also mention of recent research showing somewhat less but still significant increase in birth defects even when women had discontinued use prior to pregnancy.

1994-2009 50-100 mg Zoloft (plus tried Effexor, Lexapro, Wellbutrin at times)
5/'09-7/'09 taper off Zoloft
7/'09-12/'09 no zoloft, rough times after ~ 2 mos.
1/'10-6/'10 50 mg zoloft
6/'10-1/'11 slow taper
2/'11-7/'11 off entirely, ok for 2-3 mos., then rough
7/'11-9/'11 50 mg
9/15/'11 - 11/15/'11 taper off
11/15/'11 - 2/'11 clean, doing well but with some PSSD
2/'11 - 6/'11 depression creeps back, fairly significant by May.

6/'14 (long time...!)  life is good, full recovery, at least in terms of SSRI addiction.  Still digging out from the social and professional hole that it all left me in, but despite the loss of far too many years to this business I'm basically doing pretty well.  Still some depression at times, even severe on occasion, but clearly related to past trauma and current circumstances, all things that I am continuing to work through and work on.  I'd say it took at least six months and perhaps a year to fully get back to normal (neuro-psychologically and sexually) after the last dose in 2011.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if one has been filed, or a petition pending due to PWS or PSSD?

Diagnosed with OCD in 2004

8 years on Lexapro (20 mg) and Klonopin (1 mg)

Quit Lexapro in March, 2012 due to poop-out

Started Prozac (40 mg) and quit in December, 2012 due to severe gastritis

Started Zoloft (50 mg) in May, 2013 and quit 10 days later (abruptly, the day after going up to 75 mg on my own).

WITHDRAWAL/PSSD SYNDROME BEGAN

Today I am taking 1 mg Klonopin along with 300 mg Wellbutrin XL

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

NOTE Also see

2009: FDA hears testimony about Cymbalta discontinuation syndrome

Study finds some Cymbalta withdrawal "severe and persistant"

Doctor is shocked at severe Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

This is a press release seeking leads for lawyers http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1532756

To send an inquiry, see http://injury-law.freeadvice.com/injury-law/drug-toxic_chemicals/cymbalta-lawsuits.htm

It is not clear what firm, if any, is pursuing these lawsuits.

Patients Suffering Withdrawal Symptoms from Major Antidepressant Drug Suspect Manufacturer Hid Risk of Side Effect

Consumers who have suffered from withdrawal of Eli Lilly & Company's anti-depressant Cymbalta have reason to believe the drug manufacturer was aware of the risk of side effects but failed to disclose information to the general public.

SAUSALITO, CA, October 18, 2013 /24-7PressRelease/ -- Patients using the anti-depressant drug, Cymbalta, have reported a number of physical and emotional side effects suffered after attempting to stop use of the drug. The drug's manufacturer, Eli Lilly & Company, has come under fire for failing to disclose the risks of Cymbalta withdrawal and promoting use of the drug while downplaying its side effects.

Free Advice has released new articles covering Cymbalta withdrawal to provide consumers with more information on what symptoms to expect and how injured patients can pursue legal action.

FDA Finds Evidence of Cymbalta Side Effects The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has investigated Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms, and released the results of an agency study that found:

- Clinical studies of abrupt discontinuation of Cymbalta show that withdrawal occurred in 44 to 50% of patients

- Of patients suffering withdrawal symptoms, 10% of those were severe

- Half of the patients who reported Cymbalta withdrawal had not resolved the side effects at the end of the two week study

Patients in the FDA study displayed a wide array of physical and emotional side effects as a result of abrupt discontinuation of Cymbalta use, including:

- Suicidal thoughts
- Tremors
- Nausea
- Appetite changes and weight gain
- Insomnia
- Full body shaking
- Tunnel vision

The FDA's study also pointed out that there had been "a serious breakdown at both the FDA and the manufacturer, Eli Lilly and Company, in providing adequate warnings and instructions about how to manage [the side effects]," which suggests that Eli Lilly was aware of the potential side effects from Cymbalta withdrawal and provided neither the FDA nor the American public with adequate warning of the risks.

Eli Lilly's History of Misleading Cymbalta Advertisements According to patients who have suffered Cymbalta withdrawal, Eli Lilly mislead consumers with a series of aggressive advertisements that highlighted the positive effects of Cymbalta and downplayed, or ignored, the potential risks of withdrawal side effects. As more patients come forward with complaints of withdrawal symptoms, Eli Lilly's recent history of unlawful promotion of the drug could suggest the company was aware of Cymbalta's risks and failed to disclose them to consumers.

