British Parliament, press debate psych drug addiction

angie007

This was published in the Scottish Daily Mail yesterday 28/06/11

Click on link below to read.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2011-06-23a.1386.1&s=speaker%3a136633#g1386.2

The Earl of Sandwich = John Sandwich is drawing attention to drug dependence and withdrawal issues in the House of Lords here in the Uk,

after a member of his family was afflicted by benzodiazepine withdrawal.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Yet another article in yesterdays Daily Mail Uk 28/06/11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2008864/Drugs-Some-combinations-common-ones-cause-early-death.html.

This journalist is talking about SeroxaT/Paxil, as a typical antidepressant.

It really is not often you read about Seroxat anymore, wonder why she picked out that one.

The article makes lots of sense as combinations of drugs are bound to have a cumulative effect, just why ??? Seroxat.

Seroxat is now bottom of the league table and Citalopram ( escitalapram) is top.

Maybe????? because its not so heavily prescribed anymore, lets hope this means the word is really getting out!!!!!!!!

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Thank you to Squirrel for sending the above links and doing the research for us guys.

• Administrator

Brilliant work, squirrel and ang -- and hooray for the Earl of Sandwich.

(There were some errors in the links; I corrected them -- please copy and paste links from your browser address bar.)

This article deserves to be posted, as it recaps the history of benzo addiction and shows that, although the UK health system still has not taken sufficient steps to deal with this problem, conscientious doctors like Heather Ashton have made the UK much more enlightened about this than anywhere else in the world.

Lord Sandwich's relative is indeed showing classic signs of prolonged benzo withdrawal syndrome.

John Sandwich: The coalition says this will be a priority. That's what the last government said, too

Sunday, 7 November 2010

Last month I asked the Government what progress they had made with their review of policy on addiction to, and withdrawal from, tranquillisers and other prescribed drugs such as Valium and Ativan. After all, it is nearly 40 years since Professors Peter Tyrer and Malcolm Lader identified problems of addiction in the 1970s, and 25 years since Professor Heather Ashton of Newcastle University and others published their research, as a result of which GPs and NHS staff for a time became much more aware of the dangers.

The reason I put the question is that a relative of mine has been badly let down by the medical profession, which originally prescribed him clonazepam (a benzodiazepine, like Valium) as a sleeping aid in 2002. For the past 19 months, he has lived a half life in his room, suffering acute psychological and physical symptoms such as agoraphobia, panic attacks, muscle pain, insomnia, dizziness, blurred vision, tinnitus, sweating and nausea. He has been unable to work or to contribute fully to the life of his young family.

My question, and the debate which followed in the House of Lords, led to a number of predictable ministerial promises.

They claim drug dependency will become one of their priorities. They will conduct a literature review and an "audit of selected primary care trust prescribing data". They will map the available services and consider how PCTs might support them. They say they will include prescribed drugs in a new drugs strategy and a public health White Paper, both to be published later this year.

I hope I am wrong, but I am not confident that very much will happen. The last government made similar promises, and yet today there is only one NHS-funded support centre, in Oldham, despite the fact that these patients have become addicted as a result of drugs prescribed via the NHS. Few people realise that the symptoms during withdrawal are in most cases worse than those from illegal drugs, and there are many thousands more prescribed drug victims than there are heroin addicts.

What, for example, has been done about warnings? Doctors regularly ignore the British National Formulary guidelines. Labels are inadequate: they should be as prominent as cigarette warnings. The current advice is that addiction can develop within two to four weeks. And yet Professor Steven Field, the chairman of the Royal College of General Practitioners, warned last year that patients can "get hooked" after only three or four days.

The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction is seeking to confront the MRC and to achieve transparency in the health service. Following today's revelations, someone in authority must take responsibility.

The Earl of Sandwich is the vice-chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Involuntary Tranquilliser Addiction

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.