Eli Lilly was fined in 2007 and 2009 by the FDA for unlawfully promoting Cymbalta through mailings that gave false statements that overstated the effect of the drug and downplaying clinical studies that revealed risks of Cymbalta withdrawal. Further, the company has been accused of selectively publishing study results that over-exaggerate the effect of Cymbalta and hide the risks.

Misleading Claims About Cymbalta Side Effects Could Lead to Lawsuits Citing the history of Eli Lilly's fines by the FDA and the suspicion that the company provided misleading study results, patients claim that the company has established a pattern of falsified advertising to press Cymbalta on patients without adequate warning of the risks. Attorneys preparing legal action against the company claim that Eli Lilly was aware of the moderate to severe side effects associated with Cymbalta withdrawal, promoted use of the drug without warning of these risks, and caused patients who used the drug unaware of the consequences significant injury. By arguing that Eli Lilly Company was aware of Cymbalta side effects and downplayed them to promote use of the drug, patients and their attorneys will look to hold the drug manufacturer liable for medical bills and pain & suffering damages. For more information, click here for Free Advice's latest article about Cymbalta lawsuits.

As more patients come forward, experienced lawyers are offering consultations with people who have suffered moderate to severe side effects from Cymbalta withdrawal. Typical symptoms last for several weeks after ceasing the use of Cymbalta, or are so severe as to prevent the patient from being able to stop use of the drug. If you or a loved one has suffered from Cymbalta withdrawal, click here for a FREE case evaluation by an experienced attorney. --- Press release service and press release distribution provided by http://www.24-7pressrelease.com

Edited by Altostrata
added note

• 4 months later...

There has to be some known addictive substance being put into these medications, no?

Just like big tobacco and the nicotine. Creating customers for life!

• 2 months later...

Thank you Alto.

My mom is on Cymbalta and experienced DS after missing one dose. Well duh - 

Unfortunately some people can't believe it until they experience DS...and they switch teams and are astonished. 

I'M A WEANER!  :D 
atavan PRN ,Paxil approx 20 yrs ago for major depression
Switched to Klonopin PRN through to current
Paxil wore out
Changed to Effexor 
Depakote added
enormous weight gain - flat affect - led to depression - dropped depakote
Dropped Effexor, changed to Paxil 
PDoc added mixed salts amphetamines for ADHD - took for 2 yrs - was ok at first but had to cut as symptoms too intense -  then the crash was too much. STOPPED
Vyvanse started in 2013 (APRIL) - more smooth than IR amphetamine tabs---Have not used vyvanse daily in full amt since May 2013 

Paxil CT withdrawal 10/2012  :wacko:  Klonopin CT WD

Switched Klonopin to Xanax prn  - too strong

WD CT from XANAX after taking for a while - it was awful but can be done if you hold on!

Back to Klonopin PRN - working very hard to avoid taking it at all. 

Effexor 37.5 started 02/2013, 75mg by 03/2013, 150mg by 05/2012 (approx)  :blush:

Effexor 150mg 3/10/2014 Microtaper -3beads  :unsure:

3/11/2014-4beads ,3/12/14 - 5, 3/13/14 -6, 3/15/14 - 7, 3/18 - 8, 3/22 - 10, 3/24 - 12, 4/6 - 13, 4/7 - 14, 4/11 - 16 - on 4/19 ran out of brand took generic. Bad move. Back on brand on 4/20 and updosed 2 beads. 5/1 - 15, 5/6 - 16, 5/9 -17, 55/10 -17, 5/15 -18, 5/21 -19, 5/24 -20, 6/3 - 21, 6/6 -23, 6/13 -24,6/19- 25, 6/21 -26, 6/25 -27

6/28 -28, 6/29 -30, 7/3 -34, 7/8 -35, 7/17 -36, 7/30 -41,7/31 -42, 8/2 -43, 8/3 -44, 8/5 -45, 8/14 -48, 8/26-50, 9/24 -53, 10/24 -55, 12/1 -57, (lost the tally sheet, thus taper info for some of it), 4/19-63, 4/26-64, 4/30-65 Switched to wt reduction - now @ -.068, 7/14 -.070, August 2015 -.074, between Sept & October 10 -.077, Nov. -.078(feeling great), -.090 as of 1/10/16, down to  -.101 since January 2016 (it is now 6/24/16), -.105 as of 8/13/16

Ladies, please don't underestimate the possibility of perimenopause. The symptoms can be similar to, may intensify & in some cases mimic protracted w/d from ssri's & benzo's. 

I'M A WEANER!  :D 
atavan PRN ,Paxil approx 20 yrs ago for major depression
Switched to Klonopin PRN through to current
Paxil wore out
Changed to Effexor 
Depakote added
enormous weight gain - flat affect - led to depression - dropped depakote
Dropped Effexor, changed to Paxil 
PDoc added mixed salts amphetamines for ADHD - took for 2 yrs - was ok at first but had to cut as symptoms too intense -  then the crash was too much. STOPPED
Vyvanse started in 2013 (APRIL) - more smooth than IR amphetamine tabs---Have not used vyvanse daily in full amt since May 2013 

Paxil CT withdrawal 10/2012  :wacko:  Klonopin CT WD

Switched Klonopin to Xanax prn  - too strong

WD CT from XANAX after taking for a while - it was awful but can be done if you hold on!

Back to Klonopin PRN - working very hard to avoid taking it at all. 

Effexor 37.5 started 02/2013, 75mg by 03/2013, 150mg by 05/2012 (approx)  :blush:

Effexor 150mg 3/10/2014 Microtaper -3beads  :unsure:

3/11/2014-4beads ,3/12/14 - 5, 3/13/14 -6, 3/15/14 - 7, 3/18 - 8, 3/22 - 10, 3/24 - 12, 4/6 - 13, 4/7 - 14, 4/11 - 16 - on 4/19 ran out of brand took generic. Bad move. Back on brand on 4/20 and updosed 2 beads. 5/1 - 15, 5/6 - 16, 5/9 -17, 55/10 -17, 5/15 -18, 5/21 -19, 5/24 -20, 6/3 - 21, 6/6 -23, 6/13 -24,6/19- 25, 6/21 -26, 6/25 -27

6/28 -28, 6/29 -30, 7/3 -34, 7/8 -35, 7/17 -36, 7/30 -41,7/31 -42, 8/2 -43, 8/3 -44, 8/5 -45, 8/14 -48, 8/26-50, 9/24 -53, 10/24 -55, 12/1 -57, (lost the tally sheet, thus taper info for some of it), 4/19-63, 4/26-64, 4/30-65 Switched to wt reduction - now @ -.068, 7/14 -.070, August 2015 -.074, between Sept & October 10 -.077, Nov. -.078(feeling great), -.090 as of 1/10/16, down to  -.101 since January 2016 (it is now 6/24/16), -.105 as of 8/13/16

Ladies, please don't underestimate the possibility of perimenopause. The symptoms can be similar to, may intensify & in some cases mimic protracted w/d from ssri's & benzo's. 

"Fortunately, for such persons seeking compensation, pediatricians are aware of the signs of a newborn with Effexor effects. Unfortunately, the situation creates a quagmire in choosing whether to wean off the expectant woman off the drug and or keep the expecting woman on the drug and face possible birth defects in the newborn in the near future."

this is as close as they get to saying withdrawal is a physical thing... detrimental to the developing fetus...

"create a non- conducive fetal environment that is hostile to the unborn child"

I guess if they spelled it out it would open a door for withdrawal damages in men and woman not fetuses. 

I am aware there are claims for all antidepressants in birth defects.  I am interested in an adult claim for side effects withdrawal and damages to the body. 

Much of what is in the current warning for effexor does not apply to me as it came out in 2004 I started effexor in 2000. The FDA has countless warning updates for this drug. 

I have not heard of legal cases in Canada not yet. 

Thanks for the link. 

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 3 months later...

Current withdrawal lawsuit info for Cymbalta can be found here (includes link to legal website where you can apply to be part of class actions if they are in your area):

http://fiddaman.blogspot.ca/2014/08/eli-lilly-to-face-cymbalta-lawsuits.html

Here's a quote from the legal office that is taking some of the cases:

“We believe that Lilly’s warning that Cymbalta withdrawal occurs at a rate greater than or equal to 1% is deceptive.  It is just a sleight of hand.  One of Lilly’s own studies shows that over 50% of patients experience withdrawal when they stop Cymbalta.  1% is not 50%, not even close.  A drug label is not the place to play games with words.  It is a place to honestly inform doctors and patients about the benefits and risks of medicines so they can make informed choices.  Our clients feel strongly that they were betrayed by Lilly and we will do all we can to ensure their voices are heard by the courts.” - R. Brent Wisner, Baum, Hedlund, Aristei & Goldman, P.C

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

To the mods, I am posting this here and in the media section hoping more people will see it.  I hope that is okay.

Current withdrawal lawsuit info for Cymbalta can be found here (includes link to legal website where you can apply to be part of class actions if they are in your area):

http://fiddaman.blogspot.ca/2014/08/eli-lilly-to-face-cymbalta-lawsuits.html

Here's a quote from the legal office that is taking some of the cases:

“We believe that Lilly’s warning that Cymbalta withdrawal occurs at a rate greater than or equal to 1% is deceptive.  It is just a sleight of hand.  One of Lilly’s own studies shows that over 50% of patients experience withdrawal when they stop Cymbalta.  1% is not 50%, not even close.  A drug label is not the place to play games with words.  It is a place to honestly inform doctors and patients about the benefits and risks of medicines so they can make informed choices.  Our clients feel strongly that they were betrayed by Lilly and we will do all we can to ensure their voices are heard by the courts.” - R. Brent Wisner, Baum, Hedlund, Aristei & Goldman, P.C

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Administrator

One topic is fine -- keeps discussion in one place. Thanks, Unfolding.

• 2 months later...

Hi.  I have a friend that I believe may have suffered from withdrawal syndrome.  Which resulted in aggression, violence and arrest.  I'm interested if anyone has advice or information on how withdrawal syndrome has been addressed in legal situations and what results were.  I'd be happy to provide more details if it would be helpful.  Thanks for any help that you can offer.

read Peter Breggin's "Medication Madness" - it's full of stories of legal situations regarding drugs. it may give you some ideas. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Hi.  I have a friend that I believe may have suffered from withdrawal syndrome.  Which resulted in aggression, violence and arrest.  I'm interested if anyone has advice or information on how withdrawal syndrome has been addressed in legal situations and what results were.  I'd be happy to provide more details if it would be helpful.  Thanks for any help that you can offer.

sdb3000,

I have seen TV advertisements from law firms about contacting them if you have suffered adverse affects from psych meds.   Maybe these same folks would be helpful regarding your friend?  Unfortunately, I forgot the names but may be a google search will find some possibilities?

I could have easily been in your friend's situation and thank my lucky stars I wasn't.   Best of luck to him/her.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

I would contact Dr. Breggin, who has for decades testified as a psychiatric expert in just these sorts of cases. He may not be taking new cases but he might know whom to refer your friend to. Good luck!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

If you can't get Dr. Breggin you could also try contacting Dr. David Healy, he might also have some suggestions. He's been an expert witness in legal cases as well I believe.  He's in Wales though so I'd try Breggin first.

It doesn't hurt to try Dr. Breggin.  Unfortunately, he may not be very responsive as in the past, on other issues, he has claimed to be too busy.

Thanks everyone for replying and for your advice.  I'm going to follow up on these.  Please continue to post if new ideas arise.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Eli Lilly & Co., the producer of the popular antidepressant Cymbalta (duloxetine), is facing a spate of litigation over injuries associated with the drug. Plaintiffs allege that Cymbalta can cause severe withdrawal symptoms, including dizziness, nausea, headache, fatigue, paresthesia, vomiting, irritability, nightmares, insomnia, diarrhea, anxiety, hyperhidrosis, and vertigo within 12 hours of missing a single dose. Over 28 lawsuits have now been filed before 22 district courts and 21 different judges. Attorneys for the plaintiffs have now asked the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) to consolidate these actions in a California federal court.

The petition filed with the JPML states that “it is likely that many hundreds of cases will be filed during the course of this litigation.” This expected amount of cases with similar facts and injuries generally warrant the creation of a Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) in order to increase the efficiency of pretrial proceedings. In an MDL, discovery and pretrial proceedings affect all cases in the MDL, leading to reduced costs for both parties, as well as consistent rulings from the Court.

Cymbalta was approved by the FDA in 2004 for the treatment of major depressive order. It was later approved in 2007 for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder, and in 2008, for the treatment of fibromyalgia. Eli Lilly has also been accused by Plaintiffs of marketing the drug with overstated efficacy rates and understated withdrawal effects.

In fact, Eli Lilly’s own clinical studies show that at least 44.3% of Cymbalta patients exhibited side effects when they stopped taking the drug. Despite this finding, the label for Cymbalta clearly states that these withdrawal symptoms are rare and only effect 1% of users. Plaintiffs also allege that Eli Lilly’s usage of the word “discontinuation” instead of “withdrawal” when describing the effects of withdrawal from Cymbalta shows the company’s gross understatement of the side effects of Cymbalta.

Effects of Withdrawal
The effects of Cymbalta withdrawal can be very painful and disturbing for many victims of the drug. Some patients describe “brain zaps” which literally feel like the brain has been shocked. This side effect is often accompanied by severe dizziness and is seemingly random. Others report suicidal ideation, insomnia, and painful headaches. The withdrawals can last for several months.

What could cause such atypical withdrawal effects? Well, Cymbalta is not a typical antidepressant. Many older antidepressants are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI), like Prozac and Paxil. These drugs inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain which affects mood. SSRIs come with their own dangers and tolerability issues, but are older and better established. On the other hand, Cymbalta is in a class of drugs called selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) which are newer and less studied. Eli Lilly even admits (along with other SNRI manufacturers) that the precise mechanism of action for this class of drugs is not clear.

Cymbalta was only created after Eli Lilly’s patent on Prozac expired. Prozac has a very long half-life (the time it takes for the drug to be eliminated from the body) which Eli Lilly argued contributed to its low withdrawal rates. Cymbalta, on the other hand, is eliminated quickly from the body, which could be the cause of its more severe side effects from withdrawal.

Although these cases are still in the early stages of litigation, we do hope that the victims of this dangerous drug achieve the justice they deserve. Big pharmaceutical companies too often understate or downplay the risks of their drugs despite evidence to the contrary. Patients need to be informed of all of the risks before they put an unknown substance into their body.

-- a press report from attorneys at http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/cymbalta-withdrawal-cases-may-soon-have-05251/

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope this is successful and leads the way for all the others to be brought to justice too. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

A similar group action regarding Paxil withdrawal was responsible for putting withdrawal warnings on all SSRIs.

Effexor is a SNRI antidepressant too.

Do people heal from this evil drug...???

At almost 2 and a half years off, I have seen a lot of improvement, but still struggling with lingering issues like scary broken sleep,(not able to sleep even 2 hrs in a row) and bad premature ejaculation.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

I went through 2 weeks of horrible w/d from Cymbalta after only being ON it for 19 days.  A lot of GI problems and hypomania.  My GP thought I had gallstones. Nasty, nasty drug.

Personal history of GAD and 4 melancholic depressive episodes - two treated with Amityptline

Family history of Bipolar Disorder - goes back at least 3 generations

Adult son with autism, ADHD, intellectual disability and Bipolar II

Put on Aropax / Paxil in July 1997 for anther episode.  Decision to stay on it - worst decision of my life.

Began to poop out in late 2008. Switched to Lexapro March 2009.  Made me suicidal.  Tried Cymbalta for 19 days. Horrible w/d.

Found PP and RI'd Aropax at about the same time - August 2009.  Began slow taper in 2010. Crashed in 13-11mg range in mid 2013.  Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct 2013 in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/longing-for-life/id958423649  My book about my unsuccessful journey through IVF

• 2 weeks later...

Cymbalta, on the other hand, is eliminated quickly from the body, which could be the cause of its more severe side effects from withdrawal.

I'll testify to that. Wd symptoms (I now know that is what they were) started in as little as 8 hours after a missed dose and were experienced as a weird kind of 'headache', like an aura and included a lot of head and neck tension. I think the aura thing was the precursor to zaps.

My post CT withdrawal from it gave me a headache that lasted 3 days, felt like someone jammed a hot poker into my head and sent me to the ER finally. I also puked up everything I tried to eat or drink including pain pills. The zaps came later. GI disturbances and the most furious, quick and murderous temper I have ever had (and I know temper!)

Completely, utterly nasty piece of work that drug is if you do not come off it properly. My pdoc says she told me. It numbed me up so much that if she did, I never remembered it.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Another vote for Effexor. And from what I have heard, Paxil. To think Dr Ajang gave me a free sample of Cymbalta last fall when I went to him complaining of Effexor w/d. I googled it when I got home and was horrified to see that people were talking about it online like I talk about Effexor!

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Have no idea how the diff SNRIs differ chemically. You see that reply I made to your post about flipping coin? It is either the way the drugs are formulated (like using a left-twist molecule as opposed to a right-twist one) by the diff manufacturers or something or else it is individual physiology differences. Or crap the drug companies added to their version of a SNRI pill to make it 'cooler'.

All a buncha crap IMO. They have to differ chemically or else they are cribbing off each other. And we can't have that, now can we.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Going to go look at your reply now.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg